Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

buddhanc posted:

Dodds is leaving. That means Mack is almost assuredly leaving unless he pulls out every game on the schedule and Texas goes to a BCS bowl, which is very unlikely. The new AD (Oliver Luck), and Bill Powers will team up with the big money donors to make someone a very rich man

Dodds will go renegade and give Mack a huge extension at the end of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Spacebump posted:

Dodds will go renegade and give Mack a huge extension at the end of the season.

I think they're supposed to announce his successor in December, which would coincide nicely with a new AD beginning a coaching search.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

nate fisher posted:

Kiffin basically depleted the roaster, and left. Dooley was a decent recruiter (his classes were in the top 15), but an awful coach. His real downfall last year was the scheme Coach Sal put in that Tennessee didn't have the players for. Still neither one of them had a class at UT like UT currently has. This is the type of class (no matter how it finishes) that fills some of the big needs we have right now. Will Jones win at UT? No idea, but I like our chances under Jones more than I did under Dooley. I know you love to poo poo on Jones (not the first time), and you maybe right, but please excuse UT fans having a positive outlook given how the last 5 years have gone. He is our coach, and I will give him 3 to 4 years to show me he is the man for the job.

Thinking Jones is the pillar of mediocrity and thinking Tennessee fans are acting like lost puppies are two independent thoughts. If you go back to the coaching thread last year, I kept saying they shouldn't go Jones, and offered up Briles and Dantonio as better choices.

I don't see why you should be complacent either. If your program is in trouble, why be a Pollyanna? I'm desperately scared that Kyle Flood is going to slowly rot Rutgers for instance.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm torn. On the one hand, he just won the Red River game big. On the other, he still got humiliated in noncon play, could lose several remaining games, and has been underacheiving for years. I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

Seeing indisputable proof that this team is capable of playing like they did in Dallas only heightens my desire to see someone other than Mack coaching them. Seriously, if they are capable of that, what goddamn excuse can there be for some of our recent performances? If Greg Freaking Robinson can improve the defense this much in a matter of weeks how can Mack escape the fact that keeping Manny Diaz shows an incredible lapse of judgment on his part?

My gut sense is that the performance in Dallas is mainly due to (1) Greg Robinson instilling some fundamentals in the defense and (2) Case McCoy stepping up to fill a leadership vacuum and rallying the team to play with some loving heart. With a better HC we don't have either of those problems to begin with.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
We also ran the loving ball like a maniac which is our only real strength and has the added bonus of letting our defense get some rest.

But I'm sure next game we'll get more sideways offense!

The entire gameplay was amazing in that we've been asking for that all year and golly gee it actually worked

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I have no idea how you watch tape of ISU against UNI and Iowa and then decide that the best way to attack them is by letting Case McCoy gently toss the ball 50 times.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

MourningView posted:

I have no idea how you watch tape of ISU against UNI and Iowa and then decide that the best way to attack them is by letting Case McCoy gently toss the ball 50 times.

For years and years Texas would talk about how they're keeping their offense vanilla in the early games because they're hiding some huge secret for the Oklahoma game. It's never paid off. I'm going to choose to believe we got a decade's worth of payoff on Saturday.

Thermos H Christ posted:

Seeing indisputable proof that this team is capable of playing like they did in Dallas only heightens my desire to see someone other than Mack coaching them. Seriously, if they are capable of that, what goddamn excuse can there be for some of our recent performances? If Greg Freaking Robinson can improve the defense this much in a matter of weeks how can Mack escape the fact that keeping Manny Diaz shows an incredible lapse of judgment on his part?

My gut sense is that the performance in Dallas is mainly due to (1) Greg Robinson instilling some fundamentals in the defense and (2) Case McCoy stepping up to fill a leadership vacuum and rallying the team to play with some loving heart. With a better HC we don't have either of those problems to begin with.

Let's enjoy beating the poo poo out of Oklahoma for longer than 24 hours.

