Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
City of Heros/City of Villains had around 150,000 active subscriptions before it was announced that it would be discontinued. That may sound small, but it's well within the middle tier of paid MMOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It can't have too many people or the game would have never been cancelled in the first place.
CoH went down to publisher malpractice, not lack of interest. The fact that there's THIS much obvious pent-up demand should indicate just how sizable its fanbase was, and how mad they were that their game got cancelled.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Falcon2001 posted:

I'm a giant idiot and can't read.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 8, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Falcon2001 posted:

Also, saying 'we don't pretend to want to be an MMO' is total bullshit compared to the fact that you're billing yourself as the successor to one, and you flat out said you were making one.
Emphasis mine.

He's not the CoH spiritual successor dude.

skindepth posted:

Howdy. I have my own kickstarter attempt at a video game as well... Figured I'd submit it to some well deserved ridicule.

A quick explanation: I started A Game of Bros, which you can try out here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573736 as a forum and imageboard game about a year ago. It took off pretty well, and I soon had created updated and polished versions. There werent quite enough skilled people to DM the games, so I started to look at ways to automate things. I wrote up a world history based off of some of the games we'd played and created our own game world, and then found a team to start bulding it, and that brings us here, with me trying to raise a meager thousand dollars to #1 pay my development team a little bit #2 buy some ads and #3 just prove theres enough interest in the project to make it worthwhile. The game is already being worked on funded with what little money I can spare and is going to come out this winter, the only difference is that if it isn't funded, I'll be paying for it out of my own pocket while working for 10 dollars an hour.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/861784276/lords-of-tyberis

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I'm an idiot and can't read. Carry on. :( Sorry.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Is it kosher to post pen and paper RPGs here, or is there a thread on TG I can post in for that?

EDIT: VVVV Sweet, thanks!

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 8, 2013

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Don Gato posted:

Is it kosher to post pen and paper RPGs here, or is there a thread on TG I can post in for that?

TG Kickstarter Thread II - Son of the Stretch Goal is probably where you want to put it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

He's not the CoH spiritual successor dude.

Wow, that's an incredibly bad pitch video. Holy crap. Bad artwork aside (it's really bad), why is the name spelled two different ways? Is it Lords of Tyberis or Tiberis? It doesn't bode well when you can't even get your own game's name right half the time. Combined with the insanely low effort video, it just exudes this aura of not giving a poo poo. And then the game itself. I still barely understand what it is. It's a turn based strategy of sorts? What is it most similar to, Risk? What kinds of systems will it have? If it's been around for over a year as a forum game, surely there are plenty of details about how it plays that they could inform the backer on, but there are very few on that page. And the details that are there are really low on the page. They go into detail about the team and the history of the game before they give us only a vague idea of what the game even is. The history of the game is completely uninteresting and actually totally meaningless without context of what the game is. And that game world is waaay too similar to GoT's

I'm confident that a forum game turned proper web game could make $1000 on Kickstarter if you put at least a modicum of effort into it.

skindepth
Jun 22, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Wow, that's an incredibly bad pitch video. Holy crap. Bad artwork aside (it's really bad), why is the name spelled two different ways? Is it Lords of Tyberis or Tiberis? It doesn't bode well when you can't even get your own game's name right half the time. Combined with the insanely low effort video, it just exudes this aura of not giving a poo poo. And then the game itself. I still barely understand what it is. It's a turn based strategy of sorts? What is it most similar to, Risk? What kinds of systems will it have? If it's been around for over a year as a forum game, surely there are plenty of details about how it plays that they could inform the backer on, but there are very few on that page. And the details that are there are really low on the page. They go into detail about the team and the history of the game before they give us only a vague idea of what the game even is. The history of the game is completely uninteresting and actually totally meaningless without context of what the game is. And that game world is waaay too similar to GoT's

I'm confident that a forum game turned proper web game could make $1000 on Kickstarter if you put at least a modicum of effort into it.

