Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

Once you go to 2560 resolution, be it 1440 or 1600, there is no going back to 1080.

This about sums it up. I (now) have a 27" 1440 nesting between two 1080s and the difference is astonishing. When I move I expect I'll sell my Dells instead of taking them with me and replace them with a second 1440.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Alereon posted:

You'd have to use a comparably crappy TN panel monitor to get 120Hz, so 1440p would probably give you a better experience. Basically TN panels are fast and ugly, IPS/PLS panels are slower but have better image quality, in particular their viewing angles.

What about what Overlord are offering? Are they just not good, or do they not perform as advertised?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

GrizzlyCow posted:

What about what Overlord are offering? Are they just not good, or do they not perform as advertised?

There's no guarantee you'll be able to overclock by 1 hz, let alone to 120. Odds are you'll be able to get to at least 96, but they don't guarantee any form of results. Lots of people do get good results, but some don't. Luck of the PCB draw.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
I'm looking at rigging something together that would allow me to use my monitor's VESA mounting holes to cradle the external power supply so that it's out of sight and off my desk. I don't spend a lot of time at hardware stores, so aside from picking up some M4 screws and washers, I have no idea what I'd be looking for to accomplish something like this:

Anybody have any ideas?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Zorilla posted:

I'm looking at rigging something together that would allow me to use my monitor's VESA mounting holes to cradle the external power supply so that it's out of sight and off my desk. I don't spend a lot of time at hardware stores, so aside from picking up some M4 screws and washers, I have no idea what I'd be looking for to accomplish something like this:

Anybody have any ideas?

Wouldn't it be easiest just to velcro it?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
I was just thinking that, but the heat from the AC adapter would kill the adhesive pretty quickly.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
If you go to a Home Depot and head to the area where they have door and gate hinges, you can find a bunch of miscellaneous metal straps, angles, and brackets. No idea what they are actually called though. But, I'm pretty sure you'd either find something of the right shape or something that's close enough if you bend it a little.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

GrizzlyCow posted:

Those are 60Hz panels that can be overclocked to 120Hz. Like El Scotch said, this may not work, and a monitor that overclocks to 120Hz without artifacts on their test platform may not work or may have graphical anomalies on your system. More importantly, even if it works the panel doesn't have a fast enough response time to actually change the picture in the 8ms that's available at 120Hz, resulting in blurring. Even this would be acceptable, but the monitor uses overdriving* to achieve the quoted response time, and it's designed to work with a 60Hz signal. The overdriving won't be effective on a 60Hz signal, and could even result in much worse artifacts than are normally visible.

* Overdriving is a way to improve the pixel response time to better than the native response time of the panel. It works by telling the pixel to change more than it needs to, causing it to change faster, then stopping it when it gets to the value you actually want. For example, if you need to change a black pixel to gray, it is much faster to tell the pixel to switch to white and stop it halfway than to wait for the full transition to gray. The downside is that in reality the pixel actually overshoots to a brighter gray than you intended then settles back, which can cause visible artifacts (usually a brighter outline on dark moving objects). If you are giving a monitor with overdrive (all of them) half the time to the transitions than it expects, the response time will be much worse than you expect.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 9, 2013

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I think my 2713h that I was finally able to hook up has a broken dvi port. If it's my primary connection on my graphics card it shows the BIOS splash and goes all the way to the windows boot animation, but when it gets to the login it just turns off. My computer doesn't detect it and it's not even listed in device manager with an error. The monitor itself tells me there is no signal on the dvi port.

I do not think it is the dvi cable since that cable works just fine with my other 2 monitors, and I don't think it is the graphics card since I have the same issue when connecting it to a different computer.

I also don't think it is a software issue since I have the same problem in Ubuntu. It doesn't detect it and if it's the only monitor connected then the computer doesn't even finish booting, it just hangs. (linux only, windows just puts the monitor to sleep)

I had to buy the cable separately off Amazon. It cost about $10 but it had pretty good reviews.

Would this monitor at least work (although not at full res) if I connected a single link dvi? I also tried a hdmi to dvi that works fine and I had no luck.

I wondered if anybody had any ideas before I contact Dell and set up a return.

edit: i just tested my dvi-d cable with a multimeter. pins 8 and c5 have no connection, but i assume that is to be expected for a digital only cable since those 2 pins are analog vertical sync and analog ground, respectively.

