Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Doctor Reynolds posted:

My favourite thing the Ghost Ice Burner in the Andraste Temple does is say, "Hey, you're cool." to Shale.

It's funny doing that quest with a party of Sten, Shale and Morrigan after previously rolling in with Alistair, Leliana and Wynne. All the awe and wonder as they experience the temple are replaced by them just making GBS threads over everything. I don't think any of them answer the ghost's questions, they all pretty much just to tell it to gently caress off. Morrigan does something similar during the Fade section of the Circle tower. Everyone else is playing out some elaborate crisis or fantasy and when you get to her she basically says "Yeah, I know it's not real, I'm not retarded. I was just waiting for you to show up so we could roll on out of here." I think that was when I started liking her character.

It's actually strange, for a conventional Bioware RPG, both Sten and Morrigan constantly criticize Bioware's 'go to three locations-> collect the three macguffins-> go to endgame' and give you pretty good suggestions you're never allowed to act on. Why can't we just find and take out Logain first? I dunno, Morrigan, I don't have an option to agree with you here. Same with Sten when he confronts (and sometimes attacks) you during the search for Andraste's ashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I am having an issue with my DA:O game - despite owning all the DLC (due to owning the Ultimate Edition) it says I am unauthorized for them, even when I log onto the account that claims I own the ultimate edition.

Even weirder, the site itself says I can't post in PC tech support because I don't own the game, despite it showing up that I do indeed own Dragon Age - Ultimate Edition.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Wolfsheim posted:

It's funny doing that quest with a party of Sten, Shale and Morrigan after previously rolling in with Alistair, Leliana and Wynne. All the awe and wonder as they experience the temple are replaced by them just making GBS threads over everything. I don't think any of them answer the ghost's questions, they all pretty much just to tell it to gently caress off. Morrigan does something similar during the Fade section of the Circle tower. Everyone else is playing out some elaborate crisis or fantasy and when you get to her she basically says "Yeah, I know it's not real, I'm not retarded. I was just waiting for you to show up so we could roll on out of here." I think that was when I started liking her character.

It's actually strange, for a conventional Bioware RPG, both Sten and Morrigan constantly criticize Bioware's 'go to three locations-> collect the three macguffins-> go to endgame' and give you pretty good suggestions you're never allowed to act on. Why can't we just find and take out Logain first? I dunno, Morrigan, I don't have an option to agree with you here. Same with Sten when he confronts (and sometimes attacks) you during the search for Andraste's ashes.

Sten also knows his fade dream's not real but he tells you that he's just playing it out to humour the demon until the Warden shows up :allears:. Dog you just wake up by patting it :3:

While I also remember that I liked Morrigan's suggestion, honestly, Arl Eamon ends up being one of your biggest supporters against the blight in terms of actual military aid and in terms of his expertise at politicking. Sten's in the wrong there imho, but mostly because he doesn't know that humans will often devolve into arguing about how to fix a leak on sinking ship instead of just, you know, fixing it.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Wolfsheim posted:

Honestly though, it's not really the greatest suggestion on Morrigan's part in context. At that point she's talking about assassinating the most important person in the country, in the capital city, in front of all of the nobles most likely, with a group of at most a dog, a brand new Grey Warden of varying type, a barely trained Grey Warden, and a Witch of the Wilds. Even if you could do it, nobody would have any reason to think you are anything other than what Loghain said: backstabbing, spying traitors who want to destroy Ferelden, or whatever other such nonsense.

Edit: Though Sten's objection is more reasonable, I would still say there's logic in what you do to save Eamon. While his armies may not be the most important thing, having an important noble who can back a friendly royal ascending the throne and make legitimate claims against Loghain as an assassin and attempted murderer is very useful within the political context of Ferelden in DA:O, and it's not unreasonable to think that there might be magic ashes that could save him in a world like Thedas.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 14, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Wolfsheim posted:

Why am I fixing random peasant problems, Morrigan? Because telling a salesman he's a dick will put me 10% more on the path to figuring out how to stab two people at once.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I wonder, if it's a coincidence or not, that DA:O had all these characters criticising the classic Bioware formula of "Tutorial area, do these X number of areas in any order, end game", then it ends up being the last to do it?

Mass Effect 2 came out around the same time and was did it, but after them you've got ME2 and DA2, both relatively 'linear' with acts/chapters instead. There was no 'what next Shepherd? Help the Krogan or the Quarians?' there was an order to what you did the 'priority' stuff in.

Same with DA2, your main quests were always in a certain order. In fact you only really got one big thing to deal with each chapter, and each time skip.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

I am having an issue with my DA:O game - despite owning all the DLC (due to owning the Ultimate Edition) it says I am unauthorized for them, even when I log onto the account that claims I own the ultimate edition.

Even weirder, the site itself says I can't post in PC tech support because I don't own the game, despite it showing up that I do indeed own Dragon Age - Ultimate Edition.

