Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Jenner posted:

Blade Wolf's DLC really does seem semi-unfun. But, I can't wait to see Sam's DLC.

It was... serviceable. MGR's strengths lie in crazy badass fighting, not in stealth, and DEFINITELY not in platforming. That alone is one of the major reasons why Sam's DLC is better than Wolf's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yea, I've gotta say that I really don't get the people who want rewards for no alerts, or a more involved stealth system or any of that poo poo. This game really really does not need to be about stealth, it's about crazy badass fighting. I thought it was fine for them to include a couple optional stealth parts that you can just fight your way through instead if you want.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ChairMaster posted:

Yea, I've gotta say that I really don't get the people who want rewards for no alerts, or a more involved stealth system or any of that poo poo. This game really really does not need to be about stealth, it's about crazy badass fighting. I thought it was fine for them to include a couple optional stealth parts that you can just fight your way through instead if you want.

It is a little silly that there are all these bits where Raiden and his support crew hype up the stealth approach in areas where proceeding stealthily ruins your rank. Especially given that for certain "battles" you can overscore on time - why not do this for all stealthable areas?

Really, as I've said before, all the things that are wrong with Revengeance are the systems layered onto the actual game - the ranking system, the checkpoint system, the way the game clock continues in realtime when the game is in slowtime (see: how to lose a combo because you Zandatsu'd someone) and the loving VR missions and their ranking system. Actually playing the game is always fun and satisfying, which is why I never got really irrationally angry when trying to No Damage Monsoon, because as annoying as it was to periodically take a percent and a half damage from his loving smoke grenade (seriously why did they have to make that deal damage?), it always feels badass to parry his seven-hit sai combo.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Jenner posted:

Speaking of Peace Walker, Chip, your Peace Walker LP isn't in the archives. (though, videos are working fine on the site.)

Blade Wolf's DLC really does seem semi-unfun. But, I can't wait to see Sam's DLC.

The last four Chip LPs are not in the archives for some reason. No More Heroes 2, Peace Walker, Uncharted 2, and that hunting game are all missing.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Rirse posted:

The last four Chip LPs are not in the archives for some reason. No More Heroes 2, Peace Walker, Uncharted 2, and that hunting game are all missing.

Presumably the site's not going anywhere anytime soon and it archives all of Chip's LPs.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
https://chipandironicus.com
You could always go here if you're really jonesing for more..

Squallege fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 7, 2013

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The C&I website archives them all and Chip's Youtube itself has two copies of pretty much every video (for those with dual commentary). It is true that if you're just looking on LP Archive then you won't find them, but the previous LPs link to the Youtube too so it's kind of a moot point.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
The reason they're not in the LP Archive is because I'm lazy and always forget to archive them. I also really need to get around to uploading the rest of my source videos to Baldurk so he can get them up on archive.org. That way people can actually download later LPs again.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
And let's not forget the bonus content. I remember one guy did a bunch of really neat write-ups on the statues in Uncharted 2, but when I went looking for them in the archives they weren't there, and Chip's site only has the videos.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

paragon1 posted:

They self destruct if the torso is destroyed to prevent capture. She's dead.

Well Monsoon at least was exempt from that, his head is still intact and never exploded.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 7, 2013

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I tried cutting Mistral and ended up leaving nearly everything else intact but her face and gekko arms. You can definitely cut her head apart and I don't know where the idea that you can't came from.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've never been able to cut her head apart in the surely close to 40 times I've killed her. Same goes for Sundowner too and I'd be inclined to think that anytime that you have done it is a glitch.

My favourite thing is to have the scissors equipped and hold triangle after you've cut Sundowner. During the codec Raiden will still be charging them and if you let go of Triangle and blow all his parts off the building. I'm not sure if you can do it in later patches or if Chip mentioned it, but it's fun.

QuetzaDrake
Sep 11, 2011

So lonely.

