Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Sindai posted:

Serbia what are you doing over there? :pwn:

The same thing they are doing in Genoa!

42nd Rome, etc, etc, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Africa.

We've honestly never invested in Italy at all, so it makes little sense to muck around with, thematically. Which leaves the choice between Africa and Greece. Of that, I see the choice of Africa as obvious, partly because it's the easy way, but mostly because it's the less dumb way. A wise ruler should rule by peace, whenever possible, and it seems likely to me that with inheriting Egypt on the way, we're much more legitimately tied to Africa, which would make it the route of a wise leader.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

They took 'remove kebab' a little too literally.

Italy! I want to see what happens to the Latin Empire without our intervention. The idea of the legitimate Emperor being a prisoner of his incredibly powerful vassal is pretty interesting and I want to see where it goes.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I too think we should move on Northern Italy while the Holy Roman Empire is seemingly unready to fight for it. We will have Egypt one day anyway, and with it a position to build further holdings in Africa, and even in its fractured state as the Latin Empire I feel immediately going after the last remnants of Rome would potentially be biting off more than we can chew. Finishing our late father's northern campaigns will be a good show of strength for our vassals as well as allow the new king to build experience at rule and battle close to home. Plus, if we can create a unified Kingdom of Italy it will make our power base even stronger.

On the note of Rome, I suggest we one day start considering making it kneel before us, be it through fabrication of a personal claim or raising an antipope and putting them in the Vatican. But it's just a thought for the future.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 8, 2013

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Clearly, we need to move into Northern Italy. With the peninsula fully under our control, we'll be able to recreate the glories of old Rome! Who'll need some stupid Second Rome when we have a perfectly good First one?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
If anyone has claim to being the First Rome, it's the Latin Empire, descendants of Eastern Rome. But I suppose that's being overly nitpicky when I've already cast my vote as part of the Curia Regis.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Africa because I couldn't bear to see us interfere with Serbia.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I toss my vote in for North. But try to mess with Serbia as little as possible, I want to see what they get up to.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
Go North, young man!

Van5
Sep 9, 2011
North, Italy is ours for the taking!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
North, since the Bocanegras are a blot upon the D'Hauteville sea.

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
I feel we must retake Constantinople! With Egypt's and Constantinople's wealth shall rise above even the great Alessandro,why should we fight wars of small conquest when we can take it all. We can live forever in glory! God wills it!

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
I feel we must retake Greece! With Egypt's and Constantinople's wealth shall rise above even the great Alessandro,why should we fight wars of small conquest when we can take it all. We can live forever in glory! God wills it!

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
All Hail Queen Caterina, unifier of Sicily!
I was kinda worried there for a while (though we didn't have a CB for some reason), but she did it in the end. :)

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 9, 2013

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Africa seems to be the best course. And don't mess with Serbia.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Continue the path of the Neapolitans and take all of Italy before the German Emperor reasserts his claims.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Seems pretty clear for now...

Italy: 15
Africa: 8
Latin Empire: 3

Italy is tempting, despite Roberto's zealousness and upbringing. But muslims bordering Hauteville Africa to the west has bothered me for a while and I'm concerned about the lack of progress of our incompetent cousins in Iberia. We best make sure there aren't any sharp polities lying around them.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 8, 2013

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
The important part in this is how we plan to secure our future, and the future of our Kingdom. With the wealth flowing through Alexandria it is by all means one of the most important places in the Mediterranean, but far from the only one. And our mission is to make sure that Palermo becomes the second.

Take western Greece and seize the Adriatic Sea! Cut off the trade from those pesky Venetians and let the spice flow through Sicily! Lucrum te Vult! Profit wills it!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Tempting as northern Italy might be I feel our only concern in the north is seeing the HRE crumble rather than Sicily expand. I shall therefore cast my vote for Africa, however I need to ask that expansion of our righteous faith is directed not towards the Algiers but the Nubian territories.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Plus if we aren't quick against whomever we strike down (after a mandatory trip to Alexandria) the Pope might call a crusade, though I'm not sure... does he ever call Crusades against the Maghreb before Iberia is finished?

