Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I'm not so much of a fan. If it goes off, then on average you win when your opponent loses half their deck, which puts it about on par with two Sabotages. (Or one Sabotage and a good enough board presence to knock off 10 life.) But it's far swingier, you don't get the possible dead draws of Sabotage, and to make it go off you have to actually avoid troop removal and then connect with your opponent. Ruby has worse general mill support than sapphire too. The PVE equipment is amazing, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

pumpinglemma posted:

I'm not so much of a fan. If it goes off, then on average you win when your opponent loses half their deck, which puts it about on par with two Sabotages. (Or one Sabotage and a good enough board presence to knock off 10 life.) But it's far swingier, you don't get the possible dead draws of Sabotage, and to make it go off you have to actually avoid troop removal and then connect with your opponent. Ruby has worse general mill support than sapphire too. The PVE equipment is amazing, though.

Hex: Shards of Fate - The PvE Equipment is always AMAAAAZIING!

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

pumpinglemma posted:

The draw three cards aspect makes it a 6-10% instant win plus a huge card advantage if you use him in a discard deck, so there's that.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
Uniques seem to be cards that you build decks around, and this one isn't any different. People are already looking forward to running mill decks. That card just makes the win come sooner, and cuts off the opponent's access to approximately half their deck.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I'm not surprised that lots of people are psyched for a viable mill deck, with cards that are actually interesting. I know I am.

It's one of those strategies that Magic could never quite make work, except as an instant win combo. It's great that it's getting some love here.

I feel like there's a lot of deck removal cards, though. Your Omen of Oblivions, Persecutes and such. I wonder if there is going to be a way to retrieve voided cards still unrevealed, or to come in Set 2.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Go RV! posted:

I feel like there's a lot of deck removal cards, though. Your Omen of Oblivions, Persecutes and such. I wonder if there is going to be a way to retrieve voided cards still unrevealed, or to come in Set 2.

There probably won't be and those sorts of cards will board in to deal with this guy and a bunch of other cards that gently caress with the opponent's deck.

That's fine! He's a card that demands an answer or else he wins the game, and if they have an answer he's still a 3/3 for 3 which is a totally fine card.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
I wonder if you get multiple into the opponent's deck, if he's immune to his own equipment ability. It'd suck to have him as their next draw only to have one on the bottom of the deck destroy him.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Just to be clear, Hex won't send you anything until next week if you bought slacker backer right? I ordered it this morning and only got the paypal billing confirmation email.

[e] the princess cory promo card look like it can really wreck some poo poo if you set it up right.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 4, 2013

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Neraren posted:

I wonder if you get multiple into the opponent's deck, if he's immune to his own equipment ability. It'd suck to have him as their next draw only to have one on the bottom of the deck destroy him.

Destruction sends him to the grave, right? Wouldn't that would actually speed up his effect? :getin:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DrManiac posted:

Just to be clear, Hex won't send you anything until next week if you bought slacker backer right? I ordered it this morning and only got the paypal billing confirmation email.

[e] the princess cory promo card look like it can really wreck some poo poo if you set it up right.

I didn't get slacker backer myself, but I remember someone else asking the same question on the official forums and the answer was that there's no confirmation beyond the Paypal email. So you should be fine.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Today's update is up

Notable stuff:

-Alpha subforum on the Hex forums will be up on Monday, they'll use that to let us know alpha invite information, server status, patch notes, etc.
-Set 1 Spoiler and Rules document almost ready, will be up on the website when it's done
-Twitch stream on Oct 8th at Noon PDT

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Do we have a confirmed yea/nay on Mac support for alpha?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

aunt jemima posted:

Confirmed nay, at least when it initially launches.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Zonekeeper posted:

Destruction sends him to the grave, right? Wouldn't that would actually speed up his effect? :getin:

This may actually apply to the mill strategy as well, but if this was a Magic card, he would go to YOUR graveyard, and then destroy you. It's impossible to say how this kind of card will interact with graveyards at this point.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

DrManiac posted:

depends on the server stability and engineers, but probably not next week.

aunt jemima posted:

Nay right now, but in plainspeak we feel real bad about it and we know that Mac users can't be treated like second class citizens.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Sacrificial Toast posted:

This may actually apply to the mill strategy as well, but if this was a Magic card, he would go to YOUR graveyard, and then destroy you. It's impossible to say how this kind of card will interact with graveyards at this point.

The main reason cards go to their owner's graveyards in Magic is to prevent them from being shuffled into another person's deck or returned to their hand. That isn't an issue in Hex, so it will probably work. The linked article where he was spoiled seems to think so too.

If it is the case, you want as many copies of that thing in your opponent's deck as possible.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Are keep names and usernames going to persist through and after Alpha?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

nyxnyxnyx posted:

Are keep names and usernames going to persist through and after Alpha?

The only thing I understood to persist was guild names. :confused:

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Has Cryptozoic made any mention of if/when they're taking down the Slacker Backer option?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Spincut posted:

Has Cryptozoic made any mention of if/when they're taking down the Slacker Backer option?