Chip Cheezum posted:

The reason they're not in the LP Archive is because I'm lazy and always forget to archive them. I also really need to get around to uploading the rest of my source videos to Baldurk so he can get them up on archive.org. That way people can actually download later LPs again.

Well one way people can do that before you do that (and how I've been doing it) is just using Firefox (because Chrome outright refuses you the ability to download from Youtube at all) and one of the myriad of Youtube downloader add-ons.

But Baldurk would be way more convenient and also bonus content would be nice, yeah.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

QuetzaDrake posted:

(because Chrome outright refuses you the ability to download from Youtube at all)

This is because Chrome is made by YouTube's owner, Google. They're not gonna endorse downloading videos because that'd open them up to all sorts of legal bullshit.

Downloading videos from YouTube is less than optimal, anyways. You can't download the original and will always get a re-encode. Getting the source videos from archive.org would allow for the highest quality. And would also allow the dual commentary videos to go back to being one video with two audio tracks instead of two separate videos.

thelordkanchi
Sep 14, 2012

QuetzaDrake posted:

Well one way people can do that before you do that (and how I've been doing it) is just using Firefox (because Chrome outright refuses you the ability to download from Youtube at all) and one of the myriad of Youtube downloader add-ons.

If you get Youtube Options by Spoi you can download videos from youtube. Just make sure you get it from Spoi's website and not from the Chrome Store. The Chrome Store Version does not support downloads.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Yeah, the main reason I want to eventually get source videos up is because they are a lot higher quality than Youtube's encodes. The difference is especially noticeable in a really fast moving game like this.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I dunno anything about capture cards or your encoding process (whichever matters here) but are the Rising source vids in 60fps? Just wondering

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

I dunno anything about capture cards or your encoding process (whichever matters here) but are the Rising source vids in 60fps? Just wondering

I doubt rising is in 60fps so does it matter?

E: oh apparently it does.

Eulisker fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 7, 2013

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Eulisker posted:

I doubt rising is in 60fps so does it matter?

You would be wrong here. Metal Gear Rising runs at 60fps the vast majority of the time. If you cut up the environment enough you can tank the framerate, though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

There are about a million Chrome addons that allow Youtube downloading but as Chip said, Youtube packs the videos up even at 1080p so there's quite a loss of quality.

If the source videos are running at 60fps, does that throw the commentary out of sync? Or was it recorded for the 60fps videos then 30fps-ized by Youtube?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Youtube's encoding usually fixes all that. If your source video is upwards of 30, uploading it to Youtube will condense the audio and video both down to an even 30 so there's no desync.

Sometimes it fucks up though and there DOES end up being desync which is kind of annoying because then you have to just try uploading it again. You could alternatively just render the video at 30 fps but again that would lower the quality and smoothness a bit.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rising can run up to 60 fps, but very rarely maintains it for an extended period of time.
Even when it's in the mid 40 to mid 50's, it still looks great so that upcoming PC port giving you a locked 60 will be gorgeous. I can't wait.

QuetzaDrake
Sep 11, 2011

So lonely.

Geemer posted:

This is because Chrome is made by YouTube's owner, Google. They're not gonna endorse downloading videos because that'd open them up to all sorts of legal bullshit.

Downloading videos from YouTube is less than optimal, anyways. You can't download the original and will always get a re-encode. Getting the source videos from archive.org would allow for the highest quality. And would also allow the dual commentary videos to go back to being one video with two audio tracks instead of two separate videos.

Yeah I know, I just neglected to mention that was the reason because I didn't think it was important. Also I actually prefer the Uncut versions far more than when it was two audio tracks, as playing those types of videos in a playlist required one to have to switch the audio track with each new video, so I would hope ideally there'd still be Uncut-only videos in that case.

thelordkanchi
Sep 14, 2012

QuetzaDrake posted:

Yeah I know, I just neglected to mention that was the reason because I didn't think it was important. Also I actually prefer the Uncut versions far more than when it was two audio tracks, as playing those types of videos in a playlist required one to have to switch the audio track with each new video, so I would hope ideally there'd still be Uncut-only videos in that case.

