Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Edminster posted:

Not really!
  • Go to the nether
  • tear down the nether-side portal
  • build a new one at the fortress (making sure to mark down the coordinates)
  • step through to get back in the real world
  • tear down the normal-world portal
  • take the nether-side coordinates and divide by eight
  • place new portal
Yeah it's going to be dangerous in the span between tearing down the netherside portal and building a new one, but it's better than trying to build a whole massive road or whatever while dodging ghasts and firebats. Plus the new real-side portal is only going to be like forty or fifty blocks away from where it originally was.

Isn't it the other way around? The real side portal would end up thousands of blocks away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
http://www.twitch.tv/mindcracknetwork?utm_campaign=live_embed_click&utm_source=mindcracklp.com

Mindcrack has been doing a weekend long charity marathon for Child's Play (80k raised so far) and a drunk GenerikB made an offer than for $1000 he would do whatever the donator wants. Now the MC crew is rigging his mansion with TNT live on the stream and GB is desperately trying to find a way to get out of this.

He is offering $1000 of counter donation to save his house.

Then Genny got fed up when they silenced the chat except for the donator who was not looking like he was backing down and blew it up in a hilarious "drunken" rant. After everyone kept firing arrows and blowing up more of the house, Genny was trying to say something and Etho managed to finally drop an anvil on him after months of trying.

Jaaski made the offer that if someone doubled his donation, he would allow Guude to roll back the server. Someone eventually made the donation.

So far Genny alone tonight has been responsible for 4600 dollars in donations:

300 he donated himself for permission to murder Etho.
1500 donated for him to to give BTC or Vechs their first deaths on MC in the most spectacular way possible.
100 to say the alphabet backwards (he failed)
1000 to blow his house up
2000 to roll the server back

And now he has made an offer to completely level his house for $5000, no roll backs, 4000 if the original guy does it again.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Oct 20, 2013

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Kamrat posted:

Isn't it the other way around? The real side portal would end up thousands of blocks away.

It is late and I haven't played Minecraft in a while, but I am fairly certain that if the nether coords to the portal is 480, -320 then the real side should be placed at 60, -40.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Edminster posted:

It is late and I haven't played Minecraft in a while, but I am fairly certain that if the nether coords to the portal is 480, -320 then the real side should be placed at 60, -40.

One block in the nether is eight in the overworld. One of the intended purposes of the nether is for fast travel between two places in the regular side. My server has a similar setup where the nether fortress is 300 blocks away from the original nether portal and putting a new portal inside the fortress brought us out thousands of blocks away from spawn.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
Well I guess it turns out I am incredibly retarded v:shobon:v

In which case yeah the massive pain in the rear end dodging ghasts and firebats to build a highway through hell is the way to go.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Edminster posted:

In which case yeah the massive pain in the rear end dodging ghasts and firebats to build a highway through hell is the way to go.

Get up to the Nether roof and just plow your way through up there above all the caves.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Notch and Dinnerbone are both playing on the Minecrack server live stream right now, just digging out land. Kind of weird and interesting in its own way.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

That all sounds amazing! Any chance there is a recording of this? I'm assuming that the various players will have their own videos for their channels, but it would be interesting to see it in its raw, undistilled form.

Chicolini
Sep 22, 2007

I hate cold showers. They stimulate me and then I don't know what to do.
It was really bizarre. Notch and SethBling got addicted to the Haste 2 that Doc had for mining out his mountain, then they all played Seth's Building Game together.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Klungar posted:

That all sounds amazing! Any chance there is a recording of this? I'm assuming that the various players will have their own videos for their channels, but it would be interesting to see it in its raw, undistilled form.
It is all available in one channel http://www.twitch.tv/mindcracknetwork/profile/pastBroadcasts

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Edminster posted:

Eventually, when I'm ready to actually go to the Nether, this is what I'll end up doing. I'm not a person who likes to just build lovely bridges and stuff to get from Point A to Point B, so I'll take my time to create a whole big thing out of the Nether and slowly work my way over to the fortress.

