Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

xzzy posted:

I don't know what track events you go to, but if they're FIA sanctioned type events, you're going to outgrow 200mm really quickly because most spots you get to shoot from are going to have a ton of runoff areas in between you and the cars. In the long run I think you'll find that 400mm is the gold standard.

You should still buy a 70-200 though because it's a super lens. :v:

I shoot at Lime Rock in CT mostly, but even there I'm craving more reach at 200mm and they let you get right up in the action. That's why I was planning on at the very least an extender. Also part of the reason I'm wondering if I should stick with a crop body and jump to a 7D if it's that much better than the 60D since the price has dropped quite a bit in the past few months.

I have a lot of fun shooting with primes so I was even considering a 300mm f4 but I know I should grab the 70-200.

So many choices. None of this will probably happen until after the new year so maybe there will be a more satisfactory, affordable alternative by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

800peepee51doodoo posted:

e: ^^^^ or the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 OS!

I think the 6d would be awesome for car portraiture, especially night shots. I was very happy with the 7D's AF performance for the most part, although the tracking is better on the 1 series. I haven't missed the reach advantage of the crop sensor since moving to the APS-H and I'd be willing to bet that the low noise full frame sensor in the 6D would let you crop nicely. A word of warning on the extenders, if you go that route - 2x extenders slow AF focus speed by 75% along with dropping your aperture 2 stops. You can really only use them on f2.8 lenses if you use anything but a 1 series body.

Good point on the extender. And yeah, the full frame option would definitely be most beneficial for the still work.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

TheQat posted:

Can anyone summarize why the 1DIII is still $1200 used (same price as a new 70D with twice as many pixels)? I think I know in principle but it just kind of blows my mind
A 1DIV seems to go for about half the price of a new 1DX, and in turn the III seems to be about half again. 1 series cameras a different enough beasts that the question of merit versus a new 70D/7D/6D/other has no simple answer, and hence they can maintain price on desirability vs supply. My impression from a habit of checking listings of second-hand is that the supply of used 1DIV and 1DXs is pretty sparse, which can only help to keep the price of a 1DIII slighty higher.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

A word of warning on the extenders, if you go that route - 2x extenders slow AF focus speed by 75% along with dropping your aperture 2 stops. You can really only use them on f2.8 lenses if you use anything but a 1 series body.
I'm not sure anyone has ever really loved the x2 extender. With the right lens, the 1.4x can be part of a combo that is as good as anything else out there, and people will sing its praise. By comparison, the suggestion of using a x2 seems to be, without fail, caveated with a warning about slow AF and loss of sharpness.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I went to a MotoGP race with a guy that brought a 70-200 and 2x extender.. he tried to use it for about 30 minutes and then put it away for the whole weekend. It made everything too slow to get any kind of results.

To date my favorite lens as a race photographing hobbyist has been the 300mm F4. It was just a joy to use, everything that came out of it seemed perfect. A longer prime with a bigger aperture would probably be even more fun but there are limits to what I can afford. :v:

The 100-400 push pull came in a close second, for the same reasons anyone uses a zoom lens over a prime.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Pablo Bluth posted:

I'm not sure anyone has ever really loved the x2 extender. With the right lens, the 1.4x can be part of a combo that is as good as anything else out there, and people will sing its praise. By comparison, the suggestion of using a x2 seems to be, without fail, caveated with a warning about slow AF and loss of sharpness.

Well, I actually use the 2x extender mkII on my 300 f/2.8 about 90-95% of the time for what I do (birds and wildlife). The only better option available is high 4- / low 5-figure glass that I just can't afford atm. To be honest though, IQ and sharpness doesn't really suffer all that much; the main hits are to AF speed and aperture. There are some benefits, too. Having a hand-holdable 600mm with a 3m minimum focus distance is pretty awesome for what I do. It just doesn't sound like its a real advantage to sports shooting or really anything else.

