Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

So I'm looking for a recommendation for which FF to get on my Nexus 7 tablet. People in the Android Gaming thread said that FF4, a port of the DS version, is unreasonably difficult and made for people who had played the game before, and that 5 was the best bet. Out of 3, 4, and 5, which is the best fit for someone who liked 7 and loved 9?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

V, because the III and IV remakes are done by the same people, and are both unfair bullshit compared to the original games. Also, V is a great game, especially if you liked IX.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schiavona posted:

So I'm looking for a recommendation for which FF to get on my Nexus 7 tablet. People in the Android Gaming thread said that FF4, a port of the DS version, is unreasonably difficult and made for people who had played the game before, and that 5 was the best bet. Out of 3, 4, and 5, which is the best fit for someone who liked 7 and loved 9?

Seriously get V. Its goofy, mechanically very fun, quick tempo, and easy to play for a long stretch or pick up and put down for a short burst. The resume feature works like a charm as well so don't worry if you can't find a save point when you need to stop. It has some graphical ugliness due to the new game graphics (WHY) but you won't care when you're plowing through all the optional content because dammit its fun.

III is garbage. Like, the NES game which it is a remade version of is superior to it mechanically in every way. The people in charge of remaking it somehow made a 20 year old game worse on every level. Don't buy FFIII unless it comes with a voucher for a free copy of a much better game.

IV the remake is a very contentious game. If you had played older versions of IV there could be fun to be found. Without that I really can't recommend it as a way to dip your toes into the franchise because it expects you to already be very familiar with FFIV.

A re-re-release of FFIV should also be coming at some point which adds its sequel, The After Years in the updated graphical style. The After Years is abysmally terrible and as a bundle is a worse value because all of that After Years data will take up data space on your device.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 22, 2013

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
V is one of the best games in the series so do that.

Alternatively, use the epsxe app and replay ff9 because its the other best game in the series

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
FF4 iOS/Android is a very easy game actually. You MAY get hosed by the RNG and wipe during a random battle, but it's kind of rare. Though I think FF5 is a better value since it's a longer game with better mechanics, but FF4 is a fun little ride.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
My main problem with FF4DS is that you're never told that you get the best Augments by giving crappy ones to leaving party members. It really sucks if you're playing for the first time and don't know who leaves and don't want to be spoiled on that info. Other than that, I liked the game fine (though it's been a long time since I played it, and I never beat it, so maybe I'd change my mind if I tried again).

As for which game to get, I also recommend V since it has some of the best gameplay in the series, though I think IV is also decent, especially if you've played the original and want to revisit it. Even if not, it has a better story (though it's a twenty-year-old game, so it's still pretty goofy at times) and has a nice presentation with 3D graphics and voice acting and all that, while V is still sprite-based (except with uglier character sprites).

I'd skip III altogether as they made a NES RPG even more bullshit, and while Dimensions is decent it's the poor man's V, and why play Dimensions when you have access to the cheaper and better V?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I feel it's worth mentioning for all the praise FFXIV:ARR gets for its localisation, most of it is well localised inane mandatory sidequests, that game was loving awful story pacing, even for an MMO.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So I really like Final Fantasy War of the Lions and the Tactics Ogre remake might be my favorite game of all time. Are there any other similar games storywise? (I know gameplaywise I can find plenty of tactical rpgs) I already have FFXII but the gameplay there really kinda drags me down.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

So I really like Final Fantasy War of the Lions and the Tactics Ogre remake might be my favorite game of all time. Are there any other similar games storywise? (I know gameplaywise I can find plenty of tactical rpgs) I already have FFXII but the gameplay there really kinda drags me down.

If you're playing FFXII and its not IZJS know that there is basically a completely overhauled FFXII:Its Just Flat Out Better version available. Barring that what do you mean similar; I'm assuming you mean a focus on courtly intrigue? If thats the case none of the other mainline FF titles focus on that and I don't know many side titles that do either.

Vagrant Story if you can track it down shares a world and head writer with FFXII and FF: Tactics but its an old PS1 RPG and has some fairly obtuse mechanics that guides were basically built for.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Thanks for all the help guys. FF5 was on sale too, so double radness.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I think everyone should just stop getting mad about translations or mistranslations or whatever and just play FF14.

