Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Any Thief game, Dishonored which is basically a spiritual successor thief game, and the Splinter Cell games, except that there are some lovely ones in there and all the best ones are old. All of them provide skulking in shadows, being patient and waiting for your moment, clonking people on the head and then stuffing their unconscious corpses into those same shadows so no one ever sees them again. Thief also involves stuffing all their valuables into your pants to fence later :v:.

I haven't played it yet but I've heard Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena is stealthy and doesn't suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

The Riddick games are good but I can't recall, I think there might've been a few sections with forced combat. Not too many though.

Deus Ex Human Revolution would be a good suggestion but there are also (horrible) boss fights in that one.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There's a new version of HR coming out soon which is supposed to improve the boss fights.

benloran
Aug 26, 2009

Also check out The Dark Mod. It started out as a Thief-like total conversion mod for Doom 3, but now it's standalone, and it's free. It only has fan-made individual missions, not an overall story, but some of them are pretty good, and it comes with a nice tutorial mission.

benloran fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 16, 2013

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I finished the first chapter of The Wolf Among Us recently, and now I'm really hankering for some more mystery solving type games. I love detective work in videogames, so I might have already worked my way through the a decent crop of them, LA Noire and the Phoenix Wright series for example, but if anyone has any other recommendations I'd love to hear them.

I don't mind if it's point-and-click or any other format, I just love me some mysteries, evidence collecting, interviewing people of interest etc, etc.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Roach Warehouse posted:

I don't mind if it's point-and-click or any other format, I just love me some mysteries, evidence collecting, interviewing people of interest etc, etc.

If you don't mind some paranormal in your adventure games, there's some mystery/investigation in the Blackwell games especially the first two (Legacy and Unbound.) They're stories where the protagonists help spirits cross over by finding how how the ghosts died, for the most part.

There's also the classic Tex Murphy games from the 90s if you can deal with the mouse-only movement system.

EDIT: and the classic Police Questgames (available in a bundle at gog.com) but be warned they're more '80s Hollywood cop style than being terribly realistic. Also, the first game is a dick when it comes to making you follow police procedure.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

Roach Warehouse posted:

I finished the first chapter of The Wolf Among Us recently, and now I'm really hankering for some more mystery solving type games. I love detective work in videogames, so I might have already worked my way through the a decent crop of them, LA Noire and the Phoenix Wright series for example, but if anyone has any other recommendations I'd love to hear them.

How much content is in that game, time-wise? I'm thinking of getting it since I watched a guy stream the very beginning of the game, but I don't want to pay 25 bucks for less than 2-3 hours of content.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Roach Warehouse posted:

The new Shadowrun is basically you playing as a cyberpunk detective with Xcom combat.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

natetimm posted:

The new Shadowrun is basically you playing as a cyberpunk detective with Xcom combat.
This is true, but with the caveat that you don't really have to do any thinking/problemsolving yourself, it's a very linear game and you basically just go through the motions and click things.
That said, however, it is an excellently written story and the plot develops pretty nicely. Absolutely worth playing just for the story and atmosphere alone.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

MooCowlian posted:

So this is a pretty broad question. I just ordered a 3DS. Having not owned a handheld that wasn't an ipod touch since the GBA, any highlights I should be picking out? I pretty much bought it because pokemon, but there must be a fair few other things worth getting from the past however many years the DS has been around.

You should play "The World Ends With You", an actiony JRPG type game. It's amazing and has very cool gameplay that really takes advantage of what a DS can do. Also, don't worry that your first impression of the protagonist is a whiny video-game-protagonist teenager, part of the story includes him realizing that being a selfish whiner is dumb, and to take an interest in other people. (mild general plot spoiler)

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Rashomon posted:

You should play "The World Ends With You", an actiony JRPG type game. It's amazing and has very cool gameplay that really takes advantage of what a DS can do. Also, don't worry that your first impression of the protagonist is a whiny video-game-protagonist teenager, part of the story includes him realizing that being a selfish whiner is dumb, and to take an interest in other people. (mild general plot spoiler)

