Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Rallying cry is really solid once you get the hang of it. Like a lot of decks, knowing what to play and when is pretty important. It would be a lot better with some better pokeballs and at least one more Exploud.

But yeah, gently caress Meowth. Give me all of the Kangaskhans forever though.

Does anyone know how to actually change your coin? I've gotten three coins now and I can't for the life of me figure out how to change it. I see there's a coin spot when you look at a deck in the deck manager but it doesn't do anything when you click it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I can see where confusion would be useful, but Chatot doesn't seem to offer much aside from that. I think I'd rather have a deck with cards that help it get set up quickly (Stuff like Juniper, Khangaskhan or Heavy Ball) than just stall with confusion.

I don't know, maybe I'll try running a version of the deck with Chatot and see how that works.

Jibo posted:

Does anyone know how to actually change your coin? I've gotten three coins now and I can't for the life of me figure out how to change it. I see there's a coin spot when you look at a deck in the deck manager but it doesn't do anything when you click it.

When you go to save your deck there should be three tabs on the second screen for coins, deckboxes and sleeves. You can change that stuff from there.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I would loving love to know, too. I'm so tired of looking at the Arceus token.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

NeuroticLich posted:

I can see where confusion would be useful, but Chatot doesn't seem to offer much aside from that. I think I'd rather have a deck with cards that help it get set up quickly (Stuff like Juniper, Khangaskhan or Heavy Ball) than just stall with confusion.
Oh, yeah, it's garbage in constructed, but I'm just saying, it's not a completely blank card.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

vulturesrow posted:

I know it's in beta and I did actually submit a ticket. Its just a little annoying and seems like sort of a basic bug for an MMO, especially a beta version where people can already spend real money for stuff in game. Just a little light bitching is all. ;)

I give it a bit of a pass on the whole "real money" thing since the only real paywall, outside of the occasional Nintendo/Pokémon promotion and people selling their redemption codes on eBay or wherever, is buying sealed Pokémon cards themselves (and I guess Canada's goofy pay system, whatever that is). Otherwise, my biggest complaint at the moment is when the game stalls for about thirty seconds to a minute after selecting an action, even if it's against an AI opponent. Just gotta keep submitting them bug reports I guess, and hope for a better end product!

Jibo posted:

It was mentioned already, but not only coins, but card sleeves are chosen after you construct a deck, on the same screen where you name them. I'll add that to the OP since the coin thing keeps being brought up.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 9, 2013

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Goofing off against the computer with the Orange Deck is pretty fun:

Edit: Alternatively, how high can I get Conkeldurr's HP to before decking myself or getting bored:

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 9, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think you mean "before the AI decks itself".

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
So, how do you get Booster Credits now anyway? I seriously want that Victini card from Noble Victories, but have no idea how to actually get a hold of them in game.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

The Leper Colon V posted:

All while wasting Tools by going "play tool->use the tool knock-off card on yourself", using Pokemon communcation to shuffle a Pokemon into your deck and get the exact same Pokemon out, using Switch even when it doesn't make any sense to...

Man, I know the AI isn't supposed to be the draw of this game, but they could at least make it a little more sophisticated than 'if you can play a card in your hand, play it no matter what'.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Goofing off against the computer with the Orange Deck is pretty fun:

Edit: Alternatively, how high can I get Conkeldurr's HP to before decking myself or getting bored:

I really wanted to like the Orange deck, but I kept running into problems where I really needed an Energy/specific evolution, and the deck just didn't have enough supporters to get me what I needed. It feels like they should have dumped the Pokedex & Giant Cape cards for something more useful.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Emalde posted:

So, how do you get Booster Credits now anyway? I seriously want that Victini card from Noble Victories, but have no idea how to actually get a hold of them in game.
You can't get them anymore. These days, codes you get from packs get you that same pack. So if you got a Plasma Freeze code, that gets you a Plasma Freeze booster in the game. The packs you get with booster credits are still there for people with left over ones. They'll be totally phased out in December.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
You don't. They're being fazed out. You'll have to get a Noble Victories Booster redemption code if you want something from that series.

Until they add that series back in as a purchasable anyway which I hope they do.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Mercury Crusader posted:

It was mentioned already, but not only coins, but card sleeves are chosen after you construct a deck, on the same screen where you name them. I'll add that to the OP since the coin thing keeps being brought up.
Does this mean you can't use them in the Challenge League since you have premade decks? I'm still working on my booster unlocks, but if I can't use a new coin, oh well.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

The Leper Colon V posted:

Or Super Scoop Ups itself on the second turn :v:

I somehow had this happen again half way through a match earlier.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
So I'm just stuck either finding somebody willing to RMT the Victini, or seeing if they decide to grace us with the older packs in the in-game store?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Agoat posted:

My username is Agoat944 if anyone is up for a match!

I've missed you so much, Goat.

And speaking of bugs, does anyone else get random hangups during matches? It's not a huge issue, since I just have to sit and wait a few seconds, but if it's a widespread issue, then... wow. Beta and all, but still.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Emalde posted:

So I'm just stuck either finding somebody willing to RMT the Victini, or seeing if they decide to grace us with the older packs in the in-game store?

