Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Asema posted:

Since everything went to subscription, the activity in the FC has basically gone to nothing and now with the free transfers it seems like it allowed the others to just jump ship. Is there any hope still on Midgardsormr for a goon guild or what's the most active server to find that for?

Go to Excalibur. The answer is always going to be Excalibur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Bean
Jun 5, 2005

Don't spill the beans!!

Boten Anna posted:

There's more money floating around in the economy. This sounds bad "omg everything is more expensive" but it's not, because things you sell are worth more raw gil, which effectively makes things like teleporting cheaper. If you have a decent amount of gil, grab some materia or something to resell for higher on Excalibur. Meanwhile, there's less exclusive access to top tier stuff since there are more high level crafters.

There's not really a downside. The economy is more robust and there are more people with more resources and a ton of people to do things with.

Thanks for all the replies! While Adamantoise is healthy, having an active goon guild to do stuff with is alluring. I already registered on the FC website, and we'll probably transfer today.

supercrooky
Sep 12, 2006

Asema posted:

Since everything went to subscription, the activity in the FC has basically gone to nothing and now with the free transfers it seems like it allowed the others to just jump ship. Is there any hope still on Midgardsormr for a goon guild or what's the most active server to find that for?

Most of us who were still playing have moved to Excalibur.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

sentrygun posted:

The cost isn't the raw materials you can gather, it's the raw materials you can't gather and have to spend philosophy on. A Rose Gold Ingot takes 9 Peacock Ore, and each ore sells for like 64k on the AH on Excalibur. I imagine costs are similar between all tomestone-only crafting items.

Gotcha, is this part of the dreaded Potash market I've heard so much about?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Miss Bean posted:

Thanks for all the replies! While Adamantoise is healthy, having an active goon guild to do stuff with is alluring. I already registered on the FC website, and we'll probably transfer today.

I'm on Adamantoise! Have fun on Excalibur. I might join in on the fun later but for right now my FC is doing fine since we are all ex FFXI players from the same server/LS.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I capped my mythology for this week while doing Ifrit and I have no idea how because there's no way I did more than a handful of WP and AK runs. :cripes:

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Does AK or WP drop better PLD gear? I'm trying to figure out which dungeon I should be farming.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

WP drops gear that's an upgrade from AF, AK drops gear that's an upgrade from WP gear. AK might be a bit harder to tank without WP gear .if your healer isn't at the top of his or her game.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I got really drat luck on my first WP run and had about 4 pieces of the vermillion set drop, which was good enough for AK. If you have an understanding group and a good healer you might as well jump right into AK if all you want is gear. WP is faster so do that if you just want tomestones.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Does AK or WP drop better PLD gear? I'm trying to figure out which dungeon I should be farming.

If you want gear, AK. If you want tomes, WP.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Also, the AK tank gear (Hoplite) looks a lot cooler than both the WP and Darklight set. I've been buying my darklight belt and jewelery first, because I hate the XTREME KINGDOM HEARTLESS NOBODY designs on the Darklight armor.

E Minor
Jul 3, 2004

Asema posted:

Though it sounds like Excalibur is the best option, if any goons on Midgard won't jump ship in time or just doesn't feel like it, my FC is open to anyone. There's only four or five of us on per night, but we're all sort of goons too and we're sticking around for the long haul.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
So now I've gotten my GSM and WVR to 50. Where do I go from here? Everything else is sitting pretty at fifteen. My gut instinct is to at least get CUL to 37 for the buffed steady hand, but I have no idea how people level that thing up. For GSM and WVR I just bought mats, crafted them into intermediaries, and flipped HQs on the market for my money back (along wit some leves, of course). I don't *think* there's anything like that in CUL, is there? How have you plucky crafters made your way in the daunting field of cookery?

