Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Yerok posted:

RPG killed two helicopters in my first beta match, and landed a well aimed infantry RPG snipe from a parachute. Did they increase the projectile velocity again or something? It doesn't feel as fast as the Carl G was in Bad Company 2 or anything but it seems quicker than BF3.

Yeah, they increased the velocity by quite a bit from BF3. I also think it has slightly less drop but that might be the increased velocity loving with my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
The first thing I noticed before losing connection to the server in about 10 minutes is how inaccurate the Coaxials are overall on the vehicles. I guess they designed it so that you and a co-gunner are supposed to blanket a wide area with bullets to promote teamwork and also give ATs a fighting chance instead of getting lasered by a single pilot vehicle.

Seems to run OK and I'm playing with a GTX 470 on an i5-3570K. Probably going to end up shelving Planetside2 until they get major updates out and give BF4 a chance even though BF3 was, overall, a bummer.

So when do we get grappling hooks and zip lines?!

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Bolow posted:

It takes 2 C4 to kill a tank. I've never seen a tank eat 3 bricks and I've been playing nothing but Recon since I finished unlocking all of the gadgets.

Is that from the rear? I usually plant on the side.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Carbon Deity posted:

Side, rear, wherever. 2 C4 is the golden rule of c4 in BF games.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Carbon Deity posted:

Anywhere. I've planted it on the front, side, underneath, above, behind. Never had a problem destroying a tank.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
The proper jihad jeep configuration is 2 on the hood and 2 front-wheel spinnaz, why are you using only 2 charges? :colbert:

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Alehkhs posted:

For interested parties, here is the official Battlefield 4 Main Theme.

For comparison, here is the official Battlefield 3 Main Theme.

The new theme kinda sucks. Not that it matters, because it hardly plays in-game anyway, like BF3.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rolling Scissors posted:

I hope with beta being an old build, that in the final game you can do a stairs slide jump with the jet ski and this wasn't just false advertising:

http://youtu.be/1SRxs5xYWuo?t=2m11s

If I try that in the beta it just hits an invisible wall. Pre-order cancelled :colbert:.

Holy shiiiiit I can't wait for all that to unlock. Also, those jets look amazing.

Gazaar posted:

drat straight. The third is for trapping the elevator after you take out a tank.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 6, 2013

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Man this game is pretty ugly on the 360. Still, lots of fun! Looking forward to having this on the ps4 :getin:

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I played a couple more rounds today and enjoyed it more than yesterday. Probably because I was playing on a more populated server. Felt more chaotic and hectic.

I'm still baffled as to why everything underwater looks ugly as sin, though. For as good as most of the game looks, it's pretty jarring to go underwater and see that. It's like they haven't changed it at all since BF2.

I don't think all of the stuff is in yet. The rubble after the skyscraper falls looks like rear end and I find it hard to believe those are the final textures.

Zzulu posted:

Well I just tried the beta. Got a lot of random stuttering for no good reason. Basically great fps->superstutter->great fps which ruined a lot of the experience for me
Check if your CPU is choking. Some have suggested setting the priority in the task manager to low to help with this. For some reason my computer gives back an error that I can't change that to me so :shrug:

Carbon Deity posted:

I really want to like the return of the Spec Ops class, but the C4 just feels like it's been neutered. It takes all three to MAYBE kill a tank, and forget jihading, which will at most disable unless you get really lucky.

2 bricks has been working just fine for me. Although I do tend to go for the back when the tank is looking the other way.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
First impression: Spawn with my back towards a tank, get oneshotted by said tank. A few instagibs by tanks, snipers and an attack helicopter later, I run into some other infantrymen. I plink at the first one with my dinky semi auto rifle that takes more then 3 shots to kill somebody, he ineffectively plinks back, I get sniped and he dies to a friendly tank. A few more instagibs later, I manage to headshot some other infantry. Then my killstreak is cut short by a sniper. I eventually get myself up to 7-12 and then I get killed by a guy who, according to the killcam, is on the far side of a steel barrier. Next I get exploded by a tank again, spawn with my back to enemy and promptly die and my final respawn was on a teammate who was sitting behind a dustbin. Then I get oneshotted by the sniper who pinned him there and the game ends with me at 7-16.

