Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

CreedThoughts posted:

I feel like the ability thing is a push to get and keep more casual players (like me). I have multiple 75s and a couple 85s, but that's after playing for 2 years. I go months without playing, and often times I can't just pick up one of my characters again because it has 45 different skills to use. I have friends that were turned off around level 50 when they had more skills than they were used to compared to modern MMOs. Look at a Minstrel's ability bar at 85, you can have more than 4 full bars. I'm relatively new, but from what I understand the classes have all had their fair share of move changes and removals, so I am cautiously optimistic about the changes here.

That said, I am loving all the XP I'm getting right now, I went from 6 to 28 on my Runekeeper in three days.

Still far too many, but it is a lot better. Will have around two bars for combat then utility stuff.

I think 5 no/short cooldown, 4 short/medium cooldown and 3 long cooldown. That would give you one default 12 slot bar. Short being something like 6 seconds or under, medium 15 seconds and long 30 seconds. I know some people love the 15 minute cooldown very powerful abilities but they are usually a prick to balance and a lot of people don't like obnoxious cooldowns.

Then you can have another 12 for buffs, debuffs, utility depending on spec. I think that would freak out people alot less.

Warden is a different problem altogether, how many gambits are there 40-50? I think when players need to stick a chart on the wall to play the class it is probably going to give a lot of players seizures trying to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
The XP combined with the upcoming changes that I want to see convinced me to reinstall it, so good work Turbine I guess? I'm gonna be a Minstrel this time. Never tried one of those before.

If this update gives me fewer skill bars, I'm all over it. One question though: are the trait changes in yet? I know WoW does a pre-patch thing where they add universal game changes before the expansion actually comes out; I'm not sure if Turbine does.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

Prism posted:

The XP combined with the upcoming changes that I want to see convinced me to reinstall it, so good work Turbine I guess? I'm gonna be a Minstrel this time. Never tried one of those before.

If this update gives me fewer skill bars, I'm all over it. One question though: are the trait changes in yet? I know WoW does a pre-patch thing where they add universal game changes before the expansion actually comes out; I'm not sure if Turbine does.

Trait changes will come in with the expansion, in a month.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Zvim posted:

Trait changes will come in with the expansion, in a month.

Ah, okay, wasn't sure if it would make it in early. Given the size of the patch I'm getting it wouldn't have surprised me if it did. I guess that's what happens when you go away for a while. It's been on 0% Update Game Data for... a while, despite being 20000 files in.

e: went from 0% to 100% in one file, good job at progress bars!

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 19, 2013

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Zvim posted:

Warden is a different problem altogether, how many gambits are there 40-50? I think when players need to stick a chart on the wall to play the class it is probably going to give a lot of players seizures trying to play it.

Speaking of, 100% XP? Hell yeah, time to get my 45 Warden to 85! Finally got my new laptop and LOTRO reinstalled so it's time to come back.

Playing a Warden pretty much forces you to know a fight backwards and front. Since you have to plan out your moves and account for things BEFORE they happen, you pretty much need a spreadsheet of Gambits relevant to the fight laid out. Threat build -> HoTs -> AoE Heals -> Threat -> HoTs etc etc. When we were doing big skirmishes I was chaining together like 12-15 separate gambits at a time.

It's alot of fun but can be stressful when you have to react quickly to something. I think the base interrupt for Wardens is two or three symbols long. If you're 4 symbols deep into a 5-symbol Gambit and need to interrupt an ability, better hit that dump and muscle memory-or-whatever your interrupt gambit in the window of like 2 seconds! :haw:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hey I'm going to go on in like half an hour looking for level 20's for barrows run. Any and all are welcome (especially tanks!)

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I've started a Guardian, not so much for wanting to play a tank, but for being melee. If I end up sticking with this will I be pretty much relegated to tanking in the long run?

Ingame as Serpus for purposes of kinshipping.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

SERPUS posted:

I've started a Guardian, not so much for wanting to play a tank, but for being melee. If I end up sticking with this will I be pretty much relegated to tanking in the long run?

Ingame as Serpus for purposes of kinshipping.

