Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I took the deck from the first page, with the help you guys provided, to Game Day:

Deck: WW Ethereal

//Lands
18 Plains
3 Mutavault

//Spells
4 Brave the Elements
4 Dauntless Onslaught
4 Ethereal Armor
4 Gods Willing
4 Swift Justice
2 Spear of Heliod

//Creatures
4 Fabled Hero
4 Soldier of the Pantheon
1 Heliod, God of the Sun
4 Hopeful Eidolon
4 Phalanx Leader

//Sideboard
3 Immortal Servitude
3 Rest in Peace
3 Sundering Growth
2 Ratchet Bomb
4 Glare of Heresy

Display deck statistics

I went 2-1, winning round 1 against Selesnya Beatdown 2-0 and round 2 against Rakdos Control 2-1 before getting crushed by a super expensive Esper Control deck 0-2 in the finals.

I started playing again in July and this was the first time I managed to win prize packs, so I'm extremely happy that it was with a deck that I mostly came up with on my own, and that goons helped. It was fun to play, too.

The 8 attendance shows why this shop does drafts only, because those get really good attendance on Wednesday and Friday every week. But since the next Game Day isn't until March the Organizer said he might run Standard once a month. I'm thinking of trying to built Murder Goats next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

always be closing posted:

Have you tried any white splashes? the assemble the legion, and maybe reckoner to turn on the purphoros?b

I tired a white splash last week to try to get something to shore up the Fiendslayer Paladin/enchantment problem. It worked ok, but was a lot of stress on the mana base. Legion isn't a horrible idea, but Reckoner activating purphoros isn't what the deck wants.

Edit: I'll see about trying Legion on modo next time I'm on there.

YeehawMcKickass fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 19, 2013

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I tired a white splash last week to try to get something to shore up the Fiendslayer Paladin/enchantment problem. It worked ok, but was a lot of stress on the mana base. Legion isn't a horrible idea, but Reckoner activating purphoros isn't what the deck wants.

Edit: I'll see about trying Legion on modo next time I'm on there.

Im going to give it a try as well, noe what about hammers? 3 mana for a potential 5 dmg? Or must mountains be saved for throwing?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Mana hunger, you want all of your lands.

You on modo?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Mana hunger, you want all of your lands.

You on modo?

Alwaysbeclosing on modo, be on around 830

E -whats your tag?

always be closing fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 20, 2013

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

LLJKYeehawMcK

I might be able to get on tonight, but it probably won't be for another half hour or so.

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013
Deck: Do The Evolution v4

//Lands
13 Forest
7 Island
4 Breeding Pool

//Spells
3 Syncopate
4 Simic Charm

//Creatures
4 Experiment One
4 Gyre Sage
4 Renegade Krasis
3 Prophet of Kruphix
4 Elusive Krasis
4 Deadbridge Goliath
2 Prime Speaker Zegana
4 Cloudfin Raptor

//Sideboard
2 Spell Rupture
3 Bioshift
3 Naturalize
2 Enlarge
2 Dispel
3 Negate

Display deck statistics

Fixing up my Simic Deck for tomorrow. I got 2 more Breeding Pools and added Syncopates. Was thinking of adding one more at the expense of a Prophet of Kruphix, just so I have more counterspells to keep my big guys on the field.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

So, I got a chance to get some nice playtesting in with my Deck: Mono-White Enchantment Aggro

Basically went like this:

Match 1: Jund
Game 1: Made voltron of fabled hero, didn't have a lot of followup after the 2nd doom blade took it down.
Game 2: Managed to build up a solid mass of tokens and such with Precinct Captain while jund bricked.
Game 3: Killed a couple deathrite shaman then banisher priested a desecration demon for the win.
2-1

Match 2: UWR Control
Game 1: Played solidly around verdict, elspeth ended the game for me though.
Game 2: Did not draw any of the 8-12 possible answers for elspeth, lost.
0-2

Match 3: RG Dinosaurs
Game 1: Dealt well with xenagos, could not deal with stormbreath dragon.
Game 2: Turn 3 ember swallower, turn 4 monstrous and polukranos, turn 5 swing for 20.
0-2

It was pretty bad. My matchup against RG seems absolutely horrible and I have no idea how even mono-red is fast enough. I never got a chance to actually truly enact my game plan. All I got to do is every once in a while suit up a dude for solid damage. I don't know where to go from here on sideboard strategy or modifications I can make. Blind obedience is great against aggro, but I don't feel like I'd have a problem if I saw it. Or I guess RG dinosaurs is actually aggro?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheLawinator posted:

So, I got a chance to get some nice playtesting in with my Deck: Mono-White Enchantment Aggro

Basically went like this:

Match 1: Jund
Game 1: Made voltron of fabled hero, didn't have a lot of followup after the 2nd doom blade took it down.
Game 2: Managed to build up a solid mass of tokens and such with Precinct Captain while jund bricked.
Game 3: Killed a couple deathrite shaman then banisher priested a desecration demon for the win.
2-1

Match 2: UWR Control
Game 1: Played solidly around verdict, elspeth ended the game for me though.
Game 2: Did not draw any of the 8-12 possible answers for elspeth, lost.
0-2

Match 3: RG Dinosaurs
Game 1: Dealt well with xenagos, could not deal with stormbreath dragon.
Game 2: Turn 3 ember swallower, turn 4 monstrous and polukranos, turn 5 swing for 20.
0-2

It was pretty bad. My matchup against RG seems absolutely horrible and I have no idea how even mono-red is fast enough. I never got a chance to actually truly enact my game plan. All I got to do is every once in a while suit up a dude for solid damage. I don't know where to go from here on sideboard strategy or modifications I can make. Blind obedience is great against aggro, but I don't feel like I'd have a problem if I saw it. Or I guess RG dinosaurs is actually aggro?

Mono-white is just bad in this format which kind of depresses me. There just isn't enough card advantage in white to recover from control's one-for-one removal and green's ramp/swarming tactics. I've tried a weenie heroic deck, a devotion Nykthos into early Elspeth deck, and white Boros, and all of them suffer from card disadvantage. Unless you splash blue for Sphinx's Rev (which requires UU to cast), you really have nothing.

As far as you deck goes, I understand the theory behind Ajani's Chosen, but Gift of Orzhova does nothing for you. I would've mainboarded Hopeful Eidolon. It is a good one drop, and if you bestow it, you get a cat with Ajani's Chosen AND when the token dies, you get to keep the Eidolon as a body for chump blocking and for powering Sphere of Safety/Ethereal Armor.

I would have sideboarded only 2 Glare of Heresy at most, and swapped the Soul Tithe for Blind Obedience.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

AlternateNu posted:

Mono-white is just bad in this format which kind of depresses me. There just isn't enough card advantage in white to recover from control's one-for-one removal and green's ramp/swarming tactics. I've tried a weenie heroic deck, a devotion Nykthos into early Elspeth deck, and white Boros, and all of them suffer from card disadvantage. Unless you splash blue for Sphinx's Rev (which requires UU to cast), you really have nothing.

As far as you deck goes, I understand the theory behind Ajani's Chosen, but Gift of Orzhova does nothing for you. I would've mainboarded Hopeful Eidolon. It is a good one drop, and if you bestow it, you get a cat with Ajani's Chosen AND when the token dies, you get to keep the Eidolon as a body for chump blocking and for powering Sphere of Safety/Ethereal Armor.

I would have sideboarded only 2 Glare of Heresy at most, and swapped the Soul Tithe for Blind Obedience.

Gift of orzhova actually was pretty huge for me tonight since evasion and lifelink on one of my doublestrikers was huge. The numbers on Glare and Soul Tithe actually should be switched, 2 and 4 respectively. Soul Tithe was decent. I understand blind obedience and might find a spot for 2 of it though. The entire night I did not get to take advantage of any text on ajani's chosen. The whole voltron up a fabled hero is basically a crutch.

I dunno what I'm really going to do with this, tempted to go in the opposite direction and try to slam angels of serenity.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheLawinator posted:

Gift of orzhova actually was pretty huge for me tonight since evasion and lifelink on one of my doublestrikers was huge. The numbers on Glare and Soul Tithe actually should be switched, 2 and 4 respectively. Soul Tithe was decent. I understand blind obedience and might find a spot for 2 of it though. The entire night I did not get to take advantage of any text on ajani's chosen. The whole voltron up a fabled hero is basically a crutch.

I dunno what I'm really going to do with this, tempted to go in the opposite direction and try to slam angels of serenity.

