Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Looks like nothing more than simple... rote copying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Don Tacorleone posted:

They don't seem to get the idea that the show used symbols from the periodic table to make up the words, not just randomly (Unless there's "OT" and "Vo" elements I don't know about)

Those are just mexican elements

Code DiMaggio
Feb 14, 2005

Young man Pay ATTENTION... This is VERY important...
That Metastasis extended trailer actually got me excited. I will watch, if only to see the changes they make, and for the sex scenes with Cielo Blanco :newfap:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
A whole mess of Breaking Bad characters in 8-bit form:

http://studiostobie.com/studio/?p=1040

You can see a little better on the website, since mousing over brings up a little magnifying glass type thing.

Here's the whole list of who's there:
Walter White
Heisenberg
Mr. Lambert
Mr. White
Jesse Pinkman
Jesse Pinkman 2
Skyler White
Walter White Jr.
Hank Schrader
Marie Schrader
Saul Goodman
Gus Fring
Mike Ehrmantraut
Steven Gomez
Badger
Skinny Pete
Combo
Tuco Salamanca
Hector Salamanca
The Cousins
Jane Margolis
Ted Beneke
Victor
Gale Boetticher
Lydia Rodarte-Quayle
Todd
Bogdan Wolynetz
Krazy 8
Wendy
Mr. Pinkman
Mrs. Pinkman
Gretchen Schwartz
Dr. Delcavoli
Donald Margolis
Tim Roberts
ASAC Merkert
SAC Ramey
Clovis
Holly White
Group Leader
Kaylee Ehrmantraut
Old Joe
Andrea Cantillo
Brock Cantillo
Huell
Kuby
Tyrus Kitt
Dennis Markowski
Declan
Chad
Carmen Molina
Dr. Belknap
Emilio Koyama
Ben
Louis
Jake Pinkman
Ken
Elliott Schwartz
Farley
Hugo Archilleya
Gonzo
No-Doze
Spooge
Spooge’s Lady
Tortuga
Getz
Francesca
James Kilkelly
Rival Dealers
Tomás Cantillo
Pamela
Benicio Fuentes
Juan Bolsa
Duane Chow
Lawson
Gaff
Don Eladio
Max Arciniega
Joaquin Salamanca
Barry Goodman
Chris Mara
Peter Schuler
Herr Herzog
Dan Wachsberger
Ira
Benny
Ron Forenall
Drew Sharp
Uncle Jack
Jack McGann
Andrew Holt
Anthony Perez
Isaac Conley
William Moniz
Harris Boivin
Raymond Martinez
Vince Gilligan

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Don Tacorleone posted:

But Skyler is way hotter here, so that's something.

Code DiMaggio posted:

That Metastasis extended trailer actually got me excited. I will watch, if only to see the changes they make, and for the sex scenes with Cielo Blanco :newfap:

Agreed, fellas! I can't wait to jack off my dick until I cum while watching this actress do her job.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

In It For The Tank posted:

I love that there is apparently a stock camera angle for dialogue scenes where it's a 3/4 view. It looks like something out of a high school film project. You can see it when Walt is reacting to his diagnosis and again when he's talking to Jesse.

Would you believe this is actually much higher quality than the average latin soap opera? My most positive thought was something like "Oh, they at least managed to copy that camera angle from the original in a not very embarrasing way".

edit: Also, Walter "Gets twisted", he doesn't "Break Bad" according to Jose Rosas

Yes, of course I'll watch it

Last Chance posted:

Agreed, fellas! I can't wait to jack off my dick until I cum while watching this actress do her job.

We're winners all around then.

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 11, 2013

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Don Tacorleone posted:

But Skyler is way hotter here, so that's something.

Really? Seems like kind of a sleazy thing to point out but OKAY.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

DrBouvenstein posted:

They even remembered to put a pizza on the roof! Nicely done.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

ApexAftermath posted:

"The lady in it is hot" is a time-honoured justification for watching bad TV.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
So Bob Odenkirk got cast in FX's Fargo show.