FF14:ARR is just a legitimately awesome game. The writing is loving amazing, the gameplay is fun, and it is filled with amazing nostalgia.

During server downtime last week, I actually wrote a very long winded review of the game.

quote:

At this point, I have played somewhere well north of 50 hours in Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. My character’s highest class is currently a level 31 White Mage. I have dabbled in multiple classes and spent a great deal of time exploring crafting as well. I have run about six dungeons. I think that the best place to start when talking about Final Fantasy XIV is to look back at my MMORPG history for a frame of reference for this review.

I have been playing MMORPGs seriously since 2005. I played World of Warcraft like it was a second job, but before I played World of Warcraft, I actually spent many months on Guild Wars. I thought the gameplay in Guild Wars was mostly average. I was mostly drawn into that game through the story. And while I spent many years slaving away at the raiding grindstone in World of Warcraft, the biggest reason I kept coming back to it was because I enjoyed the world and the story. As you can see, story has always been the biggest draw in games to me.

I began burning out on World of Warcraft mid-way through the Wrath of the Lich King expansion pack. Around that time, I stopped raiding full time and would only hop in to an occasional casual raid. My playtime diminished significantly. I took the time to go on an MMO journey and explore many of the other offerings out there. I caught up on the Guild Wars expansions. I dabbled in Runes of Magic, Allods Online, Darkfall, and more free to play MMORPGs that I can even remember. When the Cataclysm expansion for World of Warcraft came out, I played heavily for about two months before burning out for good. After five years of playing obsessively, I unsubscribed. And while I occasionally read about updates and patches, I haven’t been back to the game since.

I played Star Wars: The Old Republic for the free trial month, making it 80% through the story but never finished and never went back. Guild Wars 2 was the last major MMORPG I played. It was probably the release I was most excited for since I loved the first Guild Wars. I played for about two months but then gave up. I loved seeing what was new with the world, but there felt like there was much to be desired in the story. At that point, I had assumed that I was done with the MMORPG genre. I never played Final Fantasy XI.

The Final Fantasy series should be added to religion and politics as a thing you do not talk about in good company. The series has been incredibly polarizing with many people asserting that their favorite Final Fantasy is clearly the best in the series and after that one, the series obviously went down hill. I started playing the series back in the PlayStation era and went back to play the 8-bit and 16-bit games. My personal top games in the series are 6, 8, 9, 10, and 13, with Final Fantasy 8 being my most favorite. If this colors your judgment, so be it.

With all that done, we can look to the game at hand. I knew very little about Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn when going in to it. I had heard that 1.0 was a terrible mess and the company never collected monthly fees due to the mess. I know it was rebooted and re-released. That is where my knowledge ended. I had a beta key to try it out but never did. The game had honestly never even pinged on my radar. After hearing some buzz, I decided to give it a shot toward the end of last month and I am glad I did.

The game is set on the continent of Eorzea. Five years prior to the start of the game, a cataclysm happened during a battle between the armies of Eorzea and the encroaching Garlean Empire. One of the moons shattered and unleashed the dragon god Bahamut, who proceeded to scorch and wreck the lands.

The player character happens upon the scene as a traveling adventurer, new to the countries of Eorzea. The land is filled with a people rebuilding and still mourning the lost of those killed during the battle. The player character’s story starts with them helping the city-states deal with threats foreign and domestic. The player will eventually run across an evil masked mage and after a battle will be bestowed a crystal.

While I am only half way (I assume) through the story, this game’s story is already becoming one of my favorites. The voice acting, when used, is great and the writing is probably the best writing I have encountered in any MMORPG. In many translated games, and especially MMOs, the translation will be at best passable and at worse unintelligible. (You spoony bard!) This game feels like it was written from the ground up for English audiences. At no point do I feel like this is a translation. The writing is sharp and often very funny. Quests and random world events often have great pun-filled names. I cannot emphasized enough how great I think the writing is. Literally every item in the game from the most basic crafted items to any harvested item to any quest item has even just one sentence of flavor text. It is those kind of touches that make me really love a game.

Not only that, but the story of this game feels like a love letter to long-time Final Fantasy fans. Words like magitek, chocobos, gunblades, moogles, and materia will make long time fans of the series feel at home. There are even appearances of names like Biggs, Wedge, and Cid.

