Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah, what's the trick to the XM25? It never seems to go where it's supposed to or do any damage...

Aim a tick or two above when you want to hit unless you're really close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Huh, I went back to beta Nvidia drivers, still getting CPU spikes. Rebooted and switched hyperthreading off, as that had been an issue in BF3 at some point. Tried to join a server and got the new patch. All settings and keybinds reset to defaults, so bit hard to gauge if it made a difference. Except performance went back to crappy and lag spiking more often. Have to try a reboot again.

I'm on Nvidia beta drivers with a 3570k @ 4.3GHz, 8 GB ram and a 660ti.

Fix for me was to open console in game. Type in "GameTime.MaxVariableFps 45" without the quotations. Try out numbers between 40-50 for best performance. I went from ~100% CPU usage to about 65%. Running 60 fps average at 1080p with mostly high and a couple ultra settings.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah, what's the trick to the XM25? It never seems to go where it's supposed to or do any damage...

You need to get the range set first, so there will be a little "LOCK" text box at the bottom of the screen when you are set. Fire just above the target (at a great distance we're talking on screen centimeter or so because...) when you pull the trigger the grenade will travel a few feet beyond the distance set and explode. If you are aiming up at a building you want to aim pretty close to the edge so it doesn't go too high to do damage.

I've noticed a lot of snipers, when they see the XM come out, will retreat from the edge for a few moments to avoid the launcher. That would explain the lack of hits.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Great. Boats have their own unbindable keybinds instead of being tied to vehicles.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So getting the XM25 lock just requires you to ADS? So you look at the cover, zoom, kick the crosshair up a bit and fire?

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

AlternateAccount posted:

-Aim down the sight at something which is slightly closer than where you want the airburst.
-Aim the sight at where you want to shoot.

If somebody's hiding behind cover, aim at the cover, right click to ADS, move your mouse up over the cover (or to the side) and shoot.

Alternately, hipfire it at helos.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

So getting the XM25 lock just requires you to ADS? So you look at the cover, zoom, kick the crosshair up a bit and fire?

Aim at the cover to lock on, then aim past it. It'll explode in mid air as it flies past the cover. Also works for nailing people around corners.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Has anyone unlocked Slugs for the 870 yet? the one hit kill range seems like it's smaller than using buckshot, it's all over the place if you try and strafe while firing but when you ADS it has basically zero drop and travels pretty quickly. it's the most bizarre poo poo

also: game just patched and every single one of my settings have been reset :negative:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 7, 2013

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The battlepack thing is going to cause so many tears when weapons get rebalanced.
:qq::"I just spent $30 on Gold Battlepacks and ate 4 cases of Slim Jims to get all the accessories for my favorite gun, and now the damage has been nerfed by 5% and the spread increased by 10% and my life is over"

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

canyoneer posted:

The battlepack thing is going to cause so many tears when weapons get rebalanced.
:qq::"I just spent $30 on Gold Battlepacks and ate 4 cases of Slim Jims to get all the accessories for my favorite gun, and now the damage has been nerfed by 5% and the spread increased by 10% and my life is over"

That makes no sense whatsoever since the battlepack unlocks are random and eventually as you level up you will have everything unlocked anyway. It is not like planetside where you spend $7 to buy a gun and two weeks later sony nerfs it to the ground.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Keep getting kicked to 'PnkBstrB.exe initialization failed', loving hell.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

canyoneer posted:

Of course its over, the guy ate 4 cases of slim jims. In all seriousness though, I now get to combine my grocery budget and my gaming budget for as long as the slim jim promotion goes on. :getin:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Has anyone unlocked Slugs for the 870 yet? the one hit kill range seems like it's smaller than using buckshot, it's all over the place if you try and strafe while firing but when you ADS it has basically zero drop and travels pretty quickly. it's the most bizarre poo poo

also: game just patched and every single one of my settings have been reset :negative:

I got the slugs and I was very underwhelmed. They don't seem to hit anything both at close and long range. Whatsmore the buckshot seems to actually be good enough at mid range that I'm just not seeing the reason to use slug.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I want flechette rounds + duck bill. Going to shred sooooo many people with that.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Duck bill is so good when you come across a bunch of enemies all close to each other. :getin:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

AlternateAccount posted:

That's pretty much it, but make sure you get the lock message. Some areas, like C after the 9/11 moment, have some strange geometry and invisible obstacles that make the thing go nuts, so you'll aim from there to a roof and it may or may not accept the fact you are aiming there. I've had it happen a couple times now, super annoying.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

For those of you having truly inexplicable performance issues, don't forget to make a system malware scan part of your troubleshooting process. I'm pretty anal about that stuff but apparently my drunk rear end clicked something I shouldn't have in the past 48 hours. Rectifying that has solved all my problems connecting and maintaining said connection.

Downtime at least allowed me to perfect ottersquad.

Wow, really nice work on that one! I made a cockatiel:

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I'm pretty sure the body armor from the defensive perk set is causing the lack of 1-shot kills. It probably won't be as much of a problem when the full game is released and people use other perk sets. Same thing will benefit the XM25 when most snipers aren't going to have flak armor.

In the meantime aim for the groin.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
The map is definitely a lot more fun with C intact. I think its the increased amount of vertical activity and that it's rather central. With C demolished, idiot snipers just line up on the other roofs trying to keep people from approaching C.

xorex
Jul 23, 2002
whatever

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I tried them for a while and wasn't too happy. I'd miss pretty frequently up close, and at a distance a headshot is a necessity which is difficult to pull off with just the RDS. I did get killed a few times by some guy using slugs and the duck bill so I might give that a try.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

xorex posted:

some guy using slugs and the duck bill

wtf are the physics on this? wouldn't a duckbill only work with scattershot?

rocode
Oct 28, 2011

Meddle not with Mother Nature, lest you face her wrath.