Latest update said it will stay in for alpha and be gone sometime around beta I think, they said theyll give some warning before they do so you can have your last chance

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Stormgale posted:

Latest update said it will stay in for alpha and be gone sometime around beta I think, they said theyll give some warning before they do so you can have your last chance

Awesome, thanks!

guppiehaus
Sep 13, 2010
I know no one probably knows the answer to this and I read that they will be releasing Alpha access in waves in order from most significant backers to least, but there isn't by any chance some list or schedule of when Slacker Backers will get Alpha access? I really like the look of this game and have been on a CCG binge (MTG 2014, SF). I'm probably going to back this game anyway, but would just like any info on when I can expect to get my hands on it.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Nope - they're basically letting as many people in at a time as the servers can handle, and they won't have a good feel for how many that is until after the first wave on Tuesday. (I think they're hoping to have everyone in before the weekend, though.)

guppiehaus
Sep 13, 2010

pumpinglemma posted:

Nope - they're basically letting as many people in at a time as the servers can handle, and they won't have a good feel for how many that is until after the first wave on Tuesday. (I think they're hoping to have everyone in before the weekend, though.)

Oh wow, I was under the assumption that even if I backed I wouldn't realistically get to play until the end of the month or something. Thanks for the good news!

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
First wave is $500+ We don't know beyond that. I am playing my rear end off on Tuesday sine I don't teach then.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I won't have internet until Wednesday... :suicide:

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Blinkman987 posted:

Nay right now, but in plainspeak we feel real bad about it and we know that Mac users can't be treated like second class citizens.

:woz:

Alright. Well, I'm just glad it will be on Mac eventually. Thanks for the info.

guppiehaus
Sep 13, 2010
Just sent in my Slacker Backer donation to Cryptozoic :) I don't know what's gotten into me. I haven't played TCGs since I was obsessed with Pokemon and 8 years old, but that single Magic 2014 impulse buy a couple weeks ago got me hooked. Anyway, I've been reading the Hex website to get a little more familiar with the game. What are everyone's choices? I really like playing White/Green in Magic and Alloyin/Uterra in SolForge so I'll probably go Coyotle Hunter or Human Mage.

I'm really interested to see how PVP will work. Competitive play is the main draw for me so it'll be interesting to see how champions factor into PVP if at all. I know items and levels won't matter if I remember correctly.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

For PVP, everyone gets the same set of champions to pull from. Over the life of the game, new ones will become available and old ones will be rotated out. The set 1 champions have actually been spoiled already - see here for a convenient list - and there's a really nice pool to draw from. (I particularly like the Sapphire champions...)

For PVE, when the game's released, my first champion is going to be a Shin'hare called Fibunnacci. And no-one can stop me. :colbert:

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

pumpinglemma posted:

For PVP, everyone gets the same set of champions to pull from. Over the life of the game, new ones will become available and old ones will be rotated out. The set 1 champions have actually been spoiled already - see here for a convenient list - and there's a really nice pool to draw from. (I particularly like the Sapphire champions...)

Is it official that these are all the champions we're getting for Set 1? It was in my mind that this was just a few, but I haven't heard any official word.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Go RV! posted:

Is it official that these are all the champions we're getting for Set 1? It was in my mind that this was just a few, but I haven't heard any official word.

Going back to the Kickstarter updates:

quote:

In today's update, we're giving you all of the Underworld PVP Champions. Yes, all of them!

quote:

Just like we showed the 10 Underworld PVP Champions last week, you can see the 10 Ardent Champions on HEXTCG.com this week.

So yes, all 20 set 1 champions have been revealed.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Bun'jitsu offers some interesting potential if there are really high p/t creatures at low cost with drawbacks, since he blanks their abilities.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Karnegal posted:

Bun'jitsu offers some interesting potential if there are really high p/t creatures at low cost with drawbacks, since he blanks their abilities.

That's a cool deck idea, actually. The only real candidate I'm seeing is Claw of the Mountain God. Definitely something to keep an eye out for when spoiler goes live.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

He's also useful for turning your Wild Growths and such into permanent stat boosts.

guppiehaus
Sep 13, 2010

pumpinglemma posted:

For PVE, when the game's released, my first champion is going to be a Shin'hare called Fibunnacci. And no-one can stop me. :colbert:

Thanks for this. That's a really cool scheme of running PVP. I'm digging the Coyotle Mage and Human Warrior champs a lot.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Man, we are so close to Alpha. My day one goal is going to be breaking Eye of Creation.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Karnegal posted:

Man, we are so close to Alpha. My day one goal is going to be breaking Eye of Creation.

I'm right there with you buddy! Perhaps I should make a guild for us high-rollers, the 500+ Club. :chord:

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
We should find whatever deck will cause opponents to scoop as soon as they see it.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Do we know if this Alpha is going to have a wipe at some point, or will it be like SolForge's ongoing Beta where you get your Kickstarter benefits and can buy more packs etc etc etc and you keep them?

I ask because I want to start farming Lotuses right away, every day, nonstop, forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Alpha is definitely having a wipe, everyone is just getting a full 4x play set from what I understand. There's no purchasing or KS rewards granted, so it shouldn't be a problem.

E: update 47 has the details. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/605035

Spectral Werewolf fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 7, 2013

• Locked thread