Or you can buy Redemption Codes online. Or you can go Booster hunting.

My local Walmart still has Platinum booster's lying around. Does me no good since they're not redeemable but still, I'm sure if you look around you can find some Noble Victories packs somewhere.

PhantomBowie
Sep 3, 2009

"I always had a repulsive need to be something more than human."

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I've missed you so much, Goat.

And speaking of bugs, does anyone else get random hangups during matches? It's not a huge issue, since I just have to sit and wait a few seconds, but if it's a widespread issue, then... wow. Beta and all, but still.

I've always thought those hangups were due to my extremely horrible internet connection. But it's starting to look like its possibly not caused by that.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I get those a LOT, especially in CPU matches when I am blazing through for points toward a booster.

Speaking of boosters, at some point they "fixed" the boosters, both from the daily rewards and Trainer Challenge, to be trade-locked. :sigh: It really, really sucks to be totally unable to trade free content in any way; they couldn't just allow free-for-free trades and RMT-for-RMT trades separately?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

PhantomBowie posted:

I've always thought those hangups were due to my extremely horrible internet connection. But it's starting to look like its possibly not caused by that.

Definitely not Internet. It happens when I play against the AI.

Edit:

Raitzeno posted:

Speaking of boosters, at some point they "fixed" the boosters, both from the daily rewards and Trainer Challenge, to be trade-locked. :sigh: It really, really sucks to be totally unable to trade free content in any way; they couldn't just allow free-for-free trades and RMT-for-RMT trades separately?

I think allowing free trades in any capacity would gently caress up supply and demand to the point that no one would ever really spend money. Let me try to lay this our logically:

1. Players use money to get more cards. We assume they're looking for rare or useful cards.
2. There is no guarantee that the players will get cards that are useful to them specifically, but the cards are useful to someone.
3. Players trade so that both traders get something that is more useful to them than what they were giving away.

With free stuff, you have no way to get rid of stuff that you don't want for stuff that you do want. This raises the value of free cards because anything decent can be exchanged for something better. Thus, free cards make it too easy to get useful cards, which means people are less likely to spend money in any capacity.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 9, 2013

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Man, sometimes the game just doesn't want you to win. After I got two pokemon KO'd, I had three energies on a Golett. I proceeded to do nothing but draw Stage 1 and Stage 2 evolutions for like 7 turns and couldn't do anything. I even had a Hydreigon on the field :negative:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

This is a really minor thing, but I'm kinda disappointed Nintendo didn't dig deep and pull up some arranged themes from the old pokemon trading card video game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jFzDqmt5YY
The Club Master theme was one of the better pieces of music in any of the pokemon games. Would love to be playing some online battles to that. I've been having a lot of luck with the starter fire deck, but I've only been doing the theme deck matches. I'm afraid of getting totally stomped if I switch it to unlimited. If I've learned anything so far, it's never ever underestimate a torkoal.

edit: just had a run where I ended up with an Emboar on turn 4 and a hand full of energy, spent the rest of the match headcapping every pokemon the poor dude played against me. :yayclod:

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 9, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

This is a really minor thing, but I'm kinda disappointed Nintendo didn't dig deep and pull up some arranged themes from the old pokemon trading card video game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jFzDqmt5YY
The Club Master theme was one of the better pieces of music in any of the pokemon games. Would love to be playing some online battles to that. I've been having a lot of luck with the starter fire deck, but I've only been doing the theme deck matches. I'm afraid of getting totally stomped if I switch it to unlimited.
If I've learned anything, it's never ever underestimate a torkoal.
Maybe they could bring back the AI from the GB game, too.

That's not a joke, it's actually better than what they have now. (I'd also love to face Ronald, now an adult, and just as much of a self-absorbed dickhole.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 9, 2013

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
If we're bringing back characters, Imakuni is in line well before Ronald. Even if just for his music.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

If Imakuni? comes back so must his card :colbert:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Youremother posted:

If Imakuni? comes back so must his card :colbert:
Aren't there a few Pokemon who actually benefit from being confused now?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

If there are and you still want it to be useless, make it a supporter :P

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

It actually was reprinted as a supporter pretty recently, but only in Japan.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I have a pack or two of those Imakuni? cards somewhere in real life. The ones that came with booby prize cards and stuff. Plus 'it's okay to cheat', the best trainer card.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Success! I can access the client again! Reinstalling it did the trick.

Since I'm here I might as well share an amusing AI experience I have a week back. I was dueling against the one trainer with the Golett. I could tell that they had started with the one Golett and a whole load of energy. I didn't get any energy at all for that duel at all. I kept drawing Pokemon and useless Trainers while they were drawing non-Basics and non-Golurks. It looked like an utterly hopeless situation. Then around their fifth turn they play Scoop Up and I win the game :toot:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Nahxela posted:

Does this mean you can't use them in the Challenge League since you have premade decks? I'm still working on my booster unlocks, but if I can't use a new coin, oh well.
You used to be able to change your coin in the single-player mode, but they changed that a while back for some reason :shrug:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I just realized getting the 4th star completed in the single player campaign with each trainer gives you a booster pack, that's great and all but I've completed everything to at least 3 stars and now i'm 175 gold away from my next Theme deck :smith:.