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
CUL to 37 is really nice, and not too hard to do. If you have a Botanist, you're pretty much set. Walnut Bread, Chamomile Tea, and Cornmeal took me to 37. All of those are easily framed with Botany.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Tarranon posted:

So now I've gotten my GSM and WVR to 50. Where do I go from here? Everything else is sitting pretty at fifteen. My gut instinct is to at least get CUL to 37 for the buffed steady hand, but I have no idea how people level that thing up. For GSM and WVR I just bought mats, crafted them into intermediaries, and flipped HQs on the market for my money back (along wit some leves, of course). I don't *think* there's anything like that in CUL, is there? How have you plucky crafters made your way in the daunting field of cookery?

For Culinarian, I did Oysters 15-20, then Grape Juice 20-25, then Chamomile Tea (which I haven't finished, but i've heard 25-30 for crafting, then turn in HQS). After that I think it's Acorn Cookies?

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

Niton posted:

For Culinarian, I did Oysters 15-20, then Grape Juice 20-25, then Chamomile Tea (which I haven't finished, but i've heard 25-30 for crafting, then turn in HQS). After that I think it's Acorn Cookies?

And by that point you'd be as well just doing Apple Juice to finish it off to 50.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Awesome, thanks. Also where have you been putting innovation into your rotations? Do you just stack it with great strides for your final HQ combo or is there something more tricky to it?

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Bad name AND bad player

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

What if they have a Bard at 50 and just wanted to use that ring for the det/crit until they can afford the DRG one?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

E Minor posted:

Though it sounds like Excalibur is the best option, if any goons on Midgard won't jump ship in time or just doesn't feel like it, my FC is open to anyone. There's only four or five of us on per night, but we're all sort of goons too and we're sticking around for the long haul.

Are you in the goon linkshell or the like? Because I'm sure we can get something together so the group of us doesn't have to go to another server.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

What if they have a Bard at 50 and just wanted to use that ring for the det/crit until they can afford the DRG one?

I thought about that.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

hey look guys I'm wearing a strength ring as bard

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Last night I did Copperbell on my Arcanist with another Arcanist in full level 1 crafting gear and garlond goggles, and a Paladin in the coliseum set with the Dragoon darklight helmet. They would just run up and auto-attack everything :(

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

Hq Rubellite is like 5-10k. You can dig around your couch cushions and find enough money to buy one.

E Minor
Jul 3, 2004

Asema posted:

Are you in the goon linkshell or the like? Because I'm sure we can get something together so the group of us doesn't have to go to another server.

Not in one of the goon FCs listed on the first page, but we're all pretty much goons here (old friends from FFXI days). When the game started, none of us thought goons were rolling on Midgard so didn't even think to check the thread (hell, I only started reading this thread a few days ago). But yeah, any goon can join us. Just drop Noya Yuker (or Fynspytz Fyrstwynn) a tell in game. Or, if you guys want to remain in your respective FCs (not trying to poach anyone or destroy anything), but want to set up some sort of linkshell, that's cool with us too.

E Minor fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 21, 2013

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Niton posted:

Oh my god these materials are expensive as hell and there are hardly any at auction. Weird. And, lame. The finished items don't really sell that much either. This is kind of my nightmare scenario here. Are my only options really to just go broke or level up my gathering classes along with it? You'd think that since only culinarians would use these gathered cooking ingredients (as far as I know?) they'd be dirt cheap, but that is apparently not the case.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Doublestep posted:

Bad name AND bad player

Everyone knows rogues want agility.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Tarranon posted:

Oh my god these materials are expensive as hell and there are hardly any at auction. Weird. And, lame. The finished items don't really sell that much either. This is kind of my nightmare scenario here. Are my only options really to just go broke or level up my gathering classes along with it? You'd think that since only culinarians would use these gathered cooking ingredients (as far as I know?) they'd be dirt cheap, but that is apparently not the case.

Higher levels in DoH classes require a lot of mats to the point that you should really be able to gather some yourself if you're serious about leveling them. Consider this your introduction to the world of high level synthesis.

