Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Just got my invite like a minute ago, in the process of downloading the client!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I'll keep checking, now it's time to make sure that everything charged correctly. (it did)

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Could someone share the link for those of us that are still waiting for our invite?

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Do you need the invite to start downloading the client?

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Yeah, I'm still waiting on my email to arrive but I'd like to get the client started if possible. I just doublechecked that my Grand King did go through and I was successfully charged...so I'm just hoping it's delayed a touch.

Music For Cats
May 30, 2011

I thought I had gotten the invite email, but no, it was the project update. :negative:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Got my email. Sadly can't make use of it for a few hours when I get home. On my phone so no link sorry.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

katkillad2 posted:

This whole alpha scenario makes me understand why more companies don't set dates for these kinds of things and why you don't explain your processes to the public. I think trying to be more open and transparent is admirable, but I don't think it's doing them any favors. I feel bad for Blinkman and anyone else at Cryptozoic who has to read their forums because it's a cesspit.

Individually, I'm someone who doesn't really like to show anything until it's super polished because I want to pull people into a product with how awesome it is, make people want to be a part of something by how great the experience is. I think that's super important for players who are unfamiliar with a game. But, in this case, Kickstarter backers have paid for something and want the alpha, so we'll see if that's what people want or what people just think they want.

As for community behavior, it's really nice that the SA community is full of reasonable people where this isn't their first rodeo, so to speak. When there's criticism, it can be done in a thoughtful way. And there are always going to be people who just want to tee-off because they're unhappy with their life and channeling that frustration through the game. Luckily, with a digital game, we have plenty of measurables that we can combine with general sentiment to sift out community feedback. I think that there are plenty of people who like the way I communicate-- I believe I interact with the community in a very matter-of-fact, honest way whenever it's time to be serious-- and that can help with the tone, give the community a place to start when it decides to self-police. As for the HEX community, we're going to implement the standard community tools like upvoting in our web revamp and hopefully that helps.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Still no email, I hope they didn't forget about paypal grand kings. I got burned before on a kickstarter that basically ignored the paypal backers.
Edit: offical twitter confirms paypal backers too, so just a waiting game now :)

mightygerm fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 9, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Just got the email. Don't want to post the link without express word that that's kosher since it might stress the gently caress out of their servers if half the internet tries to download the installer despite not having an access key.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 9, 2013

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Just got mine! :dance: :pcgaming:

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

N/a

Bobbin Threadbear fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 10, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So is it keep names or surnames or what?

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I just got my email, so yay! Downloading now.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Welp time for a stress test on the download, seeing as the link is getting around now.

edit: Friendly reminder that we have an IRC channel up at #hex on irc.synirc.net

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Either I don't know how to setup OBS or I'll never be able to stream, I only have .50Mbps upload so it's probably not worth bothering. It was saying I was dropping 70% of the frames :(.

Edit: VVVV Yep, fixed.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 9, 2013

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Either you're mistaking kbps for mpbs or you're on dialup with a modem manufactured in the 70's. Either way, you're probably not streaming. IIRC 3mbps is a comfortable minimum upload for a decent quality stream.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Got my invite, but I also just started work :argh: At least I can pop home during lunch to start the client download

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Grim posted:

Got my invite, but I also just started work :argh: At least I can pop home during lunch to start the client download

This is why I love being management. Hex invite came in? "Hey guys, I'm going out for a bit -" so that I can start patching Hex to play when I get home in an hour. :getin:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
There are a handful of streamers on twitch all downloading. The guy in the top spot with 180 or so viewers isn't terrible. He's going through random files with notepad. :swoon:

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

PJOmega posted:

When did L5R get champion-esque units? Is the author trying to refer to Strongholds?

I imagine he means strongholds because nothing else exceeeept maybe Senseis from ages ago meets that description.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Hex: Hours of Download

I'm not that excited about alpha. Still going to login as soon as the download finishes.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Downloading at the slowest speed ever. By the time it finishes on my laptop, I'll be leaving to go home and download on my desktop :suicide:

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Yeah, unfortunately everyone's downloading it right now. Ah well.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Yea. Started the download, went back to work, came home a couple hours later... Still going hard. :suicide:

rocode
Oct 28, 2011

Meddle not with Mother Nature, lest you face her wrath.