We shot almost an hour of footage, and that was the best of it, though that's hardly an excuse. I decided to just edit it the best I could and use it so we could keep the project on schedule. The name is spelled wrong only by that one artist. I honestly hadn't even noticed that, being so preoccupied with, ya know, everything. I'll get the artist to fix that immediately. It's spelled with a Y on every other piece of official material.

The game is turn based strategy with some roleplaying added in, yep. It's similar to Risk, Civilization 2, and I'm working on the RPG elements like levels and character classes, which we'd only ever poked towards briefly in its time as a forum game because there was no central hub to keep character info. Theres actually a little video on the kickstarter about basic game play to start off. The more advanced game play focuses on the diplomacy aspect, the give and take that gets you into power or just gets you killed when you screw it up, or someone else screws you over.

Each game will be treated as a battle in the sort of RPG situation, whereby you gain XP for surviving. This XP will level up your character in 1-4 games. Characters will have skills that affect combat or diplomacy, or sometimes both so you can match your character type with your strategy and tactics in the game.

I'll bump up the game details to the top and clarify them a bit. Thanks so much for the help! The banner has been fixed and I'm working on the game details now.

skindepth fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 8, 2013

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Wow, that's an incredibly bad pitch video. Holy crap.
Seriously. Sorry skindepth, quite frankly that is the worst Kickstarter video I've seen, and I keep tabs on the Awful Kickstarter thread.

Skimming through your page, the biggest question I have is that you don't say what you need the money for. I've backed a beginner project or two that are along the lines of "I'm a broke student with a mostly complete game and need a grand to buy a Mac Mini to get my game on iOS." but your plan seems to be to divvy up the cash between your team for - reasons?

skindepth
Jun 22, 2010

Trapezium Dave posted:

Seriously. Sorry skindepth, quite frankly that is the worst Kickstarter video I've seen, and I keep tabs on the Awful Kickstarter thread.

Skimming through your page, the biggest question I have is that you don't say what you need the money for. I've backed a beginner project or two that are along the lines of "I'm a broke student with a mostly complete game and need a grand to buy a Mac Mini to get my game on iOS." but your plan seems to be to divvy up the cash between your team for - reasons?

I think I was overambitious with the video, I might want to create a simple, straightforward vid when I inevitably relaunch the project. Just me talking and some stills of game stuff.

The main thing I need the money for is to pay my team for their work and pay for web hosting, maybe buy an ad or two, I think that was made clear on the page. And it's not as though everyone is going to be rolling in the dough from this. 300 dollars and part ownership for programming a functional game isn't that much, and they're getting paid either way, so it's not like I just promised them free kickstarter money. I value the work my team does, and I want to recompense them for that, whether I have to do it from my own pocket in installments or whether I can get the funds with the KS campaign, I'll see it done.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

skindepth posted:

The main thing I need the money for is to pay my team for their work and pay for web hosting, maybe buy an ad or two, I think that was made clear on the page. And it's not as though everyone is going to be rolling in the dough from this. 300 dollars and part ownership for programming a functional game isn't that much, and they're getting paid either way, so it's not like I just promised them free kickstarter money. I value the work my team does, and I want to recompense them for that, whether I have to do it from my own pocket in installments or whether I can get the funds with the KS campaign, I'll see it done.
The red flag for me isn't that you're asking for too much, it's that you're asking for too little. For example, $100 contracted out to music might get you a simple one minute boppy sound track to loop for a platformer demo. I can understand the desire to give out some cash to friends who are helping you out on a game, but it's not something that you can base a Kickstarter around.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, the amount of money being asked for in that kickstarter clearly isn't going to fund the game so I don't see why anyone would pledge - it's kinda just like asking for some free money oh and by the way we're working on a game.

Also seconding the comment about how derivative the world map looks. I don't even know all that much about GoT besides watching the tv show and even I noticed it. There's not really any need for it to look THAT similar.

skindepth
Jun 22, 2010

Trapezium Dave posted:

The red flag for me isn't that you're asking for too much, it's that you're asking for too little. For example, $100 contracted out to music might get you a simple one minute boppy sound track to loop for a platformer demo. I can understand the desire to give out some cash to friends who are helping you out on a game, but it's not something that you can base a Kickstarter around.