Ignore enchantments. Just go straight devotion with Boros Reckoner, Precinct Captain, and all the big 2/1 1-drops. I can tell you. Getting Elspeth out on turn 4 is kind of nuts because assuming you can keep the Nykthos ramp going, you tap 6 tokens the following turn for Devout Invocation. :getin:

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Ignore enchantments. Just go straight devotion with Boros Reckoner, Precinct Captain, and all the big 2/1 1-drops. I can tell you. Getting Elspeth out on turn 4 is kind of nuts because assuming you can keep the Nykthos ramp going, you tap 6 tokens the following turn for Devout Invocation. :getin:

Yea, that would be super fun but with reckoners being 16 bucks now and elspeth at 28 it represents a bit heavy of an investment for me. Still trying to look for sleeper hits in there that I can get on the cheap.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Took down my game day juggernaut style. :getin:

I played RDW with Fanatic and Reckoners (not hyper aggressive 1 and 2 drops). Ran smooth like butter, and only came close one game. Fanatic pumping out sick 5+ spikes for 4 is just obscene.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
Welp, went 1-3 during Gameday today with my Grixis control, facing off against RG Ramp, RG Ramp, UB Control and Junk Midrange.]
Got stomped in the first match by RG Ramp, he just outraced me very quickly, and had big stuff to kill me with. Couldn't draw enough kill spells, and his creatures toughness were bigger than 4, so Mortars couldn't solve it. 0-2
Second match of RG Ramp was much better, I drew most of my kill spells, and the third game I outraced him with Desecration Demon. 2-1
With UB Control, I was overrun with Pack Rat the first game, and Demon in the second. 0-2
Junk Midrange was pretty fun and intense, although his tokens made by Voice did me in before I could draw Anger. 1-2

Overall I've been unsatisfied with Grixis, even though I want it to work, the main downsides of it is that it has no amazing card draw like Sphinx, and no sweepers other than Mortars or Anger, although most matchups I lose at are where those spells don't work usually, or I 2-for-1 myself and still lose. Was pointed this out by one of the better players in the shop, and I'll take in is advice, and I'm considering to go Esper or 'Murrikan.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

AlternateNu posted:

Mono-white is just bad in this format which kind of depresses me.

This is so wrong I don't know where to start. White weenie is a great place to be right after MBC wins a GP, White Weenie absolutely crushes the Mono-Black Devotion Deck.

Instead of making a bad nykthos deck maybe just beat down?

Deck: White Weenie

//Main
4 Dryad Militant
4 Brave the Elements
4 Daring Skyjek
4 Imposing Sovereign
4 Precinct Captain
3 Cavalry Pegasus
3 Celestial Flare
2 Spear of Heliod
3 Path of Bravery
3 Banisher Priest
4 Mutavault
18 Plains

//Sideboard
2 Keening Apparition
2 Glare of Heresy
1 Celestial Flare
2 Rootborn Defenses
4 Fiendslayer Paladin
1 Banisher Priest
3 Renounce the Guilds

Display deck statistics

Cavalry Pegasus is the slot that keeps changing, right now I like it better than Frontline Medic because it just sends all of your creatures (other than Dryad Militant) over the top, rather than just running into opposition.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GEMorris posted:

This is so wrong I don't know where to start. White weenie is a great place to be right after MBC wins a GP, White Weenie absolutely crushes the Mono-Black Devotion Deck.

Instead of making a bad nykthos deck maybe just beat down?

The problem is that it folds hard to Esper, Mono-U, and Gruul (both the devotion and straight GR versions). So while Red Rush and WW might be fast enough to take out Mono-B, they can't handle the creature destruction, board presence, and ramping pretty much the entire rest of the field does.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

AlternateNu posted:

The problem is that it folds hard to Esper, Mono-U, and Gruul (both the devotion and straight GR versions). So while Red Rush and WW might be fast enough to take out Mono-B, they can't handle the creature destruction, board presence, and ramping pretty much the entire rest of the field does.

My experience shows otherwise, but ok!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GEMorris posted:

My experience shows otherwise, but ok!

Really, it comes down to being able to replenish your hand. One-for-one removal doesn't hurt any of those other decks as much as WW because they have replenishment. Either through Jace AoT, Thassa's Bident, Domri Rade, Underworld Connections, or Sphinx's Rev. Hell, even mono-R has Chandra.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

AlternateNu posted:

Really, it comes down to being able to replenish your hand. One-for-one removal doesn't hurt any of those other decks as much as WW because they have replenishment. Either through Jace AoT, Thassa's Bident, Domri Rade, Underworld Connections, or Sphinx's Rev. Hell, even mono-R has Chandra.

The only deck I've found to be a terrible matchup is big boros. Its almost like white has answers for the other things you listed.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GEMorris posted:

The only deck I've found to be a terrible matchup is big boros. Its almost like white has answers for the other things you listed.

