Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

nvining posted:

Magic door.

You know what I miss? The multi Z-level maps of Civilization 2: Test of Time. You know you want to make this happen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."

nvining posted:

Magic door.

How much of an idea will we have of what's going on on the inside of the magic door? For example will I be able to see that Peter Coggler is down in the mine? If so will there also be updates when my miners find an ore vein, or find eldritch artifacts, or are wrestling with terrifying monsters? Or will all that stuff be apparent when useful materials/horrid artifacts/mangled corpses show up on the outside of the mine?

Also the lumpy blocky rocks look really nice.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I'm totally cool with a magic door. Do your rocks roll?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nvining posted:

Magic door.

Makes sense, would be hard to do tunneling with a heightmap-style level.

Still looks lovely though.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
People have said this before , but I think that you and your team are really producing something special. As someone who is completely outside of the industry this thread has been educational,
entertaining, and enlightening. Thank you for the blog and for all your hard work; I can't wait to throw some money at you guys!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

nvining posted:

Magic door.

That's kind of disappointing in a way. I imagine there are going to be occurances in the mines you would want to witness. I suppose instead of just shooting some dust out the entrance, you could bring up a special event window. Have a few underground sets ready and play out a little scene of a gas explosion or breaking into a Leng termite chamber or what have you.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

7c Nickel posted:

That's kind of disappointing in a way. I imagine there are going to be occurances in the mines you would want to witness. I suppose instead of just shooting some dust out the entrance, you could bring up a special event window. Have a few underground sets ready and play out a little scene of a gas explosion or breaking into a Leng termite chamber or what have you.

One cutscene is just the Dwarf Fortress intro movie.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dareon posted:

One cutscene is just the Dwarf Fortress intro movie.

Not gonna lie, the little surprised noise that the dwarf makes at the end followed up by the calm guitar noodling that plays in the background of the game is more or less perfect.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Not gonna lie, the little surprised noise that the dwarf makes at the end followed up by the calm guitar noodling that plays in the background of the game is more or less perfect.

Lets just hope the game doesn't end up with the same dev cycle :v:

I'm really hoping Gaslamp make the game extremely open to adding more features. I'd love to eventually see an underground map, perhaps as an addition to the regular world map. This would have the extra benefit of having some map scenarios where the topside world is an arctic wasteland where a colony immediately heads underground to scrape out a living before colonizing the surface again later.

And of course mutants, monsters, ghosts and extra-dimensional beings. I don't expect any of this on release mind you, since I'm fairly certain what is released is going to be a robust and entertaining city builder, but it would be amazing to have these things built on later. Basically I'm envisioning something like Don't Starve where cool features like the cave map is added on later once the core game is good and ready.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

Lets just hope the game doesn't end up with the same dev cycle :v:

I'm really hoping Gaslamp make the game extremely open to adding more features. I'd love to eventually see an underground map, perhaps as an addition to the regular world map. This would have the extra benefit of having some map scenarios where the topside world is an arctic wasteland where a colony immediately heads underground to scrape out a living before colonizing the surface again later.

And of course mutants, monsters, ghosts and extra-dimensional beings. I don't expect any of this on release mind you, since I'm fairly certain what is released is going to be a robust and entertaining city builder, but it would be amazing to have these things built on later. Basically I'm envisioning something like Don't Starve where cool features like the cave map is added on later once the core game is good and ready.

Hell a DLC based around adding an underground cavern system to explore and which lets you tunnel basically like dungeon keeper would be pretty drat sweet, I'd buy it.

As long as I can run into Shoggoths anyway.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Hey guys can you please make a game that's basically Sim City 4 combined with Dwarf Fortress combined with Minecraft combined with Diablo? As a Video Games Ideas Guy this seems like a flawless plan to make tons of money

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Requested_Username posted:

Hey guys can you please make a game that's basically Sim City 4 combined with Dwarf Fortress combined with Minecraft combined with Diablo? As a Video Games Ideas Guy this seems like a flawless plan to make tons of money

What we need is a modern remake of Alien Legacy!

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Demiurge4 posted:

Yes. Yes we do. That game was goddamn amazing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I loved bionic commando, and bionic commando: rearmed. Can you guys please make bionic commando: rearmed 3: the rearmening too?

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

So it will have terrible AI, each menu will use different set of keys to navigate, it will be written in java and it will be always online with real money auction house? Sounds fun :getin:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

Not gonna lie, I considered doing that myself. Even spent a while trying to reverse engineer the game data formats (mostly unsuccessfully).

