Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
This guy's log is just so :smith:. But somehow he's still happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
Well he did just break his personal sit-ups record and hasn't yet been eaten by a giant space worm.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ja2ke posted:

Weirdest fact: That's because Double Fine's business dev guy is actually named Justin Bailey.

Please tell me that there is a Brad Muir NPC and he is hard coded to be perpetually happy no matter the circumstances.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

During my first Base Attempt, my Life Support burned down, taking with it half of my crew. Everyone started panicing and ignoring my orders to build a new Life Support Room, by the time two guys managed to build new Life Support everyone else was dead.

Then my station got attacked by pirates. :xcom:

I love this game.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
So far I was able to fend of all pirate attacks. My heroic kamikaze security squad always aims for the walls and blows every one in the room out into space.
I am now going to test a setup with double walls.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

the panacea posted:

So far I was able to fend of all pirate attacks. My heroic kamikaze security squad always aims for the walls and blows every one in the room out into space.

Clearly they need an option to equip your security teams with PPGs.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Watching those idiots panic and not follow my orders that would stop them from loving dying makes me wish for an option to "equip" everyone with Battle Royale-style explosive collars.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

Please tell me that there is a Brad Muir NPC and he is hard coded to be perpetually happy no matter the circumstances.
If this isn't a bullet point on the design doc then this game is a no-buy for me :colbert:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I just ran into a weird bug. I was building my base, start of the game, when all of a sudden all three of my crewmen just dropped dead. All had plenty of oxygen and there were no dangers on the screen that I could see. All three just gone at the same time in an instant.

Must've been that space plague :argh:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Watching those idiots panic and not follow my orders that would stop them from loving dying makes me wish for an option to "equip" everyone with Battle Royale-style explosive collars.

Pft, too simple. Take a leaf from Dwarf Fortress's way of dealing with nobles dwarves who annoy you; if you have a game where you can construct an elaborate death mechanism, you should exploit that.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

So apparently you can't fight in space, and apparently space worms don't mind the vacuum. I discovered a derelict with a space worm in it. It killed my security guy and then stood around in the airlock, so I dismantled a wall and spaced the fucker.

Only he didn't die. He kinda flew to my current mining site and proceeded to kill both my miners AND my two new space chicken friends who wandered by, simply by tying them in combat until they all suffocated in space.

loving space worms! :argh:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wish there was a way to turn off derelicts for now.

My crew, especially Technitians and Security really loves flying over there and getting stuck in the Airlock and suffocating to death.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Just disassemble derelicts first chance you get. That's the best way of dealing with them.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
Is there some way of getting rid of the floors from the derelicts? Or are they going to stick around and look weird until the function gets added in?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I think the "Erase" option removes floors.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Bettik posted:

Is there some way of getting rid of the floors from the derelicts? Or are they going to stick around and look weird until the function gets added in?

After the walls and doors are gone then you can select them to demolish.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Ahhahahah oh man this game models some personalities so loving well. I just had a space cat show up who was his own best friend and loved to talk about himself. So of course I renamed him in honor of my own cat.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Derelict showed up, fought it out with a bunch of guys.. Went to destruct it and more than half my crew somehow ended up being sucked into space. God damnit.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Has there been any talk about a "targeted" release date? Or is it more just a free form "just keep adding/fixing stuff until we say its release quality"?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Space chickens showed up to tell me my base was offensive to their religion. I'd previously called their bluff, but this time it didn't work: I was attacked. I tried to sabotage their derelict by drilling through the wall, but they were out in space by then and I couldn't quite lock the airlock doors in time. My crew fought valiantly but everyone died, except for one poor woman, who then spent the next week alternately running in panic and stomping out fires, then camping out alone among the bodies of her colleagues until more space chickens showed up, this time friendly.

Now some space months later it's that same survivor woman (now a bartender) and 12 space chickens staffing a huge space station composed of numerous derelicts. Some other space chickens were also offended by the station, but they didn't do much other than boost my security chicken force's skills when they were surprised coming in through the air lock. It was a hard start, but it made us hard as stone.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

FYI You can actually build fire extinguishers, they're underneath the All Zones sub-menu. I got a pretty decent base size, with about 16 people. Finally built a pub and now the game keeps crashing :negative:

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

Bolow posted:

FYI You can actually build fire extinguishers, they're underneath the All Zones sub-menu. I got a pretty decent base size, with about 16 people. Finally built a pub and now the game keeps crashing :negative:

These are invaluable. They saved my matter processor from shoddy maintenance. Now Space OSHA requires them in every room, next to every door. :science:

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Valen posted:

Now Space OSHA requires them in every room, next to every door. :science:
And every wall. :magical:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Man Technicians barely even dent the wear and tear your base takes. Even my bar is bursting into flames every 5 minutes. I've also seemed to hit a critical mass over about 25 people. Anytime I go over that, someone inevitably gets a parasite in their chest or they go brain dead at the airlock and suffocate.

