Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Propaganda Machine posted:

Finally, Azor Ahai is very obviously Hodor. QED.

Surely you mean "HHH"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

rypakal posted:

You're speaking of details, which are valid. I'm speaking of George's crippling inability to deal with endings. Each of the first three books had thematic endings for many of the characters. Sure the story carried forward but there are thematic stopping points that made sense. Books 4 and 5 might as well be a soap opera.

So yeah, I don't trust the guy with endings.

If we're to totally ignore his body of work pre-ASOIAF, then yeah, please don't trust him with endings. But if we actually consider those books and short stories he has written, then yes, he can do endings.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Azure_Horizon posted:

If we're to totally ignore his body of work pre-ASOIAF, then yeah, please don't trust him with endings. But if we actually consider those books and short stories he has written, then yes, he can do endings.

Uh, did you miss the part where I said he could do endings already in aSoIaF?

I don't trust him NOW with endings.

I'd be perfectly find with a neverending series. I think the style and the story would lend itself fine to just a concept. But each book needs some kind of frame around it or it just becomes a bog.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just realized the irony that both Ned and Jon were both killed for not following a Baratheon's suggestion.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Anyone got any guesses about the symbolism of a direwolf being killed by a stag at the beginning of the seriess?

Joffrey's not really a Baratheon and that's the only applicable situation I can think of.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TOOT BOOT posted:

Anyone got any guesses about the symbolism of a direwolf being killed by a stag at the beginning of the seriess?

Joffrey's not really a Baratheon and that's the only applicable situation I can think of.

The stag also dies. Ned following Robert to King's Landing is what gets them both killed.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Also when the wolf parent dies all of its children scatter. Also one of them was separate to start.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

Stannis "kills" Robb depending on how much faith you put in leeches and fire.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

hobbesmaster posted:

Stannis "kills" Robb depending on how much faith you put in leeches and fire.

I really don't think it's that literal. I think it's symbolism along the lines of Houses Stark and Baratheon are going to destroy each other. Also, I think at that point in the novels, Melissandre's powers were more limited. Yes, she (or Stannis, w/e) did use magic to kill Renly and Cortnay Penrose, but I'm pretty sure she merely saw the deaths of Robb, Joffrey, and Balon Greyjoy dying in her fires and then used that foreknowledge to manipulate Stannis with a bullshit leech ritual.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CumFart Gurantee posted:

I really don't think it's that literal. I think it's symbolism along the lines of Houses Stark and Baratheon are going to destroy each other. Also, I think at that point in the novels, Melissandre's powers were more limited. Yes, she (or Stannis, w/e) did use magic to kill Renly and Cortnay Penrose, but I'm pretty sure she merely saw the deaths of Robb, Joffrey, and Balon Greyjoy dying in her fires and then used that foreknowledge to manipulate Stannis with a bullshit leech ritual.

Or we can go all Anathem/Stephenson and propose that Melisandre used her magic to make that particular reality come to life.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The stag/wolf thing couldn't be more blatant. Neither Ned nor Robert survive the book and the when the stag dies, it brings the wolf down with it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

The stag/wolf thing couldn't be more blatant. Neither Ned nor Robert survive the book and the when the stag dies, it brings the wolf down with it.

I guess I was concentrating too much on the wolf and stag having killed each other so I was looking for something analogous where a Stark and Baratheon killed each other.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Too bad Ned didn't die with Roberts dick in his throat, as suggested by the antler.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

jsoh posted:

Too bad Ned didn't die with Roberts dick in his throat, as suggested by the antler.

He sorta did, metaphorically, as revealing to Cersei he knew where Robert's dick had been was a big part of Ned's downfall.

And of course Ned ended up getting his own dick (Ice) in his own throat :gonk:

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

webmeister posted:

That is some extreme autoerotic asphyxiating.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

TOOT BOOT posted:

I guess I was concentrating too much on the wolf and stag having killed each other so I was looking for something analogous where a Stark and Baratheon killed each other.

Ned's actions directly caused Cersei to move her murder of Robert forward. Ned killed Robert and died himself from the consequences of it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Cersei killing Robert was the sketchiest murder plan ever. So many ways that could have gone wrong for her.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

Cersei killing Robert was the sketchiest murder plan ever. So many ways that could have gone wrong for her.