With VLC you can set default audio tracks so you don't have to worry about switching audio tracks after every video.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I'm having trouble finding a specific episode (and time I guess), where either Chip or Ironicus says "and now you've cured my autism" or something of that effect, anyone have any pointers?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It's during MGS4 when Naomi and Sunny are interacting with each other. I forget which briefing that is.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Probably the one before chapter 3. That's when they make eggs.
Probably episode 12-1, around the start.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Oh drat and I thought it was in this LP and tried checking the Sunny episodes to no avail. Yeah, that was probably it, thanks!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Hey Euro Goons!

Have Playstaion Plus but not played Rising? Come October 23rd Metal Gear Rising will be free to download for European PS+ subcribers!

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/10/11/playstation-plus-in-november-metal-gear-rising-remember-me-more/

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Veotax posted:

Hey Euro Goons!

Have Playstaion Plus but not played Rising? Come October 23rd Metal Gear Rising will be free to download for European PS+ subcribers!

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/10/11/playstation-plus-in-november-metal-gear-rising-remember-me-more/

Now I feel bad for paying money for it.

...Wait. No I don't. Well, a little. But not very much. God PS+ is great though.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

Veotax posted:

Hey Euro Goons!

Oh poo poo yes. I was gonna buy it tonight!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I liked the look at what a stealth guy's game would look like in the MGR engine, and I like the devs being willing to stretch the game with DLC.

I wouldn't like to play an entire game where stealth was super-vital, but Blade Wolf looks pretty fun to control even in combat.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sam's DLC is noticeably harder than the rest of the game, but I finally got everything recorded. Expect that to be up maybe sometime around next weekend.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Veotax posted:

Hey Euro Goons!

Holy poo poo this is awesome :woop: I can't fail but to be amazed by the value of PS+.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Chip Cheezum posted:

Sam's DLC is noticeably harder than the rest of the game, but I finally got everything recorded. Expect that to be up maybe sometime around next weekend.

I think with Sam, you have to time out your attacks or you're otherwise getting tagged by whoever you're trying to kill.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Just like in the main game, there are certain tricks against each enemy that shut them down. For example, you can stun a Hammerbro with a single attack if you make use of Sam's special ability. Sam's launcher is also an unblockable, which is awesome.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Hook posted:

I'm hoping Wolf will get a little love in a sequel because doing stealthy reconnaissance between Raiden's slicing and dicing strikes me as a good idea

This post was a while back, but Shadow of Rome did the "stealth character juxtaposed with a combat character" idea, and people really hated it, so I'm not sure if it would be well received in Rising 2. It might have just been people not thinking much of the execution, but the idea was being directly criticized in a lot of reviews.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Taciturn Tactician posted:

This post was a while back, but Shadow of Rome did the "stealth character juxtaposed with a combat character" idea, and people really hated it, so I'm not sure if it would be well received in Rising 2. It might have just been people not thinking much of the execution, but the idea was being directly criticized in a lot of reviews.

That was more because the stealth character wasn't entirely fun to play as, rather than people not liking the "combat character, stealth character" thing.

The stealth itself was fine, it was just really boring. I enjoyed it though, because said stealth character was also loving Augustus Caesar, which to me was awesome.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Lots of games mix stealth and not-stealth, but they're only good when they don't ever force you into either style. Flip-flopping between missions sounds heinous. If they don't want to go for Dishonored/Splinter Cell Blacklist levels of flexibility on the whole game for Rising 2, they should just leave the stealth gameplay to Solid* and focus on the action.

(*MGS6 starring Blade Wolf, let's do this)

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

If you're going to do stealth in an action-heavy cyborg game the only real way to do it is the way that they originally tried for MGR, which was the "predator" kind of stealth that Arkham Asylum/City did. I would play the gently caress out of a game that alternated between Platinum-style combat with deep systems, and predator sections that encourage stealth as a means to wipe out enemies. Bonus points if I can still scare the crap out of the last guy left :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread