Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ff7cid
Jun 27, 2008

Beartato! I just became aware of the vast speed at which we are hurtling through the universe! Now it's all I can think about!

Propaganda Hour posted:

ugh gimme that loving spear gun :getin:

Yeah, it's time to reinstall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

An Actual Bear posted:

"the serious note"

I too, think a game that lets you dress as a chicken is serious. Jesus christ those people are retarded.

Even before that, half the lines are references to some comedian from the 80's. Anyone who ever thought this game was serious hasn't played it for more than a few minutes.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Oh man, reading the forums after every major patch is glorious

They find reasons to bitch about everything

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I'm hyped for the new map but I'm definitely waiting for the weapon DLC to go on sale - I wonder if KF being so successful and loved means it has to provide funding for all of Tripwire's other incredibly misguided projects, like a top-down OUYA shooter or everything involving RO2.

But hey - every Christmas event brings a bunch of my friends back together from their various games to scream in terror as we're ripped apart by gingerbread men, so I'm down with tossing them a couple bucks every year.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Lol the Bile Gun owns. $299 and it destroys trash. Medic finally gets a fun weapon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZSaD9yv9Qs

quote:

The only "new" thing we got was the map. the event zeds were re-used from last year.
Everything else is behind a $5-$8 paywall.
Now I don't have much of a problem with cosmetics such as the camo weapons and the new character, but my problem is they're locking new playstyles and game changing weapons behind a paywall like a Korean MMOFPS

quote:

Two wrongs don't make a right. I don't really care for COD, but I'm just sad to see this game go down the drain. I fear it might turn into another TF2 sooner or later.

Gameplay content that you can't access without paying extra for it is just about the literal definition of pay2win.

I'm not complaining about cosmetic DLC, I'm complaining about the weapon DLC. Tripwire promised they wouldn't do this, and now they turned their back on that promise. I feel betrayed.

alg fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 24, 2013

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Geight posted:

But hey - every Christmas event brings a bunch of my friends back together from their various games to scream in terror as we're ripped apart by gingerbread men, so I'm down with tossing them a couple bucks every year.

Exactly. My friends and I really enjoy playing this together on LAN but we only ever get back to it during these events and happy to throw the devs a few bucks when they price the DLC on the cheap.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
poo poo, they boosted the M32's default price to 4000. Gonna make getting rid of HoE FPs as Demo way more frustrating if you die or join at the end of Wave 7. Might have to use LAW or new speargun and hope the rest of the team can take off the rest of his health if I don't get enough cash to get an M32. Tripwire :argh:

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Geight posted:

I'm hyped for the new map but I'm definitely waiting for the weapon DLC to go on sale - I wonder if KF being so successful and loved means it has to provide funding for all of Tripwire's other incredibly misguided projects, like a top-down OUYA shooter or everything involving RO2.

I'm personally okay with them doing this dlc now since we got a lot of free content so I'm willing to throw them the cash. Also people could just wait for a sale because it's not like the gameplay of KF has changed with this dlc.

Geight posted:

I liked RO2 and Rising Storm :saddowns:

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 24, 2013

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Spent some time loving around with the DLC weapons. My thoughts:

ZED Gun Mark 2: Budget version of the original ZED Gun. The primary fire does less damage than the original. Alt fire shoots a blue orb that slows down most enemies near it when it hits something. It can't slow down Scrake, Fleshpound, or Pat, so it isn't as useful as the original's. Seems like it'd be a good secondary.

Harpoon gun: Pretty fun, but to get the most out of it, you need to land headshots, and the game is pretty picky with headshots. If you can land three headshots on a Fleshpound, it does about 5,000 damage. :aaa:

Seeker 6: Good idea, but the rockets are way too weak for anything past Hard. It takes two rockets to kill a HoE Stalker, which is ridiculous. Could be a nice secondary weapon for Demos that need a weapon for close-quarters emergencies, since each rocket does little damage if it explodes near you.

Bile Thrower: Owns. Dirt-cheap as a level 6 Medic, lots of ammo, and can cut down even HoE trash enemies in no-time. A must-have for any Medic. I figure this could take the place of a Commando if you're good and have the Kriss SMG as a back up. Bet it'll be nerfed right after the event ends.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I like tossing them a few bucks every year, but I think I'm going to wait for a sale this time. I'm a bit disappointed there were no free guns or unlock challenges (?) this time around or at least 50% off on launch, since that's what usually lured my friends back for a bit.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

The server browser update is nice too. It now shows the exact wave the server is on, and the "Don't show empty servers tick box" actually works.

