Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Any chance Goeido makes it to Ozeki after this basho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

anakha posted:

Any chance Goeido makes it to Ozeki after this basho?

No, he'll need at least 11 wins next basho to be considered (although maybe 10 is enough if the association is feeling charitable)

Its an average of 10 wins over the last 3 usually, and 2 basho ago he had make kochi which pretty much tanks any chance.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
So, from watching the last day; what're the chances that Hakuhou manages to get those six more yushos? He looks unbeatable right now. That's only a year if he manages to keep up some straight wins, right? It seems pretty possible.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
I think it will happen in 2015. He is unstoppable and we will miss him when he retires.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Hakuho got roughed up but he looks pretty happy!

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Hakuho got roughed up but he looks pretty happy!

Holy poo poo it looks like he is missing an eye. Was that from Kisenosato? I think that cancels out the hairpull, if there even was one. Pretty impressive how he manhandled Harumafuji apparently with 2D vision, too.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Fryhtaning posted:

Holy poo poo it looks like he is missing an eye. Was that from Kisenosato? I think that cancels out the hairpull, if there even was one. Pretty impressive how he manhandled Harumafuji apparently with 2D vision, too.

that was definitely from kisenosato, unless he tripped carrying the cup and the handle went into his eye or something. i didn't notice any damage during the harumafuji match but kintamayama's vids are pretty low-res and he was bleeding from around the eye after kisenosato.

as far as the hairpull, there definitely wasn't one. seemed pretty obvious to me, especially on the vid with the multi-angle replays, that he was pushing down and never closed his hand on any hair.

as fun as it is to see other guys win yushos, i'm never disappointed when hakuho wins, even if it means there was less drama than there could have been. it's a treat to get to watch one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) of all time in his prime. dunno if he'll ever match taiho's 33 (taiho was slightly younger than hakuho is now when he hit 27) but i think he'll at least get close unless he gets hurt or some upstart quickly becomes his equal in skill. who knows, maybe someone like endo will become to hakuho what hakuho was to asashoryu?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

It's official, Aran has retired.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2013/10/08/sumo/russian-aran-retires-from-sumo/#.UlVpFtIw3ig

We'll miss you, you goony bastard.

On a related note, I wonder which nationalities will occupy the foreigner holes opened up by Baruto and Aran both retiring. I can't imagine Kotooshu or Kyokutenho going more than another year, either.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fryhtaning posted:

It's official, Aran has retired.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2013/10/08/sumo/russian-aran-retires-from-sumo/#.UlVpFtIw3ig

We'll miss you, you goony bastard.

On a related note, I wonder which nationalities will occupy the foreigner holes opened up by Baruto and Aran both retiring. I can't imagine Kotooshu or Kyokutenho going more than another year, either.

Well, nobody will occupy the place that Aran was using because his heya closed. Kotooshu will probably retire very soon, I think he was pushing hard to get a yusho before retiring and injured himself again.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Ranks for November released!

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
^^ Oh come on seriously!!! beaten bumping a sleeping thread...

The Kyushu banzuke is out guys!

There isn't a lot of surprises here. Endo moves up to M7 and Osunaarashi (from Egypt) debuts at M15w.
Aran is Intai at M16e.

Yokozuna watch:
Kisensato has a chance to become Yokozuna if he wins with something like a 15-0 or 14-1 record. Hakuho hasn't been unbeatable lately like he was early in the year so anything is possible here.

Ozeki watch:
If Goeido gets 11 wins again he will most likely be made Ozeki.
If Tochiozan gets 12 wins he has an outside shot of become an Ozeki.

Kotooshu the Bulgarian had a losing record last time, so if he is injured again or performs poorly he'll be demoted. This basho gives him 7 straight years of being an Ozeki, so he'd probably retire if that were to happen.

In other news, Takanoyama fell out of Juryo. With Baruto and Aran now gone, Kotooshu unlikely to stay around much longer, and all 3 wrestlers up for major promotion being Japanese, the foreign 'influence' on the sport has sort of hit a lull for now. I'm sure a new crop will be along shortly...

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
Expect Hakuho to come out strong for this basho. He has won this one 5 or 6 years in a row.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
As with all bashos, I'll be hoping for more staredowns instigated by big dumb Goeido where he gets the poo poo kicked out of him right after.

Also Shohozan being a jerk and bullying folks that outweigh him by a lot

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Kikkoman posted:

As with all bashos, I'll be hoping for more staredowns instigated by big dumb Goeido where he gets the poo poo kicked out of him right after.

Also Shohozan being a jerk and bullying folks that outweigh him by a lot

With all the recent changes and shakeups in the banzuke, there will be nothing more refreshing than the fact that we can count on Goeido and Napoleon being goony goons for 15 days in our lives.

FYI I have updated the OP to fix all the links that got broken by the new version of the official website, to clarify a few things, and to readjust the top wrestler section now that Baruto has retired (including his highlight video). Now all of you have an easy place to go to find a video of 350lb fat men being lifted and repositioned by the human crane.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Day 1 Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOemWAitCyc

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Whole lotta slippiotoshis today - wonder if the sand was packed tight enough.

Oof, two ozekis down already.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
The short scouting reports at the start were nice, especially for someone (spoiler: me) whose only sumo is this.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The audio was really nice this time.