EDIT: Welp my base won't even load now. I even had individual rooms for everyone with a rug, bed, dresser,a plant and a monitor :smith:

Bolow fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 17, 2013

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I want to interface this game with FTL somehow and build my own spaceships and man them with crew from the spacestation and go on roguelike missions to bring back booty :3:

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Is this worth a purchase in its current state or should i give it a few months?

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

In my opinion there probably isn't enough right now to justify its price, but its got tons of potential. I'm happy I bought it now though to support Double Fine (and to show other developers there is interest in a game like this).

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Brain dead at the airlock is another glitch that can be worked around by de-zoning and re-zoning the airlock in question, in most cases.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7AtRtpU2K8

five pages and no-one's mentioned Startopia??

Either I've not read the thread properly or shame on all of you!!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Zsinjeh posted:

I want to interface this game with FTL somehow and build my own spaceships and man them with crew from the spacestation and go on roguelike missions to bring back booty :3:

In the devnotes one of the things they want to be able to do is to eventually have you send down away teams to a planet to recover artifacts, mine matter or just have fun.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

JFairfax posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7AtRtpU2K8

five pages and no-one's mentioned Startopia??

Either I've not read the thread properly or shame on all of you!!

Just finished reading the thread and this was my first thought too. loving SKRASHERS :argh:.

I miss Startopia. I think this might be able to fill the void. The merciless black void of space.

also chalk me up for the 'tried DF once and ran away screaming from the UI' camp. This looks much more comprehensible.

They've come a long way since the prototype.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Oddly enough, Startopia turned up on Steam a week or so back. Due to its age it seems a bit janky these days.

Orv
May 4, 2011

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

My recommendation would be grab a Double Fine game (Psychonauts if you haven't played it) during the upcoming Fall sale and then grab DF-9 when it gets a little further on.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Hotfix 1B posted:

Technicians now prioritize objects with lower condition.
Post-processing is now enabled by default on Linux.
It’s no longer possible to set a beacon for a number of Security duty citizens greater than the number you currently have.
Corpses disappear after 10 minutes of real world time instead of 1 week.
New options in Audio/Video settings menu:

Use OS Mouse Cursor: Use your operating system’s hardware-accelerated mouse cursor, in case you experience cursor lag.
Enable Post Effects: Enable screen post-processing effects for improved visuals.
Fullscreen: Run the game full-screen.

Fixed: Duty counts should only reflect characters who are citizens of your base.
Fixed: Broken refineries can still be used to convert asteroids into matter.
Fixed: Wrong graphic displays for broken Airlock Lockers.
Fixed: Time control hotkeys can trigger unsupported 0.5 game speed.
Fixed: Small seams between wall and floor tile art.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
On the roster screen, does the number of stars indicate the person's desire to work that job?

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

On the roster screen, does the number of stars indicate the person's desire to work that job?

It's their skill at that job, more stars = better.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

It is their skill at the job. [oops answered simultaneously!]

Also people get better at jobs over time so you can grow your citizens if you keep their assignments consistent.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
I'm confused then. When you go to the duty tab, there's a number next to each profession. In my experience this goes well past 4...as high as 8 so far.

Yep I just saw a guy's skill go up while and it was the value in the duty tab that changed. So do the stars on the Roster represent maybe satisfaction from working that job? Or perhaps aptitude for learning it?

Edit: OK I see, so it looks like the stars are also skill although they represent ranges.

Putin It In Mah ASS fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 18, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Oddly enough, Startopia turned up on Steam a week or so back. Due to its age it seems a bit janky these days.
This patch helps a wee bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

G Gzztchtk somehow took of his suit inside the base without going through the airlock after placing the oxygen recycler, and then the other 2 decided to try entering an airlock that only had an outside-facing door. G wouldn't place the inside door because he was panicking about low oxygen, and the two in the airlock got stuck waiting and asphyxiated. Now he's all alone mining on the base.

• Locked thread