Just for fun the other day, I decided to try out stacking my 2x and 1.4x tc's on my 300 (840mm!) to see how well that worked. Not bad really, at least not for web postin'. Here's a house finch in my backyard:

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Edit: totally meant to post in the camera gear thread guys sorry

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Where outside Verviers (hope it ain't Eupen)? If you're in Germany, any Mediamarkt might do for new glass. Their prices are aligned closely to those of dedicated photographers shops. The first party stuff is usually in stock (at least stuff like 24-70 et al).

Battice/Thimister Clermont :)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I ended up forcing it once more and whatever was jamming it came loose so I was able to keep using it for the rest of the trip. Now it's a bit wonky for sure so it'll be going in for repairs.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

If I'm on the lookout for a used 5d3, are eBay and the Canon refurb store the best places to look? The Canon refurb prices dropped a bit, so that's starting to look like a good option.

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

Bubbacub posted:

If I'm on the lookout for a used 5d3, are eBay and the Canon refurb store the best places to look? The Canon refurb prices dropped a bit, so that's starting to look like a good option.

I am always wary of ebay. Many people would disagree with me here and I am sure that there are safe, reliable ways to buy from ebay but I am not familiar with them. keh.com is a very good source for used gear. Canon refurb is very good - almost like new.

HELP!

I took the plunge and picked up a 70-200 f/4 IS. It arrived yesterday and I played with it a bit after work, the lens seemed very nice and everything was working well. This morning was the Baltimore marathon and it was a good place to test out the new lens. When I grabbed my 40d this morning it would not turn on. I tried a couple of batteries, checked the CF card and couldn't get it do anything. I put the batteries I was using into my 10d and it powered on and reported a full charge. Assuming the CR2016 was dead, I went out and shot with my new lens using the 10d. After the marathon was over and I was able to get out of my neighborhood I picked up a new CR2016 only to find that my 40d will still not turn on. I get absolutely no sign that the power switch has been flipped to 'on'.

Things I have tried:
    Different BP511 batteries
    Different CR2016 Batteries
    Manually moving the battery and CF card door closed switches
    Different lenses (50 1.8/17-50 2.8/70-200...)
    Different CF cards

Something possibly unrelated that I have noticed:
    Several of my batteries are no longer holding a charge. They are 3-5 years old and so I didn't think much of this until now

I just blew my photo budget by getting the 70-200. I could still send it back, eat the shipping charges and get a new body, but I am happy with my 40d and would rather have the lens than a body upgrade. Currently the camera is sitting with both batteries out.

Any ideas?

jsmith114 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 12, 2013

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

emotive posted:

I shoot at Lime Rock in CT mostly, but even there I'm craving more reach at 200mm and they let you get right up in the action. That's why I was planning on at the very least an extender. Also part of the reason I'm wondering if I should stick with a crop body and jump to a 7D if it's that much better than the 60D since the price has dropped quite a bit in the past few months.

I have a lot of fun shooting with primes so I was even considering a 300mm f4 but I know I should grab the 70-200.

So many choices. None of this will probably happen until after the new year so maybe there will be a more satisfactory, affordable alternative by then.

Hey Lime Rock buddy! I use a 70-200 f4.0 with a 2x extender on a 60D. However, especially with Lime Rock, there are places where 200mm is plenty. 400mm without IS is awful anyways without a good tripod. You can also take a look at their on track photography program.

Take a look at a small project I did at Lime Rock recently. I didn't use anything past 200mm for that.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3294359&pagenumber=32#post420468771

Edit: Tell you what, I want to go usually 3 times a year, the historic, and well, the now defunct ALMS and Rolex series. If you ever want to go to a larger event like that I'll let you take a look at the lens and extender to make the decision by yourself. Just PM me.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 12, 2013

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

jsmith114 posted:

Any ideas?