Are any plans for a map without tanks, helicopters and snipers who get to sit on 50 story building with no apparent way to get up there besides the helicopters? Or at least maps where everybody gets a chance at the invulnerable instagib vehicles because I never saw any opportunity to get into any of them myself.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Asehujiko posted:

Are any plans for a map without tanks, helicopters and snipers who get to sit on 50 story building with no apparent way to get up there besides the helicopters? Or at least maps where everybody gets a chance at the invulnerable instagib vehicles because I never saw any opportunity to get into any of them myself.

First, there aren't any classes that spawn with a semi-auto rifle at the start, did you accidentally set yours to single-fire by pressing V?

Second, you might try Domination, which is infantry-only on a much smaller map, very much like the CoD game mode. If that's not your thing then you'll just kinda have to get used to the way Battlefield works, as your experience is fairly normal.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Battlefield probably isn't for you then. There's a massive amount of routes to bypass tanks that they're essentially a non-issue. Especially since every class can do decent damage to them now. I can't stand the DMR's but the Carbines and the Shotguns are both excellent alternatives for a Recon.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Naturally Selected posted:

drat straight. The third is for trapping the elevator after you take out a tank.

Just got a multikill at the top of D doing this. :clint:

*ding dong*

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Soarer posted:

Check if your CPU is choking. Some have suggested setting the priority in the task manager to low to help with this. For some reason my computer gives back an error that I can't change that to me so :shrug:

This seemed to help me, thanks for posting it. If anyone else is having the stutter problem but still high fps you should try the low priority fix.

Then I hit caps lock and my game turned into a 3d rainbow.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Does anyone know for sure if damage against vehicles works in BF4 like it does for BC2 and BF3? I've been assuming so but I'm not sure.

For new people: vehicles take more damage the more of a straight on 90 degree shot they take to any side. So glancing shots do less damage. Also tanks have most armor on front, some armor on sides, and just about zero armor on their rear end. Shoot tank asses.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Carbon Deity posted:

Just got a multikill at the top of D doing this. :clint:

*ding dong*

The worst feeling when you're going up to clear out a sniper's nest. *ding dong* Hey why is that guy not shoo-OH gently caress.

Also, I'm kinda pissed that on the large version of the map, D no longer has those ladders on the sides. Trying to clear out people too smart to eat XM25's is a bitch when the only entry points are the elevator and parachuting down.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Propaganda Hour posted:

Does anyone know for sure if damage against vehicles works in BF4 like it does for BC2 and BF3? I've been assuming so but I'm not sure.

For new people: vehicles take more damage the more of a straight on 90 degree shot they take to any side. So glancing shots do less damage. Also tanks have most armor on front, some armor on sides, and just about zero armor on their rear end. Shoot tank asses.

I'm not sure about the glancing shots doing less, but tank asses are definitely still the weak spot

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
I've found that a perpendicular side hit does more damage than a low angle rear hit, while I believe they did the same in BF3.

Also, there better be some DMRs in retail that don't suck dick cheese, getting 4-5 hits to kill is ridiculous.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Icept posted:

I've found that a perpendicular side hit does more damage than a low angle rear hit, while I believe they did the same in BF3.

Also, there better be some DMRs in retail that don't suck dick cheese, getting 4-5 hits to kill is ridiculous.

Yeah, though I'm preferring shottie recon as my battle recon

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Icept posted:

They'll be baller as gently caress in HC modes. Right now, if you're not frame or lag-spiking, the 110 and the RFB are both pretty drat good. Would benefit from getting an eotech/mag setup and a laser or muzzle brake, though.

VV Still trying to figure it out. It's nice if you can get headshots up close, because it concentrates the spread vertically, but I see very little benefit to it if you're engaging at ranges where pellets have time to spread out.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 6, 2013

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Also, question. What's the main use for the duckbill on the shotgun. Large spread against several people?

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

folgore posted:

The new theme kinda sucks. Not that it matters, because it hardly plays in-game anyway, like BF3.
Regardless of what you think of the theme it's still orders of magnitude better than the static mess from BF3.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I must be the only person who thinks that BF3 has better gun handling, and I didn't like BF3s gun handling to begin with :|

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Regardless of what you think of the theme it's still orders of magnitude better than the static mess from BF3.

They really need to go back to this sort of theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX-3b1DK-4s

Orv
May 4, 2011
Still love the 2142 soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R8KpDj9lhQ

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

:filez:

Asehujiko posted:

Domination and TDM.