Nondescript Van fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 9, 2013

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

El Scotch posted:

There's no guarantee you'll be able to overclock by 1 hz, let alone to 120. Odds are you'll be able to get to at least 96, but they don't guarantee any form of results. Lots of people do get good results, but some don't. Luck of the PCB draw.

Alereon posted:

Those are 60Hz panels that can be overclocked to 120Hz. Like El Scotch said, this may not work, and a monitor that overclocks to 120Hz without artifacts on their test platform may not work or may have graphical anomalies on your system. More importantly, even if it works the panel doesn't have a fast enough response time to actually change the picture in the 8ms that's available at 120Hz, resulting in blurring. Even this would be acceptable, but the monitor uses overdriving* to achieve the quoted response time, and it's designed to work with a 60Hz signal. The overdriving won't be effective on a 60Hz signal, and could even result in much worse artifacts than are normally visible.

* Overdriving is a way to improve the pixel response time to better than the native response time of the panel. It works by telling the pixel to change more than it needs to, causing it to change faster, then stopping it when it gets to the value you actually want. For example, if you need to change a black pixel to gray, it is much faster to tell the pixel to switch to white and stop it halfway than to wait for the full transition to gray. The downside is that in reality the pixel actually overshoots to a brighter gray than you intended then settles back, which can cause visible artifacts (usually a brighter outline on dark moving objects). If you are giving a monitor with overdrive (all of them) half the time to the transitions than it expects, the response time will be much worse than you expect.

Really? That's too bad. I was really hoping for a IPS with a higher refresh rate. Guess I'll just have to wait a few years for high quality panels with greater than 60Hz refresh rates.

Thanks, guys.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Zorilla posted:

Anybody have any ideas?

2x4 steel U or L brackets might work for you depending on the size of the psu, all major hardware stores carry them. They run between 50 cents and $3 depending how big they are. Other wise you might have to start hunting though shelving brackets.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

GrizzlyCow posted:

Really? That's too bad. I was really hoping for a IPS with a higher refresh rate. Guess I'll just have to wait a few years for high quality panels with greater than 60Hz refresh rates.

Thanks, guys.

Speaking of which, time to make my quarterly post:

It is the year of our lord 2013 nearing the quarter of the fourth.

Where the hell is my 120Hz IPS panel? Why do you still not exist?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Avalanche posted:

Speaking of which, time to make my quarterly post:

It is the year of our lord 2013 nearing the quarter of the fourth.

Where the hell is my 120Hz IPS panel? Why do you still not exist?

I do ask myself this every year. I want my high-resolution 120hz IPS panel with fully supported wide-gamut 10-bit color as the standard in the pipeline. Games with smooth frame-rate, beautiful color reproduction and no more awful color banding.

Since HDR deferred rendering became a standard it wouldn't even impact the game's performance anymore.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Maybe it's just really expensive or really difficult to make an IPS panel that's reliably that fast?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Thanks guys 2560x1440 it is then!

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Can someone recommend a specific model of dual monitor desk mount which will let me put both my 22 inch screens on and allow one (or both ideally) to be rotated 90 degrees as well?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Experto Crede posted:

Can someone recommend a specific model of dual monitor desk mount which will let me put both my 22 inch screens on and allow one (or both ideally) to be rotated 90 degrees as well?

You should be able to mount any monitor with VESA holes a multiple of 90 degrees since the holes are in a square. With that specific mount there's free rotation so you can just grab the monitor and spin/tilt it if you want. I've got that same mount in front of me right now and it has 3 tilt/rotation axes as well as side to side and front to back adjustment. Both of my monitors are mounted in portrait.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

Maybe it's just really expensive or really difficult to make an IPS panel that's reliably that fast?

And niche, don't forget the niche.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

There's lots of 2560x1080 monitors available.

Those are those ultrawide monitors and they still have rear end for pixel density.

I got my 3 refurb dells installed last night, and I have to say, other than the weird auto adjust they like to do between games, they are super awesome monitors. Playing 7560x1440, and keeping 45-55fps in MWO, but I had to turn everything down to lowest settings to get a decent frame rate. Sad part is, the game looks exactly the same at lowest and highest settings, :pgi: really does suck at programming.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

You should be able to mount any monitor with VESA holes a multiple of 90 degrees since the holes are in a square. With that specific mount there's free rotation so you can just grab the monitor and spin/tilt it if you want. I've got that same mount in front of me right now and it has 3 tilt/rotation axes as well as side to side and front to back adjustment. Both of my monitors are mounted in portrait.