Brovstin fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 24, 2013

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I'm gettin' on my server in a few.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

alg posted:

I'm gettin' on my server in a few.

Just curious is it passworded? Because I will gladly play.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Lucinice posted:

Just curious is it passworded? Because I will gladly play.

Yeah, I think it is. Should be lljk

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Anyone know how to add weapons to your favourites? or is it going to just show the ones you use most over time?

I bought the steampunk weapons because they were on sale and goddamn, that sniper rifle seems op, shoots so fast, has 80 rounds, and goes through multiple targets. Having a grenade launcher that can still explode up close is handy if you get swamped.

I hope the new DLC goes on sale soon, I want the bile gun!

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
alg I think we broke your server.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Propaganda Hour posted:

alg I think we broke your server.

Let's stop voting for that weed map :v:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Ohhh so that's what happened. I had an interesting commando out of body experience in the spawn zone.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

Ohhh so that's what happened. I had an interesting commando out of body experience in the spawn zone.

Well it's back up at least.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah I am removing that and replacing it with the regular weed map tomorrow at work.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Lucinice posted:

Well it's back up at least.

I'll have to catch you goony goons another night. Just shout out in the thread when you're on and hopefully some folks will be free.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I'm glad they finally fixed the Scrake headbox bug. Jesus that made Sharp a complete pain in the rear end to play in Suicidal and HoE.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

closeted republican posted:

I'm glad they finally fixed the Scrake headbox bug.

I bet anything people on the forums get mad about this. I remember one guy arguing that it was part of the games challenge and changing it would cater to casual scum. :v:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Spent some time loving around with the DLC weapons. My thoughts:

ZED Gun Mark 2: Budget version of the original ZED Gun. The primary fire does less damage than the original. Alt fire shoots a blue orb that slows down most enemies near it when it hits something. It can't slow down Scrake, Fleshpound, or Pat, so it isn't as useful as the original's. Seems like it'd be a good secondary.

Harpoon gun: Pretty fun, but to get the most out of it, you need to land headshots, and the game is pretty picky with headshots. If you can land three headshots on a Fleshpound, it does about 5,000 damage. :aaa:

Seeker 6: Good idea, but the rockets are way too weak for anything past Hard. It takes two rockets to kill a HoE Stalker, which is ridiculous. Could be a nice secondary weapon for Demos that need a weapon for close-quarters emergencies, since each rocket does little damage if it explodes near you.

Bile Thrower: Owns. Dirt-cheap as a level 6 Medic, lots of ammo, and can cut down even HoE trash enemies in no-time. A must-have for any Medic. I figure this could take the place of a Commando if you're good and have the Kriss SMG as a back up. Bet it'll be nerfed right after the event ends.

Nice. Could anyone give a general overview of the other two community weapon packs? I was thinking of grabbing them for this season.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

ZearothK posted:

Nice. Could anyone give a general overview of the other two community weapon packs? I was thinking of grabbing them for this season.

Since I'm procrastinating big time, have more more.

Pack 1

Flare Revolver: Devastating on or off perk. It's the perfect side-arm for any build, as it quickly takes care of most enemies and has lots of ammo. On-perk Flare Revolvers will tear most enemies into pieces. Dual Flares are even better, because you have 12 shots before having to reload. Dualies are best, but if you're running a build that takes up a lot of inventory space, a single Flare will be more than enough in most cases. Dual Flare Revolvers are must have if you're going to be facing the Patriarch as Medic.

Buzzsaw Bow: Great for Zerks with lots of cash to spare. Basically a more powerful Crossbow that gets the Zerk's damage and fire rate bonuses. The blades ricochet, like the Ripper from Unreal Tournament. Perfect for taking out Scrakes at range or just shredding groups of enemies. Blades can be picked up off the ground, which is good because each blade costs a ton of money.

Scythe: A slower-firing but more powerful Claymore. Cheaper too, which is nice if your Zerk level is lowish. As a Level 6 Zerk, I don't really use it because I almost always have enough money to get either a Katana+Axe combo or a Claymore if I have enough to get a Scythe.