Already played that on iOS. When I say played, I mean I'm totally stuck and have no idea how to progress. I've picked up Etrian Odyssey, and I'll probably leave it there until I've completed that, pokemon and monster hunter 3. Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Aww, darn. I thought I was totally gonna blow your mind with that one.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Roach Warehouse posted:

If you can get it running you might wanna try Discworld Noir. You play as Ankh-Morpork's only private eye and there's plenty of investigating and interviewing to do, you even have a notebook to cross reference clues. It's also pretty funny whether or not you're a fan of the Discworld novels. If you're not, it might even make you into one.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Tagra posted:

Any Thief game, Dishonored which is basically a spiritual successor thief game, and the Splinter Cell games, except that there are some lovely ones in there and all the best ones are old. All of them provide skulking in shadows, being patient and waiting for your moment, clonking people on the head and then stuffing their unconscious corpses into those same shadows so no one ever sees them again. Thief also involves stuffing all their valuables into your pants to fence later :v:.

I haven't played it yet but I've heard Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena is stealthy and doesn't suck.

The last Splinter Cell (Blacklist) is actually pretty good and closer to the old games than the new ones, so the only ones you have to avoid are Double Agent and Conviction. I actually enjoyed Conviction but it's definitely not a great game.

Blacklist does have three (I think?) forced combat sections, though. Fortunately two of them involve using stealth through the game's signature combat stealth mechanics. Unfortunately one of those is basically a stupid QTE fight, but it was honestly the only part of the game that to me didn't do the series justice.

Escape From Butcher Bay is a lot better than Assault on Dark Athena, but Assault on Dark Athena comes a remade version of Escape From Butcher Bay, so you really can't go wrong with it.

Edit: That said, if you're going to play Splinter Cell, the first three games (Chaos Theory in particular) are by far the best ones in the series.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 17, 2013

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I don't know if anything like this exists, but here's to hoping.

I'd like an open-world adventure game with customizable player housing.

I've played Skyrim, Oblivion, FO3/NV, and I love them all. But I am hoping for something else. Something where you not only make your mark on the world but become a resident of it.

Alternatively, are there any good MMOs out there with decent player housing? I really loved SWG's system of having entire player villages, though the rest of the game was bunk. I doubt any other MMOs have that level of customization with player homes, but I'm curious what out there right now has player housing at all.

khy fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 17, 2013

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Wildstar has player housing that I've heard is pretty good but haven't played it myself. I think it's in a closed beta right now, not sure if they're still giving keys.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

I've been playing Rune Factory a lot and it's made me want to stockpile some good old fashioned skill grinding games - games where you perform an action, get exp toward the skill that controls said action, then eventually get better/faster/more quality at the action. Like Elder Scrolls, but not lovely, and preferably with skills that don't cap out immediately so it actually feels like an accomplishment to get higher skill levels (even if you're mindlessly grinding it :v:).

Yes I like grinding skills. I used to play Dragonrealms on AOL and I think it broke my brain.

Any platform will do (even browser/MMO/MUD whatever) but preferably with no subscription fees.

Now I must go get more exp in my "eating" skill in Rune Factory...

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm hunting for any PSP games for a buddy of mine, as a gift of a kind. Games which she likes involve paths and areas.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about: What would fit is for example the tower defence genre. Another brilliant example is the gameboy game called "Pyramids of Ra".

This probably does not help here much, but the PSP in question is homebrew enabled, so whatever can be done via homebrew will do just fine.

Thanks!

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I want to play Snooker, preferably PC but I do own every current gen platform if there aren't any good PC titles.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Luminaflare posted:

I want to play Snooker, preferably PC but I do own every current gen platform if there aren't any good PC titles.

