Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
So, for those of us who are freakish and bad enough to be more comfortable playing with 360 controllers than fightsticks, is there some way to change the analog stick's directional inputs? I have a bad habit of accidentally jumping during inputs in KoFXIII due to the fact that the treshold for horizontal inputs on the 360 analog are incredibly narrow, so i keep botching my moves. (if that explanation even makes sense, it's kinda hard to explain?) And obviously, the d-pad isn't really a viable alternative.

e: Also, i'm pretty sure trying to get through Terry's trials is giving me carpal tunnel syndrome.

Freak Futanari fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Get a madcatz fightpad or a hori turbo ex 2, those d-pads are much better.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

SSF4AE is on sale on Steam right now for 7.49.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

SSF4AE is on sale on Steam right now for 7.49.

I've been wanting a fighting game to try out, is picking this up worth the money? Is the online play still going strong or is it pretty dead on the PC? And if it is, is it actually playable or like the original SF4 which I gave up on because everything was so laggy and terrible.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Wapole Languray posted:

I've been wanting a fighting game to try out, is picking this up worth the money? Is the online play still going strong or is it pretty dead on the PC? And if it is, is it actually playable or like the original SF4 which I gave up on because everything was so laggy and terrible.

It's the exact same netcode as SF4, as far as I know. I wouldn't pick it up at any price above "free," but your priorities may vary.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think the netcode is fine for online, and there's plenty of people available to fight.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Tae posted:

I think the netcode is fine for online, and there's plenty of people available to fight.

For certain definitions of fine.

But he's new to fighting games (from his post) and isn't spoiled by rollback netcode like GGPO offers, so SFIV is probably a 'fine' option.

As much as I'm not a fan of the game. I'd recommend it over SFxT, for example. And on Steam/etc, his alternatives are limited to KOF13 (similarish netcode, decent game),and Skullgirls (great netcode, game likely to scare off a new player).

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

The community is very strong on steam. Takes less than 1 min to find a fight. (East Coast US). It's the version that I like the most over 360 and PS3.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I read a lot of bad poo poo about Street Fighter IV's DRM on the PC but it's hard to find any concrete up-to-date details not knowing where to look and between changes made to the way it works apparently.

Can someone dish on this for me? Apparently it uses GFWL, but didn't GFWL shutdown?

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I read a lot of bad poo poo about Street Fighter IV's DRM on the PC but it's hard to find any concrete up-to-date details not knowing where to look and between changes made to the way it works apparently.

Can someone dish on this for me? Apparently it uses GFWL, but didn't GFWL shutdown?

GFWL is shutting down next year.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Lord Chumley posted:

GFWL is shutting down next year.

Does that mean Street Fighter IV is still using it until then or has it been patched out like a few other games did?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Does that mean Street Fighter IV is still using it until then or has it been patched out like a few other games did?
From what I have heard, it is getting patched out.

I already own a copy of AE PC on GFWL and I am still considering getting it on Steam, just for the convenience. 8bux ain't squat.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Once Ultra comes out that's gonna use Steamworks.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

gently caress it, bought. Is there an accepted way to find goons to play with, by which I mean goons to teach me the game by womping my rear end into the dust like a furious fistnado?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

GFWL is still used for it, but will be removed when Ultra comes out. Ultra will be a 14.99 upgrade, so if you get it today you can get Ultra for a total price of $22.48.

The DLC costume pack is 3.74 on steam as well, down from 14.99.

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.

Wapole Languray posted:

gently caress it, bought. Is there an accepted way to find goons to play with, by which I mean goons to teach me the game by womping my rear end into the dust like a furious fistnado?

Try the #goonsgarden irc channel on irc.synirc.net. There's usually some people on there that are up for games.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Fayk posted:

For certain definitions of fine.

But he's new to fighting games (from his post) and isn't spoiled by rollback netcode like GGPO offers, so SFIV is probably a 'fine' option.

As much as I'm not a fan of the game. I'd recommend it over SFxT, for example. And on Steam/etc, his alternatives are limited to KOF13 (similarish netcode, decent game),and Skullgirls (great netcode, game likely to scare off a new player).

People keep saying Skullgirls has this great Netcode, half my matches in the red have rollback out the rear end.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

People keep saying Skullgirls has this great Netcode, half my matches in the red have rollback out the rear end.

Well... yeah. Any match in red ping is going to be flaky at best, netcode isn't magic.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

SFxT is also on sale for 50% off on Steam for 14.99 but you really shouldn't care at all about that.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

"Man this netcode sucks!" *camera pans past 56k modem and zooms in on Garfield calendar that reads "1998".

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well... yeah. Any match in red ping is going to be flaky at best, netcode isn't magic.