What does white have to take care of Planeswalkers? Or Supreme Verdict? Or the fact that even with nutter draw, you run out of cards by turn 4? Lifelink, First Strike, and Protection from Color X don't help you kill your opponents faster. None of your guys are immediately useful when you throw them down which gives your opponents an entire turn to develop board presence to counter them or just straight destroy them.

I love playing white. I really do. But this format just doesn't support them as a mono-deck.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

GEMorris posted:

Not that you're going to list them or anything. I'd personally love to know your plan is for a turn 4 Supreme Verdict, since White Weenie is a deck I can get behind. Deck seems too slow to just "Play around it" since I'd think we'd want to shut down the game before our opponents get to that critical Sphinx's mana.

Naturally, I ask because my local meta is full of UWx decks.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 21, 2013

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Boxn posted:

Overall I've been unsatisfied with Grixis, even though I want it to work, the main downsides of it is that it has no amazing card draw like Sphinx, and no sweepers other than Mortars or Anger, although most matchups I lose at are where those spells don't work usually, or I 2-for-1 myself and still lose. Was pointed this out by one of the better players in the shop, and I'll take in is advice, and I'm considering to go Esper or 'Murrikan.

I've really been wanting to run UB or Grixis control, but, the lack of sphinx's rev and supreme verdict seems to make it not good enough. I wanted to make it to game day to test out Chapin's Orzhov, but didn't get the chance. I really like where it is situated right now, although Soldier of the Pantheon is less impressive in a mono-colored format. Still, Thoughtseize, Fiendslayer, Lifebane, and Sin Collector make games 2 and 3 very good against a lot of matchups.
Right now I'm focusing on RB, Esper, and WB. I really like the style of these three decks, and am really looking forward to this format. I thought I liked Thragtusk for awhile, and chose to play him instead of figure out how to beat decks that played him. It didn't really sink in until rotation just how oppressive he was to the whole format (plus Farseek, although tusk would've been almost as bad without it).
American control is good against devotion decks and hyper-aggressive decks, since it has more ways to sweep the board. You want to figure out if there are more aggro decks or more control decks in your area to figure out which would should be played.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think WW has it rough against Verdict, because unlike mono-red it doesn't have the raw speed to get in underneath it, and doesn't have the reach to threaten a quick win even after a board clear.

Against more midrangey decks that don't wipe the board themselves (or use Anger of the Gods instead of Verdict) it's in a much better position than straight red (which gets outsized and is in a lot of trouble if the opponent isn't down to burnable range by then), but I'm not sure mono-white is the right choice in a meta full of Revelations and Verdicts.

Playing nothing on your turn 4 to leave Rootborn Defenses up doesn't seem optimal, but you kind of have to do it.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 21, 2013

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

AlternateNu posted:

What does white have to take care of Planeswalkers? Or Supreme Verdict? Or the fact that even with nutter draw, you run out of cards by turn 4? Lifelink, First Strike, and Protection from Color X don't help you kill your opponents faster. None of your guys are immediately useful when you throw them down which gives your opponents an entire turn to develop board presence to counter them or just straight destroy them.

I love playing white. I really do. But this format just doesn't support them as a mono-deck.

You play dudes, and anthems, and you turn them sideways. Its how you take care of walkers and opponents. You don't stumble on slow mana like everyone else.

Saying Imposing Soverign or Banisher Priest aren't "immediately useful" is a pretty strange thing to say.

Veyrall posted:

Not that you're going to list them or anything. I'd personally love to know your plan is for a turn 4 Supreme Verdict, since White Weenie is a deck I can get behind. Deck seems too slow to just "Play around it" since I'd think we'd want to shut down the game before our opponents get to that critical Sphinx's mana.

Naturally, I ask because my local meta is full of UWx decks.

Don't overextend, drop guys afterwords? You only need 4 power on the board before they have to wrath, play your anthems instead of a creature on turn 3. Playing aggro vs. control isn't rocket science.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I'm about to finish murder goats, and I'm debating about hero's downfall. Is double black to hard to get?

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I've been running Selesnya aggro since rotation, and the results have been drat impressive. I rarely drop matches with this, and it's already taken me a box tourney and a game day. Could really use some advice on the sideboard, namely what to replace the Gods with. They're just filler.

