Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Arsenal_12 posted:

This is actually what I was wondering. I know that Takara does miracles with enginnering on the MPs, but how are they going to take a VW and make a Bumblebee that's the correct scale with the rest of the MPs? Wouldn't he have to be shorter than Sideswipe?

Just to clarify, I wasn't just referring to height (though that's definitely an issue). A G1 Bumblebee that transforms into an actual VW Beetle would look horrendous in robot mode. Art Feather transforms into an accurate (from what I can tell, but I'm no expert) VW Beetle, but they had to cut the car in half and stick the rear section on his back. That's hardly G1 accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

That's also essentially a retool of CHUG Bumblebee. A Masterpiece would likely be much more... foldy? It would be more intricate, at least. Actually, CHUG Bumblebee's body doesn't look that close to G1's. I mean, it looks good, don't get me wrong, but it's definitely a modern re-imagining of it, as opposed to a modern tooling of it.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Because I don't talk about Bumblebee enough, I picked up Generations Bee tonight. I think he's actually pretty good, and his vehicle mode goes together solid. The plastic is cheap looking and the yellow paint doesn't match, but otherwise I'm glad I got him, unlike...

...Generations Megatron, who sucks balls. I seriously though I was missing a piece of his fusion canon when I took it out of the package, but nope, his weapon is just two pieces of kibble slapped together. I don't have Thundercracker but I think it's safe to say Megs is the worst in the line.

Kurui Reiten posted:

That's also essentially a retool of CHUG Bumblebee. A Masterpiece would likely be much more... foldy? It would be more intricate, at least. Actually, CHUG Bumblebee's body doesn't look that close to G1's. I mean, it looks good, don't get me wrong, but it's definitely a modern re-imagining of it, as opposed to a modern tooling of it.

I hear what you're saying but I don't know that even an MP will be able to be that foldy.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Did you extend the fusion cannon? Actually I rather like Generations Megatron, although -it doesn't even need to be said- it really should have been a voyager.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
I extended it, it's just a bad weapon. I'm not against a voyager version, though, as it has potential and could have been cool. He's like the CHUG Galvatron of this wave.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
That cannon isn't the fault of the toy, that's just how that gun looks. The toy is pretty much spot on for the design which is from back in 2010 and wasn't done with a toy in mind.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Blackheart posted:

Did you extend the fusion cannon? Actually I rather like Generations Megatron, although -it doesn't even need to be said- it really should have been a voyager.

This is the second Megatron figure that way, remember how Universe 2.0 Galvatron was intended to be voyager sized?

However the second Voyager Megatron is just going to be a Grimlock retool and the previous one was a Bludgeon retool.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I wouldn't mind a voyager version of bomber Megs, but I really enjoy the deluxe, gun and all.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It's possible that they did him as a deluxe because that body's already been and gone in the comics. If it had stuck around, maybe he'd have got a voyager..

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Some of you may remember how I always bitch about partsforming, so I did a thing to Trailbreaker.

No more camper shell/sheild to have to take off during transformation. I wish I would have been able to cut a narrower gap between the sides, but otherwise I'm really pleased by the way it came out. The only downside is it does kind of limit knee articulation because of those silver spike things, I probably could have cut them down closer. This is as far as he can bend his knee now, unless you fake it and untransform his leg a bit to bend it to the side.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So today I was looking through a Collections Etc catalog and in the children's gift section I found two interesting non-Transformers transforming robot toys, so my fellow goons let me introduce you to; Twist N Change Robot & Lighted Hummer Transformer

Twist N Change Robot

Lighted Hummer Transformer

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

drrockso20 posted:

So today I was looking through a Collections Etc catalog and in the children's gift section I found two interesting non-Transformers transforming robot toys, so my fellow goons let me introduce you to; Twist N Change Robot & Lighted Hummer Transformer

Twist N Change Robot

Lighted Hummer Transformer

The first is a Brave knockoff, I think, and the second is a RoadBot (a competitor to and contemporary of Alternators, though vastly inferior.)

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Vastly. Like we're talking Fast and the Furious vs. Wacky Races here.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Rei_ posted:

Vastly. Like we're talking Fast and the Furious vs. Wacky Races here.

In which wacky races is the vastly superior one? :v:

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Cobalt60 posted:

gently caress me, right? -- I can't figure out how to get the Canadian TRU to ship to US.

Is there any Canadian goodhearted goon that could get one and ship it to me? if so, drop me a note at

Sorry to harp, but if anyone in Canada will accept my pre-payment via PayPal, I'd love your help getting a MP Soundwave mailed to my US (Oregon) address.

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index...ductId=20083786

My email is:
cobalt60 (at) me.com

Thanks

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Cobalt60 posted:

Sorry to harp, but if anyone in Canada will accept my pre-payment via PayPal, I'd love your help getting a MP Soundwave mailed to my US (Oregon) address.

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index...ductId=20083786

My email is:
cobalt60 (at) me.com

Thanks

Shipping on a box of that size from Canada is gonna suck. You could always buy the Takara release or the BBTS mark up for the US one. Might be cheaper than trying to get a Canadian release.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK11718&mode=retail

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS23132&mode=retail

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 7, 2013

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
Also eBay prices have settled down to fairly sane levels.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
A new Optimus Prime triple changer was announced that turns into a bot, a train, and a dragon.

SpikeMcclane posted:

That cannon isn't the fault of the toy, that's just how that gun looks. The toy is pretty much spot on for the design which is from back in 2010 and wasn't done with a toy in mind.

The figure as a whole has actually grown on me, and I'm not really sure why I disliked it so much at first. I still don't like the cannon, and if you lose either of its parts you've ruined the alt mode, but I guess they're hands were tied in that regard since it matches the comic.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

catch22 posted:

A new Optimus Prime triple changer was announced that turns into a bot, a train, and a dragon.

