Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Oh yeah...well...my friends dad cousin is the President of the United States :colbert: But don't call him and verify because he's super busy.

(Loving Ax Cop by the way!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Deadmeat5150 posted:

:3: My base is coming along quite nicely. We've had the NICEST pirates and raiders so far. They've all gleefully attached themselves in the dumbest possible places where it was quite easy to dismantle a wall and send them into the void.

I'm so jealous of you neat bases, last night everytime I tried to enlarge my design some raiders came and docked with my ship so I'd demolish all their poo poo and then another would turn up.

It culminated in them ruining my base like this:

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.
I just tried making a base with the individual layout for rooms somebody did above. I went to go expand a hallway and I don't know how orders are prioritized, but the wall to the existing hallway was torn down before the new one was being built, cue everybody asphyxiating/being sucked into space.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
The biggest thing I don't like so far is the 'spaceship docking' that consists of structures you didn't build randomly being tacked on to yours. For the full game, I'd much prefer if they were actual spaceships that you can board and then raid and detach from your space base.

I do hope actual spaceships will be a 'thing' in the future too - I'd love to have the mining crew have their own ship to fly out to asteroids far away from the base, or the security crew manning fighter ships to shoot down enemy spacecraft, etc.

I am definitely cool with derelict ships or enemy bases showing up that you can take over - but I don't like the whole docking thing. It fucks with the player's vanity of making their own base too much, and also functions as 'here's a bunch of free poo poo you didn't make' in its present alpha state.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 19, 2013

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I made a wall around my base and proceeded to have 0 enemy ships dock for at least 3 hours. The wall was just a wall in space 3 tiles away from the outer wall of the base.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I'm going to be interested in seeing how much more control they give the player over keeping your characters under control - for example, I don't want my security officer running around to random locations when he's on duty. I'd like to control where he patrols and so on. Same goes for technicians. I'd like them to not go all the way across the map to tune up a derelict vessel's oxygen, only to get eaten by a space worm. If you have more control over who maintains what and where, this might prevent this issue. I'd also like to assign them to prioritize certain equipment over others - like assigning a small group of guys to just maintain the oxygen, while a roaming group of guys takes care of everything else.

Being able to assign characters to particular areas of work and rest would be crucial in the long run to making a large scale base. Otherwise you run into the problems that games like 'Towns' have where when you try to make a secondary base someplace, the game basically 'breaks' and the citizen units then run up and down the map between the job areas of the two towns rather than getting tasks done in the nearest location where they are.

Oh and I would definitely love to see medical and science research type stuff.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

A number of ways to do task control is to give the player better zoning control. You could have an engineering section which houses all the primary power and diagnostics equipment, which lets you have 2-3 guys manning that room permanently keeping an eye on the reactor and keeping tabs on the powergrid from there. Then you can assign others to a "roaming" team who go out and actually repair the stations equipment. This strikes a decent balance between player control and the agent system. Extrapolate to cover atmospherics and security as well and you've got a good baseline. Security would have a control room as well as several minor outposts or checkpoints you can keep manned to maintain decent coverage for the whole station.

What I'd like though is for the actual station building to be reduced a little. This could be done by increasing the mass cost of the walls and floors, and making asteroids much bigger so they'll actually act as base interiors when mined out that you can settle.

I'd also like more map scenario types instead of the current 4 values. Let the player build a hidden pirate base, send out raiders and so on.

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
Played for a few hours, can see the potential but not much meat there yet. Built up a decent sized station before I got kinda bored, but I never saw a parasite or space worm.
Only a few Raiders but my security handled them easily before they could cause much trouble. One thing was my technicians didn't seem to want to actually fix anything. I had 6 techs, out of 22 people total, and they would mostly sit around playing video games while my poo poo started burning down. I had to resort to having my builders destroy nearly broken things and then just rebuild them.
Definitely looking forward to future releases.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The game is pretty interesting but they really should have dialed the derelicts down a bit. I played for like half an hour and had half a dozen sitting in space outside my station and one docked.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Party Plane Jones posted:

The game is pretty interesting but they really should have dialed the derelicts down a bit. I played for like half an hour and had half a dozen sitting in space outside my station and one docked.