Some people may be put off from the gameplay since questing really is not changed too much from the generic “World of Warcraft” style. You pick up quests from quest givers, kill/collect 5x, return to quest giver and get rewards. However, this game does streamline a lot of frustrating aspects. If you’re on a kill collection quest, every kill WILL drop your required quest item. No more killing 50 boars for two boar tusks. You do not need to run to your kill to collect your loot. It is automatically deposited in your bag. Many side quests are peppered with cutscenes of interactions between your character and various NPCs.

There is no reason to ever create a second character in Final Fantasy XIV since you have the capability to level all class and gain all professions on one character. Once you reach level 10 in your starting class, you are allowed to switch classes and level up any desired class. Switching between classes takes a single button click. This is probably my favorite feature of Final Fantasy XIV. I have never ever been a major fan of creating secondary characters in MMORPGs. It isn’t cause I’m not interested in other classes, but it is that after spending so much time and collecting so many unique items on my main character, I abhor the idea of starting fresh on a new one.

Professions are also much different from what I have been used to in the past. There is no more queuing up 50 cloth jackets and walking away from the computer while the queue processes. Crafting in itself can be seen as a battle mini-game. All items crafted start with a durability and any action performed on the item reduces the durability. The two main actions that can be performed is increasing the progress and increasing the quality. Increasing the quality will increase the experience reward for completing it and increase the chance of producing a high quality item with extra stats. You must strike a balance between progress and quality to ensure you do not run out of durability before the item is completed.

The world of Eorzea is a beautiful and well realized landmass. This is not quite as much of an open world as something like World of Warcraft. You will encounter invisible walls. Just because you see something, does not mean you will ever get to stand there. This allows for, however, creation of amazingly beautiful scenery. From the forest city of Gridania, to the desert city of Ul’Dah, to the pirate island city of Limsa Lominsa, there is a great variety of scenery that will leave you excited to see where you will go next.

Nobuo Uematsu returns to craft an engaging and moving soundtrack that perfectly mingles with the world and cutscenes. The game is also filled with musical nods to past Final Fantasy’s. When fighting, a familiar battle theme will play and whenever your class levels, the classic style battle completion jingle plays.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn has been a game that I am anxious to play at every chance I get. When I’m not playing, I want to be playing. It might be because I went in with no expectations, but I have been greatly enjoying my experience. The game is filled with a great amount of nostalgic nods to previous games, but not so much so that people who have never picked up a Final Fantasy would be confused.

I would highly recommend this game to newcomers and Final Fantasy fans alike. You do not want to skip out on the opportunity to try it out. The game requires and initial purchase of $30 and has a subscription fee after 30 days of free playtime. Do not miss out on this game, or you will just have to blame yourself or God.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 22, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mega64 posted:

My main problem with FF4DS is that you're never told that you get the best Augments by giving crappy ones to leaving party members. It really sucks if you're playing for the first time and don't know who leaves and don't want to be spoiled on that info. Other than that, I liked the game fine (though it's been a long time since I played it, and I never beat it, so maybe I'd change my mind if I tried again).

That's exactly why the game rewards players for giving augments to temporary party members.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

FF14:ARR is just a legitimately awesome game. The writing is loving amazing, the gameplay is fun, and it is filled with amazing nostalgia.

I keep hearing this, but whenever I take a look at gameplay, it just looks like your typical theme park MMORPG where you just pick a class and get a samey, homogenized career path. Is there any room to make your own experiences, or is it just another MMO where you play the game how the devs want you to?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

S-Alpha posted:

I keep hearing this, but whenever I take a look at gameplay, it just looks like your typical theme park MMORPG where you just pick a class and get a samey, homogenized career path. Is there any room to make your own experiences, or is it just another MMO where you play the game how the devs want you to?

The latter. And the "amazing writing" seems to be humorous innuendo rather than good writing. If anything, the story unfolds super slowly.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

S-Alpha posted:

What does make your own experiences mean? Every character can be every class and you can add abilities from other classes you've leveled up so mechanically it steals from the best FF games.

It's still an MMO though so if you don't like them don't waste your time. Don't, like, think it isn't.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I think everyone should just stop getting mad about translations or mistranslations or whatever and just play FF14.