Guardians are the main tanking class, as you probably know. If you're really looking for melee DPS, you'll prefer Champion much more for that role.

Ishmael
May 31, 2006
Hey guys, thought I'd check out LOTRO and see what it's all about. I just joined the Silverlode server as Olev. I usually play as a healy type, so giving Minstrel a shot. If any officers come online, shoot me an invite :) Looking forward to checking it all out.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Ishmael posted:

Hey guys, thought I'd check out LOTRO and see what it's all about. I just joined the Silverlode server as Olev. I usually play as a healy type, so giving Minstrel a shot. If any officers come online, shoot me an invite :) Looking forward to checking it all out.

For your sake I hope they changed the Shire quests. Assuming you picked a Hobbit (you did, didn't you?), of course.

I'm Dustybones, 47 Dude Warden returning from a long, unwilling absence. It's an awesome game and they're making some quality-of-life changes here soon. Welcome!

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Well somehow "roll and level a burglar" turned into "More levels for the Warden." It's been so long I literally don't remember any of these gambits but my god is this stupid amounts of fun. Can I get an invite to the kin on Onilvis? People still play on Silverlode, right?

Ishmael
May 31, 2006

TheHoosier posted:

For your sake I hope they changed the Shire quests. Assuming you picked a Hobbit (you did, didn't you?), of course.

I'm Dustybones, 47 Dude Warden returning from a long, unwilling absence. It's an awesome game and they're making some quality-of-life changes here soon. Welcome!

I'm doin an Elf. Is hobbit the way to go on a Minst?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Ishmael posted:

I'm doin an Elf. Is hobbit the way to go on a Minst?

Not for any other reason than a fat hobbit with a lute healing people with a jaunty tune is awesome.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Double XP month? Clearly I picked the right time to give up on ever being able to transfer my Laurelin characters to an NA server (byebye, L51 Loremaster :() and just go level the alts I made on Landroval.

What are the big quality of life improvements coming in? (given that I last played around when Isengard dropped) I already love the "pending loot" feature at least.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 20, 2013

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I gave this game a shot a while ago, and with the news of double xp and the upcoming release of The Hobbit, I'm considering getting back into it.

I normally like to play buff/debuff based roles in MMOs, City of Heroes' Defender class for example, but I find it rare that this isn't tied to being the main healer. Are there any classes like that in LOTRO? So far I'm thinking either Burglar or Captain are my best bet.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Roach Warehouse posted:

I gave this game a shot a while ago, and with the news of double xp and the upcoming release of The Hobbit, I'm considering getting back into it.

I normally like to play buff/debuff based roles in MMOs, City of Heroes' Defender class for example, but I find it rare that this isn't tied to being the main healer. Are there any classes like that in LOTRO? So far I'm thinking either Burglar or Captain are my best bet.

Captain is the closest thing to a Defender. RIP to my Kin/Archery. :cry:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
This game owns and I'm going to buy the expansion pack, but that legendary upgrade is pretty disappointing. Your $60 expansion option becomes a 100 dollar expansion pack by giving you a movie ticket to see The Hobbit and selling you 3x in game stat boosters essentially. That's definitely WB getting involved in how Turbine has to make money now. The $39.99 option is definitely looking worth the money though unless you're rushing characters before launch, then that shield might very well be worth it without even calculating the turbine points or the rest.

BrokenLinux
Mar 9, 2003
/device/null
I tried to play this the past few days but i just couldn't get past how much nickel and dime that store is.

The riding skills, the perm. stat boosts...buying raid access.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

BrokenLinux posted:

I tried to play this the past few days but i just couldn't get past how much nickel and dime that store is.

The riding skills, the perm. stat boosts...buying raid access.

It's really not near as bad as it seems. The benefit of LOTRO's model (which I really like) is you can fully play the game just by paying for the content - which is a MUCH better deal than almost every other F2P matrix (especially SOE's, where all the gear is locked).

You buy VIP for 1 month, make your "main" and any alts you care for. You get riding at 20 in-game, you don't need to buy it. After that you just the zones as you want them, once your VIP is over. That's it.

Yes, you can buy some other things like teleport to quest givers, vault expansion, etc - but the game throws enough deeds at you and free store points to cover a good bit of that too (plus you'll have some points from VIP).

