Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bitprophet posted:

brb, reinstalling all the old games in a fit of nostalgia. hm...realmyst or 10th anniversary edition...

Well, they just mentioned on the Obduction updates that they're about to patch RealMyst to include a Classic-Mode where you move from point to point as it was in original Myst, so hey, nostalgia and better graphics.

Obduction will apparently have the same system, with the user able to select a free-moving mode or a 'screens' mode where you move from predefined node to predefined node. I'm really not sure about that; I feel like good world-design and user experience design would need them to commit to one or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Gaspy Conana posted:

:smithfrog: I figured that may backfire on me. Yeah, but it's going to be comfortably nestled in a secret area.

What do you mean backfire?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Wendell posted:

What do you mean backfire?

I just don't want to give the impression that I'm crapping up my game with a bunch of references to goony stuff.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MikeJF posted:

Well, they just mentioned on the Obduction updates that they're about to patch RealMyst to include a Classic-Mode where you move from point to point as it was in original Myst, so hey, nostalgia and better graphics.

Obduction will apparently have the same system, with the user able to select a free-moving mode or a 'screens' mode where you move from predefined node to predefined node. I'm really not sure about that; I feel like good world-design and user experience design would need them to commit to one or the other.

A surprisingly large percentage of the Obduction backers are buying the physical game box. I suspect a lot of the folks backing this want something as close to "original Myst experience + higher resolution graphics" as possible.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Did anyone think the banhammer reference crapped up Morrowind? Or that the Zybourne Clock one ruined New Vegas? Don't be so insecure!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Just don't pull a Borderlands 2 and have the references be entire hamfisted questlines.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

a medical mystery posted:

Just don't pull a Borderlands 2 and have the references be entire hamfisted questlines.

Borderlands 2 just had referential side-quests. Except for Tiny Tina's and that was in-character.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A surprisingly large percentage of the Obduction backers are buying the physical game box. I suspect a lot of the folks backing this want something as close to "original Myst experience + higher resolution graphics" as possible.

Part of it is that if you want to donate more than $50 or so you can't NOT get the physical game box.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

macnbc posted:

Part of it is that if you want to donate more than $50 or so you can't NOT get the physical game box.

Yes, you can. Just put a higher donation amount in the box and select a lower tier.

Unless of course you want the other rewards from the higher tiers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

bitprophet posted:

brb, reinstalling all the old games in a fit of nostalgia. hm...realmyst or 10th anniversary edition...

10th anniversary edition.

"RealMyst" was a shoddy quick cash-in where they ported Myst to a full 3D engine. It wasn't even properly done like Myst 5, so its just a horrible abomination of Myst. Its REALLY ugly. :stare: And since being breathtakingly beautiful and aesthetic was part of what sold Myst, that's unforgivable.

On the bright side, RealMyst lets you walk anywhere, not just on the prerendered nodes, and lets you look anywhere, which can help with some puzzles (although it makes other puzzles harder, since your perspective isn't forced, you can miss things)

Really just play Myst (Anniversary edition)

MikeJF posted:

NONONO. RealMyst is NOT "better graphics". RealMyst is a loving ugly abomination.

Holy poo poo its SOOO low poly. It was ugly when it came out, and that was years ago. It looks like Quake loving 2. The original Myst, even in its terrible low resolution, looks WAY more pretty.

That said, for Obduction it'll be fine to have the free-moving mode. That's how Myst 5 was and if its designed for it, it'll work well enough. (I'm glad they're keeping the nodes view too) Especially since real-time graphics can do some pretty insane things nowadays.

As for doing both; Myst 5 did both and since it was designed for it, it wasn't so bad. As I said you lose something in that puzzles aren't necessarily forced perspective, but you can design around that, use tricks to grab the player's attention anyways. The bigger concern with that in Myst 5 was moving to real-time versus prerendered graphics.

I'm honestly a little sad they're not doing pre-rendered still. Making a pre-rendered game with modern CG on something like Pixar's level would look really amazing. :swoon:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 22, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Megazver posted:

Borderlands 2 just had referential side-quests. Except for Tiny Tina's and that was in-character.

Tiny Tina was the worst part of Borderlands 2 by far, so I'm not sure why you're using that as a defense.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Zaphod42 posted:

The original Myst, even in its terrible low resolution, looks WAY more pretty.