And I don't see how you can spin crushing Oklahoma as a negative. If Mack had a seizure early last week and an interim head coach stepped in and we got this result... totally get it. But you're trying to use a big win against him?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Zypher posted:

And I don't see how you can spin crushing Oklahoma as a negative. If Mack had a seizure early last week and an interim head coach stepped in and we got this result... totally get it. But you're trying to use a big win against him?

Simple. We now have proof that when they actually live up to their potential, this team can more or less dominate a ranked team in every facet of the game. It's not that crushing Oklahoma is a negative at all, it's that the games against BYU, Ole Miss and ISU are massive, glaring negatives. The Oklahoma win proves just how badly we underperformed in those games because it shows how high the ceiling really is. Knowing that, our performances up to this point really reinforce the notion that nobody achieves less with more resources than Mack Brown.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Team is bad. Steps are taken to correct some of the problems. Team, for the moment, seems to be trending in the right direction. Let's wait and see what team comes out on the field on October 26th against TCU. What more do you want right now?

Somewhat unrelated, I present this photo without comment:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I don't want or expect anything more right now. We were discussing whether Mack will/should leave after this season. I hope/think the answer is yes, even if he wins out from here.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
Which school is degraded enough to hire Greg Schiano after he gets blacklisted from the NFL? I'm going with UConn

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Emanuel Collective posted:

Which school is degraded enough to hire Greg Schiano after he gets blacklisted from the NFL? I'm going with UConn

Western Kentucky once Petrino's done with his penance.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Emanuel Collective posted:

He's not getting blacklisted from the NFL, he'll easily find work as a DC. He absolutely will not go to a mid major.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Kim Jong Il posted:

He absolutely will not go to a mid major.

But he was at Rutgers all those years? :smugdog:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Kim Jong Il posted:

He's not getting blacklisted from the NFL, he'll easily find work as a DC. He absolutely will not go to a mid major.

If it turns out they can prove he leaked the info about Freeman, I could see him having a hard time finding NFL work.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
He loving loathed the fact that Rutgers was in the Big East, and that situation was way better than having no chance of ever moving up at UConn.

swickles posted:

If it turns out they can prove he leaked the info about Freeman, I could see him having a hard time finding NFL work.

He's really close with Belichick.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Would Todd Haley be a hot coaching hire?

Besides for GIFs I mean.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Kim Jong Il posted:

He loving loathed the fact that Rutgers was in the Big East, and that situation was way better than having no chance of ever moving up at UConn.

He's really close with Belichick.

Doesn't matter. This isn't spygate style stuff. No player is ever going to trust him and rightfully so. He isn't a Belichick style rear end in a top hat, he is a whole new breed himself who isolates and alienates half the players in the locker room, and the other half only tolerate it because they are replaceable.

I could see him having another shot after a few years kind of like how Carrol did, but I don't expect him to have another NFL job after this one for a while, even as a DC. Maybe as a position coach, but no more.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
It seems far more likely to me that Schiano falls upward into a better college job a la Kiffin or Petrino than him sticking around the NFL as a coordinator or position coach.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I hear there's a school in Austin that might be posting job openings pretty soon

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

It seems far more likely to me that Schiano falls upward into a better college job a la Kiffin or Petrino than him sticking around the NFL as a coordinator or position coach.

Not even remotely given what I know about him. He'd much rather stay in the NFL.

swickles posted:

He isn't a Belichick style rear end in a top hat, he is a whole new breed himself who isolates and alienates half the players in the locker room, and the other half only tolerate it because they are replaceable.

Schiano's career didn't start in 2013. This absolutely is not true. Control freak yes, evil monster no.

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

Schiano seemed unqualified for an NFL gig from the start. Good luck being a control freak with pro athletes. Maybe this is just growing pains for Schiano and the Bucs but they as a whole are just awful right now. The whole Butch Davis ordeal makes him look like a scumbag. Of course Schiano is going to say it's going to get better but exactly where is the light at the end of the tunnel for Bucs fans? I think it's only a matter of time before he's fired.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Kim Jong Il posted:

Not even remotely given what I know about him. He'd much rather stay in the NFL.