Deck: Selesnya Aggro

//Creatures
4 Experiment One
4 Voice of Resurgence
4 Imposing Sovereign
4 Fleecemane Lion
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Loxodon Smiter
2 Boon Satyr

//Spells
4 Advent of the Wurm
4 Selesnya Charm
2 Gods Willing

//Lands
4 Temple Garden
9 Forest
9 Plains

//Sideboard
3 Glare of Heresy
2 Plummet
2 Rootborn Defenses
2 Heliod, God of the Sun
1 Nylea, God of the Hunt
3 Unflinching Courage
2 Pithing Needle

Display deck statistics

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

jassi007 posted:

I'm about to finish murder goats, and I'm debating about hero's downfall. Is double black to hard to get?

In my limited experience with a build of Murdergoats, double black is more of a luxury than something you should get used to always having available when you want it. I keep Hero's Downfall in the sideboard against planeswalker-heavy decks but keep Dreadbore in the maindeck. That great decision is thanks to YeehawMcKickass, the OP of this thread, by the way. I just experimented and decided his way is best.

AndItsAllGone fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 21, 2013

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

AndItsAllGone posted:

In my limited experience with a build of Murdergoats, double black is more of a luxury than something you should get used to always having available when you want it. I keep Hero's Downfall in the sideboard against planeswalker-heavy decks but keep Dreadbore in the sideboard. That great decision is thanks to YeehawMcKickass, the OP of this thread, by the way. I just experimented and decided his way is best.

I agree that Dreadbore is better for the main, but I still don't run Downfall in the SB. I've found that Pithing needle does the job against walkers, plus gods and their weapons, and in rare cases it can be used for sac/draw shenanigans with Trading Post.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Malgrin posted:

I've really been wanting to run UB or Grixis control, but, the lack of sphinx's rev and supreme verdict seems to make it not good enough. I wanted to make it to game day to test out Chapin's Orzhov, but didn't get the chance. I really like where it is situated right now, although Soldier of the Pantheon is less impressive in a mono-colored format. Still, Thoughtseize, Fiendslayer, Lifebane, and Sin Collector make games 2 and 3 very good against a lot of matchups.
Right now I'm focusing on RB, Esper, and WB. I really like the style of these three decks, and am really looking forward to this format. I thought I liked Thragtusk for awhile, and chose to play him instead of figure out how to beat decks that played him. It didn't really sink in until rotation just how oppressive he was to the whole format (plus Farseek, although tusk would've been almost as bad without it).
American control is good against devotion decks and hyper-aggressive decks, since it has more ways to sweep the board. You want to figure out if there are more aggro decks or more control decks in your area to figure out which would should be played.

Thanks for the advice, and since I mostly face devotion decks and midrange decks like RBW, I'll take a try at Murrikan Control, especially since I have most of the pieces for it already (cheapo!) - is Azorius Charm and playing draw-go with Murrikan control good, or should it be a bit more aggressive?

Also, I'll be making some weird BUG Midrange deck that has Deathrites, since most of the midrange guys at my LGS have the Whip, and exiling their dude they're trying to recur would be so good~ - I'm tinkering with Jarad + Demon as well, because his ability seems really nice with it, and he can keep coming back.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>
Goat-chat:
If I am going to build MURDER GOATS, how much am I missing out by using Rakdos GuildGates over Blood Crypts? (due to lack of availability right now)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Man_alive posted:

Goat-chat:
If I am going to build MURDER GOATS, how much am I missing out by using Rakdos GuildGates over Blood Crypts? (due to lack of availability right now)

You'll probably miss out on quite a bit, actually. The deck is heavily reliant on red but you always want 1 or 2 black, preferably which can also tap for red. That said, it's a fun deck, so don't let a little inefficiency stop you from playing the best deck in standard.

I have at least 1 spare Crypt if you want to PM me to work out a trade. Or post in the trading thread.

Edit: and it's spelled "MURDERGOATS!"

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Are there any current decks that just completely hose UW or UWB Control? The only thing I can think of is basically building RDW and then splashing in RW duals for Boros Charm and Legion's Initiative. Obviously Chandra's Phoenix is a 4-of too.

Or is the best anti-Control deck just another Control deck? I'm sick to death of Supreme Verdict and Sphinx's Revelation and I want to build a deck that fucks them over super hard, if such a deck should exist.

edit: Here's a thing I threw together:

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 21, 2013

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

You'll probably miss out on quite a bit, actually. The deck is heavily reliant on red but you always want 1 or 2 black, preferably which can also tap for red. That said, it's a fun deck, so don't let a little inefficiency stop you from playing the best deck in standard.

I have at least 1 spare Crypt if you want to PM me to work out a trade. Or post in the trading thread.

Edit: and it's spelled "MURDERGOATS!"