Even if the original Myst was real-time instead of pre-rendered it would look worse than RealMyst.

e: Also, RealMyst most definitely did not look bad in the year 2000. :psyduck:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 22, 2013

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Tiny Tina was the worst part of Borderlands 2 by far, so I'm not sure why you're using that as a defense.

Look at you and your terrible opinions.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Zaphod42 posted:

10th anniversary edition.

"RealMyst" was a shoddy quick cash-in where they ported Myst to a full 3D engine. It wasn't even properly done like Myst 5, so its just a horrible abomination of Myst. Its REALLY ugly. :stare: And since being breathtakingly beautiful and aesthetic was part of what sold Myst, that's unforgivable.

On the bright side, RealMyst lets you walk anywhere, not just on the prerendered nodes, and lets you look anywhere, which can help with some puzzles (although it makes other puzzles harder, since your perspective isn't forced, you can miss things)

Really just play Myst (Anniversary edition)

NONONO. RealMyst is NOT "better graphics". RealMyst is a loving ugly abomination.

Holy poo poo its SOOO low poly. It was ugly when it came out, and that was years ago. It looks like Quake loving 2. The original Myst, even in its terrible low resolution, looks WAY more pretty.

I disagree. I can play RealMyst at 1080p. Good luck doing that with 10th anniversary. Also in 10th anniversary they had to remove some of the music files to make the game fit on 1 CD. RealMyst doesn't have that problem. On top of that you get a night/day cycle in RealMyst that's gorgeous (just head out to the oasis in Selenitic and watch the sun set sometime. It's amazing.) where 10th anniversary is as lifelessly static as it ever has been. Not to mention you get the bonus age in RealMyst that sets things up for Riven.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Megazver posted:

Look at you and your terrible opinions.

Sorry for liking jokes to actually be funny instead of "OMG SO WACKY AND RANDOM" bullshit?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Sorry for liking jokes to actually be funny instead of "OMG SO WACKY AND RANDOM" bullshit?
I rather liked Tiny Tina, so let's leave it at "she was polarizing" and focus back on Kickstarters.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
Hey look a Kickstarter draws near!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crashgem/churbles-a-beautiful-3d-rpg-adventure

This is also from a friend of mine. I'm aware that it might not get a lot of traction here and that's ok. The game will be plenty fun, Barrett has a long history of gaming and the design he's shared with me so far is sound. He's been working on the project in his after hours time for almost a year now with his own money, and he's got a team that's rallied behind him. He has continually cut and reduced the scope of the project, and is doing his level best to keep a grasp on what is real and achievable.

But.

Barrett is an untested developer. A level 1 jabroni like all the others, sitting in the tavern with starry eyes and a lust for adventure. He's well aware that you can't swing a dead cat and not hit some upstart with a Unity SDK ready to make their brilliant idea into a reality. I believe in him and I think he'll deliver-- I wouldn't have posted here otherwise. I do think he's due for some surprises along the way, the sort of pitfalls you've got to jump and/or tumble into first hand.

The game is family friendly, but he's not skimping on the RPGness of it all. It isn't a furry game, though he's not going to turn down furdollars from people excited by hamsters without pants.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

madjackmcmad posted:

Oh lord. The sheer :3: of this is overwhelming. The only question is how much I can afford to back this for.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Oh man, that run animation is ADORABLE :3:

Obviously still a bit rough, but given that they're only asking $15k, that should be a super-easy fund.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

This is :3: as all get-out. If I had any expendable income this month, I would've totally backed this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I thought she was VERY well written (Go Anthony Burch and Ash Burch!) and the funniest part of the whole game BY FAR.

I think its more just not your style of humor, rather than not being funny at all. Hmmm? :colbert:

macnbc posted:

I disagree. I can play RealMyst at 1080p. Good luck doing that with 10th anniversary. Also in 10th anniversary they had to remove some of the music files to make the game fit on 1 CD. RealMyst doesn't have that problem. On top of that you get a night/day cycle in RealMyst that's gorgeous (just head out to the oasis in Selenitic and watch the sun set sometime. It's amazing.) where 10th anniversary is as lifelessly static as it ever has been. Not to mention you get the bonus age in RealMyst that sets things up for Riven.