If only there was technology out there to help the propagation of a set of binary files by using peer to peer piece transfers and super-seeding algorithms, all without paying for expensive file servers.

Why yes I have been downloading for the last three hours and still hovering around 15%, how did you know?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Alternatively, not have a completely public link. The people who can actually get into the alpha tonight will be delayed by the thousands of people who are simply pre-loading for days down the road.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I agree that having public downloading was not the best plan. I know that they kind of rushed this out there so people could get in, I hope this doesn't hurt the overall image. I'm afraid that the people who are most vocal will get in, realize it's an alpha and go "I waited hours for THAT?"

I'm trying to think of ways to speed this up...can we just put the files on your computer? If so, maybe we can set up a file system to share out the files, but would that be :filez:?

guppiehaus
Sep 13, 2010
Will any goons be streaming? I'd like to watch people play and get a feel for the game while I thumb my own rear end waiting for my invite.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Captain Capitalism posted:

I agree that having public downloading was not the best plan. I know that they kind of rushed this out there so people could get in, I hope this doesn't hurt the overall image. I'm afraid that the people who are most vocal will get in, realize it's an alpha and go "I waited hours for THAT?"

I'm trying to think of ways to speed this up...can we just put the files on your computer? If so, maybe we can set up a file system to share out the files, but would that be :filez:?
Yep. I'm just waiting for the masses to start complaining about crashes/bugs because they expect a polished game they can play right now "BECAUSE I SPENT MONEY IT" without realizing that it's actually an alpha product we are testing and that we received such a privilege by investing in this. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a bunch of spergs get mad at unfinished product that is advertised as unfinished product.

Also no idea, but I'm up to 70% after 3 hours, so... Yay? :shrug:

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Would it be possible for someone with more knowledge than me to package up the game and create the torrent for it?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Slifter posted:

Would it be possible for someone with more knowledge than me to package up the game and create the torrent for it?
I'm at 64%. When it finishes I will be loading it onto a few other computers. I'll post a step by step explanation of how once I have it and figure that out. It should be straight forward.

That should help whoever wants to host a torrent. I can't seed.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 10, 2013

Hauki
May 11, 2010

guppiehaus posted:

Will any goons be streaming? I'd like to watch people play and get a feel for the game while I thumb my own rear end waiting for my invite.
I'm planning on it, but so far I've only made it to 0.15% complete. The client's been crashing constantly for me and seems to restart the download every time.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

At this point I think I'm just going to have to leave my computer downloading overnight and hope that it's done by tomorrow evening. Then probably do the whole thing again since most of the files will be corrupted. Admittedly CZE dropped the ball here by not requiring a password to get access, but I'm still wishing there was some way to maim the preloaders over the internet.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is "action" in this game equivalent to "spell" in mtg?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

The Moon Monster posted:

Is "action" in this game equivalent to "spell" in mtg?

Basic Action is like Sorcery, Quick Action is like Instant. Creatures are all the same.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Merauder posted:

Basic Action is like Sorcery, Quick Action is like Instant. Creatures are all the same.

Archmage Wrenlocke just says "when you play an action". I guess that could either mean "Quick and Basic Actions", or "anything card but Energies".

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Yeah, sorry guys, looks like I won't be able to stream tonight. Only at 30% after a few hours. Oh well. Tomorrow!

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
One guy streaming and apparently only 4-20 people on the server right now. Interesting Blood/Sapphire deck.

Any MTG people that are knowledgeable about deck numbers want to go over the strategy of using a card that adds 2+ cards a turn to your deck, completely screwing with your deck draws? Seems like it'd be a really bad card in magic(unless said cards it adds are really loving good), and probably a bad card in Hex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Korak posted:

One guy streaming and apparently only 4-20 people on the server right now. Interesting Blood/Sapphire deck.

Any MTG people that are knowledgeable about deck numbers want to go over the strategy of using a card that adds 2+ cards a turn to your deck, completely screwing with your deck draws? Seems like it'd be a really bad card in magic(unless said cards it adds are really loving good), and probably a bad card in Hex.

It depends on the card. The Ancestor Spirits only cost 1 and give you a card draw when played, so you aren't losing out on the card you would have drawn without it.

• Locked thread