The DLC authorization is broken by the current patch on Origin and Steam I think. There's a new patch that's only on their support site I think? And people give Bioware's competition a hard time for supposedly buggy games.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

epitasis posted:

The DLC authorization is broken by the current patch on Origin and Steam I think. There's a new patch that's only on their support site I think? And people give Bioware's competition a hard time for supposedly buggy games.

Their competition us more often than not Bethesda and Obsidian, and Bioware isn't even CLOSE to them when it comes to buggy games.

The one good thing you can generally say about the stuff Bioware releases, is that they doesn't break down every other hour and their quests are completable.

necessary voodoo
Nov 4, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Honestly though, it's not really the greatest suggestion on Morrigan's part in context. At that point she's talking about assassinating the most important person in the country, in the capital city, in front of all of the nobles most likely, with a group of at most a dog, a brand new Grey Warden of varying type, a barely trained Grey Warden, and a Witch of the Wilds. Even if you could do it, nobody would have any reason to think you are anything other than what Loghain said: backstabbing, spying traitors who want to destroy Ferelden, or whatever other such nonsense.

I think that might've been a subtle call out to how Morrigan's never been with/interacted with other people outside of spying on nearby villages and really doesn't have much of an idea how the majority of the world actually works. Or I could just be reading into things too much, but it makes sense.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I tried to go to Denerim first because I thought Morrigan suggesting we go there and attack Loghain was a sign that the option existed. Surely they wouldn't bring it up (without giving any explanation as to why it was impossible through dialogue) if I couldn't do it, right? Well, poo poo, no, the gates are all locked and you can never point this out to Morrigan later. Where's my "We've TRIED that, you harpy; that's not going to work!" dialogue option?

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Does Morrigan ever really push the issue though?

It's been awhile but the only person I remember being really serious about just going to kill Loghain/TheAD and skipping the middlemen was Sten.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lotish posted:

I tried to go to Denerim first because I thought Morrigan suggesting we go there and attack Loghain was a sign that the option existed. Surely they wouldn't bring it up (without giving any explanation as to why it was impossible through dialogue) if I couldn't do it, right? Well, poo poo, no, the gates are all locked and you can never point this out to Morrigan later. Where's my "We've TRIED that, you harpy; that's not going to work!" dialogue option?

Morrigan needed to exist in a New Vegas style game where instead of doing the stupid quests you could just kill and rob everyone and justify it due to Grey Warden reasons.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Penakoto posted:

Their competition us more often than not Bethesda and Obsidian, and Bioware isn't even CLOSE to them when it comes to buggy games.

The one good thing you can generally say about the stuff Bioware releases, is that they doesn't break down every other hour and their quests are completable.

Do not even talk to me about trying to play unpatched Oblivion on release I will bite you.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Pick posted:

Do not even talk to me about trying to play unpatched Oblivion on release I will bite you.

That's what you get for playing Oblivion.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

HenessyHero posted:

Sten also knows his fade dream's not real but he tells you that he's just playing it out to humour the demon until the Warden shows up :allears:. Dog you just wake up by patting it :3:

While I also remember that I liked Morrigan's suggestion, honestly, Arl Eamon ends up being one of your biggest supporters against the blight in terms of actual military aid and in terms of his expertise at politicking. Sten's in the wrong there imho, but mostly because he doesn't know that humans will often devolve into arguing about how to fix a leak on sinking ship instead of just, you know, fixing it.

Sten just misses his friends. :(

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Penakoto posted:

Awakening has a fun bug where all your equipment gets deleted.

MantisToboggan
Feb 1, 2013

sassassin posted:

Yeah, but it was really funny seeing my badass, dragon-slaying mage show up in Amaranthine in nothing but his tightie whities.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The first time I played Awakening I was actually still wearing my boots, but nothing else. Luckily I was playing a city elf and had kept the outfit in my inventory the entire game, so soon enough I was backstabbing darkspawn in a wedding dress. It worked out pretty well.

The second time they had fixed that in a patch, so my mage showed up wearing some decent enchanted robes and such...except I had been playing an arcane warrior, and all my heavy armor was gone :argh:

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

sassassin posted:

Unless you mean the part in the mines where if you don't unequip your character, you lose your equipment permanently. That really sucked. The ghoul never gave me back my leveled stuff!

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
Yup, I found that out the hard way. Had to use a bunch of console commands to give all of my stuff back.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
As a mage you can pretty much break the game over your knee naked at that point anyway.

CommonSensei
Apr 3, 2011

HenessyHero posted:

Sten also knows his fade dream's not real but he tells you that he's just playing it out to humour the demon until the Warden shows up :allears:.

My favorite part of Sten in the fade was it gave the impression that sarcasm was the main currency in the lands of the Qun.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Leelee posted:

Unless you mean the part in the mines where if you don't unequip your character, you lose your equipment permanently. That really sucked. The ghoul never gave me back my leveled stuff!