Dude resolution obviously isn't everything. I can run something like Quake 1 at 1920x1080 and it doesn't look better than playing Half-Life 2 at 1024x768.

The polygons... they're just so sharp and garish. I feel like it has no art direction. We've both said our opinions on the matter though, so I'll just leave it there. Sounds like personal preference.

Thanks for telling me about the day/night cycle though, I didn't know about that. I'm going to have to go link to Selenitic indeed. :3:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 23, 2013

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
A few other people in here backed LIONESS, right? They sent out some of the digital backer rewards today (The 7 little mini-games you get for pre-ordering)

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
Looks like the creator of the Red Baron games from the 90s is doing a remake.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madottergames/red-baron

I never played them because I was never a fan of flight sims, but its nice to see something go for nostalgia besides old console games.

Not sure about the market for a WWI flight sim in this era is though.

Krabkolash fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 23, 2013

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

That looks pretty great. Back in the day I played a lot of both the regular game and the multiplayer TSN version when I could beg my parents to pony up those expensive TSN fees. I lost my interest in the flight sim genre seemingly at about the same time most everyone else (weird how such a PC main stay just cratered), but a game with the right mix of sim and arcade might rope me back in as I love WW1 & WW2 era flight.

I've never been interested in "MOBA" games but their idea of combining elements of it with a WW1 flight sim sounds like an interesting way to give fight sim multiplayer combat some structure without needing to sim the whole battlefield. Though I bet they are going to get some blow back about it being pandering.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I have kind of mixed feelings about this Kickstarter, but I'll share it here.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/prototypex/timothy-zahns-parallax-turn-based-4x-galactic-conq

Timothy Zahn's Parallax, a sci-fi 4X with alien races from Zahn's books such as the Zhrrizh and Mohdri. Downsides include a rough first Kickstarter that got cancelled, an inexperienced lead designer, a tendency to rely on the backers for ideas, and the mummy's curse that seems to surround any space 4X since GalCiv 2 (or arguably MOO2). On the other hand, they've been talking about trying to make it with less focus on complexity and micromanagement and more on diplomacy and bizzare alien races, plus I'm a huge fan of Timothy Zahn's books and anything that lets me take over the galaxy as a race of telepathic coral or giant manta rays that live on Jupiter is fine by me.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

JordanKai posted:

Even if the original Myst was real-time instead of pre-rendered it would look worse than RealMyst.

e: Also, RealMyst most definitely did not look bad in the year 2000. :psyduck:

I looked up screenshots, never having seen it before, but it looks more on the level of Morrowind than Quake II.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

I have kind of mixed feelings about this Kickstarter, but I'll share it here.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/prototypex/timothy-zahns-parallax-turn-based-4x-galactic-conq

Timothy Zahn's Parallax, a sci-fi 4X with alien races from Zahn's books such as the Zhrrizh and Mohdri. Downsides include a rough first Kickstarter that got cancelled, an inexperienced lead designer, a tendency to rely on the backers for ideas, and the mummy's curse that seems to surround any space 4X since GalCiv 2 (or arguably MOO2). On the other hand, they've been talking about trying to make it with less focus on complexity and micromanagement and more on diplomacy and bizzare alien races, plus I'm a huge fan of Timothy Zahn's books and anything that lets me take over the galaxy as a race of telepathic coral or giant manta rays that live on Jupiter is fine by me.

I think that was brought up in the Awful Kickstarter thread. Zahn has almost nothing to do with the game, and the developer doesn't appear to have any experience with writing computer games. Then there is this:

quote:

The backer community will drive the vast majority of the stuff that the player sees and interacts with, such as:

The Alien races, to include their appearance, alien-specific technologies, and their strengths and weaknesses
The Factions (the playable teams/ alien race civilizations) and their general behavior and tendencies
The different approaches a Faction may have toward galactic expansion, with each Variant/ Subfaction being, essentially, an alternate history
The appearance and capabilities of the various Space Fleets
Technology items, their benefits, research difficulty, and relationship to each other
Secondary indigenous races in the galaxy
Random Galactic events for the player to deal with or benefit from
The actual dialogue for the game

A lot of the behind-the-scenes stuff, like the software architecture and code, will be strictly for the developers (and is already planned out/ prototyped), and the core "vision" for the game is set, but the backers will have significant input into the actual game content.