Found that on the UK Amazon for £20. Admittedly that's a bit worrying, but for that it's worth a try (after some careful testing to be sure it's stable!)

Thanks!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

veedubfreak posted:

Those are those ultrawide monitors and they still have rear end for pixel density.
They're 96PPI versus 101PPI on a 30" 2560x1600. I doubt anyone would notice the difference unless they were trying really hard.

Experto Crede posted:

Found that on the UK Amazon for £20. Admittedly that's a bit worrying, but for that it's worth a try (after some careful testing to be sure it's stable!)
Don't worry, they're rock solid.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Ak Gara posted:

Talking about res higher than 1080p, Has anyone had any luck doing that downsample trick with the Asus vg248qe? I can't seem to get it beyond 2880x1620p@60hz. I'd love to get it to 3840x2160.

What's this trick? Pretty interested!

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Is there an IPS monitor around 24" that has really low input lag? It's for a goon who is going to watch copious amounts of anime on it as well as do a lot of hardcore gaming at 1080p. In other words, me.

e- And I did check the OP but the one that seemed perfect for me has been discontinued according to newegg.

The Ol Spicy Keychain fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 10, 2013

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Jack the Lad posted:

What's this trick? Pretty interested!

If the test fails, lower the hz to 59, if fails again try 58 etc. I'm only using automatic timings, setting them manually lets you have more success. Once a custom res has been saved, it's selectable in most game's option screens. You could also run your desktop at this res but poo poo won't be readable :v:

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Ak Gara posted:

If the test fails, lower the hz to 59, if fails again try 58 etc. I'm only using automatic timings, setting them manually lets you have more success. Once a custom res has been saved, it's selectable in most game's option screens. You could also run your desktop at this res but poo poo won't be readable :v:

Awesome. I may be being dense, but what program is that in your screenshot?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Nvidia Control Panel, so Nvidia users only I think.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Geek U.S.A. posted:

Is there an IPS monitor around 24" that has really low input lag? It's for a goon who is going to watch copious amounts of anime on it as well as do a lot of hardcore gaming at 1080p. In other words, me.

e- And I did check the OP but the one that seemed perfect for me has been discontinued according to newegg.

The favorite Dell U2412 has very low input lag.

e: It certainly has not been discontinued, but there is a U2413 which is an entirely different type of monitor you don't want.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

U2412M uses white LEDs instead of CCFL tubes, sRGB gamut (what everything on the Internet is meant for now) and a 6-bit + FRC panel (which admittedly was good enough to trick most monitor reviewers until they did ridicu-speed camera to it). Unless you're sensitive to pulse-width modulation you'll be fine. If you are you'll probably hate most LED monitors because of horrible flickering or something.

U2312HM is the U2412M, but 1080p instead of x1200. It's considerably cheaper because 1080p panels have a 10% lower chance of defects and goddamn everybody cuts glass for 1080p.

U2413 is the same size as the U2412M, Adobe RGB gamut and 8-bit + FRC like the U2410 was, and also like twice the price of the U2412M (and nearly thrice the U2312HM). Of course, you can force sRGB mode with little loss in color fidelity (because the switching is as good as the U2412M's). I don't know if PremierColor is just its backend or it actually involves RGB-LED backlighting rather than all-white, but if it does it might actually be worth its price tag to some people.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 10, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Ak Gara posted:

Nvidia Control Panel, so Nvidia users only I think.
The same feature works in the Catalyst Control Center for upscaling so I think it works for downscaling as well, you just have to be at a non-default resolution for the scaling options to become visible.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I just remembered, you also need to set this too. (perform scaling on GPU + override scaling mode)

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Factory Factory posted:

On that note, I read a lot of crazies on other forums saying they think OLEDs will be blowing them out of the water by the time people even make 120Hz IPS panels profitable. I could swear that the increasing pace of technology is making people just afraid to buy new electronics in general.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
This guy (U2713HM) is on sale at Newegg for 10% off (ends today)with free shipping. Seems like a decent deal on what looks to be a pretty great monitor. I have a couple questions though. What are the chances that I wait for say a black friday sale type thing and can get it cheaper? Also I plan on using it to hook my PS3 and PS4 up to. Will it be able to scale the 1920x1080 signal without looking like poo poo? To do the full 2560x1440 resolution will I need to use the display port, or will DVI work fine?