Africa

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 9, 2013

Muskatnuss
Mar 17, 2013
Another vote for Africa.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
As near as I can tell, holy wars are called based on a few things.

Part is where the Pope (often erroneously) believes Catholicism can actually win. It needs to be an area large enough to where you can take the majority of a Kingdom level title from the target. Catholic crusades seem to favor Jerusalem if it's an available target, and I've heard they like other places, too, but anecdotally, it seems like the Pope tries to call crusades for areas that are currently catholic, albeit not with catholic rulers. (This actually seems true of all holy wars. The AI seems to put liberating its own religion above other concerns. Again, I've only played like, 4 full campaigns, so it might just be coincidence).

At any rate, I've seen the AI crusade for far flung places like Sweden, because somehow the Golden Horde gobbled it up.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

The last time a Sicilian tried to claim the Latin Empire, it resulted in three generations of chaos and Civil War, that ended with the devision of the Sicilian holdings and only now we see a certain normalization of the situation. Why would we want to repeat that?

Same goes for Africa. The Sicilian adventures in the Holy Land and Northern Africa so far have always been in the service of God or family, never a quest for personal power. What is the point of overextending, just to bring foreign people within our borders? We might as well claim Spain.

Italy on the other hand, is our destiny! There once was a Kingdom of Italy and now, with the legacy of Charlemagne fading, it is upon us to reestablish that kingdom, for the security, benefit and glory of all Italian provinces! Also, gently caress Serbia.

If our endeavor succeeds in this regard, then we might look upon Africa, the Holy Land, the Latin Empire and even Spain, but not as mere Kings of Sicily, but as rulers of all of Italy and true heirs to the Roman Empire!

Quift
May 11, 2012
Unite Italy!

Is there an empire tag for Italia? In that case unite the kingdoms of Sicily, Naples and Italy under an Empire with different D'Hautevilles, and then proceed to bring peace to all the quarreling branches of the family by subjugating them.(Or actually, by fermenting further wars by continuing to spread independent branches everywhere and see how they evolve.)

Also, much more interesting to see how several of the situations will resolve themselves. The combined latin Empire/jerusalem, the Spanish branches, the African Normans who will probably intermarry with D'Hautevilles as they are Norman Royalty, and thus get dragged into all the family quarrels.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Go north!

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
I like how the Greek Orthodox remnants gathered together into the Aegean Islands then acquired the Kingdom of Epirus title to better their legitimacy and centralization only to move on to the Kingdom (?) of Hellas in a desperate attempt to rally their people against their Latin overlords from Sicily and Bulgaria.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Let Glorious Srbjia reign forever! The future of Sicily lies in Africa!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Italy for the Italians (with strong Sicilian overlords, of course.)

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Egypt is already in the inheritance - the option is just to further expand our reach in North Africa. Unless you're voting to go to war with the King's mother.
Sounds fun to me

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Ugh. Stop voting for Italy. Why do you people want to destroy Serbia-Lombardy-Epirus? Vote for something else to keep the most interesting tag on the map together.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

To Arabia and Beyond

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Patter Song posted:

Ugh. Stop voting for Italy. Why do you people want to destroy Serbia-Lombardy-Epirus? Vote for something else to keep the most interesting tag on the map together.

Pretty Borders CB :colbert:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Is the Reconquista still stalled? If so, help out our Catalan cousins by taking some of the pressure off by crusading in Africa.

j00rBuDdY
Sep 11, 2001
Let me be your friend.
To Africa!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Patter Song posted:

Gonna have to agree with Patter Song here. Much as I'm in favor of wrecking the HRE, to Africa! All hail Sicily! All hail Srbja!

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules
Another vote for seizing Northern Italy! Unite all of italy, forget about Africa and the greek lands, who wants to spend all of their reign slapping away muslim invaders.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Why should we send Italians to die in Africa whilst their brothers are forced to stand against us in need of liberation? To Northern Italy!

ManicMarine
Oct 9, 2012
Africa

Leave Serbia alone.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Unify Italy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
It's more important to control the Mediterranean than dicking with either Emperors. Once we control the spice northern Africa, we can probably push claims on Spain. At that point, conquer Northern Italy and revive the Roman Empire!

• Locked thread