Tommy Gun: Way better for Commandos than the M4 if they need a weapon that's between the Bullpup and AK. The second DLC has a straight upgrade of this weapon, so it's obsolete if you get DLC 2.

Pack 2

Musket: A better Lever Action. Faster firing rate if you have Sharp, does more damage, and reloads every round at once instead of having to insert each round one at a time. Has a scope which is misleading at first, as the crosshair in the scope is shaped like an arrow. You'd expect shots to land on the tip of the arrow, but they actually land in the center of the arrow. A bit more expensive, but Sharps get a big discount for it. I've seen 6man Hell on Earth Scrakes and Fleshpounds get destroyed by Sharps using this weapon long before the Scrake or FP got a chance to retaliate.

Multichamber Zed Thrower: Useless. The primary fire is a somewhat-weak shotgun blast, while the secondary pushes enemies back. Instead of pushing back enemies with a poo poo gun, you're better off unloading an AA-12 into their face or blasting them with a Hunting Shotgun.

Steampunk Tommy Gun: It's the Tommy Gun from the first DLC, but with a larger magazine. Pretty handy emergency weapon for Commandos because of it's large magazine size at high levels (50).

Orca: Basically the M79, but the grenades bounce if they don't hit an enemy instead of exploding. If they do hit an enemy, the grenade explodes as normal. Fun for loving around with, but nothing you should really depend on.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 24, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

poo poo, they boosted the M32's default price to 4000. Gonna make getting rid of HoE FPs as Demo way more frustrating if you die or join at the end of Wave 7. Might have to use LAW or new speargun and hope the rest of the team can take off the rest of his health if I don't get enough cash to get an M32. Tripwire :argh:

Jesus Christ, why?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Alteisen posted:

Jesus Christ, why?

They probably wanted people to use the DLC guns, which cost as much as the M32 used to. The DLC guns are really poo poo for quickly taking out Suicidal and HoE FPs unless you pack both of them at once (which costs more than an M32 does now), so welp. I wouldn't mind, but the Seeker 6's rockets are about as powerful as pissing on an enemy, and the harpoon gun can only fire three shots before having to reload. They both suck for taking out crowds, which is one of the places where the M32 really shines. It's either using the M79 longer than usual or the LAW for early-game crowd control now. Camping HoE Moonbase and Hospital Horrors is going to be a bit harder now, since you can't get the M32 early on.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
I hopped on the server for a brief moment, excited to finally get to play with y'all, and then some friends messaged me to do the golden potato achievement, so I did that instead. I'll get to play with y'all someday!

Definitely gonna hop on that first weapons pack. I need the flare revolvers and buzzsaw bow in my life.

Kiryuin Satsuki
Mar 1, 2011

In regards to the Orca, it's a bit harder to aim then the m79 and sometimes a direct explosion on a wall or ceiling is much better than bouncing off, but its major advantage is the tiny smoke cloud it creates that barely obscures your teams' vision. On crowded maps where you're holding one or two small corridors such as bio labs, the m79 is more of a hindrance than a help. Sure, you saved your team mate from the crawler horde but while the smoke was blocking everyone's view two scrakes and a fleshpound stepped around the corner and welp now we're all dead.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

8PM EST tonight dudes on my server, let's get some achievements

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Word of warning to any KF Mac goons: KF on Mavericks is fairly unstable at the moment. The crossbow sights glitch is back, and the game will randomly crash mid-game.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I'm gonna open up the server to pubbies and hunt for achievements tonight.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

alg posted:

I'm gonna open up the server to pubbies and hunt for achievements tonight.

