Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

McSpanky posted:

The day that the number sign becomes formally recognized as "hashtag" in the US, I'll see myself off the planet.

Yes, this is :corsair: as gently caress, #getoffmylawn

To be fair, it's better than calling it the pound sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

McSpanky posted:

The day that the number sign becomes formally recognized as "hashtag" in the US, I'll see myself off the planet.

Yes, this is :corsair: as gently caress, #getoffmylawn

You're done then because voice-conferencing services in the US now say "hit the pound or hashtag button"

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

I can almost guarantee that the term pound sign will be dropped completely for hashtag. The times, they are a changin.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

piratepilates posted:

Being on the sides of buildings isn't so bad, you know what is bad?

Album titles themselves being hashtags. Want to say how much you enjoyed the new Will.i.am album? (please pretend someone could like it) Just go on twitter and say the name of it and it's automatically hashtagged for nice marketing purposes.

Also one of many reasons I can't loving stand Robin Thicke.

piratepilates posted:

Well it's not like it's really used for much else, and it's also commonly called a hash symbol anyway so it eventually being called a hashtag when it's pretty much always used for hashtags wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

I never heard it referred to as that before Twitter. Pound sign, number sign, octothorpe, but never a hash symbol.
loving Twitter.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

raditts posted:

I never heard it referred to as that before Twitter. Pound sign, number sign, octothorpe, but never a hash symbol.
loving Twitter.

quote:

Number sign is a name for the symbol #, which is used for a variety of purposes, including the designation of a number (for example, "#1" stands for "number one"). The symbol is defined in Unicode as U+0023 # number sign (HTML: # as in ASCII).
Outside of North America, the symbol is called hash and the corresponding telephone key is called the hash key. In American and Canadian English, the symbol is usually called the pound sign (outside the US, this term often describes instead the British currency symbol "£"), and the telephone key is called the pound key.[1]

In the United Kingdom and Ireland, the symbol is most often called the hash. It is never used to denote pounds weight (lb is commonly used for this) or pounds sterling (where "£" is used). It is never called the "pound sign", because that term is understood to mean the currency symbol "£", for pound sterling or (formerly) Irish pound.

I don't quite know how I know it as a hash symbol or why a hashtag is named after the British name for it but it was definitely a thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So, uh, apparently someone at Covergirl didn't exactly do any research into The Hunger Games seeing as they've debuted the "Capitol Collection." You know, based on the decadent evil society that enables mass murder.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

piratepilates posted:

I don't quite know how I know it as a hash symbol or why a hashtag is named after the British name for it but it was definitely a thing.

I'd imagine it comes from some programming language where # does something with hash functions?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Seems like there is always at least one commercial that irritates me in particular when I'm watching hockey.

Right now it's the mighty wing commercial. It's pretty obvious they are pandering to the youth demographics with LOOK FOOTBALL PLAYERS LOOK LOOK. It's all so very gauche.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

muscles like this? posted:

So, uh, apparently someone at Covergirl didn't exactly do any research into The Hunger Games seeing as they've debuted the "Capitol Collection." You know, based on the decadent evil society that enables mass murder.

They did it last movie too. But really, what kind of products ARE you going to tie to that movie? Makeup is kind of the perfect tie in.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tupping Liberty posted:

They did it last movie too. But really, what kind of products ARE you going to tie to that movie?

Survival gear and archery equipment?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

McSpanky posted:

Baked goods?

e: A Lenny Kravitz comeback album?

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

McSpanky posted:

NERF has a crossbow marketed towards girls.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

raditts posted:

Don't mean to derail this, but how the hell did this guy get to be so..relevant. He's like Justin Timberlake if you removed any sort of charisma from Justin Timberlake.

Also, his number 1 hit song was godawful, about rape, and kept Daft Punk from reaching number 1 on the hot 100 this summer. (something they definitely should have had)

Can I blame the "beats" commercial? I think without that the guy is mowing my neighbors lawn.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Because he is Alan Thicke's son, and Kirk Cameron is his TV son, I can't decide whether he's a worse TV dad or real dad. They're like opposite parallel universe extremes of horrible.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

computer parts posted:

To be fair, it's better than calling it the pound sign.

