Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I dunno, I *wanted* to like CK2 much more than I actually did. I feel like every recommendation should have a caveat that if you're not into grognard-type detail games, you may not enjoy CK2!

I like reading about people's in-game escapades, but whenever I try and do something similar I end up getting bored after 20 minutes :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

CapnAndy posted:

I've seen a screenshot of King Littlefinger of the Iron Throne, married to Queen Sansa. Someone's done it.

It's very clearly possible (I think the easiest way is to declare independence, get enough independent kingdoms, and then usurp or recreate the title), but without heavy cheating it requires about a billion good breaks. Maybe I'll try again this week.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

jeffersonlives posted:

The fun things to do are to play the nearly impossible scenarios. For example, I've tried a few times to get Littlefinger on the Iron Throne...one time I ended up with him as an independent King of the Trident and married to Queen Sansa of the North, but getting further than that presented challenges.

Right but playing it out in CKII is no more satisfying for me than just imagining it. There's no story to go along with it. Its like reading the absolute dryest plot synopsis possible of asoiaf from an alternate universe.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
The CK2 mod really isn't grognardy - economics, diplomacy and combat are about as bottom-line-up-front as you will ever get in any game in the genre, once you understand the system. If you're just going into the mod cold, without even playing the game's tutorials yet, then nothing is going to make sense, but once you find out the general details of the game mechanics, you realize you can do just about anything you want. The first 'big' thing I did, after like one hour of total playing, was play as Gregor and team up with Varys to have Joffrey killed in an ambush on the road. Anything can be made to work, it just takes finding the right opening, not looking through encyclopedias.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Is it wierd that I sometimes play the CK2 mod and just be a loyal bannerman and try to win as many tournies as possible and go hunting for valyrian swords and stuff?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

CapnAndy posted:

I've seen a screenshot of King Littlefinger of the Iron Throne, married to Queen Sansa. Someone's done it.

The fanmade Baelish coat of arms is the greatest thing.

That's just something I threw together quickly through the console, but it's pretty easy if you start the game with him as Lord Paramount of the Trident. It's a lot harder if you start out before that with just your one lovely province on the fingers though!

e; CK2 definitely isn't for everyone, but I wouldn't call it Grognardy.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 15, 2013

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Kainser posted:

The fanmade Baelish coat of arms is the greatest thing.

That's just something I threw together quickly through the console, but it's pretty easy if you start the game with him as Lord Paramount of the Trident. It's a lot harder if you start out before that with just your one lovely province on the fingers though!

e; CK2 definitely isn't for everyone, but I wouldn't call it Grognardy.

Aw, I just love happy endings. :kimchi:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

Exactly that.

I don't know why we need to have the "there are books that have yet to be written and things that aren't important yet may still be important" talk every couple of months, but here we are again. Maybe the Bronn thing really is going to go nowhere, but Tyrion's best friend now being a minor lord with a small army is the sort of thing that you can't easily dismiss out of hand, especially since it's given such steady attention in the Cersei chapters.

He's not gathering an army though.

He's a new lord with no pre-existing feudal structure beneath him. He needs a few soldiers around for the same reason that everyone else does, which is why he's made four old sellsword friends of his 'knights' because they aren't going to have class issues with him and will enjoy the gravy-train that is being a warrior-on-retainer.

Cersai just hears 'he's gathering sellswords' and does her usual dumb thing you apparently haven't remembered to put on a POV filter for those bits of her chapters.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Zythrst posted:

Is it wierd that I sometimes play the CK2 mod and just be a loyal bannerman and try to win as many tournies as possible and go hunting for valyrian swords and stuff?
I do the same thing sometimes. I've managed to get swords, but never any dragon eggs. Also played a game as Stannis, took the Iron Throne and was then killed by Aegon in trial by combat. Seemed off.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Ballz posted:

Aw, I just love happy endings. :kimchi:
Littlefinger's opinion of Sansa: :smugdog: 61%

Sansa's opinion of Littlefinger: :swoon: 100%

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
double post

rypakal fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 15, 2013

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Exactly that.