That happened to me, but there's another bug where you just start Awakening with no equipment at all. The latter happened to my girlfriend when she tried to play it and that killed all her desire to continue.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

That happened to me, but there's another bug where you just start Awakening with no equipment at all. The latter happened to my girlfriend when she tried to play it and that killed all her desire to continue.
That's a bug with the import system. Almost all DA:O DLC items won't be transferred into Awakening.
As an added insult: While the item itself will be removed, any bonus or penalty from the item will apparently be merged into your character's base stats if your character was wearing it. So if for example your Warden wore the Warden Commander's armour, you'll not only start Awakening naked, but also with a permanent 30% fatigue.

If you're on the PC, there's is a fix for this.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 14, 2013

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
And there are also mods to include most of the DLC stuff that otherwise wouldn't be transferred over. I wasn't ready to give up my enormous space sword yet.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

sassassin posted:

As a mage you can pretty much break the game over your knee naked at that point anyway.

My favorite part of Awakening was playing as a mage during the final siege on the keep. I had so many damage dealing passives on I just stood in the doorway. Spawning enemies died before they even finished loading and caused the game to crash.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

You know they're probably going to make him all grimdark in DA:I. :(

Yeah. They made him handsome in that preview, so I'm guessing you're right...which makes me sad. Maybe we'll be pleasently surprised, though, and he'll be the same old Varric.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Bored posted:

Yeah. They made him handsome in that preview, so I'm guessing you're right...which makes me sad. Maybe we'll be pleasently surprised, though, and he'll be the same old Varric.

I imagine they're just sprucing him up for a Dwarf Inquisitor to romance (:shepicide:)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

HenessyHero posted:

I imagine they're just sprucing him up for a Dwarf Inquisitor to romance (:shepicide:)

It'll be funny if the dwarf Inquisitor is celibate by default because Gaider can't handle it.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
You start the romance and a popup appears: "THIS DWARF ROMANCE HAS BEEN CLOSED DUE TO DAVID GAIDER'S SHUTDOWN"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
First patch:

DWARF SEX REINTRODUCED BY POPULAR DEMAND

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Speaking of Dwarf Sex Scenes, the cinematic director opens up about intimacy in DAI.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/64049/dragon-age-inquisitions-sex-scenes-are-mature-and-tasteful-dont-expect-victorias-secret-panties/

etjester
Jul 14, 2008

[insert text here]

"Mature and tasteful" has never really been their thing. That he cites Mass Effect as a positive example does not inspire confidence.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

etjester posted:

"Mature and tasteful" has never really been their thing. That he cites Mass Effect as a positive example does not inspire confidence.

Hopefully he's talking about the sex scenes in ME1. They were more "cinematic" and less tacky. To be fair, the Origins cutscenes were really bad, so just about anything would be a step up.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

caleramaen posted:

Hopefully he's talking about the sex scenes in ME1. They were more "cinematic" and less tacky. To be fair, the Origins cutscenes were really bad, so just about anything would be a step up.

Yeah, I imagine he's just talking about the cinematic itself though if you ask me I'd prefer the fade-to-blacks they did in ME2 and 3 far more than the on-screen scenes in ME1. ME1's weren't terrible or anything but all of it just seems like pointless titillation to me, a reward for the player. No real value is lost by just implying sex through dialogue rather than actually animating it.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

caleramaen posted:

To be fair, the Origins cutscenes were really bad, so just about anything would be a step up.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

^ edit-And I was fine not having to see that scene again, dammit.

Kibayasu posted:

Yeah, I imagine he's just talking about the cinematic itself though if you ask me I'd prefer the fade-to-blacks they did in ME2 and 3 far more than the on-screen scenes in ME1. ME1's weren't terrible or anything but all of it just seems like pointless titillation to me, a reward for the player. No real value is lost by just implying sex through dialogue rather than actually animating it.

If memory serves, I vaguely remember people bitching on the Bioware forums over the fade to black scenes.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

M_Sinistrari posted:

^ edit-And I was fine not having to see that scene again, dammit.

If memory serves, I vaguely remember people bitching on the Bioware forums over the fade to black scenes.

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kibayasu posted:

Really, a bit of half-naked cuddling/kissing and a fade to black is about the most tasteful sex scene a video game can have. It is obvious what is going on, and if they want to see hardcore sex, I am sure there are other video games out there for them.

Though now that I think about it, are there any western games with explicit sex in them? I know about Japanese visual novels, is that all?

I would not see the "upgrade" of Varric's graphics to be a sign that he can be romanced. You could not romance Flemeth in DA:2. And it is probably just a general Bioware thing, making their games and the characters in them prettier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Torrannor posted:

Really, a bit of half-naked cuddling/kissing and a fade to black is about the most tasteful sex scene a video game can have. It is obvious what is going on, and if they want to see hardcore sex, I am sure there are other video games out there for them.

Though now that I think about it, are there any western games with explicit sex in them? I know about Japanese visual novels, is that all?

I would not see the "upgrade" of Varric's graphics to be a sign that he can be romanced. You could not romance Flemeth in DA:2. And it is probably just a general Bioware thing, making their games and the characters in them prettier.

Witcher got more down and dirty but it is more a European game I guess.

• Locked thread