During server downtime last week, I actually wrote a very long winded review of the game.

I got sold of ARR hearing everyone fellating it in this thread and I really disappointed. Primarily, once you hit mid-game the plot disappears into morass of filler. After clearing what was basically an entire heavily padded arc of nothing in the late twenties to early thirties I was really hype when the game announced poo poo JUST GOT REAL THEY'VE SUMMONED TITAN !!! Cue the most circuitious and long winded chain of quest chains which had nothing to do with fighting Titan for the next eight hours of game time. :toot: Though aside from the seriously disappointing plot, the class design is incredibly linear with practically no meaningful choice in character builds and the crafting, whilst novel in its design, requires far, far too much of your time to do anything of value with it, you practically level up crafting classes at a 1:1 scale as combat classes!

S-Alpha posted:

It's very polished, but yes.

Barudak posted:

What does make your own experiences mean? Every character can be every class and you can add abilities from other classes you've leveled up so mechanically it steals from the best FF games.

It's still an MMO though so if you don't like them don't waste your time. Don't, like, think it isn't.

That may be true, but the choice you have in cross class abilities is limited there really is only one correct build for each class. Conjurer takes the shield from Arcanist and the casting buff from Thaumaturge, Dragoon takes the dots and self heals from Maurauder, etc.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 22, 2013

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The latter. And the "amazing writing" seems to be humorous innuendo rather than good writing. If anything, the story unfolds super slowly.

I have to agree with this here. I'm level 37, and it feels like the plot hasn't really moved forward an inch since the story opened out in the late teens. Everything else is humorous internet references. That are starting to tire me out. An NPC tells me "Shut up and take my gil", and I smile widely, turning every which way to point out to a friend that someone on the localization team must have been on 9gag, just like me...but there is no one there. I'm alone. With only the flickering glow of the monitor and my twelve dollar microbrew to keep me company.

ALL THAT SAID: This is the only MMO to have kept me interested past the first month since WoW. It doesn't really do anything that new or different other than letting you switch up classes on the fly, but it just feels so weirdly satisfying to play. It's just a very refined experience with lots of nice touches along the way.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

I personally play EVE with other goons, and even though it's fun enough, the game it's built around is still bad. I want to find an MMO with some actual gameplay, but with the same sort of depth to it all. Something where you can grief, scam, steal, manipulate, and still have a fair amount of player-created content too. Theme park MMOs are really boring, but I love the sandbox experience, something where you aren't locked into just PvE/PvP/Quests/Story.

I'm mainly basing this off of playing WoW for a little bit, and that was all just "pick race, pick class, and go on our ride and receive the same exact gameplay experience everyone else does", with no space for unique experiences.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 22, 2013

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I got sold of ARR hearing everyone fellating it in this thread and I really disappointed. Primarily, once you hit mid-game the plot disappears into morass of filler. After clearing what was basically an entire heavily padded arc of nothing in the late twenties to early thirties I was really hype when the game announced poo poo JUST GOT REAL THEY'VE SUMMONED TITAN !!! Cue the most circuitious and long winded chain of quest chains which had nothing to do with fighting Titan for the next eight hours of game time. :toot:

Haha. Yeah, I'm past that part. I don't know, that didn't quite bother me because I think like every single Final Fantasy game storyline has had you doing stupid poo poo when there's an impending threat. While that one storybeat that lasts from about 30-34 isn't great, I thought the rest of the story was pretty drat good.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

S-Alpha posted:

I personally play EVE with other goons, and even though it's fun enough, the game it's built around is still bad. I want to find an MMO with some actual gameplay, but with the same sort of depth to it all. Something where you can grief, scam, steal, manipulate, and still have a fair amount of player-created content too. Theme park MMOs are really boring, but I love the sandbox experience, something where you aren't locked into just PvE/PvP/Quests/Story.

I'm mainly basing this off of playing WoW for a little bit, and that was all just "pick race, pick class, and go on our ride and receive the same exact gameplay experience everyone else does", with no space for unique experiences.