I don't know why we need to have the "there are books that have yet to be written and things that aren't important yet may still be important" talk every couple of months, but here we are again. Maybe the Bronn thing really is going to go nowhere, but Tyrion's best friend now being a minor lord with a small army is the sort of thing that you can't easily dismiss out of hand, especially since it's given such steady attention in the Cersei chapters.

We don't need to have the conversation every couple of months, so I guess you don't need to either. The TV show is not the books and the books are not the TV show. They do not need to keep Bronn in some kind of special reserve so he can be King Bronn the First. They also don't need to turn him into a Kettleblack. There are valid reasons for both of them.

They've literally already killed important people in the TV show. The avalanche has already started; it is too late for the pebbles to vote.

George R. R. Martin is pebbles.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Out of curiosity how many of the fan theories about ADWD ended up being true?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Out of curiosity how many of the fan theories about ADWD ended up being true?

Off the top of my head, all of the following were predicted or suggested before ADWD came out:

Qyburn is building a Frankenstein monster.

"Aegon's" reappearance.

Brienne survived.

Davos wasn't really executed by Manderly.

Melisandre is a fire zombie like Beric and Catelyn.

Fake Arya is Jeyne Poole, trained by Littlefinger.

Bloodraven is the Three Eyed Crow.

(Amazingly, people somehow predicted) Rickon and Osha are on Skagos.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

In It For The Tank posted:

Wait what?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Was this confirmed somehow? I always liked the theory, but don't recall anything definitive.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
That's not remotely true or suggested.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Mortabis posted:

Wait what?

Compare:

quote:

Lord Beric himself did not eat. Arya had never seen him eat, though from time to time he took a cup of wine. He did not seem to sleep, either. His good eye would often close, as if from weariness, but when you spoke to him it would flick open again at once.

quote:

Melisandre had spent the night in her chair by the fire, as she often did. With Stannis gone, her bed saw little use. She had no time for sleep, with the weight of the world upon her shoulders. And she feared to dream.

quote:

Some nights she drowsed, but never for more than an hour. One day, Melisandre prayed, she would not sleep at all. One day she would be free of dreams.

quote:

“Does my lady wish to break her fast?” asked Devan.

Food. Yes, I should eat. Some days she forgot. R’hllor provided her with all the nourishment her body needed, but that was something best concealed from mortal men.

So like Beric, Melisandre doesn't need to eat and she barely needs sleep. She is sustained by the power of R'hllor. It's implied that she's much older than she looks and that she wears a glamour (powered by the ruby on her throat) that would hide her age and any distinguishing wounds like Beric and Catelyn have.

Also, it's pretty much confirmed in the Season 2 DVD Commentaries. Listen to the Episode 10 commentary between Alan Taylor and Emilia Clarke. The following dialogue takes place when Melisandre rises after being strangled by Stannis:

Alan: "Sorry, I've got to interrupt. The way she stands up here she's sort of doing this kind of... she's coming back to life. It was something she did on her own. It's this very strange kind of, like, we find out later that she's not... entirely... um..."

Emilia: "Of course!"

Alan: "You know what I probably shouldn't say any more." *laughs*

Emilia: "Yeah, no, no, no, no, yeah."

Alan: "But standing up strange like that, it makes sense given who she is."

Emilia: "Yes, definitely, definitely."

Alan: "A cool choice."

Emilia: *sings the Twilight Zone title theme*

e: Here's the scene where you can see Melisandre rising and seemingly "coming back to life".

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 15, 2013

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
There's a gap about a mile wide between "don't need to eat or sleep because you're a zombie" and "don't need to eat or sleep because you're a sorceress".

