Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Huzzah! I made a small arena to battle hard mode bosses. Its three separate wood platforms, about 80 blocks long, at different elevations. I had found Skeletron Primes summon and the Twins summon item. To warm up, I summoned the Eye and sneezed. After collecting my loot, I hit B for all my buffs and summoned the skeleton. :ohdear:

Zipping around my platforms, I never went below 75% HP and only potted once. He was ridiculously easy. High off my conquering, I immediately summoned the twins after loot gathering. :smug:

Fight didn't go as well. I knew they were supposed to be harder but I made the mistake of bringing them both down to half health rather than focus on one. They both zerged me hard and my potion buffs ran out without me realizing. :smith:

I was using Golden Shower with Mana Flower, Harpy Wings, Bundle of Balloons and Obsidina Horseshoe. Mainly reforged to defense, though one item is +1% crit because gently caress is reforging expensive sometimes.

Guess I'll try the destroyer next!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Deckit posted:

Huzzah! I made a small arena to battle hard mode bosses. Its three separate wood platforms, about 80 blocks long, at different elevations. I had found Skeletron Primes summon and the Twins summon item. To warm up, I summoned the Eye and sneezed. After collecting my loot, I hit B for all my buffs and summoned the skeleton. :ohdear:

Zipping around my platforms, I never went below 75% HP and only potted once. He was ridiculously easy. High off my conquering, I immediately summoned the twins after loot gathering. :smug:

Fight didn't go as well. I knew they were supposed to be harder but I made the mistake of bringing them both down to half health rather than focus on one. They both zerged me hard and my potion buffs ran out without me realizing. :smith:

I was using Golden Shower with Mana Flower, Harpy Wings, Bundle of Balloons and Obsidina Horseshoe. Mainly reforged to defense, though one item is +1% crit because gently caress is reforging expensive sometimes.

Guess I'll try the destroyer next!

The lightning boots can keep you almost completely out of range of the twins' attacks on a skybridge. As for the Destroyer everyone says the golden shower is great for him so good luck :) That's my goal today, to get enough ichor to make one (I live in a Corruption World) so I can farm him for loot

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Lone Badger posted:

Is the Titanium set bonus as awesome as it looks?

The invulnerability? Yes. It does have limits but on my magic user I had the effect up often and having the ability to negate a hit every 5-10 seconds is the difference between full HP and dead in places like the hardmode dungeon when you first get there.

The Lone Badger posted:

Is the Titanium set bonus as awesome as it looks?

IMO full mithril / orichalchum is good enough for the Destroyer if you have a decent weapon. Tons of hearts drop during that fight making it relatively easy to keep your health high.
A good repeater with Jester arrows (gather those stars!) is a good start for the Destroyer, or a CAR with crystal bullets.

Your best bet for early-hardmode weapons involves exploring the underground Hallow, IMO. Crystal shards allow you to make the Phasesaber (a kickass sword) and the Crystal Storm (a badass machinegun spell).

Only bother with Hallow if you don't have crimson. If you have crimson, farm the ichor guys and make a golden shower. Make a mana(and health?) regen potion or two and then go obliterate the the Destroyer. Some health potions are good to have too. If you have a mana shackle you can forgo the mana regen potions because you'll likely be at full mana forever from it unless you're really good at dodging the dozens of lasers per second that'll be firing around the area. Golden Shower will completely trivialize him though.

Mana Shackles + Spectre armor set is going to get nerfed in to the loving floor at some point. I'm sure the vampire knies are strong and all but it's not (near)infinite mana+hp strong. :v:

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Finally got in some serious poopsock hours yesterday after the new update. Built out my floating castle to a respectable size and completely cleaned out the regular mode dungeon whilst stealing all thier furniture. I also completely cleared out Hell and stole all THEIR furniture. I think my favorite thing to do in this new updater is steal furniture. :iiam:

Looking for some suggestions on what to do next, though. I really don't feel like rushing to Hardmode yet. I summoned the wall of flesh and would have taken him out easily but decided to fail the event on purpose because I feel like dicking around in Regular mode more. Really what I want to do most is craft and find as many cool items/weapons/gear as possible before moving on to Hardmode. I read the thread with people talking about ice skates and lightning boots and goggles and wings and all this stuff and I feel overwhelmed!

