Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, I don't see anything broken about that. It can't come in on turn one (you need a diamond threshold when you draw the card), can't attack on turn two, and by turn three there are several counters to it. Each turn after that, its play-for-free power gets relatively less powerful. By the 5th turn, assuming you havn't missed a land drop, it's not much different from a plain serra angel.

It's really good, no doubt about it, but it's not broken. I don't even know that people will play 4 of them since having it in your starting hand is pretty bad (and having multiples is probably mulligan-worthy). There are good, common counters to it in at least 3 of the 5 colors (murder, buccaneer, inner conflict; can't think of any single-card counters for green or red, but red could double burn or escalated ragefire it).

Zurai fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Yeah the problem with Mircale is the fact it can be an unanswerable effect (Like bonfire which is just brutal unless you are playing counter magic (and even then you have to deal with the threat of it the entire game) whereas this doesn't have anywhere near the instant effect.

For those who aren't up to date with Magic, miracle was a similar effect from a recent set where if a card was the first you drew in a turn you could cast it for a much reduced cost, the most efficient one of these was Bonfire of the Damned which could with a lucky draw not only deal efficient damage to your opponent but also kill every creature on his side of the board.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Still, it's going to be a goddamned house in sealed just like Serra Angel. If you manage to plop one out T2 it's your game to lose.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I don't know if there is a sealed tournament, it seems like there is only draft. It's also the highest rarity, so it won't be in every game.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't understand the effect. It says play for free, but using that effect has a cost?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
You need one Diamond Threshold in order to trigger the effect.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Pomp posted:

I don't understand the effect. It says play for free, but using that effect has a cost?

Threshold in Hex does not function the same as a colored mana cost in Magic. In MTG, if a card says "W: do something", you have to generate at least one point of white mana to pay for it. In Hex, if a card says "Diamond: do something", you just have to have at least one diamond threshold in play. If there's no number next to the threshold symbol, there's no "mana cost" to use the ability. It's basically the same as a Magic card with "0: do something, but only if you have at least one Plains in play".

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I used to run a direct damage deck in old school magic (talking pre ice age here 'cause gently caress cumulative upkeep) with a red/black deck and hoping I can scrounge something similar but haven't seen enough cards that go along those lines. Yes there are a few keepers in there, but not enough to build a whole deck around and I get the feeling a red/blue dwarf deck could do it better. Not to mention dwarf/artifact decks sound like they're going to be very popular at the start.

I think I might try my hand at whipping up a white/blue flyer deck with some inspirations just to do something different at the start. Seems there's a lot of decent flying cards at the moment and a smattering of counters/boosts could make for a very annoying deck to go up against. Could probably even twist it to a control type deck.

Curious to see what the more common and powerful types of decks we'll see a lot at the start will be. For all the synergy a shin hare deck should have, I haven't seen much talk on them but eagerly await seeing a powerful build. Outside of bunnies though, doesn't sound like many are drooling over black and/or green. Inspiration Engine made a lot of people hot for dwarves it seems and can't blame them. Never been a fan of speed rush decks since sometimes a few bad draws can slow you down, but liking the potential for orks. Grah! Why can't it be tomorrow yet?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Go RV! posted:

Hopefully the Wild West format (PvP with equipment. or whatever they decide to call it, that's an awful name) will be a popular format. It seems like it could be hilarious.

It'll be like legacy MTG except people will actually be able to acquire the cards at a reasonable price. :allears:

One of my favorite things about oldschool/legacy magic is listening to stories of the insane poo poo you used to be able to do. Now I get to do it. :getin:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
With Alpha actually opening up, does this mean we need a new thread?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

BenRGamer posted:

Honestly? Probably not.

All alpha is going to do is let us all play with several broken cards in a broken client featuring broken features that won't even exist when it finally goes beta. That's kind of how Alphas roll.