Oh and aside from the inconvenient fortress, this map also doesn't have any horses closeby, which kinda sucks. Still, this seed is the best fit I've found so far for what I want in a world, so I think I'm going to stick with it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Word of advice for anyone planning on buying a new license for Minecraft just to change your profile name. Don't do it. Every name in the universe has already been taken. :(

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Jamesman posted:

Word of advice for anyone planning on buying a new license for Minecraft just to change your profile name. Don't do it. Every name in the universe has already been taken. :(

Why would you buy a second account when their account personnel are working on allowing you to change names for free?

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
poo poo, seriously?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Updating a value in a database is quite difficult, I'm sure we will get several related but not quite what we want features in the next decade to compensate for the lack of a simple in-game name update form.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
In two versions you will have the option to add and remove punctuation marks and a checkbox to convert all your spaces to underscores and vice versa.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Enzer posted:

Why would you buy a second account when their account personnel are working on allowing you to change names for free?

I had my reasons. I don't anymore.

Back to playing with my blocks.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Enzer posted:

Haha yeah man, just any day now. Their account personnel are working on all these great new features that'll come aaannnny day now.

I'm pretty sure they've been promising this for 3 years.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Jamesman posted:

I discovered this when I bought an account for a family friend the other day, I think we must have sat there are tried something like 50 combinations before one got accepted...probably didn't help that they were all related to Zelda, Batman, or various dinosaur breeds though. (She legitimately has Asperger's, and unsurprisingly has been obsessed with the game ever since I showed it to her...now I get my computer back, and the addiction becomes her mom's problem. :))

I'm glad I got onboard with the game early and all, but sometimes I feel bad about snagging a cool name like 'Legendary' when I am objectively bad at building things and play only sporadically. (on Peaceful because I'm a big baby and gently caress spiders and that horrible sound they make) v:shobon:v

...of course then I remember how terrible the Minecraft community is and quickly get over any misplaced feelings of pity.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fallom posted:

Haha yeah man, just any day now. Their account personnel are working on all these great new features that'll come aaannnny day now.

True, but one of the strange things that seems to be happening lately is poo poo actually getting done.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Fallom posted:

Sylink posted:

Updating a value in a database is quite difficult, I'm sure we will get several related but not quite what we want features in the next decade to compensate for the lack of a simple in-game name update form.

There is a lot of things they need to take into account. Firstly, they have to get users to switch over to a new log in system, which they have been doing with Mojang accounts. This ties your login to an email instead of a username since they have been using your ingame name as your account login for years, with millions of sales that is a loving ton of people to get migrated over. That said, it is not too big an issue, your are correct, but it does make the actual implementation messy when not everyone is on the same goddamn account system.

However, the biggest hurdle they have been working on is multiplayer server security. Most servers rely on a whitelist/graylist/blacklist system to allow/augment rights or ban players. Giving players the ability to change their name not only subverts this security feature entirely, but also invalidates important lists such as MCBans which a lot of public server owners rely on.

The MC dev team has been working on a UUID format as well as a system that will auto convert peoples pre-existing ban lists. There is strong indication that this system is almost done, in fact Dinnerbone stated last month that the 1.7 snapshot includes part of the UUID system. My bet is that if it isn't part of 1.7, it will be part of 1.8, or released as a standalone thing. We will probably hear about it next month at Minecon at the very least since it gets brought up every year. Either way, waiting a bit for this feature is probably better than buying the game again.

I really don't know why people keep bashing the dev team, they've been kicking rear end in regards to doing massive loving overhauls of the game (render engine, sound engine, lighting engine have all been rewritten from scratch in the last few months for example). :confused:

VVVV
That is what I assumed. Just seems funny sometimes, like people still think we are back in the days of Notch going "gently caress it" to actually implementing something correctly because he is either poo poo at codding or, as he has admitted before, doing it properly was such a "daunting" task that it triggered his laziness.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Oct 21, 2013

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Enzer posted:

I really don't know why people keep bashing the dev team, they've been kicking rear end in regards to doing massive loving overhauls of the game (render engine, sound engine, lighting engine have all been rewritten from scratch in the last few months for example). :confused:

I think it's just a holdover from a year or so back when meaningful updates were slow. This thread saw frequent and legitimate complaints. I don't think anyone could deny that they've done a loving barnstorming job recently. All the poo poo people used to moan about has been addressed one by one, many of the features people have requested endlessly have been added one by one. Sure there is still some fundamental stuff on the to-do list, but god drat Jeb and Dinnerbone and co have been doing solid work. Huge respect to them, they are good people.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
There was a website, I think I saw it around when minecraft 1.1 was being released, where you could enter two minecraft versions and compare them. It went basically as far as you could to compare them without actively decompiling the source files, including not just new textures and block/item ids, but full diffs of the class files. You could put in every version from beta 1.0 and above, even pre-releases and snapshots. Does anybody know of anything like this? I swear it existed but never wrote down the name.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Would anybody be interested in setting up some games of Seth Bling's The Building Game? It's basically broken picture telephone in Minecraft. You can get the map here: http://sethbling.com/TheBuildingGame

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Enzer posted:

There is a lot of things they need to take into account. Firstly, they have to get users to switch over to a new log in system, which they have been doing with Mojang accounts. This ties your login to an email instead of a username since they have been using your ingame name as your account login for years, with millions of sales that is a loving ton of people to get migrated over. That said, it is not too big an issue, your are correct, but it does make the actual implementation messy when not everyone is on the same goddamn account system.

However, the biggest hurdle they have been working on is multiplayer server security. Most servers rely on a whitelist/graylist/blacklist system to allow/augment rights or ban players. Giving players the ability to change their name not only subverts this security feature entirely, but also invalidates important lists such as MCBans which a lot of public server owners rely on.

The MC dev team has been working on a UUID format as well as a system that will auto convert peoples pre-existing ban lists. There is strong indication that this system is almost done, in fact Dinnerbone stated last month that the 1.7 snapshot includes part of the UUID system. My bet is that if it isn't part of 1.7, it will be part of 1.8, or released as a standalone thing. We will probably hear about it next month at Minecon at the very least since it gets brought up every year. Either way, waiting a bit for this feature is probably better than buying the game again.

VVVV
That is what I assumed. Just seems funny sometimes, like people still think we are back in the days of Notch going "gently caress it" to actually implementing something correctly because he is either poo poo at codding or, as he has admitted before, doing it properly was such a "daunting" task that it triggered his laziness.

Yeah man you're right Minecraft is so revolutionary with its 'ability to change name but keep the internal user ID the same so ban lists don't have to be updated' feature, I'm sure that no other program has a system like that so its understandable for them to take 3 years to develop it since its all new technology!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

AllisonByProxy posted:

Would anybody be interested in setting up some games of Seth Bling's The Building Game? It's basically broken picture telephone in Minecraft. You can get the map here: http://sethbling.com/TheBuildingGame

This is absolutely hilarious and a great idea for a minigame.

Would probably have to add a rule of no phallic objects once the first game of 7 dongs finishes :v:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

ChewyLSB posted:

Yeah man you're right Minecraft is so revolutionary with its 'ability to change name but keep the internal user ID the same so ban lists don't have to be updated' feature, I'm sure that no other program has a system like that so its understandable for them to take 3 years to develop it since its all new technology!

Or, you know, its taken them about a year from when the current devs stated they started developing it alongside major revisions, refactors and rewriting of core engines. Notch saying that it will be a feature in the future never meant he actually looked at it himself, same poo poo as his promise of an API. God forbid the current devs have had their hands full trying to fix his mess and god forbid it takes time to develop and implement systems. Nah, lets just continue to be angry about poo poo some guy promised who hasn't worked on the game in two years, because making GBS threads on people who have to clean up the mess makes us edgy and cool. :jerkbag:

Enzer fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 21, 2013

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So this just popped up on steam. How is this not exactly just a Minecraft mod? :psyduck:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

By virtue of not being a Minecraft mod? You question doesn't make any sense.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It seems more like a roguelike with MC-like visuals. I'm not seeing any mining or crafting, at least.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

No don't you see, pixels + first person is always a minecraft mod/clone!

Dumb questions aside, the video for the game looks pretty interesting so thanks for alerting it to me in a roundabout way.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Demiurge4 posted:

So this just popped up on steam. How is this not exactly just a Minecraft mod? :psyduck:

Dude I know right? It's like back in the day how every game that involved a character moving from left to right and jumping on platforms was a Mario mod! :dogout:

Eldritch is fun, if very very short. I hope the developer adds more content. Also, The fact that you lose all 3 gems if you die in the 4th world is loving brutal and I haven't played it since this happened to me.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Early snapshot this week. Things of note:

-Jukeboxes now loop and the game can now properly handle multiple songs playing at once.