I don't think that's something you can fix yourself, if that's what you mean. Repair costs are likely to be about the same as a replacement. KEH has a BGN rated 40D for $235 right now and they seem to be going for ~$250 on ebay. Canon service will probably be more than the camera is worth, tbh. If you live in a bigger city you might check around and see if there's a Canon certified independent repair shop in your area or try getting an estimate from someplace like Midwest Camera Repair. If you do end up getting a replacement, you can sell off your busted camera to help offset the cost. People buy broken cameras on ebay for more than you'd think a lot of the time.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Gambl0r posted:

I finally caved and upgraded to the 24mm TS-E II (used, but mint from eBay). Tilt and shift on the same axis is going to be sweeeeet... not to mention the improved optics. Not so enthusiastic about the 82mm filter ring, though. I haven't been able to see how it will impact my Cokin P setup yet - I need to buy a 82mm adapter ring. I still have the first-gen 24mm TS-E for a few days until I sell it to a friend - Does anyone want/care for some kind of specific comparison shots before I sell the first gen lens?

Did you ever get around to doing a comparison?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

TheQat posted:

Can anyone summarize why the 1DIII is still $1200 used (same price as a new 70D with twice as many pixels)? I think I know in principle but it just kind of blows my mind
Compared to the 1DIII, the 70D has a couple of features that are superior: bigger screen, better video, more megapickles. But the 1DIII is a completely different animal aimed at a totally different kind of photographer. Higher FPS, vastly superior AF system, much better controls, better ergonomics, weather sealing, much better build and construction, more rugged, bigger viewfinder, two card slots, and so forth.

Given a choice between the two cameras, I would choose the 1DIII over the 70D any day, but it's not for the pickles. It's for the subjects that I'm likely to shoot.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I actually ended up getting a 70D two days ago, although at the time I posted that question I wasn't even thinking about buying a new camera :shobon: I love it so far, stunning upgrade when your last SLR was a 30D!

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I was thinking about picking up a 5D classic sometime in the future since it's relatively cheap for a full frame DSLR and I don't really need the more modern performance of the Mark II or III. Is there anything that I need to look out for when trying to pick one up since these cameras are at least going to be 5 years old at this point? Or has the reliability been pretty solid?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Mest0r posted:

I was thinking about picking up a 5D classic sometime in the future since it's relatively cheap for a full frame DSLR and I don't really need the more modern performance of the Mark II or III. Is there anything that I need to look out for when trying to pick one up since these cameras are at least going to be 5 years old at this point? Or has the reliability been pretty solid?

Look out for err99 codes or ask the seller if this has ever come up. I had a second hand 5D classic for a while that died a slow death accompanied by gradually more frequent err99's.

flummox
Jul 17, 2004
I want a shoehorn, the kind with teeth.

Mest0r posted:

Mine has been an absolute tank with no problems at all. The image quality is fantastic below iso 800; it does lose ground pretty dramatically to the modern sensors after that. There are a few caveats you might not be aware of:

There's no automatic sensor cleaning function. You have to get in there and blow the dust out every so often.
It won't tether with a 64-bit OS.
Automatic white balance is unreliable in indoor situations.
LED screen is small and not particularly good.
There's no Live View or video capability at all.
With a battery grip it's heavy as hell. It's the Les Paul of DSLR's.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Canon had a recall to fix prematurely failing mirrors on the 5D. A "fixed" 5D will have reinforced mirror mountings. Just google "5D mirror recall".

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
To all the people who own an eos m (ie, both of you), do you have an original canon EF adapter or a dodgy third party one? Can I get away with a $40 Chinese knockoff?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

BrosephofArimathea posted:

To all the people who own an eos m (ie, both of you), do you have an original canon EF adapter or a dodgy third party one? Can I get away with a $40 Chinese knockoff?

I tried a RainbowImag adapter and it wouldn't work, so I went with the Canon brand. I think some people have had better luck though.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
I really like my 5D. Coming from a new crop body to an old FF body has it's challenges though. No auto ISO, no live view, no video, dodgy auto WB, crappy LCD, metering feels more erratic.