They're not friends, I only know one of them socially, and he's not being paid. We are indeed using 100 dollars for a song that we can use in the title or an eventual promo video for the game if we can ever swing such an extravagance. One of the main points of the kickstarter is to demonstrate that there is sufficient interest in the game to justify working on it, to show everyone on the project that it's something worthwhile. It's not just funding, it's also publicity and a sort of test. We're going to use some public domain classical music for the game as well, because that's good and free, I have a music guy working on editing some of it for the project. It's being done on a shoestring budget because it doesn't need the shiney graphics and so on that other games might require.

Chalks posted:

Yeah, the amount of money being asked for in that kickstarter clearly isn't going to fund the game so I don't see why anyone would pledge - it's kinda just like asking for some free money oh and by the way we're working on a game.

Also seconding the comment about how derivative the world map looks. I don't even know all that much about GoT besides watching the tv show and even I noticed it. There's not really any need for it to look THAT similar.

Interestingly enough, we didn't base the map off of Game of Thrones, it's an inverted version of Britain and Ireland. (which incidentally is the same thing GRRM did to create Westeros) The similarity just allows for us to carry over a lot of the geographical interactions from the original version.

Illessa
Aug 31, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

In non-angry MMO chat this Mark of the Old Ones game seems interesting. I really don't have any big thing for HP Lovecraft stories or the Cthulhu mythos but the demo is pretty neat. It sort of plays like a mash-up of PixelJunk Eden and Bionic Commando except with a focus on more realistic physics and a two-tentacle system. With a standard dual analogue controller you sort of aim one of two appendages and then use the shoulder buttons to grab and release allowing you to sort of crawl along ceilings and pull things around. I'm not sure why they haven't put their Kickstarter video on YouTube as well but here's a physics demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxGtLnOirt0

They're shooting for a fully 3D game but on a 2D plane ala Trine which would be neat. Here's some concept art if that's your thing:

I backed it because I love physics based games even though I'm occasionally seriously terrible at them. :v:

This is interesting! I wonder how much it hurt them putting the wireframe demo front & centre though. I had to fight a poor gut reaction to it and I don't mind minimal graphics at all (I love the look of Emerald for instance). A video selling me Lovecraftian horror segueing into something that looks like a vector arcade game (with super dramatic music!) was just... really jarring. I don't think I've seen a Kickstarter before that showed gameplay without trying to even approximate what they want the finished product to look like.

Illessa fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 8, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Our game is not going to be super enormous huge. We can't do super enormous huge. We know we can't. Sometimes the enthusiasm our team has for the game and it's potential overshadows our grasp on the practicalities of game development. Being a 2D game would be easier, for sure. I mean, in terms of gameplay. We'd be spending a lot more time designing unique environments because everything would be hand-drawn instead of constructed out of our modular building components, have an absolutely crippled character design system (attaching costume parts to a 3D model's rig is pretty simple and something basically every game made in the past 10 years can do trivially, making a lot of overlapping 2D parts work on the fly is basically a nightmare for anything complicated looking and why in-depth character customization didn't take off until the polygonal 3D era), and it would likely not support a lot of the things we want to be able to do, which rely on being a modern, 3D game.

You have no loving clue what you're talking about. :v:

CapnAndy posted:

cause seriously warcabbit you can't make an MMO, I get that you want it really badly but you are clearly not a programmer, and all your "should be easy enough" things and comparisons to end-user tools that teams of professionals labored over for years to give you just demonstrate how much you don't understand the scope of what you've taken on. Either you're not asking your programming team just how feasible this poo poo is, or they're goddamn deluded, and neither option is very promising. And if I'm wrong and you actually do write code? That's worse.

Have fun finding these things out the hard way over the next two years!

Cannot agree with this enough. This is a team of artists who are high on their own farts and they either don't have programmers or their programmers are delusional and selling them on things they can't build. Never. Going. To. Happen.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 8, 2013

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

You have no loving clue what you're talking about. :v:

Naw man it's simple. It's like how they didn't fully animate Faith in Mirror's Edge to save time.