I will fight you irl about this.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

Don't mean to derail this, but how the hell did this guy get to be so..relevant. He's like Justin Timberlake if you removed any sort of charisma from Justin Timberlake.

Also, his number 1 hit song was godawful, about rape, and kept Daft Punk from reaching number 1 on the hot 100 this summer. (something they definitely should have had)

Can I blame the "beats" commercial? I think without that the guy is mowing my neighbors lawn.

He had a music video where he paid some ladies to parade around topless and shake their titties and write notes exaggerating the size of his dick, that's pretty much it. It certainly didn't have anything to do with the song being any good, and he's been around for a good 10-15 years with nobody knowing or giving a poo poo about who he was before this.

Even more egregious is that we can blame him for "entertainment media" not being able to shut the gently caress up about Miley Cyrus for the last 2 months. He's like a pop culture viral epidemic.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 10, 2013

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

raditts posted:

He had a music video where he paid some ladies to parade around topless and shake their titties and write notes exaggerating the size of his dick, that's pretty much it. It certainly didn't have anything to do with the song being any good, and he's been around for a good 10-15 years with nobody knowing or giving a poo poo about who he was before this.

Even more egregious is that we can blame him for "entertainment media" not being able to shut the gently caress up about Miley Cyrus for the last 2 months. He's like a pop culture viral epidemic.

He gives off some mega-Vanilla Ice vibes. Meaning, he comes off as the type of "pop star" we'll see in 10 years on some 3rd rate VH1 reality show.

The internet can piss me off with some of the stuff it makes viral. Like why the hell is "Keyboard cat" a thing, and why am I seeing it in commercials?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

He gives off some mega-Vanilla Ice vibes. Meaning, he comes off as the type of "pop star" we'll see in 10 years on some 3rd rate VH1 reality show.

The internet can piss me off with some of the stuff it makes viral. Like why the hell is "Keyboard cat" a thing, and why am I seeing it in commercials?

I have no idea why it became an internet meme (besides that the internet loves all things cats), but IIRC it started out as a VHS recording in the 80s that somehow managed to spread however far things ever managed to spread on VHS.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

raditts posted:

I used to really like that song but was sad because I couldn't listen to it without remembering the creepy rear end music video.

And then I realized the good parts of the song were just inspired by Marvin Gaye's "Got to Give it Up" anyway so I just listen to that!

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
Sorry goons, Robin Thicke has been in the mainstream for quite a long time and has been popular for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ibeIqOv1ww

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rap Music and Dope posted:

Sorry goons, Robin Thicke has been in the mainstream for quite a long time and has been popular for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ibeIqOv1ww

I'm sure as much as you'd like to be all "heh goons", sorry no singing backup on this one rap song doesn't make you "popular for years."
The only time I ever saw him before Blurred Lines got popular was in a music video in 2003, and that was on some obscure music channel we got via satellite in Iraq. He was some kind of lovely proto-Buble back then.

"I got tickets to the Robin Thicke concert, I'm so excited!" - a thing nobody has ever said before the year 2013, still something I have yet to hear even now

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 10, 2013

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

I'm sure as much as you'd like to be all "heh goons", sorry no singing backup on this one rap song doesn't make you "popular for years."
The only time I ever saw him before Blurred Lines got popular was in a music video in 2003, and that was on some obscure music channel we got via satellite in Iraq. He was some kind of lovely proto-Buble back then.

"I got tickets to the Robin Thicke concert, I'm so excited!" - a thing nobody has ever said before the year 2013, still something I have yet to hear even now

I still like "When I Get You Alone" (the first song he ever had that got exposure). I will not apologize for this. gently caress the current popularity though. :mad:

lamey_whinehouse
Jul 5, 2007

by Smythe

raditts posted:

Just because you have no loving idea who he is doesn't mean he's wrong.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I still like "When I Get You Alone" (the first song he ever had that got exposure). I will not apologize for this. gently caress the current popularity though. :mad:

That is an awesome track, I wish Walter Murphy would do more collaborations with R&B artists.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

The more ads I see for "The Fishing Look", "The Mining Look", etc. the more depressed I feel. Because there is no way in hell that the long string of bad decisions that led to officially licensed "Hunger Games" makeup didn't start with someone saying, "Well, the main character is a girl, so..."

