Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

It's a long workaround for something that is highly unnecessary. I shouldn't need to have a helicopter to rob stores just for fear of dying.

I shouldn't need to go to a private session to avoid losing 6k in 30 minutes.

You are bad at this game. Maybe once you get better you wont die every time you see another player/cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

RCarr posted:

You are bad at this game. Maybe once you get better you wont die every time you see another player/cop.

You sure seem to be spending a whole lot of time and energy trying to convince people that [being bothered about something that doesn't bother you personally] is dumb and a waste of time and energy.

Good luck in your quest!

I find the death penalty at odds with the "Screw around and have fun" nature of the online mode, so I would prefer if it worked differently.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Before I drop 1.75 million on a Buzzard, can anyone actually confirm where purchased helicopters spawn and that they respawn infinitely? It's a big chunk of change to drop without that knowledge, and someone must have tried to buy a helicopter by now. Thanks folks.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
What I don't understand is why you don't just drop all the money you're carrying instead of losing 2k to the hospital. That way it encourages you to bank, and you can get rewarded for ambushing people who just got paid. I can kill a pubbies for 100 dollars but the risk of losing 2k to do it is so not worth it, especially if I'm saving for an apartment or something.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

RCarr posted:

Congratulations you are better at the videogame than he is, but somehow you still haven't explained what purpose a death penalty in freemode (the mode where you are supposed to run around like a retard blowing things up and ruining each others' fun) serves

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Rakthar posted:

You sure seem to be spending a whole lot of time and energy trying to convince people that [being bothered about something that doesn't bother you personally] is dumb and a waste of time and energy.

Good luck in your quest!

Would you say it's a similar amount of time as the people trying to convince me that they this game is too hard for them?

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Congratulations you are better at the videogame than he is, but somehow you still haven't explained what purpose a death penalty in freemode (the mode where you are supposed to run around like a retard blowing things up and ruining each others' fun) serves

It's part of the game. Suck it up and deal with it like every single other person who plays this game. You could have made $2k back in the time it took to cry about losing $2k on an online message board. Jesus.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

blackguy32 posted:

You can have fun in this game as long as you do A) B) C) and D).

It's a long workaround for something that is highly unnecessary. I shouldn't need to have a helicopter to rob stores just for fear of dying.

You should start in a private session to do missions and the like, because freeroam loads much faster when it is only you (or your 4 man party) populating it, besides the freedom from pubbies.

Jump into public freeroam for zany hijinks.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

JAssassin posted:

What I don't understand is why you don't just drop all the money you're carrying instead of losing 2k to the hospital. That way it encourages you to bank, and you can get rewarded for ambushing people who just got paid. I can kill a pubbies for 100 dollars but the risk of losing 2k to do it is so not worth it, especially if I'm saving for an apartment or something.

You lose $2000 to a hospital out of your bank. That's the problem. Has nothing to do with cash you're carrying.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

RCarr posted:

Would you say it's a similar amount of time as the people trying to convince me that they this game is too hard for them?

No, people who disagree with you are simply articulating their experiences with the online portion game and whether they found the death mechanics enjoyable or not.

You are arguing with them and telling them that their opinions are wrong. And you have made a lot of posts to that effect! This is generally a losing proposition.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Slim Killington posted:

You lose $2000 to a hospital out of your bank. That's the problem. Has nothing to do with cash you're carrying.

I said that was the problem and proposed an alternate solution of losing the money you're carrying instead. Sorry if that wasn't clear, I'm on my phone.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

RCarr posted:

It's part of the game.

But why

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
OH, I get what you meant now.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

BECAUSE

Alternatively: The company that spent $250 million dollars creating the game said so. :dealwithit:

redcandle
Dec 27, 2012
I put a wheelie bar on my Sabre but apparently it's just for show and I can perform no wheelies.

I am very sad.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Slim Killington posted:

OH, I get what you meant now.

Yeah it was clumsily worded. My mistake.

Here's another question: wasn't there supposed to be a cops and crooks free roam? Or is that getting patched in later? I'd play the poo poo out of that.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Like I said a week or so ago, Rockstar is getting insane with their mixed signals.

They promote the sociopathic go-out-and-kill gameplay model, but penalize you for one specific type of it that is incredibly difficult to discern if you're actually doing it or not.
They promote the idea of crews and teams working together, but are now taking away the main incentive to work together with a crew by removing the ability to replay missions with them. They also gently caress up the ability to stay with a crew/group when you're now stuck going back to Free Roam mode predictably.

Keep in mind, too, that missions only really start to get even *interesting* when you've leveled up considerably, which, without a *reliable* way to do that, has to be preceded but a LOT of uninteresting grinding that now takes WAY too long and, due to what a pain in the rear end grouping up is now (and not just due to my butt poo poo sucking, but from the terrible matchmaking and menu systems) that you're stuck playing one mission at a time, means you have to do a LOT of very, very un-fun things before you can get to the better missions.