It's a bunch of weird tricks some mom discovered that have AAA developers furious!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

skindepth posted:

You sound like you've been around the block a time or two, do you have any advice on my concept? We don't pretend to want to be an MMO, each game instance will support at most 20-30 people, usually between 10-15, and possibly less if there are AI players. It's a tested game system with a lot of the mechanical kinks worked out, so coding is really the primary thing we're working on, and we hope to have something plresentable within ten days.

You mention that being a programmer's first game is a warning bell, that's the case with us. However, this isn't an overly ambitious project. It's a fairly straight forward chat program and a fairly straight forward map editor, with dice rolls added in, and then some databasage and recording of character stats, etc. Did I mention this is also going to be a free to play game? So it's not like we're asking for donations to make something we plan to make money off of, I'm hoping if we can sell ads it'll be enough to pay for the servers and make the thing self sustaining. We also have plans for premium accounts, but the game definitely won't be pay to win.

Your concept sounds great, honestly. Its like 100,000,000,000,000 more feasible than the MMO idea, lol.
I could probably code your game by myself, if I was working on it full time, which is great. That leaves you room to add features later or fix problems, etc. You do not want to be pushing yourself to your limits on your first project, there are going to be lots of surprises anyways.

The game mechanics look pretty straightforward, like something you could implement as a board game.

In fact, if you haven't already, by the way, DO THAT. :siren: If you want to be a game designer, build board games. :siren: The turnaround for testing is SOOOO much faster, you'll learn TONS about your game and about design. Having to wait for programmers to implement your ideas to test them and find out what works or what sucks is too slow. You need to have a pretty solid game design in place for the programmers already, their time is too expensive. Some changes will come after testing the game, but do as much as you can ahead of time. If you're already doing this, then good on you.

Honestly your game idea is very feasible and a great project for a newbie game team. However your kickstarter seems doomed.

As the goons have pointed out, the video and the page itself are just kinda bad.

The biggest thing right now is the game is all programmer art; that's a huge turn off. I get that you're working on your beta, and its not fair to demand a fully polished game, but at the same time, if that's ALL you've shown to people, that's what they'll see.

What you need is a few mockup pictures of what the UI could end up looking like, along with some general art. You've got a couple banners and that one map and that's it, and they're buried at the bottom of the page! Put that map up top, that's your most eye-catching art. You need TONS more art like that. Even if its just concept art of dudes with swords and shields, that'll get people in the mood to then read about your game and give it a shot.

I usually don't kickstart games unless they look like they're mostly done, because its just too drat risky. Even if you guys have a feasible game idea, who knows if you'll end up making it or wasting all your time fighting each other? You're an unknown, I can't trust anybody on your team, so the game needs to really be amazing. You need something to 'pop', and right now there's exactly 0 here that seems fresh or exciting. Its a game, and it could be fun, but its meh at best. You need to add some flavor, spice things up.

The biggest thing is just the kickstarter page is way too bland. You need tons of graphics and a much better video. Completely reshoot the video.

Get somebody who knows what they're doing to edit your video, and then test your video on friends and family BEFORE launching a kickstarter. (whoops)

Ideally get some more art and finish more of the game before your kickstarter, but I get the feeling you can't afford to do that? Well, sorry to say, maybe you can't afford a game right now.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 8, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Well, this is odd. Square Enix is setting up a service that lets developers propose game concepts using SE's IPs. If people vote enough interest ala Greenlight, and there's enough evidence that they can actually do it, they get to take their idea to Indiegogo for funding.

Not sure what to think of this, honestly. It seems a bit unclear.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Kins posted:

Well, this is odd. Square Enix is setting up a service that lets developers propose game concepts using SE's IPs. If people vote enough interest ala Greenlight, and there's enough evidence that they can actually do it, they get to take their idea to Indiegogo for funding.