There's also good bundles, but you'll have to do the math on what works best for your goals, like the mithril starter edition, etc.

It's nice being back for a bit - I had completely forgotten I have all of Great River to do along with half of Dunland. It's funny seeing alot of the same names from the goonrush from The Hobbit too.

BrokenLinux
Mar 9, 2003
/device/null
^thankis for the info.

I'm sure this gets asked. But what would be the best way to pay/play this? As in must have purchases

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

BrokenLinux posted:

^thankis for the info.

I'm sure this gets asked. But what would be the best way to pay/play this? As in must have purchases

Somewhere back in the last goon rush people had done awesome jobs with mathing it. There's no silver bullet answer though. It boils down to:

-How impatient are you?
-Are you a MUST HAVE EVERYTHING type? Including skirmishes, raids, classes, horrible zones like North Downs?
-Do you care about potentially "wasting" money on stuff you won't ever actually use?

Again, I don't remember the EXACT best way to do it that people had mathed out. But a general guide was like this:

-Go VIP for a month
-Mithril Edition was like...$10 or something
-Then depending on your patience level, wait for a sale on store points to get points cheaper, then wait for quest packs and such to go on sale too.
-Buy expansions only when they're on sale, either in the store or on Steam

The wiki has a great list of what's in the store: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/LOTRO_Store

What makes it hard to be "perfect" is min/maxing the sales, along with things like starter edition will get you some quest packs, then there's the quest pack bundle, but it may or may not make sense if you already have some from other deals.

I just bought the mithril edition and went VIP for a month. I was playing a lot, so I got through all the quest lines in the pre-Moria zones while under VIP. Those combined gave me plenty to do so I could wait for store points sale and quest pack sale, at which point I then bought the rest of the quest packs (to do deed grinding). Then I picked up the expansions as I hit them or saw them on sale, and I still have like 1600 points left over (which I'll either use on storage or towards HD).

Edit: well holy poo poo. Fate has determined it meant to be! I seriously picked a random page, first shot, and it had the post I was thinking of:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3524509&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=16#post411517430

You can follow posts around it too to get discussion on it.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 21, 2013

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

I just pay for vip. 10 a month for one of the most fun leveling experiences in an mmo, and with my monthly points I have been able to get things like journeyman riding, the premium wallet, and cosmetics.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

CreedThoughts posted:

I just pay for vip. 10 a month for one of the most fun leveling experiences in an mmo, and with my monthly points I have been able to get things like journeyman riding, the premium wallet, and cosmetics.

Same here. I really really really wish I had purchased the lifetime when it was available, as I have played this game enough to pay for it 3 times over, but it's still worth it to me to pay for VIP (it's effectively ~$5/month considering the 500 turbine points you get).

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Fall Festival starts tomorrow and ends November 4th, as many people suspected. Nice to see they're actually going to have it still going on Halloween this time, I couldn't believe last year how they had it end before the holiday.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Downloading this to give it a shot. Is the info in the OP still correct about goons being on the Silverlode server as Nazgun?

Never played it before, but it allows macs so that's why I'm here after EQmac shut down.

I've looked at the classes/videos posted. What's best for DPS in terms of casters and/or melee? I liked playing a necromancer/wiz/mage in EQ and had a ranger I was leveling up, for reference.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

nwin posted:

Downloading this to give it a shot. Is the info in the OP still correct about goons being on the Silverlode server as Nazgun?

Never played it before, but it allows macs so that's why I'm here after EQmac shut down.

I've looked at the classes/videos posted. What's best for DPS in terms of casters and/or melee? I liked playing a necromancer/wiz/mage in EQ and had a ranger I was leveling up, for reference.

Hey mac-buddy! We're on Silverlode.

I've been using a hunter and it can seriously cause serious damage to one enemy at a time in terms of DPS. Not really good at fighting ore than one thing at a time though.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

nwin posted:

Yes to Silverlode.

As far as "best" - lol. Noone cares, because noone raids in LOTRO. Play what you find fun, because you'll be spending 99% if not 100% of it collecting bear asses. I play Hunter, they're easy and crap out DPS (think ranger / Legolas). I don't know if there is technically one that's better than others though.