I'm up for achievement hunting now if anyone else wants to

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Yeah, I'll probably jump in too.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Objective mode remains poorly implemented. Adding tasks in the middle of what is essentially endless horde mode would be interesting if they took the time to balance spawn rates and locations with it. Unfortunately, I don't believe Tripwire actually playtested KFO-Frightyard on Suicidal or HoE. The objectives are now luck dependent, which is bullshit when combined with the already difficult challenge of fighting off the bigger zeds (that will keep spawning until that random bloat spawns or slot machine combo triggers) at higher difficulty levels. Counter-intuitively, the best strategy is gaming the system by NOT killing enemies and kiting them around just so those fleshpounds/scrakes won't show up.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

moot the hopple posted:

Objective mode remains poorly implemented. Adding tasks in the middle of what is essentially endless horde mode would be interesting if they took the time to balance spawn rates and locations with it. Unfortunately, I don't believe Tripwire actually playtested KFO-Frightyard on Suicidal or HoE. The objectives are now luck dependent, which is bullshit when combined with the already difficult challenge of fighting off the bigger zeds (that will keep spawning until that random bloat spawns or slot machine combo triggers) at higher difficulty levels. Counter-intuitively, the best strategy is gaming the system by NOT killing enemies and kiting them around just so those fleshpounds/scrakes won't show up.
I like it, it breaks up the maps where all your team does is sit in one spot with their backs to the wall. I dont know if its poorly implemented, I know its much harder than the regular maps though.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

moot the hopple posted:

I did some Suicidal Steamland with some friends, and I agree. For the fuzeboxes, you have to have two people kiting most of the horde in the spawn area, or else you'll be overwhelmed. One person kiting is also a good idea for when you're escorting Lockheart because of the sheer amount of enemies that rush you as soon as the old guy starts walking. It's pretty pathetic that you have to game the system in order to make it playable.

Frightward is worse than Steamland IMO. If most of the team dies while doing the crane portion of the map, you are hosed. There is no way for two or one people to successfully complete that part. It's not a bad idea for an objective, but the enemies waves for that part of the map are ridiculous. Even in Normal, you'll have multiple Fleshpounds and Scrakes. I tried doing it in Suicidal with the same group I did, and it we easily wiped. I'm betting the key is to have one person on the switch while the rest of the time kites, but doesn't kill, as Zerks. In fact, that's probably the key to beating the part with the Bloats as well.

Objective mode is a good idea, but Tripwire's hardon for Scrake and Fleshpound rushes early on makes it a tremendous pain in the rear end to play unless you're with an organized group.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Cage posted:

I like it, it breaks up the maps where all your team does is sit in one spot with their backs to the wall. I dont know if its poorly implemented, I know its much harder than the regular maps though.

My buddies and I beat Steamland's objective mode, but we had to resort to bugs and cheesy quirks in the game to manage the higher difficulties. Trust me, objective mode is simply badly designed and implemented. Just look at the global achievements and you'll see that hardly anyone has beaten it on Suicidal or Hell on Earth difficulties.

We've been trying to beat Frightyard on the last two difficulties for a whole evening now and it doesn't seem feasible. You say you like it because it's a break from the typical strategy of holing up in one spot, which is dumb because almost half of the waves require you to do just that. Except now you have to contend with endless heavy zed spawns and other bullshit like progress ticking down if you move from the spot (crane lowering) or progress resetting if you let too many enemies get close or getting screwed because of enemy pathfinding (bloat collecting).

Steamland was slightly easier to accomplish because you had Lockheart to redirect and tank damage. As closeted republican noted, the big problem is that the fp/scrake spawn rates is simply ludicrous and now you don't have such an NCP crutch on Frightyard.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Well I'm going on for a bit, hopefully get some good time in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

moot the hopple posted:

My buddies and I beat Steamland's objective mode, but we had to resort to bugs and cheesy quirks in the game to manage the higher difficulties. Trust me, objective mode is simply badly designed and implemented. Just look at the global achievements and you'll see that hardly anyone has beaten it on Suicidal or Hell on Earth difficulties.

We've been trying to beat Frightyard on the last two difficulties for a whole evening now and it doesn't seem feasible. You say you like it because it's a break from the typical strategy of holing up in one spot, which is dumb because almost half of the waves require you to do just that. Except now you have to contend with endless heavy zed spawns and other bullshit like progress ticking down if you move from the spot (crane lowering) or progress resetting if you let too many enemies get close or getting screwed because of enemy pathfinding (bloat collecting).

Steamland was slightly easier to accomplish because you had Lockheart to redirect and tank damage. As closeted republican noted, the big problem is that the fp/scrake spawn rates is simply ludicrous and now you don't have such an NCP crutch on Frightyard.
If its too hard pick a lower difficulty, you don't have to conquer all game modes.

• Locked thread