Are you ready to suffer?

Yes / No

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

:itisanOrangeIsTheNewBlackreference:

Also CyberlordXP: yes, you are looking at spending your hardearned tomes on potash for the rest of your crafting career. Try not to kill yourself.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

get ye flask posted:

Higher levels in DoH classes require a lot of mats to the point that you should really be able to gather some yourself if you're serious about leveling them. Consider this your introduction to the world of high level synthesis.

Are you ready to suffer?

Yes / No

Maybe I just lucked out going with Weaver and Goldsmith then, because they're both at fifty and I leveled them all the way there by buying and then playing the market. I only started to dip a little into the negative at the very end but I'm already back up to 100K+. Playing the auction house was half the fun of leveling, too! Ah well. Maybe I'll just eat leves. Or finance culinary with my other classes.

or....
or......

start a disciple of the land class :smithicide:

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Also CyberlordXP: yes, you are looking at spending your hardearned tomes on potash for the rest of your crafting career. Try not to kill yourself.

Yeah none of the two star gear makes sense now that I've read up on it some. It's like gear for gilbuyers or something, because it take a ton less tomes to get DL or whatever. I think I'll just stick with making gear for spiritbonding.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

CyberLord XP posted:

Yeah none of the two star gear makes sense now that I've read up on it some. It's like gear for gilbuyers or something, because it take a ton less tomes to get DL or whatever. I think I'll just stick with making gear for spiritbonding.

I could have sworn that overall DS gear costs slightly less tomes than DL gear. Can't find a source though.

sound_again
Jun 19, 2012

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

Last night I did Copperbell on my Arcanist with another Arcanist in full level 1 crafting gear and garlond goggles, and a Paladin in the coliseum set with the Dragoon darklight helmet. They would just run up and auto-attack everything :(

The way you put it makes me think they were trolling. Autoattacking with high level gear? Too stupid.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

I could have sworn that overall DS gear costs slightly less tomes than DL gear. Can't find a source though.

The head/chest and legs/feet pieces of DS cost like, 200 tomes less each than their darklight counterpart, but everything else is more expensive I think.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

sound_again posted:

The way you put it makes me think they were trolling. Autoattacking with high level gear? Too stupid.

At least when I do low level dungeons in silly gear I'm actually still contributing :(

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

E Minor posted:

Not in one of the goon FCs listed on the first page, but we're all pretty much goons here (old friends from FFXI days). When the game started, none of us thought goons were rolling on Midgard so didn't even think to check the thread (hell, I only started reading this thread a few days ago). But yeah, any goon can join us. Just drop Noya Yuker (or Fynspytz Fyrstwynn) a tell in game. Or, if you guys want to remain in your respective FCs (not trying to poach anyone or destroy anything), but want to set up some sort of linkshell, that's cool with us too.

I'll try to send both of those a tell in game (so tell them to look out for an Asema Cordelia) to see about getting a linkshell set up that we can communicate in. I've got about the same 5-6 active types that want to do coil and I figured we can get a decent group merged between the two of us.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
There's really nothing more frustrating than failing 5-6 Hasty Touches in a row with Steady Hand II on an item 5-6 levels below you. Using all the guides out there, I still can't reliably HQ Walnut Lumber at level 31. I feel like if I didn't fail 75% of my Hasty touches things would be different but who knows!

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

DL for my Whm:

Body: 1,320
Gloves: 495
Sash: 375
Pants: 825
Boots: 495

Total: 3,510

Vanya Silk (9 Potash x125): 1125

Hat: 1125
Body: 1125
Gloves: 1125
Sash: 1125
Pants: 2250
Boots: 1125

Total: 7875

Am I missing something? Looks like Vanya route takes literally twice as many tombs? Or are you talking about another gear set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be

Funny thing, Vanya Breeches take 18 potash and 9 animal fat, so it's 27 philosophy items, or 3375. You will never see these made.

• Locked thread