It sounds like a good way to get fringe ideas that are really popular with a particular group, build a game with a vague resemblance and market it as the next big thing but still stick to the tried and true. Basically it's a publicity stunt and the final product will not in the least resemble the spergy fantasies of fans.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Kins posted:

Tie that to a pre-order system where your money is your vote and projects that don't get chosen get refunded, and SE would be printing money. Just make your own internal Kickstarter.

Valve was talking about doing something like that, but they haven't yet. I expect the game industry to slowly dip their toes in that direction, what with how massively expensive games are.

Everybody makes sequels right now because they're too scared of failure. Using this system, you could offload the risk to the customers. OTOH that means we could end up buying poo poo games before we even know they're poo poo, but OTOH it means we could throw down money to make the games happen that we've been begging for but get ignored, and fewer sequels. More creativity and variety.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Not only will every Square Enix game be a Final Fantasy game, soon everyone else's games will be Final Fantasy games too. Shoot Galbadian soldiers in Call of Dollet. Stare at spreadsheets in Blitzball Manager. Serah comes home to discover the truth of Vanille and Fang's relationship through a series of notes and objects.

No escape.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Peel posted:

Stare at spreadsheets in Blitzball Manager.

You joke but I would buy that the absolute nanosecond it became available.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

The Kins posted:

:10bux: says that even though the games are crowdfunded, SE takes the lion's share of the profits. So it's basically a game they don't have to pay for but still get money from.

Yeah, pass.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

skindepth posted:

Interestingly enough, we didn't base the map off of Game of Thrones, it's an inverted version of Britain and Ireland. (which incidentally is the same thing GRRM did to create Westeros) The similarity just allows for us to carry over a lot of the geographical interactions from the original version.
When you say original version here, what do you mean? GRRM's Westeros? I'm not sure I would use the word original version if you claim it's just a case of convergent ideas instead of a ripoff.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'd want to take a long, hard look at the legalese attached to that offering from Squeenix, preferably with an IP lawyer or artist's agent at hand, before I went anywhere near the business end of that thing.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Illessa posted:

This is interesting! I wonder how much it hurt them putting the wireframe demo front & centre though. I had to fight a poor gut reaction to it and I don't mind minimal graphics at all (I love the look of Emerald for instance). A video selling me Lovecraftian horror segueing into something that looks like a vector arcade game (with super dramatic music!) was just... really jarring. I don't think I've seen a Kickstarter before that showed gameplay without trying to even approximate what they want the finished product to look like.

Yeah that's really lacking from the video. Still I like the mechanics and hopefully they'll be able to pull through with a fun game.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I don't think Knite and the Ghost Lights is gonna make it :(

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2011341880/knite-and-the-ghost-lights

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The Kins posted:

Cue 5 umpteen billion cries of "Why isn't CAPCOM doing this?"

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Kins posted:

I think it's telling that SE isn't allowing any of their own IPs to be used, only Eidos', and only a select few. They don't seem to have much confidence in this. Also, they seem unclear on what their publishing terms will be. Are they matching the indiegogo funds? Or are they just going to fund all development and use indiegogo to make a little extra on the side? I suspect the latter, which ultimately leads to a major publisher doing what everyone was dreading.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 8, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

I kicked it some cash. Looks neat.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

If this game doesn't get funded I will be super sad. The developers of this game made one of the few games on Android that I legitimately enjoy. :ohdear:

skindepth
Jun 22, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Your concept sounds great, honestly. Its like 100,000,000,000,000 more feasible than the MMO idea, lol.
I could probably code your game by myself, if I was working on it full time, which is great. That leaves you room to add features later or fix problems, etc. You do not want to be pushing yourself to your limits on your first project, there are going to be lots of surprises anyways.

The game mechanics look pretty straightforward, like something you could implement as a board game.

The biggest thing right now is the game is all programmer art; that's a huge turn off. I get that you're working on your beta, and its not fair to demand a fully polished game, but at the same time, if that's ALL you've shown to people, that's what they'll see.

What you need is a few mockup pictures of what the UI could end up looking like, along with some general art. You've got a couple banners and that one map and that's it, and they're buried at the bottom of the page! Put that map up top, that's your most eye-catching art. You need TONS more art like that. Even if its just concept art of dudes with swords and shields, that'll get people in the mood to then read about your game and give it a shot.