I'd say save a new thread for soft-launch or open beta. One where people can actually get in on it without buying into a F2P game

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

BenRGamer posted:

We can't move to Games until open beta. I got special permission to make this one here, so I don't see a point in trying to make a new one here. I'll update the OP once I actually see some of Alpha and can give a decent write-up.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Reminder that there will be a stream in just under 2 hours.

There's been no news today, so I would imagine that they're saving everything for then.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
Even though I'm not going to be in the first alpha wave, I'm pretty excited! Oh god I hope the servers don't melt with just the GK to Producer tiers.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I woke up early because I couldn't sleep in anticipation of playing this. I can't wait for invites to go out! :circlefap:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Just a reminder that the pre-release stream starts in about 5 minutes.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

pumpinglemma posted:

Just a reminder that the pre-release stream starts in about 5 minutes.

And it's up!

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Alpha status: Sausages currently being made, some issues with launcher/patcher and hopefully the invites will go out later today. I'm pretty amazed they got it up this fast anyways, so holding onto my butt here.

Edit: Cory is making sure to let everyone know what exactly an alpha is like. I appreciate this but I feel bad about the people that are expecting a fully polished game and will take it out on him.

Captain Capitalism fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 8, 2013

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Also, 70 cards are currently missing.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Slept in in hopes of invites having gone out. Status: sad

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I'm guessing that invites will not be out until late today, if not tomorrow. Reading between the lines it sounds like they're still grappling with some major issues and that'll probably take a bit to fix.

It's certainly an alpha!

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Captain Capitalism posted:

I'm guessing that invites will not be out until late today, if not tomorrow. Reading between the lines it sounds like they're still grappling with some major issues and that'll probably take a bit to fix.

It's certainly an alpha!

I was just really hoping to get to play around today. Today is a day off, tomorrow I don't get home until like 1am.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Looks like Blizzard are up to their old tricks. Exactly 3 minutes before the Hex livestream started I got a Hearthstone beta invite. I'd bet anything they just did a massive wave of invites to try to steal some thunder.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Thoom posted:

Looks like Blizzard are up to their old tricks. Exactly 3 minutes before the Hex livestream started I got a Hearthstone beta invite. I'd bet anything they just did a massive wave of invites to try to steal some thunder.

Shame I didn't get one, I could be playing that right now instead of half watching the stream.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Karnegal posted:

Shame I didn't get one, I could be playing that right now instead of half watching the stream.
Alpha Access should be for 4PM PST now, it seems. I guess at least we have a timeframe.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
This thing is looking really good despite alpha status. Sucks I won't be playing super soon but maaaaan! :aaa:

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I didn't get to watch all of it due to ~work~, but did they mention when the full spoiler would be out?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Apparently it should go out at the same time as the first wave of alpha invites. There'll be an update at 4 PM PDT, at which point the invites may go out, or we'll get an update on when they might.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Go RV! posted:

I didn't get to watch all of it due to ~work~, but did they mention when the full spoiler would be out?

Cards will be added as they are finished. Certain cards are bugged or require specific code for them that are being worked on. Cory said there should be updates every 1-2 days for the alpha client, and these cards will be added as they become usable.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Spoiler/Quickstart doc is tied to alpha invites being sent out, so will be either tonight or tomorrow. There will be an update on the status of Wave 1 invites at 4pm PDT/7pm EDT. Wave 2 will be the $250 tiers and will be ASAP after Wave 1.

Keep an eye on this thread for further info.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Actually, found the stream notes on the official forum. Copy/pasting below for my fellow workers.

quote:

Alpha is alpha. Things are rough and there will be bugs and glitches
10-20% of the games are currently ending in crashes
Updates through the alpha patcher may be occuring daily or every other day
Some cards aren't showing the correct resolution and will be fixed
About 70 cards are missing from the game current. Will be added when ready. Cards may be added daily
There is a rudimentary AI, much improvement is needed to it
At the end of a game, game stats will display (not currently displaying)
MVP card will be shown at the end of the game (not currently displaying)
A rotating "wacky stat" will be shown as part of the stat (not currently displaying)
Several new cards were spoiled during the cast
Some of the art has changed on previous spoiled cards, as the art didn't live up to Cory's expectations. Example: Sword Trainer

And most importantly. Alpha invites have not gone out. There are still major issues with the launcher/patcher and game crashes. People are working 24/7 and invites will start going out when its ready (could be tonight... could be tomorrow).