It definitely isn't as open or sandbox as Eve. It is basically structured like WoW, except with a FF skin. Except you can change to any class you want to without making another alt so I guess that's new.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I got sold of ARR hearing everyone fellating it in this thread and I really disappointed. Primarily, once you hit mid-game the plot disappears into morass of filler. After clearing what was basically an entire heavily padded arc of nothing in the late twenties to early thirties I was really hype when the game announced poo poo JUST GOT REAL THEY'VE SUMMONED TITAN !!! Cue the most circuitious and long winded chain of quest chains which had nothing to do with fighting Titan for the next eight hours of game time. :toot: Though aside from the seriously disappointing plot, the class design is incredibly linear with practically no meaningful choice in character builds and the crafting, whilst novel in its design, requires far, far too much of your time to do anything of value with it, you practically level up crafting classes at a 1:1 scale as combat classes!
hield from Arcanist and the casting buff from Thaumaturge, Dragoon takes the dots and self heals from Maurauder, etc.

You shut your dirty mouth. That entire chain was hilarious in how aware it was. Plus it has you preparing to fight Tidus (sic)! And then the fetch quests were in fact apparently there to prove that you had what it took to fight Titan and then Y'shotla basically saying that they are still full of poo poo and that they were just doing it to do a get together. A double subversion.

It also has one of the funnest individual quests I've actually played in any MMO and I've basically played all of them.

e-About the actual writing, its clever and self aware. Which means its better than 99% of all other MMOs and better than most Final Fantasies of the last decade.

S-Alpha posted:

Play Age of Wushu.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 22, 2013

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You shut your dirty mouth. That entire chain was hilarious in how aware it was. Plus it has you preparing to fight Tidus (sic)! And then the fetch quests were in fact apparently there to prove that you had what it took to fight Titan and then Y'shotla basically saying that they are still full of poo poo and that they were just doing it to do a get together. A double subversion.

Yeah, I enjoyed that section when I realized that the whole quest chain was never really about me

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
On the topic of FFXIV, why did no one mention this sooner!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8RuIXX4ntc

Amano style Magitek armour. :allears:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pesky Splinter posted:

I don't know, but I also see no one is mentioning the music either. Step it up everybody. :colbert: Whoops someone actually did sorry about that Mordiceius.

I would post Titan's battle music, but I can't find it on youtube so have the best Chocobo theme that is not Crazy Chocobo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFaDpru8kB0

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 22, 2013

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It also has one of the funnest individual quests I've actually played in any MMO and I've basically played all of them.

e-About the actual writing, its clever and self aware. Which means its better than 99% of all other MMOs and better than most Final Fantasies of the last decade.

Just because the came points out the stupendous amount of filler it makes you wade through doesn't make it anymore enjoyable to wade through it, the mentor lady complaining about it being bullshit felt more like the game trying to have its cake and eat considering you still have to spend a ridiculous amount of time doing practically nothing of worth in the plot. I mean you don't even get straight to business in the side quests, getting each item spirals off into its own mini-chains of doing menial tasks for random NPCs, getting to Brayflox's and having to queue for over an hour in Duty Finder just to advance the main quest was the turd cherry on top. Honestly I think you're giving what's ultimately a well polished but somewhat cookie-cutter WoW clone with it's fair share of questionable design decisions far too much credit, the leveling itself is actually far less engaging than WoW and the main quest didn't go anywhere before I gave up.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

Would you believe me if I said that mount has story presence and is one of the most important characters in the game's finale?

Because she is. Maggie. :allears:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's like I said, this game is filled with nostalgia. Chocobos, moogles, magitek, gunblades, materia, Cid, Biggs, Wedge.

To me, it felt like a love letter to fans of the series.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Mordiceius posted:

It's like I said, this game is filled with nostalgia. Chocobos, moogles, magitek, gunblades, materia, Cid, Biggs, Wedge.

To me, it felt like a love letter to fans of the series.

This, basically. It's the first Final Fantasy game since 12 that's felt like a Final Fantasy game. It's fun enough for what it is, and you can take or leave a lot of it. It's an MMO done in MMO fashion that trims almost all the fat--leveling takes time, yeah, but you don't have to invest eighty hours of your life into it to see results. It slows down as you get near the level cap, but then you get access to bigger and badder events and bosses.