They probably will, once there are more other things going on. They don't want the alpha players telling everyone that this is a game where nothing at all happens.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Demiurge4 posted:

What I'd like though is for the actual station building to be reduced a little. This could be done by increasing the mass cost of the walls and floors, and making asteroids much bigger so they'll actually act as base interiors when mined out that you can settle.

I'll super second this.

The way the game currently handles building is way more suited to a sort of Dwarf Fortress/Dungeon Keeper/Evil Genius/Startopia sort of setup where you've got some environmental constraints which affect how you build your base. If you could hollow out asteroids, and use the remaining rock as an outer wall, then players would be encouraged to try to plan their bases around the environment rather than just personal taste. This would also open up another avenue for exploration as players might encounter ancient abandoned bases deep inside asteroids, space worms, or secret pirate hideouts. You could allow players to attach thrusters to asteroids and maneuver them into position to expand their base by linking the two together (providing a convenient target for raiders, and a section of the base that's vulnerable to micrometeorite storms). You could even add in levels and make it so everyone's spacebase eventually becomes a crazy rock-DNA-strand looking thing.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
My spacemans seriously need some airlock safety training. Goddamn, the worm that burst out of my bartender never got a chance to kill any of my crew because most of them got sucked out an airlock while in various states of undress on their way to fight said worm. Then a bunch of religious zealots showed up, docked with the room the worm was in, and when they opened fire on the one single security guy that got through and eluded death by open airlock, blew a hole in the wall and depressurized half the station killing themselves, the worm, and the survivor.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Spacedad posted:

The biggest thing I don't like so far is the 'spaceship docking' that consists of structures you didn't build randomly being tacked on to yours. For the full game, I'd much prefer if they were actual spaceships that you can board and then raid and detach from your space base.

I do hope actual spaceships will be a 'thing' in the future too - I'd love to have the mining crew have their own ship to fly out to asteroids far away from the base, or the security crew manning fighter ships to shoot down enemy spacecraft, etc.

I am definitely cool with derelict ships or enemy bases showing up that you can take over - but I don't like the whole docking thing. It fucks with the player's vanity of making their own base too much, and also functions as 'here's a bunch of free poo poo you didn't make' in its present alpha state.

I agree that it's quite annoying that docking and intrustion amounts to often useless additions to your base, and I would also like to see them become real space ships.

Taking it a step further, I'd like to be able to actually build and control space ships. Say you get some invading party that breaches your base, in my ideal final build of this game, I could kill the intruders, comandeer the ship, fix the breach, and promptly use the ship to go elsewhere in the galaxy to build more space bases. This could add some 4x type quality to the game, without the cumbersome bullshit that comes with managing macro economies and armies in 4x games.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Underwhelmed posted:

My spacemans seriously need some airlock safety training. Goddamn, the worm that burst out of my bartender never got a chance to kill any of my crew because most of them got sucked out an airlock while in various states of undress on their way to fight said worm. Then a bunch of religious zealots showed up, docked with the room the worm was in, and when they opened fire on the one single security guy that got through and eluded death by open airlock, blew a hole in the wall and depressurized half the station killing themselves, the worm, and the survivor.

How does blowing the airlock or blowing a hole anywhere result in depressurizing half your base. You guys aren't using big open rooms and hallways, are you? :psyduck: Star Trek had long open hallways, but that was because they had emergency force fields. Walls and doors are cheap. Many small rooms are safer than fewer large rooms.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Angela Christine posted:

How does blowing the airlock or blowing a hole anywhere result in depressurizing half your base. You guys aren't using big open rooms and hallways, are you? :psyduck: Star Trek had long open hallways, but that was because they had emergency force fields. Walls and doors are cheap. Many small rooms are safer than fewer large rooms.