[Alpha Invites]

Alpha Might be delayed

Hextcg: We're currently looking at giving people an update on when alpha invites will begin releasing around 4 PM PST today.

Hextcg: Slacker backers will have access in a few weeks, most likely

Hextcg: I can't give an exact answer to when any particular person will receive alpha access.

Hextcg: The $250 tiers will get in the second wave. I cannot say specifically when that will be other than as soon as possible.

Hextcg: while the first wave is just 1,300 people, we'll be able to open the pipeline to invite larger amounts in the future.

Hextcg: I can't answer anything specific about alpha access like uptime as that is all dependent on our hardware and engineers.

Hextcg: I just want to emphasize that Alpha is a "work in progress" and very distinct from Beta.

[Support]

Hextcg: We're partnering with Twitch to do a lot of things, like integration, and we're going to make sure the game has the proper visibility once it's more polished.

Hextcg: we will support Steam API

[Spoiler]

Hextcg: The spoiler is done

Hextcg: There will be a spoiler PDF published.

Hextcg: The spoiler I project will be today or tomorrow (if we can't get the two critical bugs fixed), tied to alpha invites going out.

[Misc]

Pass priority able to adjust from 3-10 secs *Adjustable for Various phase

70 cards unable for play due to some bugs (unsure when will this be resolved)

Hextcg: Names will persist from alpha to beta to retail.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I didn't expect to have to wait a few more weeks :smith:

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
When I used the term "weeks," I was literally guessing. We just can't know until we see how the servers react. I felt the need to say something because assumptions were being made and began to spread amongst the community.

Something that's weighing on me is that players aren't familiar with alpha games and as much as we're trying to get the message of "alphas are bug-filled and crash by nature," players are expecting a 24/7 buffet of gaming.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Blinkman987 posted:

Something that's weighing on me is that players aren't familiar with alpha games and as much as we're trying to get the message of "alphas are bug-filled and crash by nature," players are expecting a 24/7 buffet of gaming.

There's only so much you can do about people being stupid about that. There's always going to be a group of spoiled entitled nerds out there that think they deserve everything right away because they don't understand how game development works. Don't feel bad about it, you guys are doing fine with the communication so far!

Now where's the fuckin' spoiler doc, Lebowski?!?!

(:v:)

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

For an alpha, it looks pretty impressive. I'm still really excited, and I wouldn't let the people that were going to bitch either way get you down. I did notice Cory trying to talk people down himself, but I doubt it'll help too much.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Blinkman987 posted:

When I used the term "weeks," I was literally guessing. We just can't know until we see how the servers react. I felt the need to say something because assumptions were being made and began to spread amongst the community.

The people who were complaining that $20 pledges had to wait longer were killing me. There is a limit to how many people you can bring in at a time, pledge level seems like a very obvious way to do so. I can't believe that all levels are getting Alpha access period, that people bitch that guys who spent $10k get in sooner than guys who spent $20 is mind boggling.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I am a little disappointed that I have to wait, but you're right, it makes way more sense to start with the higher tiers and work down.

I certainly wouldn't rage about it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Blinkman987 posted:

Just put "This is an alpha. There will be bugs. You have been warned." in big flashing red block letters on the login screen. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Karnegal posted:

The people who were complaining that $20 pledges had to wait longer were killing me. There is a limit to how many people you can bring in at a time, pledge level seems like a very obvious way to do so. I can't believe that all levels are getting Alpha access period, that people bitch that guys who spent $10k get in sooner than guys who spent $20 is mind boggling.
This is sort of why it's dumb to release an alpha for a multiplayer game when you're gonna contend with both server issues and actual game issues.

If Hex ends up tanking this is probably the beginning the end. :v:

• Locked thread