That being said, the thing is a tank and outperforms my "modern" crop body in raw image quality quite easily. Handling is great, nice and simple. Great viewfinder, etc etc. No matter what I end up buying after this, I think I will keep it forever.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Google fails me; has anyone seen a good comparison of circular fisheye lenses for Canon fullframe? I have a Sigma 4.5mm but it's EF-S and so only good for the old 50D body - I'd like to use the 5D3 for building 360 pano virtual tours to squeeze some extra size out of my panoramas (though really if I wanted to do them pro with a fisheye I should buy a D800 or likewise for the huge mpx output).

Someone posted a wideangle comparison in here ages back, and one Russian lens totally murdered everything else in the corner sharpness category - were they true fisheyes or diagonal wideangles?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The higher MP count of the D800 is a nice bonus, but the real advantage of that camera is having 14 stops of dynamic range to play with.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Google fails me; has anyone seen a good comparison of circular fisheye lenses for Canon fullframe? I have a Sigma 4.5mm but it's EF-S and so only good for the old 50D body - I'd like to use the 5D3 for building 360 pano virtual tours to squeeze some extra size out of my panoramas (though really if I wanted to do them pro with a fisheye I should buy a D800 or likewise for the huge mpx output).

Someone posted a wideangle comparison in here ages back, and one Russian lens totally murdered everything else in the corner sharpness category - were they true fisheyes or diagonal wideangles?

I would think you would want to use a rectilinear lens for constructing 360 pano tours. The source imagery would be stitched together and projected onto a spherical or cylindrical panorama in post. Real fisheye lenses are great for stills and SKATEBOARDING VIDEOS but the inherent distortion would cause problems if you tried to use it as any kind of 3D projection.

In answer to your other question, I'm guessing the Russian lens you're talking about is the Peleng 8mm f/3.5. Another comparable (cost/performance) lens is the Rokinon/Samyang 8mm f/3.5 (the newer version with the removable hood). Optically, they perform similarly, although the Peleng creates a slightly smaller image circle. On a full frame, both lenses will be cropped a bit on the top, but the Peleng should be cropped off slightly less. The Peleng also has pretty lovely Soviet-esque construction compared to the Korean lens. Either one will probably be fairly sharp stopped down when it's basically like a pinhole lens.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Thanks for all the advice on the 5D! None of the pitfalls of the camera really bother me, the only thing that's kind of a nuisance is the fact that it uses CF cards. I'll probably try to hunt one out in a month or so.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Inf posted:

I would think you would want to use a rectilinear lens for constructing 360 pano tours. The source imagery would be stitched together and projected onto a spherical or cylindrical panorama in post. Real fisheye lenses are great for stills and SKATEBOARDING VIDEOS but the inherent distortion would cause problems if you tried to use it as any kind of 3D projection.

All the panos herein were built with the aforementioned 4.5mm circular fisheye / 50D combo:

http://www.newcastle-hospitals.org.uk/services/cancer_more-support-for-you_maggies-centre.aspx

The only trouble with this method is that with only 4 source images (plus zenith and nadir caps), the end resolution isn't as high as shooting 8 or more rectilinear shots... But on the plus side it's really quick once you have a handle on the procedure, I can shoot 4 cardinals, zenith and 3 tripod nadir patches in 30seconds.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

Inf posted:

Almost all image based lighting panoramics for film (used for scene lighting reconstruction and environment mapping on materials) are done with an 8mm fisheye on a full frame camera with special panoramic heads (nodal ninja, et al) and then stitched using special software like PTGui.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Sorely tempted to buy this and try taking it down to the local repair shop:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251359036380&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

If it works, its a $4500 lens for almost half price. If it doesn't, it's a $2000 paperweight. Talk me out of this madness.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

He's saying "no idea" but if he's selling it he's already gotten a quote and it was not worth it.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -