Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So when Capcom did the PC port of Resident Evil 4 with only fullbright lighting, they were really future proofing it for the OUYA. Clever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

So when Capcom did the PC port of Resident Evil 4 with only fullbright lighting, they were really future proofing it for the OUYA. Clever!

That was actually back when Capcom just completely outsourced their PC games to cheap studios and didn't give a gently caress.

And that was the game that made them revise their policy and develop for PC first and then port to console in-house.

God that was so bad. No lighting, cutscenes were all pre-rendered (they were realtime on gamecube, mind you), NO MOUSE SUPPORT :psyduck:

Yeah anybody who expected better than cellphone games for OUYA was a sucker.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Zaphod42 posted:

God that was so bad. No lighting, cutscenes were all pre-rendered (they were realtime on gamecube, mind you), NO MOUSE SUPPORT :psyduck:

I forgave Capcom for those trespasses when they made the Wii version. Mercenaries mode on the Wii was like two shots of crack.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

Super Rad posted:

I forgave Capcom for those trespasses when they made the Wii version. Mercenaries mode on the Wii was like two shots of crack.

Why was Mercs on Wii RE4 better? I never bothered to play through it at all since I had done everything in it on the GC release of the game.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
The Wiimote aiming mostly. I think my roommate at the time said it best, but it was the only game we've played where we would get so wound up and into it (especially if a high score was incoming) that we would actually start to shake and would have to consciously calm ourselves to keep aiming straight.

Mercenaries mode especially rewarded good gameplay, so it was just a thrill to put up a huge number - or to go balls to the wall only to get instantly decapitated by the mega burlap Ganados with the double bladed flaming chainsaws.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Super Rad posted:

The Wiimote aiming mostly. I think my roommate at the time said it best, but it was the only game we've played where we would get so wound up and into it (especially if a high score was incoming) that we would actually start to shake and would have to consciously calm ourselves to keep aiming straight.

I barely played the GC version, but when I got my hands on the Wii version I played it nearly nonstop. The Wiimote aiming was absolutely perfect, and paid off when I got a headshot on a Ganados climbing over a low wall. The game freaked out and sent him flying away into the sky.

I'm sure he's still in space, looking down on my not-Spain not-zombie murder rampage.

edit: Haha, he's not looking, I blew his loving head off.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zaphod42 posted:

(they were realtime on gamecube, mind you)

But they were pre-rendered on the PS2, which was the basis for the port (alongside DMC3 and Onimusha 3). But yeah, Sourcenext were terrible people.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Oh god that Resident Evil 4 Capcom PC. It didn't even have mouse support. It totally was an OUYA product ahead of it's time.

Also, I made this.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
How dare you call it a phone box. Ouya doesn't make phone calls

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Oh god that Resident Evil 4 Capcom PC. It didn't even have mouse support. It totally was an OUYA product ahead of it's time.

Also, I made this.

I like your picture very much.

MrSpiffy
Aug 13, 2000

:woop::siren::siren::siren::woop:
FREDDIE WONG POSTING HERE
:woop::siren::siren::siren::woop:
Wow it literally took me this long to consider the insane implications of a company that has received millions of dollars giving out their lawyer's email address as a reference to an episode of Breaking Bad. Wow.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

MrSpiffy posted:

Wow it literally took me this long to consider the insane implications of a company that has received millions of dollars giving out their lawyer's email address as a reference to an episode of Breaking Bad. Wow.

Wait what? This is news to me

RocketDarkness
Jun 3, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

Wait what? This is news to me

Pretty sure their legal team's email address is bettercallsaul@ouya.tv, or whatever their domain is.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

"There are plenty of OUYA games with a striking or retro indie style, but The Ball is probably the game with the most advanced visuals."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

RocketDarkness posted:

Pretty sure their legal team's email address is bettercallsaul@ouya.tv, or whatever their domain is.

Ugh, everything they do is just so groan inducing

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MrSpiffy posted:

It's because they're a hip and cool innovating company, duh :rolleyes:. How else are they going to jive with the cool kids these days and get them on their wavelength to peep the message they're sending out?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's because they're a hip and cool innovating company, duh :rolleyes:. How else are they going to jive with the cool kids these days and get them on their wavelength to peep the message they're sending out?

Spam their pagers, of course.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Alan Smithee posted:

How dare you call it a phone box. Ouya doesn't make phone calls

Well the good news is the Doctor got the chameleon circuit working.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
I was at Indiecade today and saw Ouya's booth from Nintendo's. It had a big Amazing Frog ad, and it was surreal after reading this thread for so long to see Julie hanging out there. They were also having tournaments all day, and the Get on Top tournament (to win a free Ouya!) signup was empty. :laugh:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Chekans 3 16 posted:

I was at Indiecade today and saw Ouya's booth from Nintendo's. It had a big Amazing Frog ad, and it was surreal after reading this thread for so long to see Julie hanging out there. They were also having tournaments all day, and the Get on Top tournament (to win a free Ouya!) signup was empty. :laugh:

You dare show your face after not getting pictures?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I was opening a file in Windows 7 and it made an OUYA joke.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

RocketDarkness posted:

It was that, then they realized how bad an idea it was and changed the email address to something appropriate.