The dungeons are really pretty too, and there's some clever boss fights. The gameplay that is there has been highly polished and does exactly what it needs to. It's probably the most user-friendly MMO I've played. I haven't renewed after my free trial ended, but I'll probably pick up a new subscription when they announce the first content patch and keep playing, and that's more than I can say for any other MMO I've played.

At least it's better than FF13. Plus the Titan boss battle music is the best boss fight music in the series.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Just because the came points out the stupendous amount of filler it makes you wade through doesn't make it anymore enjoyable to wade through it, the mentor lady complaining about it being bullshit felt more like the game trying to have its cake and eat considering you still have to spend a ridiculous amount of time doing practically nothing of worth in the plot. I mean you don't even get straight to business in the side quests, getting each item spirals off into its own mini-chains of doing menial tasks for random NPCs, getting to Brayflox's and having to queue for over an hour in Duty Finder just to advance the main quest was the turd cherry on top. Honestly I think you're giving what's ultimately a well polished but somewhat cookie-cutter WoW clone with it's fair share of questionable design decisions far too much credit, the leveling itself is actually far less engaging than WoW and the main quest didn't go anywhere before I gave up.

Maybe you should run the storyline as a tank, Ive never had to wait for any queues to complete my storyline :smug:. And honestly, the "filler" isn't really that long as long as you aren't a cheapass that isn't willing to spend a few gil to warp to the places.

Mechanically speaking, from a MMO standpoint, its really solid. It might not have the amount of content yet than behemoth like WoW does, but the actual instances are great fun and the storyline is way better than its offerings. Sorry you didnt enjoy it.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 22, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

S-Alpha posted:

I was close to trying FFXIV until I remembered it was an MMORPG. I don't like MMO's for one (admittedly spergy) reason: the other players. I tried WoW for, like, two months and then had to quit because it was basically the video game version of reading Youtube comments. That was like four years ago so I wonder if maybe things have changed in the MMO scene but as it was, I could hardly stand to play because I felt like I was surrounded by a bunch of 15 year olds who were just discovering how to curse.

I might be willing to try it if it's not like that. It does sound cool as it is. Because no matter how cool it is, that sort of behavior would turn me off instantly. If people magically all agreed to talk in-character, it'd be an instant buy from me. I realize that sounds corny but it would be pretty cool and contribute immensely to an MMO experience.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 22, 2013

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Captain Mog posted:

I was close to trying FFXIV until I remembered it was an MMORPG. I don't like MMO's for one (admittedly spergy) reason: the other players. I tried WoW for, like, two months and then had to quit because it was basically the video game version of reading Youtube comments. That was like four years ago so I wonder if maybe things have changed in the MMO scene but as it was, I could hardly stand to play because I felt like I was surrounded by a bunch of 15 year olds who were just discovering how to curse.

I might be willing to try it if it's not like that. It does sound cool as it is. Because no matter how cool it is, that sort of behavior would turn me off instantly. If people magically all agreed to talk in-character, it'd be an instant buy from me. I realize that sounds corny but it would be pretty cool and contribute immensely to an MMO experience.

If you dont want to interact with the community then just dont interact with them. You can mute all channels, join the goon FC in excalibur and never have to deal with anyone but goons. Roll a tank like a gladiator or marauder, get instant queues and for the most part dictate the flow of dungeons runs.

The game is what? 25 bucks in most places? You can easily get your moneys worth.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD
I feel like a bit of an idiot for it now, but I bought FFVII on Steam. It's completely broken; first time I started it, the Square-Enix launcher opened and asked for my Square Enix account details, but apparently it wouldn't accept the account I use for FFXI, so I decided to make a new one. The username I tried to take was already taken, as was every subsequent attempt including things like "vhvf8vu48iid9dcj" just to see if it was arbitrarily denying, and now the launcher is stuck at the "please choose an untaken username" screen with no obvious way to go back.
Any ideas? I've googled the problem and all I can find is "this game is broken, I've spent days trying to get through to S-E support only to have my support ticket closed and they don't reply to emails" with no solution.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Captain Mog posted:

Well, you could always check out the roleplaying scene, so instead of 15 year olds learning to curse you get 15 years old sperging how your character couldn't possibly do this or do that because of reasons, at which point they'll laugh and mock you on the forums and tell you to get off the server you loller.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Electric Phantasm posted:

I would post Titan's battle music, but I can't find it on youtube so have the best Chocobo theme that is not Crazy Chocobo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFaDpru8kB0
This post inspired me to go find Titan's theme... but the youtube link I had to it a month ago is down :(

Anyone?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This post inspired me to go find Titan's theme... but the youtube link I had to it a month ago is down :(

Anyone?