:bravo:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Player-guided design can work well (see: Warframe), but it really needs developers willing and able to wrangle the public vision. And that takes proof you've done it before, in a bit of a catch-22.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Gah, sorry - I own both realMyst and MME, so the decision is merely which one I felt like trying to get running on my modern computers first :)

I don't think realMyst looked all that bad when I last played it a few years ago. Being able to run at a modern screen resolution & move like a "modern" first person perspective game definitely made up for any potential lack. Saw the announcement about the update & almost definitely gonna buy that sucker day one!

The fact that Masterpiece Edition only works on a Windows XP virtual machine - and only barely then (crashes frequently) means I'm gonna be trying realMyst again soon :)

Don't suppose there's any dedicated Myst threads anywhere? I feel bad gumming up this one.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

bitprophet posted:

Don't suppose there's any dedicated Myst threads anywhere? I feel bad gumming up this one.

There's the adventure games thread, and if Obduction is successful I'll set up a thread specifically for it and Myst-related stuff, but at the moment there isn't specifically a Myst one.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bitprophet posted:

The fact that Masterpiece Edition only works on a Windows XP virtual machine - and only barely then (crashes frequently) means I'm gonna be trying realMyst again soon :)

Or Myst in ScummVM. Maybe, I'm not sure if they finished it yet.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Shalinor posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crashgem/churbles-a-beautiful-3d-rpg-adventure

Oh man, that run animation is ADORABLE :3:

Obviously still a bit rough, but given that they're only asking $15k, that should be a super-easy fund.

Awesome, I'll pass on the comments here, it'll be a morale booster for sure.

monster on a stick posted:

I think that was brought up in the Awful Kickstarter thread. Zahn has almost nothing to do with the game, and the developer doesn't appear to have any experience with writing computer games.

There's some serious naivete going on here on the part of that KS team. You figure Zahn has made a career of writing books, finishing them, and seeing them get to market. He must know that's an equally tall order for game development. Is there some sort of virus among bald SF writers that makes them think they can just will video games into existence based on quality prose?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Alternatively, you could tell him you'll give him $50 to name the protagonist of his next book.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

madjackmcmad posted:

There's some serious naivete going on here on the part of that KS team. You figure Zahn has made a career of writing books, finishing them, and seeing them get to market. He must know that's an equally tall order for game development. Is there some sort of virus among bald SF writers that makes them think they can just will video games into existence based on quality prose?

He's not involved with the game, outside of licensing some of the alien races he's created for a check. Pretty different than Stephenson's KS.

Trivia: Gabe Newell was involved with Stephenson's KS. He doesn't look very happy.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Prop Wash posted:

Alternatively, you could tell him you'll give him $50 to name the protagonist of his next book.

Weedlord BonerHitler is the only name I would pay to make that happen.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Drifter posted:

Weedlord BonerHitler is the only name I would pay to make that happen.

Thrawn Lucascansuckmycock. It's German.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Stumbled upon a new Kickstarter from a few days ago called Confederate Express. (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/829559023/confederate-express)

It's a "strategy oriented tactical RPG" in a Zombie apocalypse.

quote:

Confederate Express is all about exploration, fighting enemies, and making your way towards the main goal: trying to survive while delivering a package. Packages vary by size, weight and fragility; which makes every delivery a unique experience, ranging from a quick 15-minute tasks, all the way to a challenging journey throughout various events and locations. The more difficult the delivery, the greater the rewards: mercenaries, gear, weapons and ultimately - greater challenges.

The art and animation looks great and to boot they are only asking for 10k$!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1vayggszdo

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Le0 posted:

Stumbled upon a new Kickstarter from a few days ago called Confederate Express. (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/829559023/confederate-express)

Holy poo poo this looks really good.

Look at that loving animation you guys.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Le0 posted:

Totally backed, this is how you do old-school game aesthetics right.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Oct 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Krabkolash posted:

Looks like the creator of the Red Baron games from the 90s is doing a remake.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madottergames/red-baron

I never played them because I was never a fan of flight sims, but its nice to see something go for nostalgia besides old console games.

Not sure about the market for a WWI flight sim in this era is though.

The Wings Kickstarter failed quite hard. Cinemaware do plan to try again, though.