Apparently a snooker mode will be added to Pool Nation, a very shiny PC game just released on Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/254440/

But it might not be for a while. Still, maybe something to keep an eye on.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
Virtual Pool 4 might be your best bet. Haven't tried it myself, but played a lot of virtual Pool 3. http://vponline.celeris.com/

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm not short on games just at the moment but does anyone know any good games where both you and your enemies don't take much to kill? I loved Deus Ex on realistic, Fallout 3 with 3x damage and I'm playing ranger mode on Metro 2033 now. I just really enjoy the tension when one misstep or enemy overlooked could end you.

Single player and PC, please. Not a fan of the squad-based Rainbow Six sorts.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Walton Simons posted:

I'm not short on games just at the moment but does anyone know any good games where both you and your enemies don't take much to kill? I loved Deus Ex on realistic, Fallout 3 with 3x damage and I'm playing ranger mode on Metro 2033 now. I just really enjoy the tension when one misstep or enemy overlooked could end you.

Doom with the Brutal Doom mod, the higher difficulty levels double the damage

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
STALKER - Shadow of Chernobyl & Call of Pripyat - on master difficulty should work if you like ranger mode in Metro.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Walton Simons posted:

Rainbow Six 3 has a Lone Wolf mode where you have to eliminate a few dozen enemies across a map all by yourself. The game is very cheap by now, especially if bought used, and there is no shortage of new content from the expansions and player-made modifications. Shootbang people to your heart's content.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I like those suggestions, thanks, although I do have the STALKER games already. Your recommendation was dead on, though, Call of Pripyat is one of my all time favourites so anybody who enjoyed Metro on Ranger should try Stalker on master and vice versa.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

A bit of a specific request:

I'm looking for a game for the PC with stealth mechanics like Mark of the Ninja. It doesn't necessarily have to be a platformer, any genre will do. I've got my eye on Deus Ex HR Director's Cut, and I even enjoyed the stealth in Skyrim to a point. Generally I'm looking for one where combat will never be necessary as long as you don't get caught--no forced boss battles or stuff like dragons from Skyrim. On the other hand if I'm caught I don't want it to be an instant game over; even in MotN you could use your tools and hide/kill enemies if you really felt like it, and I generally don't want to have to save/load every time I make a misstep.

Horror's not really my thing though, so I'd appreciate it if recommendations could avoid that.

Deus Ex:HR is really good, as well as Dishonored which was awesome in a different way. I will say this though - I went through DX:HR trying to do a nonlethal run, I would occasionally attack someone but I'd always try to not kill them, and I'd take a lot of care to make sure I wasn't spotted. In Dishonored I was a teleporting angel of death. I would play stealthily but the stealth involved using the teleport power to blink behind someone and slit their throat, then blink onto a roof. Getting caught and trying to run away instead of fight your way out was a lot of fun, mainly because of the powers. Dispatching your target then just sprinting outside as fast as you can blinking past guys and hearing them shout "WITCHCRAFT" as you possess a rat and escape through a sewer.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Thanks for the recommendations THE AWESOME GHOST and everyone else who chipped in. A friend just gifted me the director's cut of DEHR and I've got Thief and Dishonored wishlisted for the next sale. Hoping it'll be fun!

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

khy posted:

Alternatively, are there any good MMOs out there with decent player housing? I really loved SWG's system of having entire player villages, though the rest of the game was bunk. I doubt any other MMOs have that level of customization with player homes, but I'm curious what out there right now has player housing at all.

I don't think there's anything with good player housing, but let's see...

Ultima Online was one of the originals, if not the original player housing game, allowing free placement and sale of property and even breaking and entering. There are still free shards floating around that you can play on but it's seriously old.

Dark Age of Camelot had housing that I enjoyed mainly because it had customizable merchants so you could decorate the place and lure people in to buy your crafted goods. I think DAoC is pretty dead but there might be emulated servers running somewhere. I mostly mention it because I think that was the last time I actually enjoyed MMO housing. Housing zones were instanced and tacked on as an afterthought, so they didn't impact the main world at all.

