Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

The Bishop posted:

Take the right door at the beginning, and continue on to the cargo lift. Fall off of the lift, onto the walkway, to the right. Proceed to enter the blue door three times. After that, I don't think there are any other branching off points.

Awesome, thanks! I missed the third blue door appearing behind me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I keep finding new things every time I play
This! I really thought I was done with this game already but I fired up the game again and am getting a bunch of new content just re-playing through the branches I've already done.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Lurdiak posted:

speedrun achievement

Idea: make it so the game spawns you close to the first choice. Take the right door and head towards the cargo elevator. Immediately throw yourself off the elevator onto the floor below.

Haven't tested myself yet but it could count as an ending!

e: nope! Doesn't work.

ee: found another random neat detail if you finish the route whereyou get to follow the adventure line. It will appear in a closed office on the ground, but only once it seems.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 17, 2013

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Man if you're not drinking wine from the bottle on zero hours of sleep playing this game right now, I don't even know what's going on with your hosed-up life.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Regarding the speed run achievement: In the monitor room, you can use the chairs and desk on the first two platforms to climb on the railings and drop onto the catwalk as it's rising. I saved enough time through this that I got the achievement.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ymgve posted:

So far I've found (Quite spoilery, but not totally revealing)

1. Close the door when you are in your office
2. Jump off the platform in the warehouse, killing yourself
3. Picking up the phone
4. Unplugging the phone (might be more endings hidden in here)
5. Jump off the stairs after the Pretty Colors Room, killing yourself
6. Walking through the blue door three times
7. Refusing to visit the boss, going to the basement instead
8. Taking the elevator in the maintenance room (might be more here?)
9. "Escape" through the long corridor
10. Turn the mind control facility off
11. Turn the mind control facility on (might be more endings hidden in here)

12. Broom closet ending (not a real ending)
13. Whiteboard Ending! :D (also not a real ending)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

TACD posted:

13. Whiteboard Ending! :D (also not a real ending)

How do you get that one?

There is also the "Heaven" ending, which you get after activating five computers with a different prompt over several playthroughs (just restart after finding and activating each) which is also not really a real ending.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Does the Confusion Ending actually continue after you find the schedule? It says my next run should be interrupted with another reset, but both times I've tried it's gone as normal.

Garbanian
Sep 18, 2011

GUUUUUURRRRLLLLL
Just curious. When you get to the part that says to speak the code into the receiver is there an actual way to do that, or is the only option to let the narrator go on a rant a few times. The subtitles being in red the 2nd time made me think I need to say it somehow, but interacting with the device does nothing

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

ymgve posted:

How do you get that one?
Sometimes when you restart, you start in a blue room instead of the usual offices, and you can open one of the doors on the left.

Also regarding the whiteboard ending, in the corner is written something like "console > bark". has anybody tried enabling the developer console and seeing if that command does anything?

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.

Dicky B posted:

Sometimes when you restart, you start in a blue room instead of the usual offices, and you can open one of the doors on the left.

Also regarding the whiteboard ending, in the corner is written something like "console > bark". has anybody tried enabling the developer console and seeing if that command does anything?

I haven't tried it yet, but apparently it makes you bark when you press the e key

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Turra posted:

I haven't tried it yet, but apparently it makes you bark when you press the e key
Hahahaha while you're at it, try sv_cheats 1

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
For some reason it won't even let me access the console. :( Tried re-binding it, too.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Should have mentioned, you need to modify the game launch options in the steam library. Go to 'properties > Set Launch Options' and add '-dev -console'

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Oh holy poo poo, there's another path if you drop out of a window. You can do that right when the game begins, with the two computer desks near the wall. The right one's chair lets you walk up on it if you hit it at just the right angle, then the same with climbing onto the table, then crouch and move on top of the monitor, the cubicle wall and then out the window.

This game. :stare:

edit: Oh my god there's a song, too!

Tecman fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 18, 2013

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I am trying to avoid this thread because I am bad at not reading spoilers, but I will say that I laughed out loud at the fact that this game has an FOV slider. This probably due to it being built on the Portal 2 version of source, but the idea that such intimate graphics details would need to be set in this game is a bit ridiculous.

Got the 430 achievement. Ran through the narrator's version and had a smug grin on my face at how well they mock the gamer by making the default follow the narrator mind control path the shut down the mind control device version. Is narrative dissonance a thing?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Tecman posted:

Oh holy poo poo, there's another path if you drop out of a window. You can do that right when the game begins, with the two computer desks near the wall. The right one's chair lets you walk up on it if you hit it at just the right angle, then the same with climbing onto the table, then crouch and move on top of the monitor, the cubicle wall and then out the window.