To summarize what I've knocked out in regular mode so far:

1.) Brain of Cthulu on farm
2.) Cleaned out the dungeon
3.) Got shadow key, opened all the shadow chests I could find in Hell
4.) Found 3/3 sky islands, cleaned out everything from there

Tentatively before starting Hardmode I want to:

1.) Craft a Night's Edge
2.) make a Hardmode Eclipse deathpit under my floating castle

Are there any multi-stage items I can work on in Regular mode to craft similar to the Night's Edge sword?

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 15, 2013

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Mana Shackles + Spectre armor set is going to get nerfed in to the loving floor at some point. I'm sure the vampire knies are strong and all but it's not (near)infinite mana+hp strong. :v:

Nah, Vampire Knives beat out that combination pretty handily because you can buff them with Ichor Imbue Weapon and because you don't need to have garbage defense when you use them. I can stand on both berserk twins at the same time and not go below 495 HP with Vampire Knives.

Ichor adds 40-80 dmg per throw and you can throw multiple sets a second, so it's a pretty insane buff.

Read fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 15, 2013

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

If you're using vampire knives, why would you need full mana? Why would you really need anything else ever?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

MooCowlian posted:

If you're using vampire knives, why would you need full mana? Why would you really need anything else ever?

Vampire Knives are quite good but they're not the best in many respects (at least, not anymore). They're really finicky and prone to not working right in very tight quarters (the knives somehow collide with nearby walls before going anywhere), their damage is great but can be solidly outclassed by several things depending on situation, their range is pretty good but they do become harmless sooner than arrows, bullets, most spells, and even some melee weapons, and their life steal, while cool and useful, is not a massive game-changer anymore.

They're absolutely among the best weapons in the entire game, but they're not quite the all-encompassing superweapon they used to be. I carry them on my ranged blow-up-the-world build and I mainly use them to tear through chaff enemies I don't want to waste ammo on, or swap to them for pinch healing when my healing potions are cooling down in a tense fight.

In other news, the Frozen Key randomly dropped for me the other night, making that the second endgame key to helpfully fall into my lap within minutes of entering its associated biome.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Evil Fluffy posted:

What's the advantage of shackles over a mana flower? 10 gold for 100 greater mana potions from the wizard will last you a very long time with end-game magic weapons, and you don't have to get perpetually hit to use them.

All this comparing damage of the post-hallowed 1.2 weapons seems a bit silly to me though 'cause literally all of them will tear through everything the game has to offer.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I loving love when fish spawn in my fish tank

I guess I could stick a fish statue in there with a switch... I use my fish statues to farm gold though usually.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Terraria's 75% off on Steam till Thursday.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Tarquinn posted:

Terraria's 75% off on Steam till Thursday.

$2.50. Totally worth it. Except I've never played this and have no idea what I'm doing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Heavy neutrino posted:

He used to be really easy to kill -- you only had to take two hits from him with the Turtle Armor set to kill him. Of course Redigit saw that, wagged his finger, went "tsk tsk," and dropped his damage to 1000. Basically you get a bunch of people together, each equipped with the turtle set, place a spawn point right next to where you're going to trigger him, and die a lot.

The guardian still does roughly 10k damage when he hits me. Do you mean the reflected damage is capped at 1k?

Koramei posted:

What's the advantage of shackles over a mana flower? 10 gold for 100 greater mana potions from the wizard will last you a very long time with end-game magic weapons, and you don't have to get perpetually hit to use them.

All this comparing damage of the post-hallowed 1.2 weapons seems a bit silly to me though 'cause literally all of them will tear through everything the game has to offer.

Shackles have the effect of damage taken (before defense) = Mana restored.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 15, 2013

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011
Terraria: Low-Res Furniture Repo Simulator

Mana Cuffs + Spectre Armor + Invulnerability Cross Accessory + Spell Power Token + Mythical Inferno Fork = I will never die!!! :black101:

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(
Holy poo poo, I started farming for stuff to make the Ankh and I began on the dark mummies - within two minutes I got both the blindfold and the megaphone from one mummy. I read on the wiki that it was possible but when I saw it I thought

"Yeah right, like that'll happen to me :colbert:"

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Does the spelunker potion not show life fruits? It should, since life crystals show up, but I don't see them.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Hummingbirds posted:

Does the spelunker potion not show life fruits? It should, since life crystals show up, but I don't see them.

It does indeed.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Klayboxx posted:

Holy poo poo, I started farming for stuff to make the Ankh and I began on the dark mummies - within two minutes I got both the blindfold and the megaphone from one mummy. I read on the wiki that it was possible but when I saw it I thought

Assuming both drops are 1% and my math is right, it would be a 1/10000 chance or 0.001% for both to drop.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Klayboxx posted:

I've seen this happen 3 or 4 times. I don't know what the deal is but those items seem to love dropping together. It's like the 1% hits and the game just decides to give both instead of 1 or the other.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I think the drops for the immunity accessories are slightly screwy for the dudes who can drop two of the things. I've had pixies drop both the speed clock and the megaphone at the same time four times now. I think it uses one roll for the probability and both items use that one roll.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Akett posted:

I think the drops for the immunity accessories are slightly screwy for the dudes who can drop two of the things. I've had pixies drop both the speed clock and the megaphone at the same time four times now. I think it uses one roll for the probability and both items use that one roll.

I don't think so, because I've gotten only clocks before.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Tip for anyone trying to kill the guardian for his drop:
run a second set of wires on your teleporters that're on the sides of your spikey ball trap hall and stick a 1 second delay timer on it. Once you've teleported a few times and have him more than 1 second of travel from your current location (and a safe distance from the other teleporter) hit the timer and it'll teleport you back and forth every second. Once it's up and running you can just go AFK if you want to.

The only thing to hit me was a spectre and it wandered in to the traps after I got teleported and that was the end of him.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Akett posted:

Yeah I had this happen as well, never gotten the clock or megaphone by themselves, only in pairs.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Mental Midget posted:

Finally got in some serious poopsock hours yesterday after the new update. Built out my floating castle to a respectable size and completely cleaned out the regular mode dungeon whilst stealing all thier furniture. I also completely cleared out Hell and stole all THEIR furniture. I think my favorite thing to do in this new updater is steal furniture. :iiam:

Looking for some suggestions on what to do next, though. I really don't feel like rushing to Hardmode yet. I summoned the wall of flesh and would have taken him out easily but decided to fail the event on purpose because I feel like dicking around in Regular mode more. Really what I want to do most is craft and find as many cool items/weapons/gear as possible before moving on to Hardmode. I read the thread with people talking about ice skates and lightning boots and goggles and wings and all this stuff and I feel overwhelmed!

To summarize what I've knocked out in regular mode so far:

1.) Brain of Cthulu on farm
2.) Cleaned out the dungeon
3.) Got shadow key, opened all the shadow chests I could find in Hell
4.) Found 3/3 sky islands, cleaned out everything from there

Tentatively before starting Hardmode I want to:

1.) Craft a Night's Edge
2.) make a Hardmode Eclipse deathpit under my floating castle

Are there any multi-stage items I can work on in Regular mode to craft similar to the Night's Edge sword?

Try farming the Wall of Flesh in other worlds for his sweet sweet drops (and maybe to try out hardmode without making GBS threads up your new house). Some of his drops combine with other of his drops to make a nice accessory which has further progression in hardmode. Also clockwork assault rifle is super fun.

I also recommend lightning boots asap. All pre-hardmode ingredients and they're useful for a long time. Start with Hermes Boots and follow guide recipes from there.

Also check new worlds for pyramids. I'm doing this in between Plantera farming and hard dungeon.

Also fart in a jar.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Yeah I had this happen as well, never gotten the clock or megaphone by themselves, only in pairs.

I've seen the same thing with Ancient Shadow Helmets and Greaves. I've had them drop as a pair 5 times now and I've yet to see a single chest piece.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
I've just spent 90 minutes getting all pleased with myself at how much "titanium" I'd mined, easily enough to craft all of my top tier stuff. Now I discover that I was actually mining platinum by mistake. Again.

:negative:

Oh well I have found some mythril at least.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wow, the Twins hosed me up. I barely managed to beat the Destroyer with the Uzi I found and tons of meteorite bullets but once the Twins got to their 2nd stage they roasted me with their flamethrower.