Stanley Pain posted:

I must be the only person who thinks that BF3 has better gun handling, and I didn't like BF3s gun handling to begin with :|

You are crazy the gun handling in this game is leagues better than anything else.

keyframe fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 6, 2013

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

folgore posted:

The quality of the music in the series seems directly related to how long you're forced to listen to it. (In other words, it peaked with the BF2 loading screens.)

Orv
May 4, 2011
:golfclap:

Now do a code wheel.

A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010
NO THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING AS CHEX

A flying piece of posted:

This game is flat out not-fun-infuriating if you don't have 4 or more competent people on voice in a squad to play with.

I posted this earlier today. Now that I have the Type 88, I see that this post was a mistake. All hail the Type 88.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

A flying piece of posted:

I posted this earlier today. Now that I have the Type 88, I see that this post was a mistake. All hail the Type 88.

I can't stop firing that gun every two seconds because it is so loving satisfying to use and it sounds so good. :allears:

I hope we get the M60 the in the final game can't wait to see how that sounds like.

Also holy poo poo they improved the weapon models so much and the weapon camos look absolutely gorgeous. Maybe it's because I have been playing planetside for the longest time where the weapon camos all look like somebody took a poo poo on your gun.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Not that I would condone this type of behavior, but if you look straight up in a non-gunner seat on a somewhat stationary transport chopper, you can stick some C4 to the roof.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

My friend gets this when he tries to launch the beta, any ideas? He reinstalled windows literally less than a day ago, but he's sure he's got all the drivers for everything.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 6, 2013

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

KM Scorchio posted:

I haven't played a battlefield game befor and I'm loving running round popping tanks as an engineer with carbine for infantry work. Is there any standard setup gear wise I should be working towards?

No. This isn't an MMO. You use whatever you enjoy.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Yep. Same system. The difference is the move away from being always being disabled at a certain health threshold and the new system of critical hits and mobility kills.

Glancing shots can't be critical hits because of maths, but the direct 90 degree hits to the side and rear almost always are. The top also has its own damage modifier now.

C4 is always a critical hit and a mobility kill though, usually even when it isn't attached to the tank, so just nut up and start C4ing everything instead of using children's toys to lightly tickle tanks.

Gazaar posted:

It'll always be 2 in the beta because none of the tanks have access to reactive armor. Once reactive is equipped, it'll become 3. Reactive in the alpha was different from BF3 though in that it just applied a modifier to incoming damage and then disappeared after a certain amount was absorbed rather than totally absorbing a single hit and then disappearing. The upshot was still adding one more hit to kill from a given side, though.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 6, 2013

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

SaucyLoggins posted:

I'm retarded and for the life of me can't figure out how the key to toggle zoom settings. I don't see it in the key binds either.
It's shared with either deploy bipod or toggle weapon light. You can bind keys more than once as long as they don't directly conflict in function.

Stanley Pain posted:

You are not. It's early yet and weapon selection it minimal, but you know those nutty Swedes. The class layouts are definitely better, though.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 6, 2013

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm thinking the gun handling feeling more COD-like is perhaps because of the 1x zoom for RDS/Kobra, rather than the 1.5x in BF3. The perceived recoil is much less.

Cpl. Coldone
Apr 2, 2008
Turning the priority to low really helped me out with the stuttering. Those pylons that you can raise by the bridges are so much fun. I like raising them no matter who is coming. Hardly anyone knows what to do about em.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheRationalRedditor posted:

It's shared with either deploy bipod or toggle weapon light. You can bind keys more than once as long as they don't directly conflict in function.

Fun fact: if you look at the bottom-center of your screen, it has a little rose showing what keys do what. Sight switch is usually on T, zeroing/firemode switch is usually V, etc. But it's all there right on the bottom of the screen. Don't know if it changes with re-bound buttons, but then you should have checked what you're binding.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Downloaded and installed the beta today. I get this error when trying to launch:
code:
Origin is not installed and is required to play this game. Please reinstall Origin.
A quick google search has not found me a definite solution yet. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

My friend gets this when he tries to launch the beta, any ideas? He reinstalled windows literally less than a day ago, but he's sure he's got all the drivers for everything.

Tell him to try the NVIDIA Beta drivers. If that doesn't work, re-install Battlefield 4 and if that doesn't work, re-install Direct X .

• Locked thread