I usually don't kickstart games unless they look like they're mostly done, because its just too drat risky. Even if you guys have a feasible game idea, who knows if you'll end up making it or wasting all your time fighting each other? You're an unknown, I can't trust anybody on your team, so the game needs to really be amazing. You need something to 'pop', and right now there's exactly 0 here that seems fresh or exciting. Its a game, and it could be fun, but its meh at best. You need to add some flavor, spice things up.

The biggest thing is just the kickstarter page is way too bland. You need tons of graphics and a much better video. Completely reshoot the video.

Get somebody who knows what they're doing to edit your video, and then test your video on friends and family BEFORE launching a kickstarter. (whoops)

Ideally get some more art and finish more of the game before your kickstarter, but I get the feeling you can't afford to do that? Well, sorry to say, maybe you can't afford a game right now.

I hope you don't mind, but I saved this in a text file as basically my to do list. I'm considering whether to scrap the Kickstarter and just start fresh, or to try to modify it. Thanks for all of this, it's a great help. You've contributed a lot to the project!

The game has been played basically as a board game online for a year, which gave us a lot of material to work with including different versions of the game. This is version 4.1 basically and it's the simplest, so we're going to get this off the ground and then add more later in expansions. As you said, the advantage of that is that game mechanics have been tested, bitched about, tweaked, bitched about some more, told one or two players to deal with it or screw off (yay customer service experience!) Not to say there was a LOT of bitching, but I'm now accustomed to the general "nerf this, buff that" etc complaints that come with making a game, so that's important experience already.

I suppose I did jump the gun a bit, kickstarter version 2.0 will definitely be better. I can try to front some money to my team to keep them working in the mean time, and wait til I have something more polished to present.

The Kins posted:

I sure hope they like the words "remake" and "FF7" because I expect that to be 90 percent of the response. Not that I personally would trust Squeenix with remaking FF6 or FF7... hell I'd barely trust them with FF8

A Buttery Pastry posted:

When you say original version here, what do you mean? GRRM's Westeros? I'm not sure I would use the word original version if you claim it's just a case of convergent ideas instead of a ripoff.

The original version of our game was a fan game for Game of Thrones featuring their WORLD, but wholly developed and implemented by myself and fellow players. Obviously they werent about to license us to develop something on such shakey grounds, so we went ahead and created our own game world but kept a look similar to the map, because for our game history, etc, what I'm doing is changing all the names and transferring real game events produced by myself and the players from the original into the history for this property with a few things tweaked for continuity. That's the direction I want to take this, with game play having a real impact on the game world. Naturally not every game will, but I envision at least twice a year we'll have story line games that change some things up.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

skindepth posted:

I sure hope they like the words "remake" and "FF7" because I expect that to be 90 percent of the response. Not that I personally would trust Squeenix with remaking FF6 or FF7... hell I'd barely trust them with FF8

Read it more closely, only a select few no longer in use Eidos properties are going to be available. It seems to be a side point to the endeavor, they expect most pitches to be original.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

My idea is for them to make Vagrant Story 2 and do it like Dark Souls, but I guess they don't that good of an idea.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Only if they manage to rope Matsuno back in again.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
As long as all of your armor has your butt hanging out I'd love to play a Vagrant Story 2.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Read it more closely, only a select few no longer in use Eidos properties are going to be available. It seems to be a side point to the endeavor, they expect most pitches to be original.

Finally, everybody will get The Bouncer Nightmare Creatures and Fighting Force sequels they never needed, I guess? Honestly, the only reason I can see to dig into this is for some insane dev to give us Bushido Blade 3 Urban Chaos 3.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 8, 2013

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Likewise, I don't think Citizens of Earth is going to make it :(

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/499609193/citizens-of-earth-a-modern-rpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Sefer posted:

Likewise, I don't think Citizens of Earth is going to make it :(

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/499609193/citizens-of-earth-a-modern-rpg

they need $50k just for character art for that?