That was awesome. drat, now I feel like testing every other knee-high object in the game just to see if I can climb somewhere.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Tecman posted:

Hah, I actually managed to get up on that desk but I assumed it was just a glitch, so I didn't try to get further. If I only knew!

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Nativity In Black posted:

I am trying to avoid this thread because I am bad at not reading spoilers, but I will say that I laughed out loud at the fact that this game has an FOV slider. This probably due to it being built on the Portal 2 version of source, but the idea that such intimate graphics details would need to be set in this game is a bit ridiculous.
Not really. Some people get motion sickness with a small FOV while a wider FOV causes distortion in the image. It's good to let players find a balance that suits them. It's no weirder than a mouse sensitivity setting.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Haven't gotten everything yet, but did anybody else find the Ittle Dew reference?

http://i.imgur.com/EpxdF6c.jpg

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 18, 2013

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Tecman posted:

I never would have found this on my own, thanks. I did both paths that result from this and they took away my ability to do it anymore by deleting the whole first office section! Not sure how long that will last. This game is pretty amazing on how much it keeps changing itself based on prior iterations.

(edit) this seems to have reset some things that changed from prior playthroughs -- the boss' secret door no longer opens automatically for me and I can get back in the broom closet again. Interesting!

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 18, 2013

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Someone discovered yet another ending! (Escape pod) When you enter the boss' office, immediately back out of the room before the doors close. You can now go down the stairs again, back through the office, and the door next to your office will be open. Go up like 5 flights of stairs and you get to an escape pod. (Not sure if it glitched or something, but when I entered the pod it just showed a white bar at the bottom of the screen for like 10 seconds then restarted the game)

edit: Someone has made a chart of the "normal" 11 endings here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=186737430

Spoilers, obviously.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 18, 2013

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

ymgve posted:

Someone discovered yet another ending! (Escape pod) When you enter the boss' office, immediately back out of the room before the doors close. You can now go down the stairs again, back through the office, and the door next to your office will be open. Go up like 5 flights of stairs and you get to an escape pod. (Not sure if it glitched or something, but when I entered the pod it just showed a white bar at the bottom of the screen for like 10 seconds then restarted the game)
There's new narration after it restarts! Just exploring it now...

edit: ah, never mind. I just got one of the random office variants.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ymgve posted:

edit: Someone has made a chart of the "normal" 11 endings here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=186737430

Spoilers, obviously.

Yeah it did the same for me -- looks like it might honestly be glitched a bit, since the bit at the bottom looks like maybe the blast of the escape pod taking off? Maybe a video not being shown all the way. Pretty cool the amount of hidden endings in here.

any colour you like
Jul 19, 2006

Prying open my third eye
Has anyone gotten the elevator in the room opposite of your boss's office to take you anywhere? I can enter it, but it just shakes and plays muzak till i press a button in the elevator, but when the doors opens it's still the same room.

Here is a suggestion for a branch from one of the endings discussed previously in the thread.
In the ending where you unplug the phone, if you don't follow the directions when you get to the two door room (entering the right door instead of the left) the meeting room will be scrambled and you can see a door that seems blocked by a table in the path. On the left side there are a bunch of office chairs that works like a stair. I managed to get to the last chair, but not up on the table. After reading about the ending where you jump out of a window I started wondering if there is a way to get up on that table and enter the door.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Huh. Related to Tecman's discovery and ymgve's post, I tried climbing out the window on my way to the escape pod. No narration, but the same scripted pop up choice displays after waiting. Guess they disable narration triggers entirely when you take that path.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Dicky B posted:

Hahahaha while you're at it, try sv_cheats 1
I thought this was pretty fantastic, until I tried the suggestion below:

Tecman posted:

This is fantastic. This game is in my head.

any colour you like posted:

Has anyone gotten the elevator in the room opposite of your boss's office to take you anywhere? I can enter it, but it just shakes and plays muzak till i press a button in the elevator, but when the doors opens it's still the same room.
I think that's just another gag - you get in a lift, press a button and it jiggles around so you assume it's going somewhere; nope, it's just a jiggly lift-shaped room :D

I also really like how on the first playthrough, once you realise you can't open the office doors you probably assume that the rest of the office is not explorable, but with all the various paths you can take you actually end up going through most doors that you see in the first parts of the office.