It was the O2 room, with the main airlock, and it had one large hallway off without a door dividing it. The base was pretty young at that point, I only had a reactor, a pub, and one bed in 3 smaller divided rooms (which did have doors) off that main hall, but yeah the core of the base was totally open. Probably not a mistake I will make again, I was expecting the game to give me a little bit of time before multiple hostile forces were going to attack at once but nope, 30 minutes into my first game and I had two films worth of mishaps.

edit: Is there a way to remove placed objects? My life support section is getting really cluttered up with all these failed units that keep bursting into flames, and I am running out of space to place new units. At this rate I am going to need to build a new life support wing to accommodate the replacements. I designate stuff to Demolish, and it turns red, but it is never removed.

edit edit: oh what the hell, now they get around to doing it? I guess the smart ones died in the airlock

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 20, 2013

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Angela Christine posted:

Because death traps are way more fun than OHSA-compliant bases, that's why!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Angela Christine posted:

I started using airlocks in weird parts of my base because it's because so large. Not just internal -> external either.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I posted a big thread of ideas cribbed from SS13. Can anyone think of anything I missed that would fit in DF-9? I feel like I barely got into what makes SS13's systems interesting for this kind of game.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I posted a big thread of ideas cribbed from SS13. Can anyone think of anything I missed that would fit in DF-9? I feel like I barely got into what makes SS13's systems interesting for this kind of game.

This is excellent and well written. I really like it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
For some reason some airlocks on derelicts cause your guys to lock up trying to enter, whereupon they end up running out of oxygen.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I've found that right now the easiest thing to do is to dissemble every derelict you come across. Seriously the only advantage security has over normal dudes is guns and that don't count for poo poo in space anyway.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Party Plane Jones posted:

For some reason some airlocks on derelicts cause your guys to lock up trying to enter, whereupon they end up running out of oxygen.

I think what's happening is that there's a parasite inside, which they can somehow see, and they engage in combat. Only, they can't fight in space suits, and won't open the doors while in combat. So they get locked up just sitting there and eventually die with no way to even reassign them (since they'll ignore any beacons to deal with the current enemy).

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think what's happening is that there's a parasite inside, which they can somehow see, and they engage in combat. Only, they can't fight in space suits, and won't open the doors while in combat. So they get locked up just sitting there and eventually die with no way to even reassign them (since they'll ignore any beacons to deal with the current enemy).

My base just wiped because of this. I had pirates attack (seriously guys? ) and of my 4 survivors, two were in space optimistically trying to complete the new residence wing that would have accommodated all the technicians that had, sadly died a few days ago in the everlasting fire surrounding my mineral extractor*. The two in the base exchanged fire with one of the pirates, and one actually survived the battle only to wander too close to a hole caused by some stray weapons fire; another brave chicken lost to the void.

The one remaining pirate went outside to fight the two builders, even though it appears nobody can actually attack in space. Eventually everyone got low on air and started loitering around the same airlock, while "attacking target". I saved and quit for the night but I am pretty certain the pirate has a little more air so that will be the death of my last two. They really need an XCOM style memorial wall.

*I had queued an extinguisher for that room at some point, but it got canceled and forgotten about until one of my ace-technicians managed to start the fire. I tried to build another extinguisher, but the only builder available was too depressed to install it (because all his friends died in a fire) so he went and took a nap while his other friends died in a fire. As soon as the fire was out, it would get started again the first time a technician came within 20 feet of the extractor, repeating the whole process. They already have Spacemen that are as dumb as dwarves, so they can check off that feature.

Edit editing from a mobile device to correct typos is a pain in the rear end.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 20, 2013

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

As they get further into the game development, I am interested in them adding more vanity items for making your station a nicer place. If those vanity items have a subtle effect on the well-being of your crew, that's cool too. Towns accomplishes this by improving the happiness level of citizens more based on the cosmetic items around them - paricularly in their bedrooms when asleep. Maybe decorating your ship a little (nothing major, just a few nice things here and there) can help their mood and morale.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

My very first base, started in low-threat, high-traffic part of space:

All was going well. I decided to just integrate every derelict and ship that showed up, turning the base into a sprawling, syncretic agglomeration, instead of attempting to impose order on things.

