Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:
Welp, I think Logitech needs to update their drivers for Mavericks. Every time I swipe back in Safari, the swipe action gets stuck and the tab locks up. Have to copy-paste the URL to a new tab and close the old. I also can't swipe down from Exposé.

Maybe I should just buy Apple's trackpad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.
Yeah, I ran Logitech Gaming Software so I could enable the browser forward/back buttons, and it was loving up mouse clicks while running. Logitech software is poo poo.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ZShakespeare posted:

This might be NDA territory, but does anyone know if iCloud keychain will be available on iCloud.com in case I need to grab a password on a non-apple device? This will inform dropping the cash on Lastpass.
Maybe Windows version of Safari? (...not that it'll help for other OSes or other random devices)

edit: I guess Windows Safari doesn't even do bookmark syncing so keychain is probably out too :(

japtor fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 12, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

japtor posted:

Maybe Windows version of Safari?
Windows version of Safari was killed a long time ago.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

eddiewalker posted:

Command+Z. Same as control-z in windows.

Thanks! This is awesome.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hello everyone.

I am missing my Login items.

They have disappeared a few times now. I log in and none of my login items are in my Login Items list.

I suspect that someone has stolen them, repeatedly. Please return my login items.

If you return them, no questions will be asked.

But seriously, any idea what could be clearing Login items? This is like the 10th time this has happened in the past month and I'll be damned if I can figure out what is happening other than me rebooting into Windows. That shouldn't affect anything though.

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008

Stumpus posted:

I've been having this issue with my new MBA where after I wake it up, it will, after a few seconds, go back to sleep and I'll have to wake it up again. Lately when it does it I can still see my cursor but the screen is black this will hang the system for like five seconds before falling asleep again.

I noted that other people had this problem on google but it was attributed to an app called insomnia which I do not have installed. Anyone have knowledge regarding this issue?

My Haswell 13" MBA does the exact same thing. Hopefully Apple gets their poo poo together and this issue will be gone with Mavericks.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Foiltha posted:

My Haswell 13" MBA does the exact same thing. Hopefully Apple gets their poo poo together and this issue will be gone with Mavericks.

I had this, the GM seed of Mavericks seems to have fixed it. At least I haven't experienced the problem for about a week since the install.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

lol internet. posted:

Thanks! This is awesome.

Don't forget if you're looking for a command you can pop open the Help menu and type the name of it into the search box. Highlighting it in the results (easily done with down arrow) will open the menu the command is in and point at it. One of my favourite OS X features.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Anyone with Mavericks having an issue with Spotlight being unresponsive after a reboot or waking from sleep? I never had this issue before, and it eventually works, but I use it for launching apps so it is very annoying.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm really hoping Apple spends the next 12 months just unifying their visuals and user experiences, because right now it's a god drat mess.

Pretty sure we've been asking for this since 2004.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

I've only been using OS X since July, so I have only been exposed to ML, and this is something that has been bugging me. If I am using a fullscreen app that has no "bar" of some sort at the bottom the screen, it is impossible to drag to select past the bottom of the screen. If there is a bar, it scrolls/selects like it is supposed to once I hit the bar. Is this behavior I can change or has it been fixed in Mavericks?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

lord funk posted:

Pretty sure we've been asking for this since 2004.

What was there to really unify in 2004? Right now there's a huge disparity when it comes to iOS 7 and OS X.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

ijyt posted:

What was there to really unify in 2004? Right now there's a huge disparity when it comes to iOS 7 and OS X.

There's been a huge disparity between OS X and OS X for a very long time.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

ijyt posted:

Pinstripes and brushed metal.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

xarph posted:

Pinstripes and brushed metal.

The horror.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

That was fixed in 2007. Honestly around that time they had the most consistency but then Scott "Stitched Leather" Forstall became SVP.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Remember installing Uno on Leopard (?) just to make the window backgrounds the same grey? At least we don't have to do that anymore.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Here's a weird one. If I click on the MacBook Pro with Retina link on MacMall's website, it takes me to the right page but 4 files get automatically downloaded, that appear to be Flash files

That's with Safari. What could be going on?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Attempted drive by?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Granite Octopus posted:

Remember installing Uno on Leopard (?) just to make the window backgrounds the same grey? At least we don't have to do that anymore.

I loved uno so much during the brushed metal era.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I installed Mavericks on my '09 iMac, but when I attempt to run the Migration Assistant to restore the Apps and Files from my external, it won't see the drive. It's a WD Mybook connected via FW800. I can browse the drive and see the files and folders fine but Migration Assistant doesn't se the drive at all.

Any suggestions where to start? The only think I can think of is the backup isn't stored in a sparse bundle file, it's just a directory of files under Backups.backupdb This is apparently normal for directly connected drives.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 13, 2013

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I installed Mavericks on my '09 iMac, but when I attempt to run the Migration Assistant to restore the Apps and Files from my external, it won't see the drive. It's a WD Mybook connected via FW800. I can browse the drive and see the files and folders fine but Migration Assistant doesn't se the drive at all.

Any suggestions where to start? The only think I can think of is the backup isn't stored in a sparse bundle file, it's just a directory of files under Backups.backupdb This is apparently normal for directly connected drives.