Yeah but it apparently follows the design guidelines of the GO combiners, which aren't very good toys. He also combines with both teams, but I guess it'll be as a giant backpack or something like that.

Still, it's a pretty interesting idea at least.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
How to Train/Prime/Dragon
It sounds loving hilarious and I eagerly await pictures to see just how crappy it ends up.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Wow this custom Kup (using the Orion Pax mold) is perfect:
http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/kup-wreckers-reformatted-t96881.php#p1521530

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

catch22 posted:

Blackheart posted:

Yeah but it apparently follows the design guidelines of the GO combiners

How to go from 'Excited' to 'Disappointed' in two easy steps!

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
The GO combiners are really sad. They're just so ugly and poorly proportioned in most every mode. The only combined mode I like for the first set is binning the Blue Generic Anime toy Police car and sticking Yellow terrible looking Jet on top of Red whatever kind of truck it's supposed to be. Still doesn't look very good but it actually comes close to having decent looking proportions combined like that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was going to ask in the recommendations thread but I figure this thread might be more appropriate; what's a good place to start with Transformers comics (especially in terms of collections one should try to track down)? I'm not really familiar with the franchise beyond the cartoons but I'm interested in the comics.

Many thanks.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

I was going to ask in the recommendations thread but I figure this thread might be more appropriate; what's a good place to start with Transformers comics (especially in terms of collections one should try to track down)? I'm not really familiar with the franchise beyond the cartoons but I'm interested in the comics.

Many thanks.

Last Stand of the Wreckers, then grab the trades of MTMTE and RID

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
That. To give a little more detail: last stand is pretty much standalone and explains almost anything you need to know. It sets up a lot of world building that's referenced quite a bit since then.

The Drift trade isn't a bad choice for standalone world building and backstory either.

As for the series, MTMTE vol. 1 includes
"The Death of Optimus Prime," which starts off both series and MTMTE #1 comes before RID #1. After that, it's a while before they cross again.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

SpikeMcclane posted:

That. To give a little more detail: last stand is pretty much standalone and explains almost anything you need to know. It sets up a lot of world building that's referenced quite a bit since then.

The Drift trade isn't a bad choice for standalone world building and backstory either.

As for the series, MTMTE vol. 1 includes
"The Death of Optimus Prime," which starts off both series and MTMTE #1 comes before RID #1. After that, it's a while before they cross again.

I did this a bit out of order but reading all of MTMTE first doesn't diminish the awesome that is last stand. Just ordered all of RID now too, plus monstrosity and all the dark cybertrons and tie ins.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah it's not like MTMTE can spoil the ending or something. You kinda miss out on some of the nuances of the Overlord mini-arc, but then those are easily the worst issues in MTMTE's run so far so anyway.

That being said IDW Transformers is probably the best canon running right now for picking up and seeding threads throughout it's history. Dark Cybertron is knee deep in Furman ideas for one.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How about the stories from the 1980s, before Dreamwave and IDW or whoever had the licence? Have those comics been collected extensively? I've heard that they were also good.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Metal Loaf posted:

How about the stories from the 1980s, before Dreamwave and IDW or whoever had the licence? Have those comics been collected extensively? I've heard that they were also good.

The Marvel series from the '80s is in the process of being collected by IDW as Transformers Classics, but they're a little tough to get into if you don't have some nostalgia going for them already. The issues after Furman takes over are pretty good still.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 9, 2013

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Keldroc posted:

The Marvel series from the '80s is in the process of being collected by IDW as Transformers Classics, but they're a little tough to get into if you don't have some nostalgia going for them already. The issues after Furman takes over are pretty good still.

Is that the Marvel US series, the Marvel UK series, or both?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah it's not like MTMTE can spoil the ending or something. You kinda miss out on some of the nuances of the Overlord mini-arc, but then those are easily the worst issues in MTMTE's run so far so anyway.

That being said IDW Transformers is probably the best canon running right now for picking up and seeding threads throughout it's history. Dark Cybertron is knee deep in Furman ideas for one.

Whaaat, the Overlord stuff is the best (except Remain in Light).

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Metal Loaf posted:

Is that the Marvel US series, the Marvel UK series, or both?

They have Classic collections of both, but they're separately numbered.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
RID #21 is out today, and I'm not getting much more out of it than an intro to the new storyline. Soundwave's relationship with Shockwave is fleshed out a bit, BBDreadwing's explicitly a remold, and there's no callback to Tyrest's fuckery with the CC sparks so I'm not sure when this happens. It might be before that, because Ravage is fine and dandy.

I do like how it portrays Soundwave as phenomenally empathic, to the point where the emotionless Shockwave appears like a substanceless ghost to him. I didn't read hardly any of the IDW stuff before Wreckers, so I don't know if that's how he's always been here or if this is a new thing, but it's a neat way to fold in his "mindreading" abilities.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
This ugly-rear end thing is apparently a leader class Optimus from the new movie

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-toys-products-30/nycc-2013-age-of-extinction-optimus-prime-toy-178570/

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

At first I was like, "eh, you know, he doesn't look so ba- oh." And then I saw him from the side and the back.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Woohoo, Prowl has arrived and there weren't even any customs charges! Hurrah!

He looks gorgeous in both modes, is pretty straightforward compared to past MPs and is just plain drat delightful. I thorougly recommend him.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Kibbleliciousness for only 50 bux!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

That's the least bad-looking movie Optimus Prime yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
He's an OK looking truck. And he looks OK from the front dead-on. Yeah, he looks horrible from every other angle but hey that's somethin' man!