Game owned, but I never did finish it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Not gonna lie, I considered doing that myself. Even spent a while trying to reverse engineer the game data formats (mostly unsuccessfully).

Game owned, but I never did finish it.

I never cared much for the story or the sudden swift pacing it introduced once you got colonies going on both planets. But the basic premise of a realistically designed solar system and colony management was really cool and the mothership basically being a mobile space station for the purposes of the game was amazing. I'm a huge Outpost fan too, love the genre. I kickstarted two colony games a while ago, if just one of them turns out alright I think I'll do fine for a while.

CE is pretty much a guaranteed win for me at this point though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm a huge Outpost fan too, love the genre. I kickstarted two colony games a while ago, if just one of them turns out alright I think I'll do fine for a while.

CE is pretty much a guaranteed win for me at this point though.

I never played outpost; maybe I should. Which two games?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

I never played outpost; maybe I should. Which two games?

Moonbase: Colonization, it's a pretty small project but if he delivers on his promises it should be a pretty decent game. The other is Rimworld which is a bit more like Dwarf Fortress than many other things but it's basically a colony in space too.

A third game is Terminus, which sadly looks like it won't reach it's goal. Maybe they'll try again later.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Demiurge4 posted:

Moonbase: Colonization, it's a pretty small project but if he delivers on his promises it should be a pretty decent game.

It's disappointing that the developer was originally considering android but moved to PC instead. I'd kill to get a decent strategy game on Android that isn't freemium.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Lots of words about exploding roofs!
http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/10/16/how-to-debug-an-exploding-building/

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

A properly nerdy blog today! I actaully enjoyed going over that Wonka Paper. I'm a little :psyduck: by that.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

There are far too few tags for this post, and the underlying impossibly non-euclidean geometry was not given the respect it deserves.

On a scale of 1 to Non-Euclidian chicken I give this post a Mobius strip.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Volmarias posted:

There are far too few tags for this post, and the underlying impossibly non-euclidean geometry was not given the respect it deserves.

On a scale of 1 to Non-Euclidian chicken I give this post a Mobius strip.

Yeah, we were down in Seattle today so I ended up finishing the blog post and hitting the send button from the back of a car in Bellevue, Washington.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

nvining posted:

Yeah, we were down in Seattle today so I ended up finishing the blog post and hitting the send button from the back of a car in Bellevue, Washington.

And I didn't get a call for a drink? :argh:

nvining
May 30, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

And I didn't get a call for a drink? :argh:

Well, I didn't know. Next time we are in Washington State, we will make Arrangements. (Alternately, come to Vancouver.)

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

nvining posted:

Well, I didn't know. Next time we are in Washington State, we will make Arrangements. (Alternately, come to Vancouver.)

I keep trying to convince the wife to go to Vancouver (Honey come hang out with these guys that make video games! It'll be totally cool I promise! Honey? Where are you going?) but she never takes me up on it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Volmarias posted:

It's disappointing that the developer was originally considering android but moved to PC instead. I'd kill to get a decent strategy game on Android that isn't freemium.

It's not that surprising considering how much of a pain android development is.

Also, I'm pretty happy about the move, there's way too many games where I think "oh, that looks interesting" only to find out that they're iOS/Android only.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ToxicFrog posted:

It's not that surprising considering how much of a pain android development is.

Also, I'm pretty happy about the move, there's way too many games where I think "oh, that looks interesting" only to find out that they're iOS/Android only.

It's just the converse for me. Everything is freemium, because everyone thinks that the revenue steam is there, so we get endless clones of "Pet Hotel Tycoon" or "Zombie Shootout Assault FREE" or whatever which, once you analyze them, are really just pressing buttons with timers attached. There's zero depth whatsoever, and no novel ideas. Anything that seems like it would be something I'm interested in is actually some alpha software that was abandoned 2 years ago, or a laughably poor port.

Android isn't that hard to develop for, realistically, as long as you're willing to not have pixel perfect designs.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Volmarias posted:

It's just the converse for me. Everything is freemium, because everyone thinks that the revenue steam is there, so we get endless clones of "Pet Hotel Tycoon" or "Zombie Shootout Assault FREE" or whatever which, once you analyze them, are really just pressing buttons with timers attached. There's zero depth whatsoever, and no novel ideas. Anything that seems like it would be something I'm interested in is actually some alpha software that was abandoned 2 years ago, or a laughably poor port.