I mean it's possible he could be on the cast of 2 different cable network shows at the same time, I guess, theoretically...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

FishBulb posted:

So Bob Odenkirk got cast in FX's Fargo show.

I mean it's possible he could be on the cast of 2 different cable network shows at the same time, I guess, theoretically...

Fargo as in the Cohen Brothers movie? Isn't a big point of that movie that nothing like that ever happens in Fargo? Are there going to be murders every week?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

DrBouvenstein posted:

As happy as I am that Breaking Bad became a pop-culture tour-de-force, I'm really not looking forward to the next 20 years of "It's Breaking Bad, only they're dressed like Dr. Who characters!" nerdwank from T-shirt companies and internet cartoonists.

Basebf555 posted:

Fargo as in the Cohen Brothers movie? Isn't a big point of that movie that nothing like that ever happens in Fargo? Are there going to be murders every week?

It's a miniseries. If it gets popular they're going to do the American Horror Story thing and have each season be a new, unconnected story.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

As happy as I am that Breaking Bad became a pop-culture tour-de-force, I'm really not looking forward to the next 20 years of "It's Breaking Bad, only they're dressed like Dr. Who characters!" nerdwank from T-shirt companies and internet cartoonists.

Or the billion youtube music montages that get created using video clips.

Some are decent;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VirGFVLavLI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YnGZ9Wf9_s

Others... well, if you don't know the internet by now, my advice to you would be to tread lightly..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRNHDEGQb5k

Jack Skeleton fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 11, 2013

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's a miniseries. If it gets popular they're going to do the American Horror Story thing and have each season be a new, unconnected story.

Jesus. I guess the Coens have finally jumped the shark.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Loucks posted:

Jesus. I guess the Coens have finally jumped the shark.

How so? I'm thinking a lot of people who have so far been exclusively sticking to films are starting to look at tv a lot differently now with shows like Breaking Bad existing and showing what is possible to do now with the medium. I much prefer tv to films now anyways and the more talent that wants to do tv the better I think.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jack Skeleton posted:

Or the billion youtube music montages that get created using video clips.

Some are decent;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VirGFVLavLI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YnGZ9Wf9_s

Others... well, if you don't know the internet by now, my advice to you would be to tread lightly..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRNHDEGQb5k

But it's made up for by the fact that there are some Breaking Bad youtube videos that are just brilliant.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Am I crazy for thinking that this song would make for a nice BB montage? Even though it's rap, it's got a little southwestern vibe going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfvxtL9wO4w
I blame John Oliver.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Am I crazy for thinking that this song would make for a nice BB montage? Even though it's rap, it's got a little southwestern vibe going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfvxtL9wO4w
I blame John Oliver.

Anthony "Carlos 'I Am The Danger' Danger" Weiner

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Who are you texting to right now? What is it you think you see in that picture? No, you clearly don't know who you're sending pictures of your crotch to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger. I am the danger.... Carlos Danger

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4vogf1Ebzo

RJ Mitte on Dr Drew with his mom, talking about how he was bullied WAITWHATTHEISTHATHERREALNAME

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

ApexAftermath posted:

Seems weird that you pointed out what I pointed out but OKAY

Loucks
May 21, 2007

ApexAftermath posted:

How so? I'm thinking a lot of people who have so far been exclusively sticking to films are starting to look at tv a lot differently now with shows like Breaking Bad existing and showing what is possible to do now with the medium. I much prefer tv to films now anyways and the more talent that wants to do tv the better I think.

Rehashing an old movie that didn't really have any loose ends as a miniseries instead of coming up with something new and creative. They've had a few misses, but for the most part the Coen's past work has been fantastic. I just don't see a Fargo miniseries as anything but a lazy cash grab.