The fight actually has five different themes, correlating to the phase the fight is in. When people talk about the "Titan theme", though, they usually mean the fifth one.

Here's Phase 1, Phase 2, Phase 3 and Phase 4.

Terper fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 24, 2013

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Terper posted:

The fight actually has five different themes, correlating to the phase the fight is in. When people talk about the "Titan theme", though, they usually mean the fifth one.

I've done Titan quite a bit and never knew it had actual lyrics. It really is the best FF boss music in a long while. :allears:

Edit: Special shout-out to the Tribunus Boss Music for its sick-nasty You're Not Alone leitmotif.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Oct 24, 2013

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Terper posted:

The link I had was all five concatenated, but yes, I did mean the fifth one. Thanks!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

A shrubbery! posted:

I feel like a bit of an idiot for it now, but I bought FFVII on Steam. It's completely broken; first time I started it, the Square-Enix launcher opened and asked for my Square Enix account details, but apparently it wouldn't accept the account I use for FFXI, so I decided to make a new one. The username I tried to take was already taken, as was every subsequent attempt including things like "vhvf8vu48iid9dcj" just to see if it was arbitrarily denying, and now the launcher is stuck at the "please choose an untaken username" screen with no obvious way to go back.
Any ideas? I've googled the problem and all I can find is "this game is broken, I've spent days trying to get through to S-E support only to have my support ticket closed and they don't reply to emails" with no solution.

Keep in mind that S-E's account system is so completely broken that if you haven't upgraded an account to whatever asinine account format the game wants it won't accept it and the launcher will likely break. It seems like they change their account system every year or so for arbitrary reasons (or at least that they keep multiples).

You want to login in at this one, NOT this one. If it hasn't upgraded it will ask you to upgrade it. Then you should be able to login with the FFVII launcher.

No idea why they have multiple sites for this crap.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The best part of FF14 is all the NPCs telling you to sodomize yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Phantasium posted:

Keep in mind that S-E's account system is so completely broken that if you haven't upgraded an account to whatever asinine account format the game wants it won't accept it and the launcher will likely break. It seems like they change their account system every year or so for arbitrary reasons (or at least that they keep multiples).

You want to login in at this one, NOT this one. If it hasn't upgraded it will ask you to upgrade it. Then you should be able to login with the FFVII launcher.

No idea why they have multiple sites for this crap.

Thanks, It turns out I had created an account on membership.square-enix.com but not 'finished' it by giving them a display name and security question. Re-downloading FFVII now to see if it works, but if it's how I think it is (I've tried re-installing it before) the launcher will just go directly to the "Please choose a username that isn't taken" page without letting me log in with the account I've just fixed.
It didn't prompt me to upgrade my account or anything, so should that be okay? I don't have any games associated with my account because I have Tomb Raider, FFVII and FFXI all purchased through Steam so I don't have CD keys to put in.

Rant time ahead:

FFXI is the worst for accounts. Not only do you need one of these square-enix accounts, but a PlayOnline account too, and both accounts have different personal ID numbers, usernames, email addresses and passwords. And then there's the whole "Do I log in to square-enix.com or playonline.com to check my account" thing, and purchasing "services" and "options." :psyduck:

Plus the current version of FFXI on Steam is outdated due to the update coming through PlayOnline rather than Steam, so I have to make a shortcut on the desktop to the PlayOnline executable in my Steam folder to play.

I'm so glad I have a friend who's kind of OCD about online accounts and took the time to figure all this poo poo out, we call it a mandatory intelligence test to make sure you're smart enough to play the game.

e: Yeah, from a fresh install, opening the launcher takes me right here:

There's no way to go back to the sign-in screen, and it doesn't accept anything I type in. The Nickname in the box is the one tied to my S-E account.

e2: Oh wow. Typed in some random letters and it decided to work. I guess I should get used to my new nickname, anshdj574hd!

A shrubbery! fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 24, 2013