-Saplings for Acacia and "Roofed Oak" are now available. They currently use copied textures of Jungle and Spruce, but they still separate textures (meaning that even if the devs do not give them more unique textures, texture artist can). They also have their own leaf blocks. Roofed Oaks grow similar to jungle trees (minus the jungle tree mini version) in that you need to put the saplings down in a 2x2 area. Currently they now turn into oak planks, unsure if they will change that before 1.7 is out, in the future, or not at all.

-Added /setworldspawn <x> <y> <z> to set the world's default spawn point.

-Ton of bug fixes.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 21, 2013

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think a blocky ode-to-Lovecraft dungeon crawler sounds pretty neat, actually. Minecraft didn't invent the "everything is blocky voxels and pixels" art style y'know.

Enzer posted:

-Saplings for Acacia and "Roofed Oak" are now available. They currently use copied textures of Jungle and Spruce, but they still separate textures (meaning that even if the devs do not give them more unique textures, texture artist can). They also have their own leaf blocks. Roofed Oaks grow similar to jungle trees (minus the jungle tree mini version) in that you need to put the saplings down in a 2x2 area.

Holy crap more tree types. :allears:

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

Bought this the first day it was available from the developer and beat it from start to finish on my first try. Enemies have sight cones and can hear sounds and have other basic behaviors, crouching puts you in stealth and allows you to move through 1-high passages, crouching while sprinting lets you power slide a la Mirrors Edge, you can mantle over objects you can jump and reach the lip of, and attacking unaware enemies deals double damage. You've got slots for equippable artifacts that change your abilities or grant you new ones, and you can pray at shrines to receive magic powers. It's a first person roguelike that replaces turn-based high stakes strategy with the means to steamroll everything in your path via entertaining but ludicrously powerful abilities. There's only one "building" power in the game, and it's a spell you can use to make magic blocks for stepping across gaps and stuff.
The only thing it has in common with Minecraft is the 3D developer art. Even then, Eldritch has a better sense of design. It's a shame it's so short/small/easy.

Edit: If Minecraft borrowed the traps and movement mechanics from Eldritch I'd be pretty pleased. They'd be wasted without massive complex ruins being generated basically everywhere though.

Cephalocidal fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 21, 2013

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Enzer posted:

-Added /setworldspawn <x> <y> <z> to set the world's default spawn point.
gently caress yes.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Kind of bummed that all of this overworld stuff is being added without any changes to underground terrain generation. I hope adding random dungeons and other underground biomes is still on the table (since I thought above ground changes were off the table to begin with.)

The game needs some more mobs for all these biome expansions. Villages also need to be more useful.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

ToastyPotato posted:

Kind of bummed that all of this overworld stuff is being added without any changes to underground terrain generation. I hope adding random dungeons and other underground biomes is still on the table (since I thought above ground changes were off the table to begin with.)

The game needs some more mobs for all these biome expansions. Villages also need to be more useful.

They'll add new underground generation and ores and biome mobs and stuff in 1.8, and then you'll have to make a new world again. Don't worry.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Jamesman posted:

They'll add new underground generation and ores and biome mobs and stuff in 1.8, and then you'll have to make a new world again. Don't worry.

Why would I have to start over instead of just walking into the distance and finding the new stuff like always? That's what I am going to have to do in 1.7 anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

Why would I have to start over instead of just walking into the distance and finding the new stuff like always? That's what I am going to have to do in 1.7 anyway.

It causes ugly world tears in generation that a lot of people do not like. Also if you plan to do this, make sure to load your world in 1.6.4 first and let it save. They changed the world save format in 1.7 and if you don't save in 1.6.4 (not 1.6.2), you'll have structures disappear from your save file.

Also, 1.7 is slated to be released Oct 25, this Friday.

Also on that list: "Lots of hidden preparation for allowing name changes."

Looks like a 1.8 status for name change.

Edit:

I'm so proud of the dev team, they added planks slabs and stairs (and also seemed to have tweaked the bottom of log blocks to be separate textures).

From left to right: Oak, Spruce, Birch, Jungle, Acacia and Dark Oak (was roofed oak).

The giant spruce trees you can see in some biomes can now be grown as well using 2x2 spruce saplings.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 22, 2013