This is pretty much what Battlefield 4 has turned into for me:

:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOAmRxvPXLE:nws:

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

CMvan46 posted:

Fix for me was to open console in game. Type in "GameTime.MaxVariableFps 45" without the quotations.

Thanks! This didn't solve my problems completely, but it does feel a bit tighter and smoother now.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

After patch

Pro: Game feels smoother, but that may be wishful thinking

Con: Windows, Borderless, Fullscreen, no matter what, when I alt-tab, the BF4 window stays on top permanently. :golfclap:

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

mcbexx posted:

After patch

Pro: Game feels smoother, but that may be wishful thinking

Con: Windows, Borderless, Fullscreen, no matter what, when I alt-tab, the BF4 window stays on top permanently. :golfclap:

BF3 did the same for me, but if I restore then maximize Firefox, Battlefield stays in the background.

I've been enjoying the beta so far, but I had mostly been playing with clueless squads.
Just played a round with some eurogoons, game was so much more enjoyable.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

The map is definitely a lot more fun with C intact. I think its the increased amount of vertical activity and that it's rather central. With C demolished, idiot snipers just line up on the other roofs trying to keep people from approaching C.

As someone who enjoys defending C, I actually have a lot more fun weaving around the concrete jungle and knifing people than I do when it's intact. Most pub snipers can't hit moving targets for poo poo anyway.

There's something very reminiscent of the Crown from PS2 in the way people just loooove to hold it at the expense of all other points.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The Crooked Warden posted:

As someone who enjoys defending C, I actually have a lot more fun weaving around the concrete jungle and knifing people than I do when it's intact. Most pub snipers can't hit moving targets for poo poo anyway.

There's something very reminiscent of the Crown from PS2 in the way people just loooove to hold it at the expense of all other points.

In the Mumble the other day someone made the suggestion that pubbies are like cats and will look for the highest vantage point possible whenever they go into a room or place.

I can't really disagree with that.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
The attack boat spawned in the middle of the rubble at C and I spent 15 minutes sitting in it destroying helicopters and anyone else unlucky enough to get in my sights. No one loving expects a boat fortress there.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Well, after the patch, my framerate took a poo poo and about half the time when I spawn, I just slowly walk forward for several seconds until I get control back, like I'd somehow gotten disconnected somehow. I might have to see if switching to borderless windowed gets me magic FPS or something.

SAMARIX
Jul 8, 2013
It seems the patch made my game more stable. I can actually alt out now without crashing and it just seems smoother in general.

The server I was just playing on started to lag out and everyone started floating around in the sky, it was weird.

SAMARIX fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 7, 2013

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

So any patch notes anywhere?!

xorex
Jul 23, 2002
whatever

The Mantis posted:

wtf are the physics on this? wouldn't a duckbill only work with scattershot?

I dunno if it has any effect, but that's what he was doing. He might have just been having a lucky round. Success with slugs can be pretty random when hipfiring. I felt like I was firing actual slugs (the shell-less molusc) rather than lethal chunks of metal.

kiresays
Aug 14, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Great. Boats have their own unbindable keybinds instead of being tied to vehicles.

They're also loving indestructible holy poo poo. Things take like 5 tank rounds to blow up.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
slugs and duckbill don't do anything. it just gives you a lovely crosshair and you can't tell where the middle is. Is the extended mags for shotguns removed from the game completely or just not in beta? I dunno if I prefer the semiauto or pump. semi auto kills so quickly even though it doesn't one shot but it has barely any ammo. 870 can kill so many people but its so slow and if you miss your one hit kill you're basically hosed because every automatic weapon kills you in 3 or 4 hits and 0.10 seconds.

also transport helicopter minigun doesn't damage vehicles anymore?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Landing the transport heli on the tall building close to C with a minigun facing the elevator is great fun, nobody expects it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

After some experimenting it appears that alas you cannot just stuff an elevator full of C4, hit the button, quickly jump out again before the doors close and then detonate it into the defender's faces up top. Apparently the only thing transported by the elevators are the actual players.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

So any patch notes anywhere?!

Rolling out a Battlefield 4 Open Beta update on PC (Battlelog)

quote:

We have rolled out an update on PC for the Battlefield 4 Open Beta. This update is mainly aimed at reducing some of the loading issues and crashes that players have been experiencing. Full details below.

Load issue
Fixed some of the issues relating to the long and/or permanent load times that some players have experienced on PC.

NOTE: This should reduce the lengthy load times for some of our players. We will continue to investigate further fixes for this issue. If you’ve been experiencing lengthy load times on PC, please apply this patch, try the Open Beta again, and let us know if this helps.

Miscellaneous
-Fixed various crashes when running Windows Vista SP2 or Windows 7
-Fixed various graphical glitches on PC
-Updated the graphics options screen and introduced full-screen borderless mode on PC

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

Perestroika posted:

After some experimenting it appears that alas you cannot just stuff an elevator full of C4, hit the button, quickly jump out again before the doors close and then detonate it into the defender's faces up top. Apparently the only thing transported by the elevators are the actual players.

I've gotten into an elevator, saw enemy C4 attached to the doors, picked it up since I was engi, and come out firing on a dude surprised I wasn't blown to bits.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
I tried that as well, what we may be able to do when the game comes out though, is drive a 4 wheeler properly clothed in C-4 into the elevator with someone riding it, and then have them deliver justice to the elevator door campers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Does anyone know how the elevators "work"? Like, do they actually move the elevator model and your character model with it, or do they just close the doors, wait ten seconds, then teleport you to the top of the shaft?

• Locked thread