Android isn't that hard to develop for, realistically, as long as you're willing to not have pixel perfect designs.

Well, there's also the fragmentation nonsense, which is just dreadful - and which is why you'll never see Dredmor for Android devices. (Although, weirdly enough, we now have an in-house build for the Raspberry Pi, of all things.) Anyhow, we're all getting frightfully off topic.

Any questions today?

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
Now that you mention it. Yes. I do have a question. How are things going to work with events? Are they going to be fully random, weighted, or are you going to do something a bit more complex similar to Rimworlds AI event director thingy?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

nvining posted:

Well, there's also the fragmentation nonsense, which is just dreadful - and which is why you'll never see Dredmor for Android devices. (Although, weirdly enough, we now have an in-house build for the Raspberry Pi, of all things.) Anyhow, we're all getting frightfully off topic.

Any questions today?

I do, in fact, have a question about personalities. Double Fine, those crazy crazy bastards, are pulling together a sort of space dwarf fortress, or at least that's what they are billing it, and I dropped $50 on it because it's goddamn Double Fine and I trust them as a developer and... Dwarf Fortress in space with SPACE CHICKENS! Anyway off topic. In their game one of my newest space citizens was a giant space cat (Who I promptly renamed KITTY!) whose first best friend on his space stats (detecting a silly theme?) was himself. In every conversation he started with every crewmates his brought himself up first. Having owned cats my entire life I know this is exactly how they think. Are our citizens going to be like this? Are they going to have canned personalities like my space kitty (and I'm sure every space kitty) or are they going to be somehow cobbled together? Can we get examples?

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I do, in fact, have a question about personalities. Double Fine, those crazy crazy bastards, are pulling together a sort of space dwarf fortress, or at least that's what they are billing it, and I dropped $50 on it because it's goddamn Double Fine and I trust them as a developer and... Dwarf Fortress in space with SPACE CHICKENS! Anyway off topic. In their game one of my newest space citizens was a giant space cat (Who I promptly renamed KITTY!) whose first best friend on his space stats (detecting a silly theme?) was himself. In every conversation he started with every crewmates his brought himself up first. Having owned cats my entire life I know this is exactly how they think. Are our citizens going to be like this? Are they going to have canned personalities like my space kitty (and I'm sure every space kitty) or are they going to be somehow cobbled together? Can we get examples?

Also how will personalities effect events?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Admiral Funk posted:

This too. Like will leaving that cultist archaeologist alive because he researches oh so much faster be a real risk when he creates secrets cultists and eventual tries to summon Some Ancient And Horrid Evil into the colony?

nvining
May 30, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

They're cobbled together from a large database of traits. Everybody gets some traits, and you ... may... get more as you progress. I believe there was a blog post on this. It should be a fairly rich system.

Admiral Funk posted:

Magic 8-ball says: your fortune is cloudy, ask after we repair the event system. Suffice it to say, things will depend on your personalities.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

nvining posted:

Any questions today?

Have you guys heard of Space Base DF-9?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CjG51_M9ZQ

What do you make of it, are you scared? (Here is the planned-feature list for reference.)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I wouldn't be. Outside of the life sim elements the feature list for SpaceBase DF9 feels very unambitious, especially with the catchall "matter" resource removing any supply chain aspect from the game. That combined with a different aesthetic, different threats, and different settings mean that Clockwork Empires still has a very strong niche to fill.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like there is plenty of room in this genre for multiple games. The only reason it has been a niche in the past isn't because there isn't interest, but because the games are generally obtuse and hard to get into. I think Dungeons of Dredmor proved that with Roguelikes as well. If you make the game reasonable to get into, there are plenty of people who will play your game. Honestly, I think I could put plenty of time into both Space Base and Clockwork Empires to justify the purchase.

Vodkahead
Jun 4, 2007

Triskelli posted:

I wouldn't be. Outside of the life sim elements the feature list for SpaceBase DF9 feels very unambitious, especially with the catchall "matter" resource removing any supply chain aspect from the game. That combined with a different aesthetic, different threats, and different settings mean that Clockwork Empires still has a very strong niche to fill.

I concur. They share some gameplay elements but the setting, tone, and style are all different. If anything I'd expect these two titles to complement each other in the sense of "Since you liked ..., why not try ...".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Boatswain posted:

Have you guys heard of Space Base DF-9?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CjG51_M9ZQ

What do you make of it, are you scared? (Here is the planned-feature list for reference.)

You are late to the party :colbert:

• Locked thread