Check the Time Machine System Preferences and make sure that it hasn't turned itself off / disassociated itself from the backup volume. Migration Assistant wouldn't recognize my (encrypted) backups until I turned Time Machine back on after the update.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

FCKGW posted:

At least for the the Developer Previews, you had to install a utility to allow for migration assistant to work from Mountain Lion or Lion. Apple will probably either push this update before Mavericks goes public (I think this happened for ML too).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Oneiros posted:

Check the Time Machine System Preferences and make sure that it hasn't turned itself off / disassociated itself from the backup volume. Migration Assistant wouldn't recognize my (encrypted) backups until I turned Time Machine back on after the update.

Time machine seems to work fine, I can browse backups made weeks and months ago.

mayodreams posted:

At least for the the Developer Previews, you had to install a utility to allow for migration assistant to work from Mountain Lion or Lion. Apple will probably either push this update before Mavericks goes public (I think this happened for ML too).

This might be my problem then. I'll just install a couple core apps then and wait to see if a utility comes along. After I bought my rMBP the iMac has become a second citizen anyways.

EDIT: I just realized it will let me migrate my Macbook sparsebundle file, but not the iMac backup. So I guess it's seeing the drive after all?

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 13, 2013

SaveMeBarry!
Jun 7, 2013
Hi, I want to do a clean install on my mbp from Lion to Mountain Lion. I partitioned my hard drive to stock all my important files. I just want to know if I do a clean install is it going to erase the content on both partitions & lose my files? Do I need an external hard drive to do a clean install?

Ps: Please tell me if someone already asked the same question.

SaveMeBarry! fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 13, 2013

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Shared printter done gone broke problem:

I have a shared printer attached to another Mac in my house. Been sending stuff to it from my MacBook for months without problems. Earlier this week it stops working "waiting for authentication". According to google wisdom the only way to solve this is by deleting the printer and re-adding it. And this works ... for three days. Now I've got the same drat error. Any insights?

(MacBook Pro, mid 2012, running Mountain Lion)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SaveMeBarry! posted:

Hi, I want to do a clean install on my mbp from Lion to Mountain Lion. I partitioned my hard drive to stock all my important files. I just want to know if I do a clean install is it going to erase the content on both partitions & lose my files? Do I need an external hard drive to do a clean install?

Generally there isn't a difference between "clean" installs of OS X and upgrades like in Linux or Windows. Just backup your files(and really this is optional), run the updater, and it should Just Work™.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

SaveMeBarry! posted:

Do an external backup. Use the installer to wipe the HDD clean, then recover whatever files you need.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Is there a newer utility you can use to RDP into Windows machines? Microsoft's app hasn't been updated in forever and it crashes all the time when connecting to some 2012 and almost every time to 2008 R2. This is starting to affect my job and is pissing me off.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I use the open-source rdesktop, but it runs in X11 and isn't perfect (command-tab pops up the start menu as well as switch applications, had to build it myself to get sound working, it sometimes loses focus mysteriously, doesn't have a fancy GUI launcher). It's still better than the MS remote desktop client, though.

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 13, 2013

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

flyboi posted:

Is there a newer utility you can use to RDP into Windows machines? Microsoft's app hasn't been updated in forever and it crashes all the time when connecting to some 2012 and almost every time to 2008 R2. This is starting to affect my job and is pissing me off.

hang in there

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

flyboi posted:

CoRD works but doesn't support NLA which might be an issue depending on how you have your servers set up.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Mercurius posted:

CoRD works but doesn't support NLA which might be an issue depending on how you have your servers set up.

I use Cord too, and it should work better for 2008 than the ms client. But it won't work for newer auth like Win8 like Mercurius said.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I have a mid 2010 Macbook Pro which has been awesome until last week. I got a software update I think Wednesday. Before that I never had a single problem. Now, Chrome will become unresponsive and beach ball multiple times day. I have to do a hard power off to fix it. And my battery icon now says "Service battery" which was not there before the update. I tried to google some answers but I had no luck.

Any ideas? This is really pissing me off. I have had Apple laptops for 10 years and this is the first time I have ever had trouble.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

flyboi posted:

I use Jump Desktop

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ribsauce posted:

I have a mid 2010 Macbook Pro which has been awesome until last week. I got a software update I think Wednesday. Before that I never had a single problem. Now, Chrome will become unresponsive and beach ball multiple times day. I have to do a hard power off to fix it. And my battery icon now says "Service battery" which was not there before the update. I tried to google some answers but I had no luck.

Any ideas? This is really pissing me off. I have had Apple laptops for 10 years and this is the first time I have ever had trouble.
Which version of OS X are you running?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

edit

it has happened two more times. It isn't just Chrome, it is anything. It just beachballed and I left the computer for 20 minutes, came back and the thing was still spinning. I had the App Store open when it happened.

I will try the Genius bar tomorrow unless anyone has amazing advice. I guess 1 problem after 10 years of ownership is pretty good as far as computers go, but I am still very irritated. I am working out of town this week and I need this stupid thing to function properly.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 14, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone else keep getting the SMC update for 2012-13 Airs and even after installing/reboot it shows up again in software update,?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Did Safari get updated recently to only show the main part of a url? Like right now it just says "forums.somethingawful.com" whereas a week ago it would show the full URL. It's actually kinda annoying so can I disable this "feature"?