How? Do you think Robert is going to taste the difference in the wine and send it to CSI: Kings Landing to get it tested? Like he could have not died and thats about it. There was no possible way to implicate her in anything.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Drunk as poo poo boar hunting is probably dangerous as hell.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

killed 'em with they love

TOOT BOOT posted:

Except the chapter before, where we're told the stupid way that Robert ALWAYS hunts boar, and ALWAYS drinks. Drunks like him tend to have a very defined ability curve. Triple the potency and the only thing that can go wrong is finding no boar at all. But he stocks his woods specifically for Boar hunting.

And, well, it's not like Cersei couldn't have a backup plan

rypakal fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 24, 2013

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

enq

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Her plan depended on a wild animal fatally wounding her husband and him passing away quickly. If he didn't find a boar, or the boar didn't cause any serious wounds, or if he got too drunk to walk, she would have would been hosed. Seems like it would have been much easier to just use poison given the stakes.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It doesnt matter anyway since Ned still had a chance to say something to him and pussed out.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

Her plan depended on a wild animal fatally wounding her husband and him passing away quickly. If he didn't find a boar, or the boar didn't cause any serious wounds, or if he got too drunk to walk, she would have would been hosed. Seems like it would have been much easier to just use poison given the stakes.

Her plan was in action before Ned talked to her.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

webmeister posted:

He sorta did, metaphorically, as revealing to Cersei he knew where Robert's dick had been was a big part of Ned's downfall.

Well, technically where his dick HADN'T been.

When you play the game of dicks you either win or die.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I got the impression that Cersei had been trying to murder Robert on the sly for some time now and the melee and the hunt were just the most recent attempts.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

TOOT BOOT posted:

I get the feeling that her plan was to set up the place like the house from Home Alone except instead of paint cans and tarantulas she had bribed tourney fighters and wild pigs. The pig thing just happened to work before something else did. Basically if the guy survived the boar then probably an anvil would have fallen on him or something else like that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm sure she tried poison but the man's liver completely metabolizes it.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...
If When the show guys need to stall for time while GRRM writes books then they can do a prequel about Cersei's inept assassination attempts and Robert's fat drunk jerk luck.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I would settle, happily, for Winterfell's Wacky Adventures of Arya and Jon.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I would love a prequel novella with just everyone in Winterfell hanging out and having feasts and enjoying each other's company-- the only plot points being petty sitcom-type squabbles that are humorous and quickly resolved.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Starks don't enjoy themselves, they just run about muttering 'winter is coming' at each other.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
This is the story of two friends, Robert Baratheon and Ned Stark. Robert lives in a neighborhood known as, "rich." Robert likes life! The only thing about life he would change, if he could, is that he would set it all to music. The Baratheon-Lannisters have more secrets than they do money. We're approaching Ned Stark's castle. Ned, too, likes life. Unfortunately, life doesn't seem to be too crazy about him! As you can see, the Starks don't have nearly as much money as the Baratheon-Lannisters. They do, however, have as many secrets.

[cut to Jon and Arya needlepointing a pile of poo onto Sansa's pillow]

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

I get the feeling that her plan was to set up the place like the house from Home Alone except instead of paint cans and tarantulas she had bribed tourney fighters and wild pigs. The pig thing just happened to work before something else did. Basically if the guy survived the boar then probably an anvil would have fallen on him or something else like that.

Paraphrasing from the book, Varys say's something like "A stray arrow, a horse falling. The forest is the abbatoir of the Gods. It was your mercy that killed Robert" to Ned when he's in the dungeons.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Cheers to whoever posted that Meereenese Blot link - it's been fascinating reading his theories on various parts of ADWD, especially Jon's and Dany's stories which are probably the most criticised parts.

It's basically everything I wish the Huis Clos could've been, and really hope the guy does a couple of posts about Ramsay and Winterfell.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I was sure it was Azure Horizon's blog, isn't it?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

Roadrunner, that coyote's after you.

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's not surprising that the plan wasn't the best given that she later thought it would be a good idea to not pay the iron bank and allow the church to form a military.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Don't forget about giving one of her advisors lesser nobles to vivisection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

hobbesmaster posted:

Don't forget about giving one of her advisors lesser nobles to vivisection.

That doesn't really backfire in a big way like the rest of her plans - she benefitted from that, getting Robert Strong.

• Locked thread