There are no magic casters, because there's no magic in LOTR okay! There's just runic power, which is totally not the same as magic at all. So Rune-Keeper is the closest to a nuker type I think.

Check out the wiki for more info on classes: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Class

Someone else who is smarter and more knowledgeable about the game can chime in, but I felt like replying!

(But seriously so little people raid in LOTRO that they launched Rohan with zero raid content, but added some later)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

nwin posted:

If we're talking about "best" DPS, I remember hearing that the best champ can spit more damage faster than the best hunter, but have seen firsthand that a mediocre hunter can do more than a mediocre champ. Hunters are also far squishier, though, which will become important when those mediocre hunters pull all the aggro for themselves before the tank can get there. Conversely, champs played well can be pretty serviceable tanks (although any champ worth his salt will hate every last not-killing-things-as-quickly-as-possible second of it), and they're also far, far better at fighting multiple things at once (although any hunter worth his salt will know how to use his loving traps so that shouldn't be an issue for them anyway).

Having come from EQ and played an enchanter, I tried making a Loremaster as my first LOTRO character, figuring they'd be roughly equivalent (blow poo poo up while your pet tanks for you). I see a similar background in your post, so let me just tell you right now that they're not. LMs are the cerebral debuff/CC support class of LOTRO. They can deeps some deeps, but not nearly as well as a hunter or champ. Their pets can't hold aggro for poo poo, either. A good LM can get through just about anything, but it's really hard to get to that point and I wouldn't recommend them as a first character.

Hunters are probably the closest analogue to the EQ caster archetype (squishy ranged DPS). If that's the same kind of experience you're looking for here, I'd say go with that, but give champing a try too. Champs have more fun :black101:

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

It's difficult to say which class does the most DPS because this depends so heavily upon itemization and changes depending on factors like whether you are in a group or fighting multiple enemies at a time or in rapid succession, or if you're talking about burst DPS vs. sustained over a lengthy fight.

One thing I can say pretty safely: fighting groups of 2-3 monsters at at time, nothing can out-DPS a champion.
Fighting 5+ at a time, it might actually be a warden, since they might be the only class that could actually stay alive long enough to do it.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
To be fair, a lot of the class talk is outdated. I hate to say it but you need to look to the developer diaries found here if you want to a pick a class. From off the top of my memory all classes can DPS though pure DPS classes probably excel over the traditional role types. For the pure dps it becomes what type of flavor DPS do you want to do.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

nwin posted:

Warden is the most fun, because you can solo just about anything. Champ is the second most fun, because you tank things by hitting them harder than they hit you. Hunters are awesome for being able to easily travel all over the world, and you'll carry your group with you. They also get a pretty good group wide out of combat run speed boost, which makes running around killing monsters less tedious.

The other classes have their fun points, but the three most fun classes IMO are Warden, Champion, and then Hunter.

I will say that the first class I was able to solo an on-level EM monster on was a Minstrel though, they can be surprisingly sturdy for a light armor wearing class.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Actually, due to new Kin rules, you must be a Hunter to be in The Nazgun. Any non-hunters will be removed for not fitting into the aforementioned "Hunter-only" rule.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I don't know if these statements about each class will even be valid anymore after Helm's Deep launches and brings the massive class revamps. It kind of sounds as though they're trying to level out the DPS differences between the classes for soloing. Burglar is the most fun class I've played, for what it's worth.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
As long as a minstrel has power...they stay alive, squishiness is relative at that point if you can just heal the dmg being taken. I would routinely take elites over my level and come out on top. It would take forever but it was doable. Between shields, heals, fears, and stuns...minstrels have a lot of options for survivability. The only thing they don't do that well against is more than 3 mobs at a time. (fear 1, quick burn 2, fear 1 again, burn 3, burn 1)

BrokenLinux
Mar 9, 2003
/device/null
would this be a pretty good pack to start with?
http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/the-lord-of-the-rings-online-mithril-edition/97978#productDetails

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Hey mac-buddy! We're on Silverlode.

