Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Wolfechu posted:

They do, but only after they've regenerated, and bump into themselves at anniversary specials.

Time Crash's explanation for this was cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I'm fairly certain that's what they did for the Doctor's Wife.

The Doctor's Wife used the actual 9/10 controlroom set. They left it intact for two extra years for that purpose.

MixxMaster
Sep 15, 2005

2house2fly posted:

Wait but do Time Lords age? The doctor claimed to have been pottering about for 200 years in the first Silence episode, and nothing that happened later seemed to contradict him. But the Master aged him with a laser screwdriver in the episode where the Master was prime minister. I'm sure there have been other reference but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

The Leisure Hive

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

2house2fly posted:

Wait but do Time Lords age? The doctor claimed to have been pottering about for 200 years in the first Silence episode, and nothing that happened later seemed to contradict him. But the Master aged him with a laser screwdriver in the episode where the Master was prime minister. I'm sure there have been other reference but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I don't know if the Master explicitly aged him as much as he made him look his age somehow, though I might have misunderstood the scene. He said something like that when he turned him into Dobby the House-Elf.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

MixxMaster posted:

The Leisure Hive

So that's what Daniel Bryan would look like as a Time Lord.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Metal Loaf posted:

I don't know if the Master explicitly aged him as much as he made him look his age somehow, though I might have misunderstood the scene. He said something like that when he turned him into Dobby the House-Elf.

The Master had also somehow suspended The Doctor's ability to regenerate, so that he would only age. Perhaps that's part of the reason, too.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

2house2fly posted:

For the Doctor to age physically in one body, from everything we've seen on the show would take close to 1000 years or more. Usually centuries can go by in a body with no apparent affects. Which is probably part of the Time Lord way of life...live 1000-2000 years in a body, get a new one, for a life of 15,000 or so years. Hartnell's Doctor was 750, and it almost seems as though the older he gets, the less aging affects each regeneration.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twoot posted:

The Doctor's Wife used the actual 9/10 controlroom set. They left it intact for two extra years for that purpose.

I thought the entire thing had been moved to the DW Experience by then?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Pretty sure that Confidential mentioned it was sent over almost immediately after that, and that it had been on set still since the end of Tennant's run because they'd had an idea for revisiting it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mortanis posted:

Pretty sure that Confidential mentioned it was sent over almost immediately after that, and that it had been on set still since the end of Tennant's run because they'd had an idea for revisiting it.

That seems kind of odd that they'd keep it around so long. Any word on Smith's old set?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It makes more sense that they kept the set around if you remember that The Doctor's Wife was originally supposed to be part of series 5.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Diabolik900 posted:

It makes more sense that they kept the set around if you remember that The Doctor's Wife was originally supposed to be part of series 5.

I guess that does make sense!

So, TARDIS chat:

Am I the only one hoping the classic set they built sticks around and is used at least once?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

Am I the only one hoping the classic set they built sticks around and is used at least once?

That console has been moved over to the Experience as well. It's virtually prop storage there these days.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
You are not the only one, rest assured. Hopefully the stick to strict continuity and show us the Sharpie writing over the Fast Return switch.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
A Couple of on set images have been leaked..

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-day-of-the-doctor-set-pics-spoilers-54189.htm

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Painting of older Doctors being part of the plot? Interesting...

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tomtrek posted:

Painting of older Doctors being part of the plot? Interesting...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

That's not a Doctor, that's Nick Cave. :colbert:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Nick Cave and the Bad Wolf

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Nick Cave should play the Valeyard.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I don't care who he plays, I would be over the moon if Nick Cave turned up in Doctor Who.

Maybe he could play an itinerant singer and do a rendition of The Ballad of the Last Chance Saloon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGHiew5fDZA

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Hell, he did a song for the X-Files (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gEqwagyV9Q), surely he can manage something for Doctor Who.

Stobbit
Mar 9, 2006
Why is this thread not exploding with news of the trailer?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loGm3vT8EAQ

Lots of cool things hidden in there!

Here's some:
http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/11-things-we-loved-in-the-doctor-who-50-year-trailer/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Stobbit posted:

Why is this thread not exploding with news of the trailer?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loGm3vT8EAQ

Lots of cool things hidden in there!

Here's some:
http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/11-things-we-loved-in-the-doctor-who-50-year-trailer/

Because we're all discussing it on the regular thread?

Stobbit
Mar 9, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Because we're all discussing it on the regular thread?

Ah ok. I figured, given most people in the main thread's aversion to even the "Next Time" trailers, that something like this wouldn't be talked about in there at all.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Stobbit posted:

Ah ok. I figured, given most people in the main thread's aversion to even the "Next Time" trailers, that something like this wouldn't be talked about in there at all.

But there's nothing spoilery in this. It's basically just a "look! 50 years of Who!" Trailer.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Yes, so it's not discussion for the Spoiler Thread.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Looking at the wikipedia article for the special, I noticed there was a character called Lord Bentham. For a second I read that as Lord Benton and got really excited...but alas.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Muppetjedi posted:

A Couple of on set images have been leaked..

Man, the old Zygon costumes were way better. Glad to see them return, but I'm worried they won't be as creepy as they should be.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Barry Foster posted:

I don't care who he plays, I would be over the moon if Nick Cave turned up in Doctor Who.

Looks the part!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tace Vim posted:

Man, the old Zygon costumes were way better. Glad to see them return, but I'm worried they won't be as creepy as they should be.

I seem to be part of the minority, but I really don't see what part the Zygons have in modern Doctor Who at all, and certainly in the anniversary.

I'm personally hoping they're there for ten seconds as an adventure that's finishing or getting interrupted.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm betting that's exactly what it is. The 10th Doctor is with Queen Elizabeth fighting Zygons in Ye Olde England and gets whisked away by Plot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

I seem to be part of the minority, but I really don't see what part the Zygons have in modern Doctor Who at all, and certainly in the anniversary.

I'm personally hoping they're there for ten seconds as an adventure that's finishing or getting interrupted.

Zygons are shape-shifting jerks who want to gently caress up Earth. That's better than most New Who villains right there.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Zygons are shape-shifting jerks who want to gently caress up Earth. That's better than most New Who villains right there.

Yeah but look at how silly looking they are, like even more silly looking than Daleks

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah but look at how silly looking they are, like even more silly looking than Daleks

You want the Slitheen back or something? Or that drat hing with all the faces on it?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

You want the Slitheen back or something? Or that drat hing with all the faces on it?

Not really :confused:

I think maybe for the 50th they should stick with just the classic villains like Daleks instead of bringing back any of the bunch one-shot rubbersuits, but I'm guessing Astroman is right and they're just back for a quick gag.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

But Zygons look awesome, like creepy giant fetuses!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

I've heard they were David Tennant's favourite monsters.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Bicyclops posted:

Oh come now, let Zygons be Zygons

thank you

thank you very much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Forktoss posted:

Oh come now, let Zygons be Zygons

thank you