Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

oh em gee bee ess posted:

Ironically I was made fun of for liking American football in school in Europe.

And rightly so, its terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

euroboy posted:

Football being a nerd thing in the US is so fascinating since its the total opposite in europe.

its either like hepcats, nerds or jock dudes that watch games and talk about how much better messi ronaldo etc. etc. is than whatever MLS game their watching is

it's p. weird

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

euroboy posted:

And rightly so, its terrible

American Football: the Jozy Altidore of sports.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Your Weird Uncle posted:

its either like hepcats, nerds or jock dudes that watch games and talk about how much better messi ronaldo etc. etc. is than whatever MLS game their watching is

it's p. weird

Yeah, the weird thing is all of the Americans who refuse to watch their domestic league, especially when the matches quite literally never clash with times of matches in their favorite European league.

Most people like watching the major European leagues of course but in the rest of the world it seems like people still make time to watch their domestic league, or in England their Conference South or Northwest Counties League matches or whatever.

Also, Jozy won't score this weekend, thassa fact.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Shrapnac posted:

Yeah, the weird thing is all of the Americans who refuse to watch their domestic league, especially when the matches quite literally never clash with times of matches in their favorite European league.

maybe they attended a game in person and were scared off forever by a capo shouting at them for not correctly Enjoying The Game or raising their section of the tifo that depicts all the players as joss whedon characters at the correct moment

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Shrapnac posted:

They do clash with college football and NFL though, which are slightly more populer in America than the MLS. European leagues start at like 7am on the weekends here which don't clash. For the majority of us, that takes precedence over MLS and maybe soccer in general.

I'm not trying to start a debate about american football vs soccer, just pointing that out.

And for the record, i've been to 3 MLS games this season. They are fun in person

Crunkjuice fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 19, 2013

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

Shrapnac posted:

Most people like watching the major European leagues of course but in the rest of the world it seems like people still make time to watch their domestic league, or in England their Conference South or Northwest Counties League matches or whatever.

Also, Jozy won't score this weekend, thassa fact.

yeah i have a few friends who refuse to watch MLS. i don't get it either, of course the MLS is a total clowncar league but its our loving clowncar league so why not go see a game?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Fans rejecting their local leagues and only caring about EPL and one match in Spain is in no way unique to the USA. In fact MLS is among the 10 best supported football leagues in the world. So.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Your Weird Uncle posted:

yeah i have a few friends who refuse to watch MLS. i don't get it either, of course the MLS is a total clowncar league but its our loving clowncar league so why not go see a game?

My "local team" would be DC United so

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Your Weird Uncle posted:

Agreed, I can watch A-League football without gouging my eyes out most of the time. In fact, it's a better standard than what Jozy serves up half the time.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Just for :3:

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

NinjaSteve posted:

Agreed, I can watch A-League football without gouging my eyes out most of the time. In fact, it's a better standard than what Jozy serves up half the time.

So is my local pub team mate

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

My "local team" would be DC United so

excellent point

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

NinjaSteve posted:

If the A-league blooper videos are anything to go by its amazing entertainment. Just because its poo poo quality doesn't mean its not fun

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Scott Bakula posted:

If the A-league blooper videos are anything to go by its amazing entertainment. Just because its poo poo quality doesn't mean its not fun

some of the best goals are scored in the non-leagues tbh, chubby builders scoring screamers while a couple of hundred die-hards go mental, scorelines that routinely end up 3-3, 5-2 and 6-4. Its where the action is at imo.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Jozy is the opposite of a chubby builder. I go soft as a dishrag seeing him on match of the day.

You've let me and my wife down. Cheers Jozy you shithouse.

Steves Asleep
Jun 5, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

Jozy is the opposite of a chubby builder. I go soft as a dishrag seeing him on match of the day.

You've let me and my wife down. Cheers Jozy you shithouse.

Jozy is clearly not the opposite of a chubby anything. Unless the opposite of chubby is massively fat and unfit.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

New mananger, a goal for the USMNT, and a trip to swansea.

Its time, jozy rising.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I heard that Jozy is riding the pine today?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

No place for him in the modern game.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
He's probably thinking about what he's going to have to eat tonight already. Rubbing his tummy and smacking his lips. Stop thinking about food Jozy you cretin.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

Now that Fletcher's back he'll be picking the splinters out of his arse

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it
it's not possible but somehow sunderland are even more poo poo with jozy on the bench

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
sunderland are the worst team in the PL by a decent margin and jozy still isn't good enough to start for them. Cracking a few lols here.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I wonder if Sunderland will make it to november with 1 point.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it
in the 80th minute, jozy comes on to rescue sunderland from 4 goals down

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Fag Boy Jim posted:

sunderland are the worst team in the PL by a decent margin and jozy still isn't good enough to start for them. Cracking a few lols here.

I had a wee chuckle.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

I'm hoping that Sunderland beat Derby's record tbh

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Was it Sunderland or Villa who panic bought Darren Bent for loads of money? If it was Sunderland can see them doing the game again in January. Not that it will matter

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Jozy should be behind Borini as well

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

did jozy score today

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

4-0? How many did Jozy bang in?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

glad to see jozy's level of skill is being adopted by other members of the sunderland team.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Ponce de Le0n posted:

glad to see jozy's level of skill is being adopted by other members of the sunderland team.

The ultimate teammates. They don't want him to feel put out

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm waiting for the official scoring chart before I draw any conclusions about how this match reflects Jozy's ability.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

yesssss

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hmmm, okay after seeing the chart I've come to the conclusion that Jozy is still poo poo and in fact was so bad today that he couldn't start for a team that now has one point after eight games.

I can't wait to see if Americans somewhere claim that Sunderland would totally have won that game that they lost 4-0 if Jozy had started.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

8 games, no goals. At this rate, Jozy will score 0 goals by the end of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!
Sunderland would totally have won that game that they lost 4-0 if Jozy had started.

• Locked thread