I've been using a hunter and it can seriously cause serious damage to one enemy at a time in terms of DPS. Not really good at fighting ore than one thing at a time though.

My main's a Hunter, and they are ostensibly the primary ranged DPS class. They can fight multiple mobs at once just fine once they get all of their AOE and CC skills.

Rune Keeper is the main "DPS Mage" type class that does both DPS and Healing. The other is Lore Master, a complicated but rewarding CC/DeBuffer/Pet class.

xZAOx posted:

Yes to Silverlode.

As far as "best" - lol. Noone cares, because noone raids in LOTRO. Play what you find fun, because you'll be spending 99% if not 100% of it collecting bear asses. I play Hunter, they're easy and crap out DPS (think ranger / Legolas). I don't know if there is technically one that's better than others though.

There are no magic casters, because there's no magic in LOTR okay! There's just runic power, which is totally not the same as magic at all. So Rune-Keeper is the closest to a nuker type I think.

Check out the wiki for more info on classes: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Class

Someone else who is smarter and more knowledgeable about the game can chime in, but I felt like replying!

(But seriously so little people raid in LOTRO that they launched Rohan with zero raid content, but added some later)

Rohan launched without real raid content because they decided to shift the game's focus away from groups towards a solo-only experience- NOT the other way around. We used to have some really good raids in this game. :(

The reason they did it was because WB is bleeding Turbine hard, and forcing them to spend the majority of their money and effort on Infinite Crisis- the upcoming DC Comic MOBA. The LotRO devs have been forced to cut everything down to the bare basics, I.E. Solo only questing. Don't fool yourselves into thinking that the upcoming "Big Battles" are going to scratch the raiding itch for the people that still want to group.

flowinprose posted:

One thing I can say pretty safely: fighting groups of 2-3 monsters at at time, nothing can out-DPS a champion.
Fighting 5+ at a time, it might actually be a warden, since they might be the only class that could actually stay alive long enough to do it.
Guardians. Never. Die.

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 22, 2013

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Brave New World posted:

The reason they did it was because WB is bleeding Turbine hard, and forcing them to spend the majority of their money and effort on Infinite Crisis- the upcoming DC Comic MOBA. The LotRO devs have been forced to cut everything down to the bare basics, I.E. Solo only questing. Don't fool yourselves into thinking that the upcoming "Big Battles" are going to scratch the raiding itch for the people that still want to group.

Which is a big disappointment because the raid/dungeon content in this game has always been so good. And any money/staff wasted on Infinite Crisis is far too much. You would think making a generic MOBA-clone with DC character would be really easy. Apparently not.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Brave New World posted:

Guardians. Never. Die.

Yeah a guardian could survive a group of 5+ but they would take a very long time to kill them all.
Guardians DPS does not multiply when tanking large groups in the way that wardens do.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^^ When fighting groups the best class is a Champ. Accept no substitute for your AOE murderfest. :black101:

With the current 100% xp bonus I might have to get back to leveling my Warden since he's at the level 40 dull spot. Still on the fence for if/when I'll order Helm's Deep, but the pocket item + HD preorder XP item + some free 100% xp boosters in game all stacking with the current bonus would be fun. Eregion and Moria would be a blur and Grand Stairs' slew of quests would probably give 3+ levels. :v:

Lawlicaust posted:

Which is a big disappointment because the raid/dungeon content in this game has always been so good. And any money/staff wasted on Infinite Crisis is far too much. You would think making a generic MOBA-clone with DC character would be really easy. Apparently not.

The thing with making MOBAs is that you're going to have to make it well enough to pull people from DOTA2 and LoL. If they think just using DC characters will be enough they're in for rough times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

^^^^ When fighting groups the best class is a Champ. Accept no substitute for your AOE murderfest. :black101:

Flowinprose had it right. If you want to eviscerate those 5 mobs in record time, you want a Champion. If you don't mind taking 2-3 times as long to watch as those 5 mobs impotently exhaust themselves to death as you lazily sit there with a beer in your hand, you want a Guardian.

From what I've heard, a Warden will kill those 5 mobs a little bit slower than the Champ, but immediately wonder if they can find 10 more mobs nearby to pull all at once.

• Locked thread