Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I don't remember any character like that. I remember one so boring that even being a ninja in Siberia couldn't make him more interesting, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Justin_Brett posted:

I don't remember any character like that. I remember one so boring that even being a ninja in Siberia couldn't make him more interesting, though.

Yea, I'll be honest - I don't actually remember anything about the character apart from that. I think he may have been the one that killed the main character's parents as well, but I'm not definite on that. I just loved that the ninja was a guy running around with a shotgun blasting stuff and you'd only know he was one because he says it, rather than him still dressing in greys and running around with a sword. It was just nice to see a show acknowledge that even if ninja survived in to the future like that they'd actually change and upgrade with the times, rather than somehow remaining relevant despite living entirely in the past the way some shows do.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Kanos posted:

Excellent is a bit of a sretch. King Gainer is pretty fun and light hearted, but the characters are all really shallow and it suffers from this weird thing where it can't decide if it wants to be a goofy slapstick slice of life episode-of-the-day comedy show or to actually have a coherent plot. It's a pretty okay time waster but it's not remotely as good as Xabungle, which manages to have a coherent plot while also doing the goofy slapstick stuff really well.

I had a lot of fun with is. Plus I really dug the suit design. To each their own though. However quick jumping off point based on your user image, after finally watching Nadesico, it blew my mind at the small easter egg of Gai in Daiguard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gauli was an awesome character. If you found him unmemorable you should probably watch the series again because he's a fantastic straightman to the wacky poo poo going on despite being a Yapan Ninja.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Gainer is a far better straight man, though. He's literally only the lead because a villain was too dumb to reason that a high school student cannot be a veteran mech pilot.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 23, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I do love that one of the main villains motivations is "you'll marry my sister for knocking her up if it's the last thing I do" and that in the finale said sister appears and basically tells him "to gently caress off and leave it alone, she knows Gainer isn't the type to settle down and she wouldn't him to anyways", invalidating the guy's entire story.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Also his name is Assham* and he is both of those things and it is fantastic.

*Asuham, actually, but that's less amusing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Looks like the Raideen fansubs have resumed after a 2 year hiatus. And Dragonar fansubs too!

The past week or so has been quite the good time for old robot shows!

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The guy who was subbing Hurricane Polymar is going to be retranslating Ideon for EG. So if you downloaded the hosed up version with the shin-getter subs hit up theuniversalquantifier's blog for the new version.

http://secretninjaempire.wordpress.com/2013/09/23/space-runaway-ideon-episode-1/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Was shingetter really that bad on Ideon? I didn't remember that much out of whack, though maybe my threshold is really high.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Midjack posted:

Was shingetter really that bad on Ideon? I didn't remember that much out of whack, though maybe my threshold is really high.

Yeah, they were terrible. I watched that show when I was even worse at Japanese than I am now and I found it consistently jarring.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
After watching shin-getter's subs for Ideon, I felt like I understood what was going on, for the most part. However some of the subtler aspects (such as most anything having to do with the Ide) were lost on me.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Midjack posted:

"Look at the monitor to your right"

*All the characters look to the left*

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So I just finished reading Mazinger Angels again and I have to ask is Big Daitan from anything or was it and it's pilot made from whole cloth?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It's from a Go Nagai manga called Garla.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Is Dunbine good at all? The thought of a medieval fantasy setting with giant robots in a non-shoujo series appeals to me.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Is Dunbine good at all? The thought of a medieval fantasy setting with giant robots in a non-shoujo series appeals to me.

I liked it, but I wouldn't really say it's a medieval fantasy setting at all.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

SALT CURES HAM posted:

It's not particularly medieval, and while it's not Tomino's best work by a long shot it's still quite good.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Fair enough. I always heard it was basically Record of Lodoss War with giant robots and Tomino GRIM DARKNESS, so.

e:

Dunbine's wikipedia page posted:

armies of unicorn-riding cavalry armed with swords and crossbows

Ahahaha what the gently caress

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 25, 2013

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
After Aura Battler Dunbine you can move on to Garzey's Wing for more Byston Well action courtesy of Tomino (disclaimer: contains no narrative or setting continuity with Dunbine that I can recall beyond the name Byston Well and people using swords; EDIT: Also no robots, but there are Namor-style ankle wings). Make sure to watch the dub :allears:

THIS MUST BE THE PLACE WHERE YAMATO TAKERU NO MIKOTO CAME DOWN FROM THE SKY!

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 25, 2013

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Zero_Tactility posted:

After Aura Battler Dunbine you can move on to Garzey's Wing for more Byston Well action courtesy of Tomino (disclaimer: contains no narrative or setting continuity with Dunbine that I can recall beyond the name Byston Well and people using swords; EDIT: Also no robots, but there are Namor-style ankle wings). Make sure to watch the dub :allears:

THIS MUST BE THE PLACE WHERE YAMATO TAKERU NO MIKOTO CAME DOWN FROM THE SKY!

What did he ever do to you?

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

AzraelNewtype posted:

What did he ever do to you?