Endouu~ Endouu~ Endouu ganbarre~

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Uncle Jam posted:

Endouu~ Endouu~ Endouu ganbarre~

Yeah, I found that to be really cute :3:

I have a feeling we're going to see Osuunarashi get flipped a whole lot this basho. He's definitely strong enough to match up with anyone but he's got a lot to learn

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Awesome start to the basho. I consider myself a veteran at this point and I still enjoyed Kintamayama's intros a lot. I don't mind if he slows down the videos a bit so we can see a little more of the buildup, either.

That was a thunderous tachi-ai from Harumafuji, wow. Almost killed himself in the process.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Day 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKGyxG5kDes

I hope Kotooshu keeps winning, don't want to see him get demoted/retire.

Roy Gato III
Jun 2, 2013

dupersaurus posted:

The short scouting reports at the start were nice, especially for someone (spoiler: me) whose only sumo is this.

Agreed! I kind of wish he'd leave them on throughout the bashos as they would really help with distinguishing the different rikishis.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Day 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLMuGzPHweE

Doesn't look good for Kotooshu, looks like he was in a lot of pain. In Makushita news, Takanoyama is 1-1 with a loss on day 3.

Could someone explain to me there difference between a henka and a hatakikomi (as seen in the Takayasu/Takekaze bout)? Looks the same to me.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Diplomat posted:

Day 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLMuGzPHweE

Doesn't look good for Kotooshu, looks like he was in a lot of pain. In Makushita news, Takanoyama is 1-1 with a loss on day 3.

Could someone explain to me there difference between a henka and a hatakikomi (as seen in the Takayasu/Takekaze bout)? Looks the same to me.

A henka is not an official kimarite (finishing move) while a hatakikomi is an official kimarite for slapping down an opponent's shoulder, back, or arm so that they touch the dohyo. A henka just refers to the sidestep at the tachi-ai, but it isn't the move that actually finishes the opponent. You could henka and then shove them out from behind (okuridashi), or henka and do a leg trip, and so on. Similarly, a hatakikomi isn't necessarily the end result of a henka. It's an easy finishing move if you have your opponent off balance or extended too horizontally.

So disheartening to see so many injuries and wrestlers trying to wrestle with nagging injuries. I think you can pretty much bet the farm on one of the two yokozunae winning this one already.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Diplomat posted:

hatakikomi is usually the kimarite (winning technique) when a henka is used. it can also be achieved without a henka - it simply means slapping your opponent's back so he goes down to the doyho, whether it's done in the process of a sidestep or not. henka is simply the sidestepping gesture and as it doesn't directly cause the opponent to hit the dohyo it's not a kimarite. if there's no contact at all made in the process of the henka and the opponent just flies forward and falls it's a different kimarite, i can't remember which one off the top of my head. not hatakikomi though.

e: beaten. dammit

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

a false posted:

if there's no contact at all made in the process of the henka and the opponent just flies forward and falls it's a different kimarite, i can't remember which one off the top of my head. not hatakikomi though.

hikiotoshi? or as Kintamayama likes to call it, "slippiotoshi"?

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Thank you both for the explanations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Ozekis dropping like flies today. At least Harumafuji looks like his old bulldozer self again.

What's the record for most number of injury withdrawals in one basho?

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
With the way so many top guys are banged up, I could easily see this ending with two unbeaten Yokozunas duking it out on day 15. A boy can dream...

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Just saw an update on FB that Kotooshu's arm was in a sling and that they will decide if he is kyujo tomorrow. I think we're down to 3 Ozeki, 2 if Kotoshogiku isn't able to recover for the next tournament.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
RIP Kotooshu. You had a good sumo career.

Its looking good for Goeido so far, promotion to Ozeki a real possibility now.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Kikkoman posted:

With the way so many top guys are banged up, I could easily see this ending with two unbeaten Yokozunas duking it out on day 15. A boy can dream...

Hakuho wins, of course

Day 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnVnIMWWLJA

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Masunoyama undefeated!How can you not wanna see him do well?!

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
RIP kotooshu, can't really see him continuing after this basho. don't think he would ever be able to regain ozeki and it's pretty incredible he clung to it after being kadoban so many times. i was never his hugest fan but he was a presence.

if he retires, aoiyama will be the only remaining european in makuuchi. wow.

meanwhile, goeido is only 7 wins from locking up an ozeki promotion. i'm pulling for him, hopefully if he makes the rank he can perform solidly there.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Old video got pulled, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2OtsyrO4Kg.

As for most withdrawals in a tournament, the January 1950 basho had 10 out of 52 pull out. For a more contemporary 40ish rikishi banzuke, July 2002 and July 2005 stand out with 8.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY2D4gih2LU.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Hakuho makes it looks so easy, he doesn't even look like he's trying sometimes.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
How much interaction do sumo of different stables have? Mainly the foreigners.

I guess it's part of the sport, but it's still a little strange to me that most of the time nobody will offer their opponent a hand up after knocking them on their rear end, except the non-Japanese.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Day 6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvCkxxPp1qw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
This basho is going well so far for the sumo I like except Shohouzan. I hope my boy Masunoyama can bounce back from that loss today.