But not everyone has fun with missions so why complain, just enjoy fuckin' around in free-roam, right? Auto-aiming head shots on people in high-speed vehicles is perfectly legit, but blowing up the car (which takes a bit more effort in many cases, since you have to toss the sticky or grenade just right) is being a 'bad sport' and you'll be punished for it. You'll also be stuck getting killed over and over by the people who *are* doing missions and having fun because they have better weapons and access to better vehicles, unless you become such a bad sport that the only other people you play with are other bad sports - at which point, you can pretty much throw any modicum of progress in the game out the window.

And this is all because Rockstar has no real sense of what they want online to be. Is it a gently caress-around sandbox? Is it a mission-based instanced MMO? Right now, it sucks at being both based entirely on artificial limitations they've imposed. I get that they plan to add more later, but it's hard to have much faith that it will be fun/accessible when the can't even get the basics right.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

RCarr posted:

Yes, because you can tell how good I am at the game because of what I post on the forums. You are bad at discussing things on the internet.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Rapdawg posted:

Any second person want to confirm that you get the Special Edition weapons Online? If so I may return my game and bump it up a little bit just because I want my god damned Pistol .50 and Hammer.

Yes you do. I have them. The bullpup shotgun and .50 are pretty solid boosts in the beginning. At 26 I'm still using them both at times.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

The bounty mechanic would be pointless without it, for one. Instead of the tension of trying to escape other players wanting to kill you, you'd probably just let whatever friend you're rolling with cap you because it would mean more money for them and no skin off your back.

The other reason is because the whining is funny.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Yes, because you can tell how good I am at the game because of what I post on the forums. You are bad at discussing things on the internet.

I just assume anyone crying about losing $2000 is terrible at this game. Seems like a safe bet.

Hatbox Ghost posted:

The other reason is because the whining is funny.

Vicious Fishes
Mar 20, 2008

No one drinks MY juice

No Mods No Masters posted:

Before I drop 1.75 million on a Buzzard, can anyone actually confirm where purchased helicopters spawn and that they respawn infinitely? It's a big chunk of change to drop without that knowledge, and someone must have tried to buy a helicopter by now. Thanks folks.

You call up Pegasus and pay $1000. They will deliver it to the closest accessible helipad. If it blows up it costs another $1000. The whole process takes about 30 seconds.

e: This is the same process for the tank, any helicopter/airplane (these spawn at the airport obviously) and boat.

Woodburger
Dec 5, 2004

...Like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields, I wait for the dawn.
So I keep trying to join other crew members online for 360 and keep getting a "Other players have kicked you" message. If anyone wants to do missions, races, kill pubbies or whatever, hit me up.

Woodburger fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 17, 2013

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
Has anyone tried getting around the free roam medical costs? Stock up on ammo, etc first, empty your bank and have a friend hang on to it while you mess around. What's the hospital gonna do, garnish your wages?

If the bank wasn't shared, you could drop your money, transfer to a friend, then log in as slot 2 and bank it.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

EDIT: I can't say what effect Stealth has for certain, but I think it obviously stands to reason that that "noise bubble" you make when you run around shrinks and eventually disappears as it goes up. There's not a lot of ways/situations to use that, though, because 90% of the time you're outnumbered 4:1 and don't wanna be anywhere near melee range because you'll die instantly after knocking a guy or two out.

Stealth makes a big difference in deathmatch, your icon goes grey and the enemies can't see you, then you strike

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

the jmile posted:

You call up Pegasus and pay $1000. They will deliver it to the closest accessible helipad. If it blows up it costs another $1000. The whole process takes about 30 seconds.

e: This is the same process for the tank, any helicopter/airplane (these spawn at the airport obviously) and boat.

Thanks!

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

the jmile posted:

Before you go dropping 1.75 million on one, consider that around rank 50 I'm getting a free Buzzard spawn at the sandy shores airfield every time.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

redcandle posted:

I put a wheelie bar on my Sabre but apparently it's just for show and I can perform no wheelies.

I am very sad.

Wheelie bars do the opposite of what you think they do, they're supposed to prevent your front wheel from leaving the ground.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
You should stop whining about the money loss, if you ask me it should be 10k or at least 5k like in single player.

There are a bunch of terrible players in free roam and maybe if they lost a lot of money for dying after they destroyed your car when you weren't looking or just ambush you when you get out of stores they will be smarter with their schemes. As it is now, nobody (except the cry babies here it seems) cares about dying so bounties and hit squads are useless because it's pretty expensive to do and they will only lose 2k and 30 seconds.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

LISTEN BRO. YOU ARE TELLING PEOPLE THEIR OPINIONS ARE WRONG AND THAT HURTS THEIR FEELINGS! STOP DOING THAT AND TELL THEM THEY ARE RIGHT!

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

HiriseSoftware posted:

Aw yeah, finally scored a Sheriff SUV (which I had painted, tracked, and insured) after only two tries and seeing one ripe for the taking after my rampage in Sandy Shores.

It's too bad the black-on-white number on the top still appears (#32 in this case) but I'll deal.