I'm gonna build a skybridge and try that strategy.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

RatHat posted:

Wow, the Twins hosed me up. I barely managed to beat the Destroyer with the Uzi I found and tons of meteorite bullets but once the Twins got to their 2nd stage they roasted me with their flamethrower.

I'm gonna build a skybridge and try that strategy.

I recommend upgrading to crystal bullets also, as they shatter into three pieces and have a higher base damage.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Crystal bullets or cursed/ichor ones if you want to farm for those materials. They're all much better than meteor now.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
What are some good money making tips for pre-hardmode? I'm working on reforging my mage's trinkets for some more defense but running low on capital. I'm basically just working on a hellway for when I take on the Wall o' Blood and killing the billion firebats that seem to be enraged by the sound of a pickaxe.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The best way I know to make money is to farm the Eater of Worlds or Brain of Cthulhu, turning all the ore drops into bars, and then selling the bars. You can easily make more than 15 gold per kill, getting the materials to summon them is easy, and you don't even need to wait for nightfall. Killing one won't take you more than a minute since you've got hell-tier equipment.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mzbundifund posted:

The best way I know to make money is to farm the Eater of Worlds or Brain of Cthulhu, turning all the ore drops into bars, and then selling the bars. You can easily make more than 15 gold per kill, getting the materials to summon them is easy, and you don't even need to wait for nightfall. Killing one won't take you more than a minute since you've got hell-tier equipment.

Yeah I think boss farming is definitely the most efficient. A safer way I guess you could call it would be to get a shitload of obsidian (pretty easy to do) and craft obsidian skulls to sell.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

voltron lion force posted:

Yeah I think boss farming is definitely the most efficient. A safer way I guess you could call it would be to get a shitload of obsidian (pretty easy to do) and craft obsidian skulls to sell.

Doubly so if you build an obsidian generator.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
I don't understand what satisfaction can be gained from grinding for cash. Progression, the challenge of beating bosses, sure, but killing monsters for pissy amounts of gold so you can roll the dice on a reforge, gently caress that, im gon' cheat.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Reforging is one of the worse implemented features in the game. The prices are high and the rng can gently caress you over and over again. Some sort of predictable upgrade feature would have been nice (insert n amount of x material plus cash = specific reforge).

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

graynull posted:

What are some good money making tips for pre-hardmode? I'm working on reforging my mage's trinkets for some more defense but running low on capital. I'm basically just working on a hellway for when I take on the Wall o' Blood and killing the billion firebats that seem to be enraged by the sound of a pickaxe.

A jelly or glowstick farm.

mirarant posted:

Reforging is one of the worse implemented features in the game. The prices are high and the rng can gently caress you over and over again. Some sort of predictable upgrade feature would have been nice (insert n amount of x material plus cash = specific reforge).

Having the Discount card helps a lot.

PlotDevice
Oct 10, 2007

*For the Ghost Who Flies Through Space

BuhamutZeo posted:

Terraria: Low-Res Furniture Repo Simulator

Mana Cuffs + Spectre Armor + Invulnerability Cross Accessory + Spell Power Token + Mythical Inferno Fork = I will never die!!! :black101:

Seriously, for everyone still using Magnet Sphere get an Inferno Fork. It's longer range and does absolutely obscene damage. For maximum AFK during any boss ever get 2x Nimbus, the Frost Hydra staff and tape down your cast button on the fork.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

mirarant posted:

Eh I dunno I tend to think its a pretty effective money sink that lends a bit of variety. I mean you run out of stuff to use cash on pretty quick, and the difference between a normal item and an optimally reforged item is actually pretty minor so I don't really see a problem with it. If you just have to have every weapon be Godly and every accessory be Warding then yeah its gonna be pretty frustrating.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If it were my decision, I'd have reforging always give you an upgrade one tier higher than the one it has, but keep the specific upgrade random other than that. Then it would work just as well as a money sink, while making things notably less frustrating and making the fact that it's costlier to reforge equipment with better upgrades make more sense.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I went out to find myself a guy that's so much wiser.

Then I built him an entire biome by hand. In the sky. :black101:

I also built a mushroom biome off to the left for the Truffle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

How are you guys beating plantera? The only strategy video I've seen had the guy teleporting back and forth across a hallway while shooting at it but the battle took ten loving minutes. Anyone got a better strategy? Is it best to lead it to the surface or what?

• Locked thread