There's nothing wrong with Garzey's Wing if you discount the shoddy animation, terrible story, lack of interesting conflict and atrocious dub; who wouldn't want to know whether Chris will go to the class pool party or suddenly die from inter-dimensional shenanigans? (The link in my previous post provides ample warning that it is TERRIBLE)

I'm thinking about checking out a new (to me) older (pre 90s) super robot show and am having trouble picking from the stuff in the OP. I've seen and enjoyed Voltes V, VOTOMS (not especially super, but it's in the list), and Xabungle. Any thoughts?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SALT CURES HAM posted:

You could try Panzer World Galient, which is basically Escaflowne without the shoujo.

Also it has a :krad: OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2CiX6ArmsQ

Zero_Tactility posted:

I'm thinking about checking out a new (to me) older (pre 90s) super robot show and am having trouble picking from the stuff in the OP. I've seen and enjoyed Voltes V, VOTOMS (not especially super, but it's in the list), and Xabungle. Any thoughts?

Having just finished Zambot 3, it's a pretty good choice, it manages to be both a kids super robot show and a Tomino 'war is poo poo everyone dies' show at the same time.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 25, 2013

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

You could try Panzer World Galient, which is basically Escaflowne without the shoujo.

Oh my god this looks amazing. :magical:

e: nevermind, googled it

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 25, 2013

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

If you think Garzey's Wing sucks then you're seriously an awful person with no sense of humour. Either that or you have no friends and are a teetotaler because seriously, it's one of the most enjoyable things I've ever seen but it takes great humour or friends and booze.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Panzer World Galient owns, also make sure to check out the third OVA (the first two are just recaps of the series) for something different but still amazing.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Paper Lion posted:

If you think Garzey's Wing sucks then you're seriously an awful person with no sense of humour. Either that or you have no friends and are a teetotaler because seriously, it's one of the most enjoyable things I've ever seen but it takes great humour or friends and booze.

The fact that it sucks is exactly why it's amazing. :v: I already knew Garzey's Wing was supposedly in the same universe as Dunbine but given the distinct lack of giant robots in it, I kinda figured it was an "in name only" deal.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh my god I have to watch this show

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
The good thing to do at large anime conventions is to go to the "HORRID ANIME PANEL" and find an experienced person to guide you through Garzy's wing. God that show is in sane to use an old meme. The dub makes it like an acid trip.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Okay so I'm watching Galient and ahahhahahahaha what the gently caress is this show

In the first half of the first episode alone, there's been a lot of redshirt death, giant robot centaurs, a weird ball of light appearing out of nowhere to zap people, and a man who looks disturbingly like a giant penis coming out of a spaceship and being cheered by said robot centaurs. :japan:

e: Also Asbeth shoulder-tackling a baby thief off of a horned ostrich and unicorn wrestling oh my god

e2: Oh my god Jordy's nickname is JoJo. :lol:

e3: Oh my GOD the main character's mother was frozen in carbonite, this show is absolutely batshit insane and I love it

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 26, 2013

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Xabungle continues to be amazing.

Dialogue: 0,0:08:44.31,0:08:48.43,Default,,0,0,0,,Jiron! It's been a while. I'm gonna settle the score with you once and for all!
Dialogue: 0,0:08:48.54,0:08:51.26,Default,,0,0,0,,Horla! When did you take up the role of rival?
Dialogue: 0,0:08:51.26,0:08:52.26,Default,,0,0,0,,What?
Dialogue: 0,0:08:52.26,0:08:54.80,Default,,0,0,0,,Those are lines the rival character would say!
Dialogue: 0,0:08:54.80,0:08:58.43,Default,,0,0,0,,From today onwards I'll be the main character, that's why I returned!
Dialogue: 0,0:09:02.39,0:09:05.13,Default,,0,0,0,,This is a Walker Machine made specifically for the main character!
Dialogue: 0,0:09:05.29,0:09:06.16,Default,,0,0,0,,It's got plot armor.

No fourth wall to be seen. I assume everyone forgot about it after three days.

SantaBla
Aug 27, 2009
Robot Girls Z Opening (no visuals):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLgtuXosgIs

PV of the 1st Episode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC5S1ouR3R4

Old PV (If you missed it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uM2BW6Y5cA

SantaBla fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 18, 2013

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I don't know what the hell to make of that.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Who needs "Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Great-hen" when we have Robot Girls Z?

:smith:

I hope it's at least funny.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well...that...was a thing. I got nothing else.

Other than Baron Ashura still continues to be the butt of jokes/sight gags/etc no matter the continuity.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

A new era of super robot animation begins.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Who needs "Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Great-hen" when we have Robot Girls Z?

:smith:

I hope it's at least funny.
If it's successful, or at least turns a profit, this will mean better odds of having Great-hen, right? :ohdear:

I gotta say though, I find the idea of Doublas M2 being a girl with two hand puppets pretty hilarious.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Daler Mehndi posted:

If it's successful, or at least turns a profit, this will mean better odds of having Great-hen, right? :ohdear:

Give in to despair.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's not like Imagawa's ever been forced to leave a project unfinished before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Stop taunting me.

No Great-Hen is sad, but no more Giant Robo has been my proof that we live in an imperfect world since elementary school.

• Locked thread