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

dog nougat posted:

This guy (U2713HM) is on sale at Newegg for 10% off (ends today)with free shipping. Seems like a decent deal on what looks to be a pretty great monitor. I have a couple questions though. What are the chances that I wait for say a black friday sale type thing and can get it cheaper? Also I plan on using it to hook my PS3 and PS4 up to. Will it be able to scale the 1920x1080 signal without looking like poo poo? To do the full 2560x1440 resolution will I need to use the display port, or will DVI work fine?

When I bought the U2713HM from Newegg, it was $550. Couldn't pass up on that offer.

I've tried playing PC games on 1080p. It looks okay, but you can definitely see the quality difference between that and 1440p. Using DVI is probably the best option. The box comes with all the connectors you'd need.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Ok cool. I was worried there might be weird upscaling issues...I really wanna get this thing, but I don't particularly need it...YET. It seems like it'd be prudent to wait for a better sale.

poo poo it looks like I could get it for slightly cheaper through B&H for $614 w/ free shipping. I still feel like I should hold out for a better deal.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Speaking of a U2713H, I finally got mine working. It was what I thought it was, a bad DVI port, so I bought a display link cable and it works perfectly. I still don't like having a dead dvi port so I may still exchange it but at least now I can use it.

(this is a refurb I got right from dell, so don't let this dead dvi port thing affect your decision to buy one.)

I read the OP but the calibration part doesn't mention any software based programs, only specific hardware calibrators. I may be able to borrow one from my school but in case I can't what do people recommend?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Anyone have experience with the Eizo Foris line?

I have a Dell 3008WFP and I'm considering trying out a smaller, more responsive monitor. All I do is game, and lately it's been mostly BF3 (soon to be BF4) so a low-input lag monitor is ideal. I don't care about 120 Hz and besides I want to stick with IPS monitors. If not the Eizo, maybe a smaller 23" Ultrasharp?

edit: Another appeal to having a smaller monitor is I won't have to feed so much money to my GPUs. My 580SLI is getting long in the tooth at 1600p when trying to max out effects.

Anti-Hero fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 11, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Anti-Hero posted:

Anyone have experience with the Eizo Foris line?

I have a Dell 3008WFP and I'm considering trying out a smaller, more responsive monitor. All I do is game, and lately it's been mostly BF3 (soon to be BF4) so a low-input lag monitor is ideal. I don't care about 120 Hz and besides I want to stick with IPS monitors. If not the Eizo, maybe a smaller 23" Ultrasharp?

edit: Another appeal to having a smaller monitor is I won't have to feed so much money to my GPUs. My 580SLI is getting long in the tooth at 1600p when trying to max out effects.

Well, with a 3007WFP-HC, there's no scaler so it's pretty drat responsive so all I do to avoid the GPU money pit is play everything windowed at like 1920x1200 (and it also means a far more manageable visual field for FPS games) :haw:

Maybe try that? Pretty much all I play is BF3 (and soon BF4) and I've never felt wanting for a more responsive monitor.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Dell's own 24" monitors (2412 and 2413 in game mode) have extremely low input lag. The 3014 itself has a game mode that cuts out all the image processors for extremely fast response. I just upgraded from the 3008 to the 3014, and the improvement in power use/heat output and far, far better AG coating on the screen was worth it. http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u3014.htm

That said, it has serious pixel overdrive issues which might be annoying outside of games but are generally invisible (as far as I've seen, at least) while gaming or watching movies.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I just ordered a second Dell U2312HM for my development workstation.

One problem: the new display has a noticeably cooler color temperature, despite the settings for both being set identically. It's not a big deal, but a bit annoying.

Is there anything I can do, or is this a "Welp, different production runs = different monitors" sort of situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

dog nougat posted:

It looks very good in games at 1080p be they on PC or console. The only console game I've had that doesn't look totally rad up close is GTA5, and that's because it maxes at 720p due to the limitations of the ancient hardware.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 11, 2013