Yes, I know Katniss' makeover is a plot point, but it's a relatively minor one compared to "'Series 7' But With Zombie-Dog-People".

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 11, 2013

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vR4LeL0yzE

See this ad?

gently caress this ad.

The song is annoying, and I just hate the :smug: parents in the final shot.

"heh, look at those LOSERS."

I don't want/nor need your stupid phone microsoft. It's played literally every other commercial break too.

Christ..for as bad a rep as Apple gets at least they keep their ads relatively non-annoying for the IPhone/IPod/IPad.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 11, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vR4LeL0yzE

See this ad?

gently caress this ad.

The song is annoying, and I just hate the :smug: parents in the final shot.

"heh, look at those LOSERS."

I don't want/nor need your stupid phone microsoft. It's played literally every other commercial break too.

Christ..for as bad a rep as Apple gets at least they keep their ads relatively non-annoying for the IPhone/IPod/IPad.

I don't know why the ad wizards behind these lovely Windows Phone ads are so obsessed with making fun of that NFC high-fiving thing.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I want an actual camera company to make a commercial that makes fun of everyone taking pictures with phones and tablets.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sash! posted:

I want an actual camera company to make a commercial that makes fun of everyone taking pictures with phones and tablets.

Didn't a camera company actually do this though? I seem to recall seeing a commercial for DSLR's where they basically inferred that using anything other than an actual camera was a poor alternative. They didn't come right and out say "Camera phones suck!", but they seemed to be hinting at that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Didn't a camera company actually do this though? I seem to recall seeing a commercial for DSLR's where they basically inferred that using anything other than an actual camera was a poor alternative. They didn't come right and out say "Camera phones suck!", but they seemed to be hinting at that.

Whichever camera company that uses Ashton Kutcher had a camera that would upload stuff online. Which was kind of positioned against cameras on phones.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't usually mind the hashtag thing, but THIS. THIS loving COMMERCIAL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKZYCrhb_Ok

gently caress. YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Whichever camera company that uses Ashton Kutcher had a camera that would upload stuff online. Which was kind of positioned against cameras on phones.

Problem there is, you have no room to mock anyone else when Ashton Kutcher is your spokesperson.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I don't usually mind the hashtag thing, but THIS. THIS loving COMMERCIAL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKZYCrhb_Ok

gently caress. YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

God, I hope this embarrassing chapter of pop culture ends soon. You just know it'll get dredged up in some future "I love the 2010s" show, too.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

raditts posted:

Problem there is, you have no room to mock anyone else when Ashton Kutcher is your spokesperson.

God, I hope this embarrassing chapter of pop culture ends soon. You just know it'll get dredged up in some future "I love the 2010s" show, too.

eventually all of the 40somethings making these ads will die off and people our age will misrepresent the trends of people younger, and the circle of life shall continue

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Vicas posted:

eventually all of the 40somethings making these ads will die off and people our age will misrepresent the trends of people younger, and the circle of life shall continue

That subway ad is awful but you know hashtags are actually a thing which real people use

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Wandle Cax posted:

That subway ad is awful but you know hashtags are actually a thing which real people use

Yes, and just like in that ad, no doubt

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Vicas posted:

Yes, ads are meant to be realistic depictions of behavior and not exaggerated at all, of course

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

lamey_whinehouse posted:

Just because you have no loving idea who he is doesn't mean he's wrong.

Well just because he does doesn't make him right either.

Wandle Cax posted:

Yes, ads are meant to be realistic depictions of behavior and not exaggerated at all, of course

Depends on the ad, but exaggerated usually ends up to be grating so I don't understand why that school of thought is still a thing.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well just because he does doesn't make him right either.

Depends on the ad, but exaggerated usually ends up to be grating so I don't understand why that school of thought is still a thing.

I can understand wanting to go with current trends, but in commercials it just reeks of desperation. LOOK AT HOW HIP WE ARE! REALLY! WE'RE COOL! BUY OUR PRODUCT, HOMEY! HASHTAG!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Wandle Cax posted:

I'm not sure what you're getting at because either way those are still terrible loving commercials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Vicas posted:

I have heard younger college students actually say "hashtag" out loud. Many times. I'm only 5 years older than they are but it is completely alien to me.