Then, suddenly, there was what I can only describe as an oxygen generator failure cascade, coupled with every one of my technicians completely forgetting how to do their jobs. My original four O2 recyclers all failed and caught fire at the same time. The fire was extinguished, but after several real-world hours of techs actually being able to repair things (unlike the horror stories I've read here), from this point forward every time a tech touched an O2 recycler, it immediately caught fire.

Within a minute, I had "Life support zone NNX is on fire" notifications triggering every few seconds. I don't know if it was just bad timing, or if it's part of the modeling (multiple failures plus stress of fires consuming oxygen leads to otherwise-fine recyclers failing quickly), but it was an unrecoverable death-spiral from the point when the second life support zone caught fire. I went from 40-something citizens to two in around eight minutes, all dying of asphyxiation.

Well, it may have been recoverable. I pondered having builders tear out destroyed recyclers and build new ones, but it was much more entertaining to see what the game did on its own.

As I write this, I'm down to one citizen, who is sleeping soundly in an attached ship (whose O2 levels are fine), while the old core of the station burns down for no observable reason (the fire started in a hallway?). Uh oh. Hull breach.

Warpigeon
Aug 8, 2002
Daddy
What about tech trees?

I'd love to have exo-cortexes to backup my crewmen's brains into. Different tech and stats to address the same crew management and maintenance. Emergency force fields when decompression happens? Hell yes. Fabrication labs to print out stuff from raw materials? Hell yes. Ablative armor, maintenance drones, AI room governers, biodomes, elevators, trams, away missions, and teleporters too!

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I've taken to building main hallways two tiles wide, with a full airlock with suit every 15 tiles or so. On either side of this hallway is an airlock door to vent into space, allowing me to depressurize sections as I want. Each module section in rather independent in its own way, 4 beds, 2 life support. I think running at capacity causes your O2 units to burn out faster. Double thick outer hull walls, to protect from stray weapons fire, with independent, isolated life support to each section. I can lock down the bridge between modules leaving vacuum, vent entire sections to space if I need it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Is there a way to move or delete items once they've been placed on a wall or no?

A couple times now I've had a big item like a space bed queued and then queued a small item like a monitor and for whatever reason you can place the latter even if it conflicts with the former. So then the space bed placement gets canceled and I can't redo it because the queued monitor is in the way. Then I guess I have to wait for the monitor to get constructed, lock down the room and demolish the entire wall and open a spacehole in order to get rid of it?

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

You can single click objects to destroy or erase them. It'd a little weird but it works most of the time in my experience.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

After they've been placed? I mean I've had no problem demolishing placed big items but I can't for the life of me get rid of an item on a wall, whether I'm clicking the item to inspect it or going through the construct menu. Neither can I erase an item to be placed before it has been.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey all, I've had a bunch of folks ask me to buy this for them, so I thought I'd let you know that I offer this game on Steam at 15% off in my SA-Mart thread here.

Grabbed a copy for myself, looks interesting enough, but I'm holding off on actually activating it for my account until it's a little further along.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

epitasis posted:

After they've been placed? I mean I've had no problem demolishing placed big items but I can't for the life of me get rid of an item on a wall, whether I'm clicking the item to inspect it or going through the construct menu. Neither can I erase an item to be placed before it has been.

I once managed to delete a sign on a bar wall by hovering over the floor below it, not sure if it work regularly.

The game is alright but needs more meat to it, and fixing some bugs. Right now it is just "play until bugs ruin thing" which for me seems to happen 2h in. Then a derelict ship shows up and my security team gets stuck at the airlock and suffocates. One time, a space worm killed three guys in the airlock, so i sent a builder to dismantle a wall on the other side of the ship to air it out a bit. The space worm got sucked out into the vacuum and both he and the builder slowly floated through space until they disappeared. From that point on, random people would switch to 'fighting' or 'panicking' while in space and proceed to fly off into the lower left corner of the map to suffocate. Goddamn space worms.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Well, work on Alpha 2 is apparently underway, and the team has updated the development plans to show what the current focus is.