Had to copy you. Chrome with bullet proof tires. Hope they don't delete it anytime soon.

callmeicarus
Sep 26, 2003

Garden gnomes are God's unwanted children.
Yams Fan

ijyt posted:

Pre-emptive thanks to synthetik and gestalt (whoever you are here) for helping out. (And apologies to the goon who I scared out of my car with my terrible driving).

fake edit:

IN THE WORST loving MISSION EVER.

Hey, I know this was pages ago, but I think this was me! After I had to create a new character for the 3rd time and was only level 4 or so. Sorry I didn't help out much, what with my crappy pistol.

I had just been mercilessly gunned down by pubbies after that stupid initial 'Get the Drugs!' mission and was a little gun shy. When I saw you were driving the Goon Mobile off a cliff, I thought you aimed to murder us and bailed. Then I saw you guys were just hanging out at the beach, and it warmed the cockles of my goon heart. :shobon:

If anyone wants to add me, PSN ID is kmcgo.

Would definitely like to hang with fellow goons since missions with non-goons seem to be filled pubbies shouting into the mic, "I'm totally going to rape your rear end," and, "Get out of my face, bro!"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sh4 posted:

You should stop whining about the money loss, if you ask me it should be 10k or at least 5k like in single player.

There are a bunch of terrible players in free roam and maybe if they lost a lot of money for dying after they destroyed your car when you weren't looking or just ambush you when you get out of stores they will be smarter with their schemes. As it is now, nobody (except the cry babies here it seems) cares about dying so bounties and hit squads are useless because it's pretty expensive to do and they will only lose 2k and 30 seconds.

This is so dumb.
It wouldn't discourage anything, it's not hard to die, it's not hard to kill someone by mistake, and if you're looking to grief people, it's undoing several hours of work when you kill someone.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm in AWCO/MTNC and did the "join crew members" and the game dropped me in with a goon in the 1009. It knows :stare:

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Mitt Romney posted:

Had to copy you. Chrome with bullet proof tires. Hope they don't delete it anytime soon.

You can take cop cars to Los Santos Custom?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Aurain posted:

It wouldn't discourage anything, it's not hard to die, it's not hard to kill someone by mistake, and if you're looking to grief people, it's undoing several hours of work when you kill someone.

Which is what makes their tears so much tastier :getin:

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Aurain posted:

This is so dumb.
It wouldn't discourage anything, it's not hard to die, it's not hard to kill someone by mistake, and if you're looking to grief people, it's undoing several hours of work.

He's right though. Mercenaries cost $7500 and the most the person loses when they die is 2K which most pubbies have already learned is petty change

redcandle
Dec 27, 2012

Cactrot posted:

Wheelie bars do the opposite of what you think they do, they're supposed to prevent your front wheel from leaving the ground.

Really? Then it should be called a buzzkill bar.

At least now I know!

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The hospital fees also make the idea of buying a GTA cash card pretty unappealing. Why would I want to spend real dollars for GTA dollars that can disappear because I'm bad at the game?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

TremorX posted:

Like I said a week or so ago, Rockstar is getting insane with their mixed signals.

They promote the sociopathic go-out-and-kill gameplay model, but penalize you for one specific type of it that is incredibly difficult to discern if you're actually doing it or not.
They promote the idea of crews and teams working together, but are now taking away the main incentive to work together with a crew by removing the ability to replay missions with them. They also gently caress up the ability to stay with a crew/group when you're now stuck going back to Free Roam mode predictably.

Keep in mind, too, that missions only really start to get even *interesting* when you've leveled up considerably, which, without a *reliable* way to do that, has to be preceded but a LOT of uninteresting grinding that now takes WAY too long and, due to what a pain in the rear end grouping up is now (and not just due to my butt poo poo sucking, but from the terrible matchmaking and menu systems) that you're stuck playing one mission at a time, means you have to do a LOT of very, very un-fun things before you can get to the better missions.

But not everyone has fun with missions so why complain, just enjoy fuckin' around in free-roam, right? Auto-aiming head shots on people in high-speed vehicles is perfectly legit, but blowing up the car (which takes a bit more effort in many cases, since you have to toss the sticky or grenade just right) is being a 'bad sport' and you'll be punished for it. You'll also be stuck getting killed over and over by the people who *are* doing missions and having fun because they have better weapons and access to better vehicles, unless you become such a bad sport that the only other people you play with are other bad sports - at which point, you can pretty much throw any modicum of progress in the game out the window.

And this is all because Rockstar has no real sense of what they want online to be. Is it a gently caress-around sandbox? Is it a mission-based instanced MMO? Right now, it sucks at being both based entirely on artificial limitations they've imposed. I get that they plan to add more later, but it's hard to have much faith that it will be fun/accessible when the can't even get the basics right.

I have not once blown up a car yet while killing people but please continue with the hyperbole.

I have a radical thought: STOP GRINDING MISSIONS. Just play whatever, do free roam, group up with your crew, start a war with a rival crew, climb mountains with your friends, whatever. Everything gives you xp anyway. People grinding for xp for useless houses are really missing the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

poo poo, I got a Bad Sport warning for blowing up 2 personal cars at once. The first two I've ever destroyed. I don't wanna be dunced :ohdear:

• Locked thread