What? No, they didn't call it support@ouya. It's savetheprincess@ouya or some poo poo.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I realize this has probably been posted before but it just occurred to me that the OUYA's production priorities are all hosed up. There are still Kickstarter backers who haven't gotten their units and yet you can go to the local Gamestop or whatever and pick one up for like $60 or something. Instead of making sure the original backers, you know the fools who made this thing happen, got their units first, they decided the best course of action was to get it out to stores as soon as possible and give the backers their units whenever. If I helped fund a console, I'd expect to get the unit either before or when it hit the shelves, not months afterwards.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
Surely believing should be enough? The emotional fulfillment the backers feel is worth the weight of a thousand gold colored foil covered Ouyas!

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Cowman posted:

I realize this has probably been posted before but it just occurred to me that the OUYA's production priorities are all hosed up.

It isn't that hosed up if you believe OUYA Inc. didn't really care about their backers at all.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

Surely believing should be enough? The emotional fulfillment the backers feel is worth the weight of a thousand gold colored foil covered Ouyas!

Brown colored foil. Please.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Cowman posted:

I realize this has probably been posted before but it just occurred to me that the OUYA's production priorities are all hosed up. There are still Kickstarter backers who haven't gotten their units and yet you can go to the local Gamestop or whatever and pick one up for like $60 or something. Instead of making sure the original backers, you know the fools who made this thing happen, got their units first, they decided the best course of action was to get it out to stores as soon as possible and give the backers their units whenever. If I helped fund a console, I'd expect to get the unit either before or when it hit the shelves, not months afterwards.

Pretty sure this is because before they got the extra 20 or so million in extra funding, they needed cash NOW, and so they needed to bring in new money by selling the stock they had to new customers rather than use it to fulfill sales they'd already made and collected the cash on.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Rudager posted:

Pretty sure this is because before they got the extra 20 or so million in extra funding, they needed cash NOW, and so they needed to bring in new money by selling the stock they had to new customers rather than use it to fulfill sales they'd already made and collected the cash on.

Also because the big retailers will gently caress you over hard if you don't deliver enough units to make your contractual obligations.

We still don't know that they make a profit on each unit sold, and I doubt that they've sold a huge quantity of them through retail.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

FrozenVent posted:

We still don't know that they make a profit on each unit sold, and I doubt that they've sold a huge quantity of them through retail.
I can't imagine they're making a profit now, what with only selling like 2,500 a month.

...have the September NPD numbers come out yet?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Well you see the needs of the few are outweighed by the needs of the OUYA

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Has Ouya the company ever released any actual sales/profit/anything numbers besides Julie's bullshit?

I mean for the company itself, not their latest shill game.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

gnarlyhotep posted:

Has Ouya the company ever released any actual sales/profit/anything numbers besides Julie's bullshit?

According to official OUYA statements profits are "A Lot. Like, a Lot."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Morglon posted:

According to official OUYA statements profits are "A Lot. Like, a Lot."
Their budget is just the word 'uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh' stretched out across an entire piece of paper.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

gnarlyhotep posted:

The first month, they made claims about "running out due to higher than expected demand".

They haven't commented on anything about sales in anything since. Her recent talk at whatever UK conference appeared to just be exactly the same talking points she'd had before with almost no new information whatsoever.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
What's really funny is when you google "playstation 3 sales figures" you get this, and when you google "ouya sales figures" you get this. Guess which one has actual numbers.

Then again I'm comparing a publicly traded company to a private one, but the private one claims to be OPEN...

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

gnarlyhotep posted:

What's really funny is when you google "playstation 3 sales figures" you get this, and when you google "ouya sales figures" you get this. Guess which one has actual numbers.

Then again I'm comparing a publicly traded company to a private one, but the private one claims to be OPEN...

Talking out of your rear end is a kind of open.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

gnarlyhotep posted:

You're comparing apples to unapples. OUYA is an unconsole, so it's to be expected that it employs unmath in calculating its unsales.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

OUYA used magic to sell twice as many units anyways. The ones amazon bought as a distributor, and then the same ones again to fill the KS backers.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Pray. For. Mojo.

quote:

We've had the Ouya and the Nvidia Shield, while the GameStick and Amazon's own device are on the way soon. Now Mad Catz Interactive has staked its own claim in the rapidly-expanding microconsole market, with a release date and price for its M.O.J.O. console.

The Android OS console will release on December 10, and can now be pre-ordered for $249.99. If you're wondering about that high price tag, it's due to the device's high-end hardware -- the M.O.J.O. includes an Nvidia Tegra 4 T40S 1.8GHz Processor, 2GB of RAM, and HDMI out capabilities with full 1080p resolution.

Mad Catz is positioning its microconsole as a more hardcore way for players to bring their favorite mobile games to the living room TV, and one of its main selling points is that it's totally open to developers -- the Amazon Appstore and Google Play store will both be available directly through the console.

Notably, you're also able to plug a mouse into the console -- or you can use the controller's left analog stick to console a mouse pointer on the screen.

Although Mad Catz hasn't yet talked in-depth about it, there is mention of the console being able to play PC games as well. All signs point to the same sort of technology found in the Nvidia Shield, such that the M.O.J.O. will be able to stream PC games directly from another PC device to your TV.

There are, rather strangely, no solid details regarding this functionality. Gamasutra has contacted Mad Catz for an explanation.

Can't help but feel pricing a console that only plays Android games for the price of a Wii U is kind of a bad thing. Countdown to Ouya 2 announcement begins now. :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Goddamn that's pricey.

• Locked thread