EQ2 had housing that was technically integrated into the live world, but you just rented pre-placed buildings and everyone used the same entrances to enter their house so there would always be people loitering outside "your" door.

Rift has implemented housing, but it's completely instanced to the degree that you have to teleport into it. I'm pretty sure it's 100% decorative, only existing to give people another set of doodads to collect, which you can only really display to others if you invite them to enter your instance.

I'm running out of time to type... I'm sure there's more but none of them are much better than those as far as I know.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rift is definitely the game to play if you want decent housing in an MMO. It's instanced, yeah, but it's got Sims 3 levels of customization. Some people do some really amazing things, like create airships or giant ravens out of wood planks and scraps.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Blast of Confetti posted:

Rift is definitely the game to play if you want decent housing in an MMO. It's instanced, yeah, but it's got Sims 3 levels of customization. Some people do some really amazing things, like create airships or giant ravens out of wood planks and scraps.

Housing no one ever sees but you is kind of useless in an MMO.

Wildstar isn't out yet but the housing system in that is supposed to be really deep.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I want a game, preferrably online multiplayer, where I can poopsock my way to incredible power and lord it over people with an actual life. Age of Wushu would be perfect if it wasn't for the translation from hell and the impenetrable mechanics.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Is Mother 3 worth playing? I've never played Earthbound you see.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

NeilPerry posted:

Very yes.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I am looking for a PC game that makes you feel a good sense of progression: mainly RPG, but also tactical turn-based shooters, strategic or 4X games or anything (just no FPS please) where you improve your character, country or even just equipment.

The progression should come quickly enough that I don't need to play 3 hours to get "+1 strength" or the next gun/sword/spaceship or whatever; I'd also like everything to be accessible and easy, not needing hours upon hours to get good at it (having to think about what to do is fine, having to memorize 8-move combos and the timing to pull them off or being swamped in micromanagement spreadsheets is not).

Best examples of this that I've already played : Elder Scrolls games, Fallout 2 and 3 and NV, Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 (also played pretty much every good mod), Arcanum, Darklands, Jagged Alliance 2, X-Com: Enemy unknown, Diablo 2 and 3, Torchlight 2, Civilization 5 plus expansions, Galactic Civilization 2, X3: Albion Prelude, Master of Orion 2, Tropico 4.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 23, 2013

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

TorakFade posted:

The progression should come quickly enough that I don't need to play 3 hours to get "+1 strength" or the next gun/sword/spaceship or whatever; I'd also like everything to be accessible and easy, not needing hours upon hours to get good at it (having to think about what to do is fine, having to memorize 8-move combos and the timing to pull them off or being swamped in micromanagement spreadsheets is not).
Divinity 2: DKS has satisfying power progression. The voice acting is a bit off but the game is fun otherwise.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
I'm looking for a "white trash" kind of violent game. Games where the locations are urban/industrial and violence is something grungy, scuzzy, and morally repugnant, examples: Condemned (series), Manhunt, Kane & Lynch (especially the sequel), Postal (mostly the first), and Hotline Miami.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BITCOIN MINING RIG posted:

Divinity 2: DKS has satisfying power progression. The voice acting is a bit off but the game is fun otherwise.

I tried Divinity 2 once, and quit after killing everything in the starting valley and attached dungeons didn't give me enough levels to survive any fights around Lovis's tower. Is there some side area I missed?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

NeilPerry posted:

Earthbound is worth playing, and you absolutely should play it before Mother 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laughing_Stock
Jun 19, 2008

Sad Mammal posted:

I'm looking for a "white trash" kind of violent game. Games where the locations are urban/industrial and violence is something grungy, scuzzy, and morally repugnant, examples: Condemned (series), Manhunt, Kane & Lynch (especially the sequel), Postal (mostly the first), and Hotline Miami.

Max Payne 3, in particular the hotel and favela levels, are basically like this. Also I'm sure you've heard of Manhunt before, but on the off chance you haven't that was basically snuff film the game.