I'd be delighted to be proven wrong though.

edit: It might undermine my point to say that I'm going to watch the HELL out of Metastasis, but I don't care. Even if it is as bad as it looks I plan to enjoy every minute of it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Steve Yun posted:

RJ Mitte on Dr Drew with his mom, talking about how he was bullied WAITWHATTHEISTHATHERREALNAME

That explains Walt Jr.'s explosive screen presence, I guess.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Loucks posted:

Rehashing an old movie that didn't really have any loose ends as a miniseries instead of coming up with something new and creative. They've had a few misses, but for the most part the Coen's past work has been fantastic. I just don't see a Fargo miniseries as anything but a lazy cash grab.

I'd be delighted to be proven wrong though.
It's an original story and characters, though, right?. They're the just using the movie's milieu and small-town Minnesota setting.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Lycus posted:

It's an original story and characters, though, right?. They're the just using the movie's milieu and small-town Minnesota setting.

That's what I am taking from the little info that is available about it also.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Lycus posted:

Presumably.

But that doesn't make it feel any less like a cash grab spin-off. Again, it might be fantastic, but I don't have high hopes. It also means less time for them to come up with a decent new film.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Loucks posted:

But that doesn't make it feel any less like a cash grab spin-off. Again, it might be fantastic, but I don't have high hopes.

I'm confused. Are you saying it's going to be poorly made and that's why it will be bad, or are you saying you have arbitrarily decided that because it shares a name and the same vibe with the film it is going to be bad?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Tao Jones posted:

They even remembered to put a pizza on the roof! Nicely done.

I like the plane exploding in the background.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

In the last episode when Walt is in Gretchen and Elliott's new house he says something like "call it bow jass." What is he saying?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Zogo posted:

In the last episode when Walt is in Gretchen and Elliott's new house he says something like "call it bow jass." What is he saying?

A "beau geste", beautiful gesture, probably Walt wanting to show off his fancy verbal skills to these bourgeoise fucks

Loucks
May 21, 2007

ApexAftermath posted:

I'm confused. Are you saying it's going to be poorly made and that's why it will be bad, or are you saying you have arbitrarily decided that because it shares a name and the same vibe with the film it is going to be bad?

If the Coens are actually attached to it in any meaningful way it will probably have decent production values. I'm just skeptical of the idea that Fargo can be the setting for a season's worth of interesting story without feeling like we're just loitering on the decaying set of a Coen brothers movie long past wrap. I'd be excited about a truly original work from the Coens, but spending a season in Fargo just sounds like they wanted to do a show and didn't have any better ideas. It's more than a "vibe." The other issue is that by sinking time and effort into this they have less to come up with another film.

But again that's just my gut reaction and I hope I'm wrong. I'll give the thing a chance if it happens.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Wire sucked, Breaking Bad #1. Also, Badger and Skinny Pete have it right, B5>DS9.

The only show that comes close to Breaking Bad is Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Totally different genre and totally different progression. But that is in keeping with the style. Breaking Bad started out amazing, yes. Rather than go into some pitch about the plot (which doesn't do BB justice) I just ask people for an hour of their time. Everyone knows that pilots are a show's weakest episode. I mean, unless a show survives too long and decides to suck or something like that. But in terms of cohesiveness and poo poo like that. I clarify that point because it is worth making explicit. Then I show them the pilot of Breaking Bad. Works every time. Boom.

So Breaking Bad started off good. But then it magically kept getting better. The way it played out, it almost doesn't even loving matter. Pick a random number on your calculator and hit "x^2" and pretty soon it maxes out. Doesn't matter if you start with 2 or 2 million. Breaking Bad happened to start out high but, drat, it got exponentially better. drat.

Always Sunny is a different beast. Breaking Bad is Honda -- Continual improvement! Always Sunny is the Iron Cross. They let everybody know precisely where they were from the get and then just held on. And held on. And held on. A different kind of impressive, but no less worthy.

