Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Alpha is definitely having a wipe, everyone is just getting a full 4x play set from what I understand. There's no purchasing or KS rewards granted, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Boo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

What a Judas posted:

Do we know if this Alpha is going to have a wipe at some point, or will it be like SolForge's ongoing Beta where you get your Kickstarter benefits and can buy more packs etc etc etc and you keep them?

I ask because I want to start farming Lotuses right away, every day, nonstop, forever.

It's already been stated that there will be a wipe between Alpha -> Beta, and that there will be some sort of soft reset during Beta before KS rewards go out.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

What a Judas posted:

Do we know if this Alpha is going to have a wipe at some point, or will it be like SolForge's ongoing Beta where you get your Kickstarter benefits and can buy more packs etc etc etc and you keep them?

I ask because I want to start farming Lotuses right away, every day, nonstop, forever.

Yeah, Alpha is going to have a wipe at least before the swap to Beta. They might wipe earlier if they want to test card acquisition stuff. I believe Beta is also supposed to have a wipe. I would imagine that we might not see PvE until beta, and that they'll want to play around with testing that a bit in terms of reward rates and encounter balancing. I imagine that at some point in Beta, we will get a wipe, then KS rewards will be distributed, and then there will be no more wipes.

EDIT

I think it's pretty necessary to avoid stuff getting hosed. You don't want to have a glitchy raid boss that people farm to hell.

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 7, 2013

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
I can't imagine this game going through beta without some wipes. What matters to me is when the game goes live. Here's hoping we catch all the bugs before launch.

I would like to see a test server as well. Games played on it would count towards minor rewards like small sums of gold or fractions of plat to motivate testing. Would help to combat having reverts a few weeks into new content.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Got an IRC channel going if anyone wants to drop by and talk about cards or whatever while we wait for alpha.

#hex on irc.synirc.net

cathead fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 7, 2013

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

I'll most likely be streaming and building decks day 1 - maybe we can organize some matches in IRC?

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

I wish they'd put up the full spoiler already, I really wanna brew up a ruby/sapphire artifact deck before alpha if possible. For that matter, what's everyone planning on building/trying out first once they get in alpha?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

LightReaper posted:

I wish they'd put up the full spoiler already, I really wanna brew up a ruby/sapphire artifact deck before alpha if possible. For that matter, what's everyone planning on building/trying out first once they get in alpha?

I want to see about what I can do with milling mechanics. Mmm, milled oats decks.

nerox
May 20, 2001

LightReaper posted:

I want to make the MTG equivalent of the white weenie deck, I have no idea what they are called now. The inspiration mechanics seem like they will be a lot of fun.

I also want to make the most annoying deck possible to play against, which will most likely end up being blue or a milling deck.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

nerox posted:

I want to make the MTG equivalent of the white weenie deck, I have no idea what they are called now. The inspiration mechanics seem like they will be a lot of fun.

That's my plan.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

LightReaper posted:

My first deck will be Blood Control. Mono or splash hasn't been decided yet, but the skeleton will be Blood.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

So Cory just posted a card:

https://twitter.com/coryhudsonjones/status/387271500211830784/photo/1

wtf?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Miracle modifiers that aren't tied to awkward honesty issues :swoon:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hahah that's a neat card. It could be really powerful but all the things that would make it more powerful actually nerf it because the more cards you draw in a turn the less likely it'll be the first card you draw that turn. Even if it's in your starting hand it would have to be on the very top of the deck.

Of course if there are cards that give extra turns . . .

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hahah that's a neat card. It could be really powerful but all the things that would make it more powerful actually nerf it because the more cards you draw in a turn the less likely it'll be the first card you draw that turn. Even if it's in your starting hand it would have to be on the very top of the deck.

Does your opening hand count as 'drawn' for Hex?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Isn't that the art for one of the Kickstarter mercs?

e: It is.

They've done the same thing with Gas Troll/Gorfenblort.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Does your opening hand count as 'drawn' for Hex?

It also depends on when it checks for that diamond threshold, because you don't have that when you draw your opening hand.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
A more splashable Serra Angel with an upside. I think I'm okay with that?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

A more splashable Serra Angel with an upside. I think I'm okay with that?

Not just an upside, but a knockoff Miracle trigger. Ripping this off the top of your deck T2 will be so nice. Free of the issues that made Miracle a pain in the rear end in the first place, too.

My only regret is that we probably won't be able to mod in our own art. Serra Angel is one of my favorite creatures.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 7, 2013

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Yeah, turn 2 would be the earliest this could pop out. If you draw it turn 1, you won't have the threshold for it.

E: As for decks to make in alpha. I really want to try a more late game mono-red with Cerebral Fulmination, dwarves, and artifacts. Also something where I get to use Cosmic Transmogrifier on Prophet of Lodegan and get 4 7 drops for 1.

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 7, 2013

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.
I'm going to start with a Shin'hare deck, even if there's more insane possibilities out there. I generally like creature pumping, but combined with the variety of token-generation and sac-for-benefit cards we've seen, it looks like they'll be right up my alley.