They are missing out on money by not selling Theme Decks or gold.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

The Series that's in hasn't come out yet in English. Presumably we'll be getting it at it's slated release date in November.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
The Error 500 thing was resolved - I had to change my login name because it was being used by someone else. I still appear to be SixOfSpades in-game though.

I am sort of okay with the AI being dumb because that Poison deck in the Gold League is actually super mean if she gets a good opening hand, and my victories have either been her getting mana-starved or engineering her own loss through weird trainer plays. Still, I want to unlock a deck like that for myself, status effect abuse is super cruel.

I agree with Sharkopath, I put on the gameboy trading card game soundtracks in the background while playing, and the nostalgia is unreal.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

katkillad2 posted:

I just realized getting the 4th star completed in the single player campaign with each trainer gives you a booster pack, that's great and all but I've completed everything to at least 3 stars and now i'm 175 gold away from my next Theme deck :smith:.

They are missing out on money by not selling Theme Decks or gold.

They actually do sell the decks, but you need to buy the physical deck to get it (or a deck code on eBay or whatever).

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Rhygezenguro posted:

Can anyone think of any evolved monsters that would make this useful? I just got it and don't know what to do with it aside from hit and away tactics.

Also rhygezenguro in-game but not really doing things that aren't trainer battles right now.

Little late to this but one big thing you want to look for are pokemon that have rage abilities, like Charmeleon. Being able to do damage based on damage taken is great on big hp stage 3 evolutions and it also gives you some surprise factor if you play your celebi on the same turn.

Also while it isn't a super competitive strat I'd consider running it with Ninetales since you would get access to vulpix's guaranteed burn attack which combos nicely with her hex attack.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I think allowing free trades in any capacity would gently caress up supply and demand to the point that no one would ever really spend money. Let me try to lay this our logically:

1. Players use money to get more cards. We assume they're looking for rare or useful cards.
2. There is no guarantee that the players will get cards that are useful to them specifically, but the cards are useful to someone.
3. Players trade so that both traders get something that is more useful to them than what they were giving away.

With free stuff, you have no way to get rid of stuff that you don't want for stuff that you do want. This raises the value of free cards because anything decent can be exchanged for something better. Thus, free cards make it too easy to get useful cards, which means people are less likely to spend money in any capacity.

There are a few big issues with this though. For one, the free cards are limited to a bunch from the trainer battles and after that the pittance you get in coins will rarely get you enough for packs. Two, the money people spend on real boosters for real cards isn't going to change from this beta and the vast majority of codes people use specifically for this game seem to come from ebay sellers and such who likely bought the cards for their physical value as codes sell for 50c to a dollar. If anything the small pool of free cards being trade-able might entice someone who has little money to eventually want to pay once their free pack pool runs out and they find they actually enjoy the online system. It really doesn't help that the only ways to spend money in-game are gems, which run you more for a 5card virtual pack than a marked up retail booster pack in Quebec.

I can understand where they are coming from with the idea to block trades for free cards but with the current system I don't see it doing much more than deterring folks from playing as opposed to attracting new people. I think something neat they could implement if they really liked this locked card deal would be an unlocker. pay 5 or 10 bucks, unlock all free stuff. I'm sure they'd actually get sales off that over the poor value gems have.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

If by 'rarely' you mean 'every four days'... plus the (10 card!) pack you get for five login days the day after, and you'll have five tokens left over so every ~3 months you get another five cards on top of all that?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I've gotten not one, but two Black Kyurem EX in booster packs, and no other Pokemon EX. I think the game's trying to tell me something.

Cerony posted:

Since I'm here I might as well share an amusing AI experience I have a week back. I was dueling against the one trainer with the Golett. I could tell that they had started with the one Golett and a whole load of energy. I didn't get any energy at all for that duel at all. I kept drawing Pokemon and useless Trainers while they were drawing non-Basics and non-Golurks. It looked like an utterly hopeless situation. Then around their fifth turn they play Scoop Up and I win the game :toot:
I had the AI play Scoop Up on the very first turn, with no Pokemon on the bench. Thanks for the 30 second victory, Juji. :toot:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I think everything free being untradeable is stupid, but the fact is that new accounts are frontloaded with a bunch of boosters. What's stopping anyone from starting up a shitload of free accounts and sending everything over to their main account? That's why you can't trade that stuff.

If you could guarantee every player can only open one account, I could see tradable free cards working out. Still, there should be a away to make all cards on your account tradable that's cheap enough to be reasonable but expensive enough that it's not worth doing it to multiple accounts, like a 1-time $20 fee or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Haifisch posted:

I've gotten not one, but two Black Kyurem EX in booster packs, and no other Pokemon EX. I think the game's trying to tell me something.

I had the AI play Scoop Up on the very first turn, with no Pokemon on the bench. Thanks for the 30 second victory, Juji. :toot:

That happened to me too, also with Juji. ... maybe Juji's just not very good at thinking ahead yet?

• Locked thread