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
I did like one part in that novel about Winterfell: the bit where he suggested Mel was being used by her necklace the same way she was using Mance with the bracelet. It works because she's a moron.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

There's a gap about a mile wide between "don't need to eat or sleep because you're a zombie" and "don't need to eat or sleep because you're a sorceress".

I disagree. We've met several warlocks and sorcerers and what not throughout the series, yet I can't think of any other who displays the ability to sustain themselves just through magic. Even Moqorro, who is arguably more powerful than Melisandre, needs to rest all day after tending to his night fires.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Wow, I didn't even think about the fact that there are audio commentaries on the DVDs. Those must be interesting.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
How did people guess Aegon's reappearance from SoS/AFFC? I don't recall any hints or foreshadowing of that off the top of my head.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tin can made man posted:

How did people guess Aegon's reappearance from SoS/AFFC? I don't recall any hints or foreshadowing of that off the top of my head.

There wasn't any. When GRRM was asked if Rhaegar's kids were dead he switched sometime between AFFC and ADWD from "oh yeah both of them are totally dead" to "oh yeah his daughter is totally dead".

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

tin can made man posted:

GRRM always played coy when people asked him about the deaths of Rhaegar's children, going back to before the release of ASOS.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1106/

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1189/

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

I disagree. We've met several warlocks and sorcerers and what not throughout the series, yet I can't think of any other who displays the ability to sustain themselves just through magic. Even Moqorro, who is arguably more powerful than Melisandre, needs to rest all day after tending to his night fires.

We don't know that he needs to rest all day, just that does. He also survived at sea on the wrecked mast(?) for something like a week or two without anything to eat or drink.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

The Damphair can also go without sleep and with just sea water to sustain him. Bloodraven neither sleeps nor eats, admittedly due to being a hosed-up tree.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

With "just" sea water. The ocean is full of life, CapnAndy, as you well know. The Drowned God created plankton and algae from his blood, and brine shrimp from his flesh.

On your knees, unbeliever. :black101:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Your Drowned God is a demon and I'll have no demon-worship in this house of the Seven :black101:

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

CapnAndy posted:

Your Drowned God is a demon and I'll have no demon-worship in this house of the Seven :black101:

The sparrows are lying again.

This is me making a King/Martin reference since King mentions Game of Thrones in Doctor Sleep.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

computer parts posted:

There wasn't any. When GRRM was asked if Rhaegar's kids were dead he switched sometime between AFFC and ADWD from "oh yeah both of them are totally dead" to "oh yeah his daughter is totally dead".

Which probably is just him loving with us all again because it's pretty clear Aegon is a Blackfyre.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

The Damphair can also go without sleep and with just sea water to sustain him.

It's weird that you don't even acknowledge this could make the Melisandre theory more likely, rather than less.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I was just trying to figure out whether reading fan theories is a waste of time or not based on past accuracy.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

TOOT BOOT posted:

I was just trying to figure out whether reading fan theories is a waste of time or not based on past accuracy.

It is a waste of time regardless.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

jsoh posted:

It is a waste of time regardless.

Yeah in a way, since it's just a poor substitute for having the next book in hand.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

:monocle: The more you know.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
So what you're saying is that she's not a 100% fanatic willing to drink poison just to test her god?

Makes sense.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
If the Blackfyre theory turns out to be true (I hope it does) then I'm going to have to take back everything bad I've ever said about GRRM because the foreshadowing for that is so subtle you need to be a sperg king to put together all the pieces.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I want to believe that Bronn is stage-by-stage living out the fable Varys tells about the sellsword in the room with the Rich man, the King and the Priest. He's sold himself to the rich man for gold, he's sold himself to the throne for power, the last thing he has to do is sell himself for something he believes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

DeepQantas posted:

So what you're saying is that she's not a 100% fanatic willing to drink poison just to test her god?

Makes sense.

Imagine the :catstare: Stannis would make if her illusion was at some point broken and that he had indeed been boning a rotting 100-year-old corpse or something.

• Locked thread