Yep. Think of it this way, if you weren't playing GGPO, there wouldn't be rollbacks. The game would just freeze. And then a random move would come out five seconds later. And your cat would have a heart attack.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

MadCatz put up some more shots of the new Killer Instinct stick for Xbone

That internal shot is really interesting- looks like they're doing what Razer did for their stick.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?
If Waterpizza isn't enough there's a stream of the loketest for Dengeki Fighting Climax this weekend

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/%E9%9...%85%8D%E4%BF%A1

And it was also confirmed that Ecole/French Bread are actually making this :doh:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Awesome! I love me some weird-rear end japanese crossover fighters. I just hope it comes out on PS3

Edit: Oh poo poo, shes fighting with the Power of Cosplay

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Phreakmods may be making a Divekick Pad. They're the guys who made the JLF Link attachment for fighting sticks through kickstarter.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

dj_de posted:

If Waterpizza isn't enough there's a stream of the loketest for Dengeki Fighting Climax this weekend

And it was also confirmed that Ecole/French Bread are actually making this :doh:

French Bread are cool and I hope they do more work like this so they can actually port some games.

The new UNIB looks playable. I dunno if it's good, but it doesn't look like it has SFxT quality pacing anymore at least.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dj_de posted:

This actually looks pretty decent so far? Obviously it's hard to tell from an early loketest but the animation looks alright and it seems like there's actually damage on the moves and potential for combos. Time will tell but first blush doesn't make it seem as bad as I thought it'd be.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Just a heads-up to would-be stick purchases, Sony cocked up with headsets; PS3 Bluetooth headsets were meant to work with the PS4, but now apparently won't work at all. Also, their USB transmitter-based Pulse headsets will require a future firmware update to work; we don't know if that means weeks, months...I bring this up because they had said both would work fine earlier, and they said the same about specialty controllers like sticks and steering wheels. I was mulling over going crazy and getting that crazy BlazBlue stick, but I definitely won't until the PS4 is released and people actually confirm what works and what doesn't.

Xbox 360 sticks have always explicitly been incompatible with the Xbox One.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Endorph posted:

This actually looks pretty decent so far? Obviously it's hard to tell from an early loketest but the animation looks alright and it seems like there's actually damage on the moves and potential for combos. Time will tell but first blush doesn't make it seem as bad as I thought it'd be.

Shizuo from Durarara is in it, throwing vending machines and car doors at people?

Take all my money.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
No Claire Stanfield, no purchase. :colbert:

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Phreakmods may be making a Divekick Pad. They're the guys who made the JLF Link attachment for fighting sticks through kickstarter.

Why did they make this? If you're going to bother getting a controller for Divekick why would you want to play it with 30mm OBSFs instead of giant Pop'n-style buttons?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Brosnan posted:

Why did they make this? If you're going to bother getting a controller for Divekick why would you want to play it with 30mm OBSFs instead of giant Pop'n-style buttons?

It's the size of a regular controller and you can play it with your thumbs.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Maybe I'm going at this the wrong way, but I *have* controllers I can play with my thumbs. If I'm buying a dedicated Divekick pad, it's going to be a massive, baller as poo poo thing like the kickbox. If it's just going to be this dinky little controller it doesn't seem worth it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zodiac5000 posted:

Maybe I'm going at this the wrong way, but I *have* controllers I can play with my thumbs. If I'm buying a dedicated Divekick pad, it's going to be a massive, baller as poo poo thing like the kickbox. If it's just going to be this dinky little controller it doesn't seem worth it.

I agree with you in this respect on a personal level, although I could see why someone would want a simple, handheld controller, like if they don't have the living space to store a giant controller for a single game.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, of the three options I have right now for playin divekick (xbox 360 pad, madcatz TE fightstick, custom divekick stick with jumbo fuckin button), I play on my madcatz more. The way I have to hold a 360 pad sideways aint that comfortable to me, and while smackin those big fuckin buttons is good, I feel like I respond a little better on the regular arcade buttons.

Also people like to make poo poo so chill! His last post was about making a trackball for the icade with a giant bowling ball, 3 ball bearings and a mouse sensor. Noone is approaching and first thinking HMM I WONDER WHAT THE MARKET VIABILITY IS FOR THIS ITEM.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 11, 2013

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Do people actually play Divekick? It feels to me just like a really obnoxious joke that went way too far. This controller is just the most frostbitten extremity of the terrible joke.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Brosnan posted:

It's just a prototype he made with some spare parts and a cheap PCB, but he may be selling them later on.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Yes because it is a fun game. A special controller is totally pointless though

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

systran posted:

Do people actually play Divekick? It feels to me just like a really obnoxious joke that went way too far. This controller is just the most frostbitten extremity of the terrible joke.

Yeah it's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Trying to tech throws in online Marvel is the worst thing in the world

• Locked thread