If I'm building MURDERGOATS!, but am shy 2 mutavaults, what should I substitute?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Are there any current decks that just completely hose UW or UWB Control? The only thing I can think of is basically building RDW and then splashing in RW duals for Boros Charm and Legion's Initiative. Obviously Chandra's Phoenix is a 4-of too.

Or is the best anti-Control deck just another Control deck? I'm sick to death of Supreme Verdict and Sphinx's Revelation and I want to build a deck that fucks them over super hard, if such a deck should exist.

Maze's End Fog is hilarious against control.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yo. Sup.

The best way to beat control is to be aggro-er than they can keep up with. Right now, GW is way too good at that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

kizudarake posted:

Maze's End Fog is hilarious against control.

The Leper Colon V posted:

Yo. Sup.

The best way to beat control is to be aggro-er than they can keep up with. Right now, GW is way too good at that.

Could you guys post some example decks please? I'd love to see how GW deals with Verdict and Revelation. I mean I get that Smiter can't be countered and Fleecemane can become indestructible, but that takes 7 mana over 2 turns and he can get Verdicted away in between. What else does it have?

Also how does a Fog deck beat Control? You just save up all the fog effects for the single Aetherling and/or Elspeth swings?

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 21, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Elephant Ambush posted:

Could you guys post some examples please? I'd love to see how GW deals with Verdict and Revelation. Also how does a Fog deck beat Control? You just save up all the fog effects for the single Aetherling and/or Elspeth swings?
Best example I can give on short notice is my dream Bashy Naya deck. Dream, because it'd cost several hundred dollars. Online testing has shown that very few things can actually keep up with it, though.

Deck: Bashy Naya

//Lands
3 Forest
4 Hallowed Fountain
3 Mountain
5 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Stomping Ground

//Spells
4 Chained to the Rocks
3 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
2 Spear of Heliod

//Creatures
3 Boros Reckoner
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
3 Fabled Hero
4 Fleecemane Lion
2 Ghor-Clan Rampager
4 Legion Loyalist
3 Loxodon Smiter
2 Polis Crusher
3 Skarrg Guildmage

//Sideboard
2 Polis Crusher
4 Wear // Tear
3 Fade into Antiquity
3 Gods Willing
3 Fiendslayer Paladin

Display deck statistics

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

The Leper Colon V posted:

Best example I can give on short notice is my dream Bashy Naya deck. Dream, because it'd cost several hundred dollars. Online testing has shown that very few things can actually keep up with it, though.

Deck: Bashy Naya

//Lands
3 Forest
4 Hallowed Fountain
3 Mountain
5 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Stomping Ground

//Spells
4 Chained to the Rocks
3 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
2 Spear of Heliod

//Creatures
3 Boros Reckoner
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
3 Fabled Hero
4 Fleecemane Lion
2 Ghor-Clan Rampager
4 Legion Loyalist
3 Loxodon Smiter
2 Polis Crusher
3 Skarrg Guildmage

//Sideboard
2 Polis Crusher
4 Wear // Tear
3 Fade into Antiquity
3 Gods Willing
3 Fiendslayer Paladin

Display deck statistics

I think you meant Temple Garden instead of Hallowed Fountain. :)

Can you explain some of the creature choices? I really don't understand the composition. There's Fabled Hero but only 2 Ghor-Clan Rampagers and I don't see anything else that could target him.

Also, no Scrylands? Too slow?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Just in general, midrangey decks beat control by continuously dropping threats, every single one of which is a must-answer.

Drop a Fleecemane turn 4, which they Verdict before you can monstrous? Great, that's one fewer removal spell they have for the Smiter you drop next turn. They Detention Sphere it? Who cares, now here comes Elspeth. By forcing them to answer your threats 1-for-1 instead of building up card advantage you run them out of answers and then run them over with card quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Jabor posted:

Just in general, midrangey decks beat control by continuously dropping threats, every single one of which is a must-answer.

Drop a Fleecemane turn 4, which they Verdict before you can monstrous? Great, that's one fewer removal spell they have for the Smiter you drop next turn. They Detention Sphere it? Who cares, now here comes Elspeth. By forcing them to answer your threats 1-for-1 instead of building up card advantage you run them out of answers and then run them over with card quality.

Welp.

I've been wanting to build a midrange deck for quite a while but could never think of a good reason to move away from aggro. Now I have an extremely good reason. Thank you. I'll be looking around for other GW midrange ideas. I already have playsets of Smiters and Fleecemanes so it looks like I'm off to a good start!

• Locked thread