Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I take back my comments, about the long war mod and switched to the beta version. Started a new game, and it seems to be working much better.

It feels like the number of missions has been toned down a lot (i.e. not 1 every other day), and the aliens are progressing a fair bit slower. My interceptors can actually shoot something down. Hospital times seem to be slightly lower, and some other stuff.

Also i concur gently caress the construction site. Long War mod gave 17 aliens in the construction site :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Cosmic Afro posted:

Yeah, I preordered Brave New World for Civ V on GMG and I got a Steam code key.
Keys will be released on Nov 15 for Enemy Within if you got it at GMG.

I think that's the date anyway.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Blarghalt posted:

I'm super-psyched that even though you can't capture EXALT agents, you can steal their guns. I'm not sure if their weapons are any better or if it's just a cosmetic switch, but either way :getin:

fennesz posted:

Really? That's actually pretty awesome. I hope they have alternate models for laser and plasma weapons as well.

The Rat posted:

Wonder if you get to keep their guns if they do that.

Pretty sure it's been said that capturing their guns just provides you with alternative "skins" to use for weapons--a lot like the alternative skins for armor. But otherwise, the stats are identical. Which sucks, because having slightly different stats for XCOM and EXALT firearms would actually go a long way to mixing things up a bit.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I just wish there were more weapon options in general. Give me SMGs, stun grenades, flamethrowers, grenade launchers, etc. Weapon loadouts should be more of a choice and less of a "use whatever the latest tech is" thing.

That's what I've been saying. The stun grenades are coming, but I'd love one or two unorthodox weapons that aren't one of the four main firearms (in whatever particular tech flavor is currently en vogue).

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 15, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I just wish there were more weapon options in general. Give me SMGs, stun grenades, flamethrowers, grenade launchers, etc. Weapon loadouts should be more of a choice and less of a "use whatever the latest tech is" thing.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

UberJumper posted:

Also i concur gently caress the construction site. Long War mod gave 17 aliens in the construction site :smithicide:

First mission in my Impossible Ironman game was the construction site. I probably lost that mission 15 times in a row before finally beating it (you're allowed to restart the first mission as many times as you want if you fail, and I was too stubborn to quit).

The rest of that run was a breeze by comparison.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Dual-wielding Plasma Tec-9s, gangsta style.

:krad:

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

WarpedNaba posted:

This is what Slingshot's character should have been. :allears:

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

In that IGN video the guy asked if there were new weapons and I think Gupta gave a non-committal reply which sounded as though there would be some, but maybe I'm just remembering wrong (even though it was only yesterday).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

I'd pay top dollar for that DLC.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

zylche posted:

Keys will be released on Nov 15 for Enemy Within if you got it at GMG.

I think that's the date anyway.

Says 12 November on the website (Or at least, it says 'out 12th Nov'), but I do recall getting Brave New World a little later than straight from Steam. And I couldn't preload, so there's that.

But you know, that's, what, ten bucks off with the code?

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!

I agree completely.

It's such lazy design, you see it so often in space 4X games as well. Instead of having a range of options with different pros and cons, as you go up in tech you just get +1 to hit, +1 to damage. It's so frustrating.

One of the reasons MOO2 was so amazing was at any one time there were twenty different weapon systems you could mount.

Literally the only choices you make in this are shotgun vs rifle, and plasma rifle vs light plasma rifle. Very disappointing.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Majestic posted:

I agree completely.

It's such lazy design, you see it so often in space 4X games as well. Instead of having a range of options with different pros and cons, as you go up in tech you just get +1 to hit, +1 to damage. It's so frustrating.

One of the reasons MOO2 was so amazing was at any one time there were twenty different weapon systems you could mount.

Literally the only choices you make in this are shotgun vs rifle, and plasma rifle vs light plasma rifle. Very disappointing.

At least mods re-introduce concepts like, "laser weapons are lower damage but have a higher potential damage through critical chance, and you don't have to reload them" and "plasma weapons are big, sloppy, short-ranged destroyers". I agree that it's aggressively lazy (or unimaginative) to design the system the way it currently is.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Majestic posted:

I agree completely.

It's not lazy, it's just simple. X-com is pretty pure and streamlined as a strategy game, and having the guns and armor be close to a simple progression helps a lot for newer players in that people who haven't played a lot of strategy games aren't good at identifying which of their gun choices are optimal, while on the other hand having less diversity between soldiers isn't necessarily a bad thing from a design perspective.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

At least we're getting more grenade options now. Needle Grenades (Big AOE, probably doesn't destroy weapon fragments, does not destroy cover), and Stealth Grenades (cast cloak on all units in an area) and I think there was at least one more new shown in those videos but I can't remember.

Between the more grenade options and the old Deep Pockets perk being moved to a Forge project, that "Double Grenades" skill for Heavies is gonna be a lot prettier. Finally, people will stop telling me I'm stupid for not taking Danger Zone because I like to be able to be able to hit the bad guys without hitting my own soldiers/civilians, or without leveling all the cover on the map that I could potentially use 2-3 turns down the road.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Everything must be level, for behind the lines lurk angels of death and their view is long.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Alkydere posted:

At least we're getting more grenade options now. Needle Grenades (Big AOE, probably doesn't destroy weapon fragments, does not destroy cover), and Stealth Grenades (cast cloak on all units in an area) and I think there was at least one more new shown in those videos but I can't remember.

Gas grenades.

I guess we get to loot Exalt guns even when they die, right? Weapons exploding on death is alien tech, and exalt die even if stunned.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Majestic posted:

I agree completely.

All MOO2 does it make it incredibly difficult to work out which weapon combo gets you the most DPS. That' what the balance comes down to. And then there's the one endgame ship that beats everything if you can remember how to build it.

Count Uvula is right, the game is just streamlined. In the end there's no difference between using the gun a soldier has to determine what his 'class' is and using his class to determine what gun he can carry. An unambiguous progression in terms of damage means that the game can ramp up the difficulty as time progresses without worrying about the playing tripping up over their own tech tree.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Alkydere posted:

Finally, people will stop telling me I'm stupid for not taking Danger Zone because I like to be able to be able to hit the bad guys without hitting my own soldiers/civilians, or without leveling all the cover on the map that I could potentially use 2-3 turns down the road.

This is blasphemy of the highest order. Scorch the earth. There are no innocents.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Alchenar posted:

All MOO2 does it make it incredibly difficult to work out which weapon combo gets you the most DPS. That' what the balance comes down to. And then there's the one endgame ship that beats everything if you can remember how to build it.

Count Uvula is right, the game is just streamlined. In the end there's no difference between using the gun a soldier has to determine what his 'class' is and using his class to determine what gun he can carry. An unambiguous progression in terms of damage means that the game can ramp up the difficulty as time progresses without worrying about the playing tripping up over their own tech tree.

I'm all for streamlining but I don't think the game would suffer any in the complexity department by simply having a couple of weapon choices per class. And I do think there is a difference between that and having different classes with different weapons. It's more interesting to build out a character in a specific way, giving them more personality (like having a combat support versus a medic support) and creating more versatility within the classes would be nice.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Some of the new EXALT stuff raises questions about why the aliens don't have that stuff. EXALT are really tactical and team-based, why aren't the aliens? EXALT have dead mens' switches so they can't be taken alive, why don't the aliens? Surely it makes more sense for the hyper-advanced interstellar extradimensionals to have better tactics and advanced warfare than some earth dudes in slacks.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Boing posted:

Some of the new EXALT stuff raises questions about why the aliens don't have that stuff. EXALT are really tactical and team-based, why aren't the aliens? EXALT have dead mens' switches so they can't be taken alive, why don't the aliens? Surely it makes more sense for the hyper-advanced interstellar extradimensionals to have better tactics and advanced warfare than some earth dudes in slacks.
Because they're failed experiments and cannon fodder. Plus the aliens want us to react and bootstrap ourselves up to their level. They could just wipe us all out instead they're playing mouse in the maze type games with us.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Boing posted:

They're more familiar with our human tactics. Or something, who cares.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

They are human and therefore inherently superior. Haven't you been listening to the UE?

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Pretty sure it's been said that capturing their guns just provides you with alternative "skins" to use for weapons--a lot like the alternative skins for armor. But otherwise, the stats are identical. Which sucks, because having slightly different stats for XCOM and EXALT firearms would actually go a long way to mixing things up a bit.

That's what I've been saying. The stun grenades are coming, but I'd love one or two unorthodox weapons that aren't one of the four main firearms (in whatever particular tech flavor is currently en vogue).

grenade launchers would be cool, like a rocket launcher with less range. what i really want is a version of the sectopod's mortar, where you fire it but it takes a whole turn to land so the rest of your turn has to be focussed on pinning the enemies into the killzone.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
MECs get grenade launchers :getin:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Please god (Jake, whoever's in charge of EW) let us "friedly" fire at mind controlled units.
There's absolutely no reason for why you shouldn't be able to shoot at the guy you just mind controlled!

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Boing posted:

Because it's more interesting and varied if you fight two types of enemies with two types of tactics.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

How's an Exalt soldier going to inject himself when he's been stunned? Does he do it right before the actual stunning? That'd be weird.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Voltage triggered bomb? Dead-man switch? Plenty of ways to set it up so they get killed when you stun them which will go off without further effort from the stunnee.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Am I the only one who thinks the Stealth Grenade is really, really silly?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Alkydere posted:

Between the more grenade options and the old Deep Pockets perk being moved to a Forge project, that "Double Grenades" skill for Heavies is gonna be a lot prettier. Finally, people will stop telling me I'm stupid for not taking Danger Zone because I like to be able to be able to hit the bad guys without hitting my own soldiers/civilians, or without leveling all the cover on the map that I could potentially use 2-3 turns down the road.

You don't need that cover, you need more heavies. :colbert:

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Jack Trades posted:

Please god (Jake, whoever's in charge of EW) let us "friedly" fire at mind controlled units.
There's absolutely no reason for why you shouldn't be able to shoot at the guy you just mind controlled!

Ananda Gupta is the lead designer on EW. He did a fantastic job on Twilight Struggle which is one of the most well-received boardgames of all time. For what it's worth, he also worked on the Slingshot DLC.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Andre Banzai posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the Stealth Grenade is really, really silly?

Fluff-wise yes it's silly, crunch-wise it makes a ton of sense as part of the general theme of grenades being buff/debuff tools.

Sunning posted:

Ananda Gupta is the lead designer on EW. He did a fantastic job on Twilight Struggle which is one of the most well-received boardgames of all time. For what it's worth, he also worked on the Slingshot DLC.

Holy poo poo he made TS? Twilight Struggle loving owns. I play that about every other night with my brother.

Frag Man
Sep 2, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

How about them making Collateral Damage a universal skill for all soldiers and call it Free Aim. Do you really need to be a cyborg to figure out that the car is a better target than the thin man hiding behind it?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mortabis posted:

Fluff-wise yes it's silly, crunch-wise it makes a ton of sense as part of the general theme of grenades being buff/debuff tools.

A stealth grenade is the perfect 'oh gently caress I triggered a group I didn't mean to' device. Presuming it arrives relatively early-mid game you get to be a lot more aggressive (which makes up for the squadsight nerf).

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Alchenar posted:

A stealth grenade is the perfect 'oh gently caress I triggered a group I didn't mean to' device. Presuming it arrives relatively early-mid game you get to be a lot more aggressive (which makes up for the squadsight nerf).

Stun grenades/flash bangs will help a lot with early triggers and are definitely an early game unlock.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Huh, the achievements list makes it look like there might be a couple of arena-style minigames wrapped up with EW.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Frag Man posted:

How about them making Collateral Damage a universal skill for all soldiers and call it Free Aim. Do you really need to be a cyborg to figure out that the car is a better target than the thin man hiding behind it?

I bet it's gonna be a mod though.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

Huh, the achievements list makes it look like there might be a couple of arena-style minigames wrapped up with EW.

I'm actually super stoked about one achievement hinting at a horde mode. Everyone dies :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I'm hoping this gives a boost to Multiplayer, that was my favorite part of the game after I beat the campaign. It's just really, really fun.

• Locked thread