Schiano's career didn't start in 2013. This absolutely is not true. Control freak yes, evil monster no.

It didn't start in 2013 but it certainly ended then.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yes I'm sure he just magically transfromed into a gigantic rear end in a top hat in 2013.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
When I think "NFL Coach" I think "28-48 record in the Big East"

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Elotana posted:

When I think "NFL Coach" I think "28-48 record in the Big East"

He rebuilt Rutgers from nothing so you can't just look at his division record and smugly declare "not worthy"

He was a bad candidate but his W-L record isn't why

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
He absolutely was not qualified in that sense. He rebuilt with recruiting and talent development, not with good coaching. In fact, he was average at best in terms of game management, which made me think he was an especially poor fit for the NFL.

However, he was an elite defensive coordinator, and it's easy to think that he could have instead went into the NFL after Miami and gotten a HC shot much sooner. Given how many HCs fail, it wasn't a terrible hire at the time when you look at it like that.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Declan MacManus posted:

He rebuilt Rutgers from nothing so you can't just look at his division record and smugly declare "not worthy"

He was a bad candidate but his W-L record isn't why
Excising his first three seasons leaves a record of 26-29, and that record takes place entirely within the post-VT/Miami Big East

List of Schiano's BCS OOC wins: Maryland, Illinois, Iowa St, NC St, Kansas St (Ron Prince interregnum)

He gets credit for making Rutgers respectable but failed to capitalize on 2006 and never had a real signature win outside the Big East. If you were determined to hire a college coach in 2012 he'd still be around 30th on your list.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 15, 2013

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Kim Jong Il posted:

Where does he stay? Belichick rarely hires his own departed head coaches back, let alone head coaches that aren't directly in his tree. Schiano hasn't been a NFL assistant since 1998, and I don't think his tenure in Tampa is going to have people chomping at the bit to have that kind of a wildcard as a DC or DB coach. So maybe he gets a NFL assistant job, but it's not likely to be a particularly good or highly paid one. But I do think he'd have a pretty easy time getting a cushy mid-level BCS job, and I could even see him as a fallback candidate for places like Texas or Penn State (when O'Brien inevitably moves on).

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
He isn't Nick Saban who atleast had a very good college coaching resume to fall back on. He has one 11 win season in a depleted Big East. Seriously he's not going to be loving coaching at Texas.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I agree that he'll have to go the disgraced fired coach route and take up shop at a mid-major. I don't think he'll manage to fall up as his resume isn't that impressive and he's got a bad rep as a real jerk now.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I don't get the Orgeron yaw yaw yaw poo poo. What is that?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Tyrannosaurus posted:

I don't get the Orgeron yaw yaw yaw poo poo. What is that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n1KPQmdddY

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Texas isn't say, Tennessee. Schiano isn't even their 20th call.

An East Coast school, yes. Schiano would be very useless outside of that, there's no way he's recruiting Texas or California.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Virginia AD Craig Littlepage tells the WaPo that Mike London's job is safe and he'll be coach next year.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

He's sure as poo poo earned it!

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Internet radio host/reporter man @mbhornsfan tweeting that Mike Tomlin has been in touch with Texas about the coaching gig. I would absolutely lose my poo poo if he took the job.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
lol whether these rumors are bullshit or not Tomlin better get his agent in line and squash rumors or he's gonna utterly lose the Steeler locker room and have another Saban-in-Miami situation the rest of the year.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

GD_American posted:

lol whether these rumors are bullshit or not Tomlin better get his agent in line and squash rumors or he's gonna utterly lose the Steeler locker room and have another Saban-in-Miami situation the rest of the year.
These rumors aren't even being mentioned outside of obscure texas fans with more twitter follows than followers. So I doubt anyone who matters living within 500 miles of Pittsburgh even knows about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

GD_American posted:

Texas don't give a gently caress. We all know Texas would accept a Saban-in-Miami situation if it means they might get a Saban-in-Tuscaloosa situation when Tomlin becomes a Longhorn

• Locked thread