I was totally going to spend the time pressing every single button in the Heaven ending, then I noticed them resetting a short time after I pressed them :(

Has anybody else heard the phone ring and got the message from Stanley's wife / girlfriend? I don't know if it has any deeper significance or not.

TACD fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 18, 2013

Snuffy the Evil
Oct 9, 2012
The Narrator has some more dialog in the room with the cargo lift if you step back off the lift as soon as it starts. :v:

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
My god. The demo made me believe this would be a quirky comedy, but (having played 'through' it a few times now) it has just left me unsettled and slightly depressed. I really enjoyed it. I just...I don't even...I feel like I need to spend more time outside now.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Noreaus posted:

My god. The demo made me believe this would be a quirky comedy, but (having played 'through' it a few times now) it has just left me unsettled and slightly depressed. I really enjoyed it. I just...I don't even...I feel like I need to spend more time outside now.

Yeah, the demo was definitely made to be humorous, but there was something really desolate and even despairing in the original HL2 mod. I'm glad that it's kept here too. There were a few places where things got unsettling.

I restarted the game once and the floor was just carpeted with scattered office papers. I liked that.

In the end, there is only a single note of hope in this game, a greater truth and majesty that can lift your spirit no matter how far it's descended into the dark.

I'm referring of course to the employee lounge.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I'm not sure if I've stumbled into the best set already or what, but the track where the (RIGHT, LEFT, DOWN spoiler PATH) narrator loses the story is hilarious. Especially the bit with this line.

I need to stop reading the thread before I spoil everything for myself too.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Not really a spoiler, but you can still type in 'facepunch' and have the whole game rendered in that one stupid texture, haha.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Mr. Pumroy posted:

It's okay.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
So does anyone know how to get the 8888888888888888 achievement? I can't seem to figure it out. :(

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Sardonik posted:

I'm not sure if I've stumbled into the best set already or what, but the track where the (RIGHT, LEFT, DOWN spoiler PATH) narrator loses the story is hilarious. Especially the bit with this line.
I think this was my favorite section of the game. The hilarious "onward to adventure!" music while chasing the ever more erratic adventure line through a twisted maze of corridors and filing cabinets, followed by the sudden music cut to examine an important fern. That entire thing was executed so perfectly.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

DarkstarIV posted:

So does anyone know how to get the 8888888888888888 achievement? I can't seem to figure it out. :(

There's exactly one place in the game where you can press the number 8.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This is everything I dreamed it would be and more. I love how there are so many throwbacks to the original mod beyond the basic structure of the routes.

I sat here thinking for a few minutes about what was my favorite part so far, but honestly everything is my favorite part.

Here's some neat/silly things I noticed.

In the Portal segment, the activation/deactivation noise has been switched.

I don't know what the condition for this is (I'm guessing it's doing the "do the opposite of everything he says" route multiple times in a row), but after doing that route a couple of times, the beginning office rooms' floors become completely covered with papers. And then an hour and a half after I began playing, the intro hallway completely changed, and was now an open area with a bunch of doors, one of which led to the usual pair doors.

The development process museum was fascinating, but did contain some spoilers for routes I hadn't found yet, but it was so worth it.

Someone before mentioned Antichamber, and boy does this take quite a few design cues from that game. It's a lot better for it too. Antichamber's a fantastic game featuring some of the best game design I've ever seen, but make sure not to play too long in one sitting because it may cause your eyes to bleed. Or head to explode. Which ever comes first.

In the so called "confusing ending", when you end up in the dirty wood paneled room, the waiting room sign from the demo is up against the wall near where you enter.

Game of the Year has arrived.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nativity In Black posted:

Got the 430 achievement. Ran through the narrator's version and had a smug grin on my face at how well they mock the gamer by making the default follow the narrator mind control path the shut down the mind control device version. Is narrative dissonance a thing?

They make that irony a lot more blatant in the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gblvOhnv2k0#t=6m44s (spoilers, obviously)

Although I appreciate that they added an extra irony in this version by having the path that frees stanley from his button-pushing job that feeds him fake happiness involve him only pushing buttons and then being told that he's happy.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 18, 2013

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Mr. Pumroy posted:

It's ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

TACD posted:

Not really a spoiler, but you can still type in 'facepunch' and have the whole game rendered in that one stupid texture, haha.
It's not stupid :colbert:

• Locked thread