Double Fine posted:

Current Focus
Things we are working on right now. Unless it’s part of some larger ongoing work, this may well make it into an alpha update within the next month.

FOOD/GARDENS
* citizens have hunger need and must eat food to satisfy it
* food replicator object that can be built in any zone
* citizens can use food replicator to fulfill hunger need, but it's like vending machine food, adequate but not great
* small matter cost (1-2) each time someone uses a food replicator
** 0 matter = replicators stop working
* garden zones where plants, ie "real food", is grown in hydroponic trays by citizens with botanist duty
* plants in gardens produce small amounts of extra oxygen
* citizens who spend time in garden zones have happy thoughts, increasing morale
* plants grow from seedlings to full-sized plants ready for harvest
* plants have a "health", if it reaches zero the plant dies
* citizens on botanist duty "maintain" plant health, much as techs maintain machines
* citizens can eat raw veggies/fruits/etc to fulfill hunger - better than replicator food, but not as tasty and happiness-inducing as a cooked meal
* botanists harvest fully grown plants and deliver them to pub fridges for preparation
* bartenders at pubs use stoves to cook plants into meals, which nourish citizens more and make them happy
** bartender randomly selects which dish is cooked from global list of randomly generated foods
** new immigrants will sometimes bring new recipes, which are added to the global list
** citizens have food preferences
** eating a preferred food makes them very happy, eating a strongly disliked food makes them a bit unhappy
* citizens sit at a pub table and eat, getting nourishment and a morale boost
* skilled bartenders make people they serve happier

MISC UI
* cutaway mode should work on asteroids

METEOR STRIKES
* meteors strike bases, punching holes in the hull, depressurizing rooms, damaging people and things
** not as harsh as in the Amnesia Fortnight 2012 version, we promise :]
* "panic alarm" env object can be built in any zone which can be activated by player to clear room, so citizens have a chance to survive

:yum:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Double Fine posted:

* citizens on botanist duty "maintain" plant health, much as techs maintain machines

Awesome, I guess that means we can look forward to our crops bursting into flames because all our botanists are hosed off in a derelict trying to resuscitate moldy space potatoes

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
OK sweet, finally my crew will be able to start stockpiling spaceweed to help them through those long mining shifts.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
I really hope granting the ability to organize the military and or citizens into squads is a high priority. It is really annoying that there currently isn't any way to corral your civilians away from invaders (besides through indirect means like locking doors) or any good way to get your stupid security people to go anywhere besides dropping a flag and hoping for the best.

Magmarashi posted:

Awesome, I guess that means we can look forward to our crops bursting into flames because all our botanists are hosed off in a derelict trying to resuscitate moldy space potatoes

This was my first thought as well.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Underwhelmed posted:

I really hope granting the ability to organize the military and or citizens into squads is a high priority. It is really annoying that there currently isn't any way to corral your civilians away from invaders (besides through indirect means like locking doors) or any good way to get your stupid security people to go anywhere besides dropping a flag and hoping for the best.

Patrol routes would certainly help. You could then switch the beacon from being a "we need X number of security personnel" to being a priority thing. Like, at level 1 it'll only call officers who're on duty, and either have no patrol route, or cover the area the beacon's in. At level 6 it's "OH GOD THE STATION'S EXPLODING AND THERE ARE LASERS EVERYWHERE" Alert, and pretty much everyone on the station tries to do something defense related (or get the hell out depending on personality/skill).

Underwhelmed posted:

This was my first thought as well.

Ditto, the :turianass: around the word maintain didn't help.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Ernie Muppari posted:

Ditto, the :turianass: around the word maintain didn't help.

1 star botanists will alternate between huffing gasoline and pouring it on the plants.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

bitcoin bastard posted:

1 star botanists will alternate between huffing gasoline and pouring it on the plants.

Or growing dank rear end rainbow weed to sell to the Pub in exchange for yummy cooked food. Cause that's all newbie botanists ever try to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
No word on whether you can eat space worms after you've zapped them?

• Locked thread