Also, they're bunnies. Samurai bunnies. Sold.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
I've always been a fan of token strategies in MtG, so I'll probably try and build a Shin'hare deck to start off with, too. After that, I'll find some card/card combination to build around and try to make something silly happen. I'm really looking forward to trying this game out.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I'm terrible at deckbuilding, so I think a mono ruby burn deck will be easiest for me to figure out. I'm interested in Blood too, maybe a Blood Sapphire weird deck.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I don't really know what I'm going to build first, I'm going to pick all of the cards I find interesting and make decks around them.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I'm going to see what I can come up with for Blood/Diamond, because the name of the combination amuses me. It will probably be bad.

Begath
Apr 27, 2012

Fish are stupid cause they can't climb trees.

Thoom posted:

I'm going to see what I can come up with for Blood/Diamond, because the name of the combination amuses me. It will probably be bad.

Maybe a re-inspire deck? Diamond troops inspires your troops, non inspiring troops die, blood revives dead troops who have the permanent bonus from earlier and get re-inspired for double the effect.

(Please don't hate me if that's a terrible idea. :ohdear: I'm pretty new to tcg concepts.)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
My plan is to focus on black & blue, as usual.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Is Set 1 completely spoiled yet? Or will we not know 100% until it comes out?

I don't know exactly what I'm doing yet, deckwise. I just want to play with the "impossible" cards you couldn't see in Magic.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

We should get full PvP spoilers sometime this week (alpha opens up tomorrow with a full playset of PvP cards). PvE spoilers will take longer since it's not part of alpha.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Eh, I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Are there any cards spoiled yet that forces you or your opponent to put a card on the top of your library?

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
In terms of decks I wanna build all of them, build all of the decks

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Begath posted:

Maybe a re-inspire deck? Diamond troops inspires your troops, non inspiring troops die, blood revives dead troops who have the permanent bonus from earlier and get re-inspired for double the effect.

(Please don't hate me if that's a terrible idea. :ohdear: I'm pretty new to tcg concepts.)

I'm also new to TCGs, but that sounds like a fun idea.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Grim posted:

In terms of decks I wanna build all of them, build all of the decks

This is what I plan on doing. Build everything, try them all out and commit to the decks that I like. Since they're handing out a full playset of everything, I see no reason not to do this.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The deck I really want to build has to wait for PvE, alas. Pack Raptor (with cantrip sword), Petulant Wyldebeest (with affects-every-copy armor), The Ancestors' Chosen, Eye of Creation, Oracle Song, and Replicator's Gambit, with the Cardboard Tube Samurai mercenary providing the one sapphire threshold the deck needs. If you can Gambit a Wyldebeest before it does its own return-to-deck ability then redraw it, you have rapidly inflating numbers of arbitrarily huge 1-cost haste critters. The Pack Raptors and Ancestor Spirits are both cantrips, so drawing them (or playing them with Eye of Creation) doesn't cost you card draw. The only things in the deck that cost more than 3 resources to play are the Eyes of Creation, so you shouldn't get too resource-screwed even with your deck quickly ballooning to massive proportions.

I'm sure it's not the best deck ever, but it should be hilarious to play.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Zurai posted:

The deck I really want to build has to wait for PvE, alas. Pack Raptor (with cantrip sword), Petulant Wyldebeest (with affects-every-copy armor), The Ancestors' Chosen, Eye of Creation, Oracle Song, and Replicator's Gambit, with the Cardboard Tube Samurai mercenary providing the one sapphire threshold the deck needs. If you can Gambit a Wyldebeest before it does its own return-to-deck ability then redraw it, you have rapidly inflating numbers of arbitrarily huge 1-cost haste critters. The Pack Raptors and Ancestor Spirits are both cantrips, so drawing them (or playing them with Eye of Creation) doesn't cost you card draw. The only things in the deck that cost more than 3 resources to play are the Eyes of Creation, so you shouldn't get too resource-screwed even with your deck quickly ballooning to massive proportions.

I'm sure it's not the best deck ever, but it should be hilarious to play.

Hopefully the Wild West format (PvP with equipment. or whatever they decide to call it, that's an awful name) will be a popular format. It seems like it could be hilarious.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Go RV! posted:

Hopefully the Wild West format (PvP with equipment. or whatever they decide to call it, that's an awful name) will be a popular format. It seems like it could be hilarious.

We already have dark ritual an black lotus for that format, so I can't imagine it'll be anything but completely busted.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Well the alpha section on the forums is up, but no sticky post about details yet. Hopefully it's not getting delayed.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Cory's tweet seemed to imply that it was still on for tomorrow.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Go RV! posted:

I think it would be pretty amusing if the most popular format ends up being a crazy free for all. At a dev meeting, "So we think miracles is an interesting mechanic, but lets make it completely broken!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Korak posted:

I think it would be pretty amusing if the most popular format ends up being a crazy free for all.
At a dev meeting, "So we think miracles is an interesting mechanic, but lets make it completely broken!"

This isn't anywhere near Bonfire level. They aren't being any crazier than WotC, just using a different implementation.

• Locked thread