Edit: As someone raised outside the Christian tradition, I seem to be missing something when it comes to Breaking Bad (?) People keep talking about how obvious it is that God and the Devil are characters and how everyone is a rotten sinner and such. I don't get it. Rather than present that as a given, could someone explain that one in more detail for me?

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 12, 2013

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Shbobdb posted:

Wire sucked, Breaking Bad #1. Also, Badger and Skinny Pete have it right, B5>DS9.

Well at least you had the decency to drop that bombshell of bad opinions before forcing me to read the rest of your post!

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Shbobdb posted:

Edit: As someone raised outside the Christian tradition, I seem to be missing something when it comes to Breaking Bad (?) People keep talking about how obvious it is that God and the Devil are characters and how everyone is a rotten sinner and such. I don't get it. Rather than present that as a given, could someone explain that one in more detail for me?

Vince Gilligan has stated that his beliefs about morality influence the show's arc (no poo poo!), and cites things like the plane crash as Hellfire raining down around Walt as punishment, etc. Though he probably doesn't mean this as literal in any way, since "is God real, is Satan real?" doesn't add anything to the apparent consequences of Walt's actions.

Other than small things like that, I don't see much of anyone saying that God/Satan are 'characters in the show'.

Capntastic fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 12, 2013

Ghost of LSV
Jul 3, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing a Clone Wars-style Yoda dressed up in lab gear saying "The Chemistry, you must respect" with Breaking Bad rendered in Star Wars font. It will be intelligent and classy.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Capntastic posted:

Other than small things like that, I don't see much of anyone saying that God/Satan are 'characters in the show'.
I've seen this exact thing said in...some review or other, it might have been on the BBC website? Anyway, it was annoying because it sounds intellectual while being way more boring and simplistic than a surface reading of the show.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Shbobdb posted:

Breaking Bad started out amazing, yes. Rather than go into some pitch about the plot (which doesn't do BB justice) I just ask people for an hour of their time. Everyone knows that pilots are a show's weakest episode. I mean, unless a show survives too long and decides to suck or something like that. But in terms of cohesiveness and poo poo like that. I clarify that point because it is worth making explicit. Then I show them the pilot of Breaking Bad. Works every time. Boom.

I'm re-watching the series and this friend asks me to see it with me because everyone on her facebook is in love with breaking bad and she doesn't use Netflix. She's bored out of her loving mind. She's using her cellphone while critical plot points are being explained (How they'll open the door to get methylamine in the first season for instance). She asks "What does this guy have again? Cancer? What kind of cancer?" when Walt starts coughing. She says it's dumb for Walt to be friends with Hank. She has no idea why they see each other so often, they don't seem to have much in common.

What I'm saying is, gently caress this lady

Shbobdb posted:

Basically, every mainstream piece of entertainment from the Smurfs to NYTimes Bestsellers, has to be compared to the Bible and talk about Jesus on the cross imagery and fights with the devil. This goes double if you are writing an article online. It's the most freshman in college poo poo ever, but I guess it always makes a mark.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Don Tacorleone posted:

Basically, every mainstream piece of entertainment from the Smurfs to NYTimes Bestsellers, has to be compared to the Bible and talk about Jesus on the cross imagery and fights with the devil. This goes double if you are writing an article online. It's the most freshman in college poo poo ever, but I guess it always makes a mark.

I think Walt is more an allegory for hitler as presented in jesse's "heil hitler bitch" scene. todd is also hitler

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Guess you don't want to buy my Regular Show Breaking Bad mash up shirt then. :cry:

Also, there's a (obviously) massive influx of prints coming out for this show. Like this one.

Which makes me laugh because it's literally the action figure.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasontd/9588349696/lightbox/

And they're charging 30 dollars for it.....

http://lifeversa.com/Breaking-Boss Hurry and snag one now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

I think Walt is more an allegory for hitler as presented in jesse's "heil hitler bitch" scene. todd is also hitler

People who shot themselves:
  • Walter White
  • Adolf Hitler

• Locked thread