Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

13A603 is the App Store build and same as the second GM seed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying out keychain, and it offers password protected notes. The main question is: can you access said notes on other devices (like an iPhone)? If not, anyone have any recommendations for syncing (the main objective is actually syncing notes across two iPhones with a password protection)?

Edit: I think Notability does this, so i am likely good. Nm.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 23, 2013

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Upgraded to 10.9. from Snow Leopard. A little slower on start up but otherwise I'm impressed.

Image Capture keeps opening when I connect my iPhone though, is there a setting to stop this? I've looked but can't see one.

eames
May 9, 2009

I just finished reading the Siracusa-review. That MBA battery chart is completely unbelievable. :stare:

(link)

//edit: a wild retina-sized image appears! and I have no idea how to get rid of it. help please?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eames fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 23, 2013

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I'm having an impossible time doing what used to be a simple task, thanks to iPhoto. I'm trying to just insert an image into an email, inline, I used to just click "Picture" then pic the picture from finder. Now I get this stupid iPhoto thing that I put the image into, but no matter what I do that image won't show up on the "Image Browser" to add into the email.

Good work! Let's continue to make simple tasks more convoluted than they would ever need to be.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

suddenlyissoon posted:

Had just an awful time getting my mid-10 MacBook Pro to upgrade. That's not surprising though as it's probably the worst machine Apple has ever made. I wish I could throw it out a loving window.

What do you mean by this? Is the 2010 that bad?

I use a 2010 MacBook Pro.

Issues I've had:

* USB sometimes stops working (I have to unplug and plug a mouse back in).
* It sometimes seems like not enough power is on the USB ports. Trying to restore an iPhone or flash an Android in download mode fails (I have more success on my 2006 MacBook Pro).
* The screen becomes kinda blueish when the discrete graphics kick in.
* OS X (under 10.7 and 10.8, I don't know about 10.9 and I don't remember 10.6 doing this) will save a different wallpaper for integrated and discrete video.
* The discrete graphics kick in all the loving time. Open my picture in Users & Groups? NVidia kicks in. Open Microsoft Office? NVidia kicks in. Open any web browser? NVidia kicks in. Open pretty much anything? NVidia kicks in. I get about ~3 hours of battery life. I can get almost double that if I try to force integrated graphics with gfxCardStatus (but it fails more and more with each new version of OS X).

I've bitched about automated graphic switching on other forums. I hate it.

I was looking at the new Retina MacBook Pro - the high-end one that is Intel-only. That will definitely NOT have graphic switching.

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.
What's with the two-finger scrolling acceleration in Mavericks? It's almost as if it's nonexistent until you cross a certain threshold. Prior releases would ramp up acceleration gradually as the speed of your two-finger swipe increased.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Xenomorph posted:

I've bitched about automated graphic switching on other forums. I hate it.

I was looking at the new Retina MacBook Pro - the high-end one that is Intel-only. That will definitely NOT have graphic switching.
I'm in the same boat. I had a mid-2010 MBP and wasn't very happy with switching graphics. I'm looking at the new rMBP and I'm extremely apprehensive about going back to a dual-GPU setup.

edit: I'm gonna wait to see what Anand says about Iris Pro's performance on a Retina display in OS X.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 23, 2013

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Just leapfrogged from Lion to Mavericks and learned that Launchpad-Control no longer works. Are there any other solutions for hiding app icons in Launchpad?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Welp, I'm stuck.

gently caress this dumb OS

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

diehlr posted:

What's with the two-finger scrolling acceleration in Mavericks? It's almost as if it's nonexistent until you cross a certain threshold. Prior releases would ramp up acceleration gradually as the speed of your two-finger swipe increased.
I've noticed the same thing and it's somewhat irritating.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You can't see the scrollbar but I've installed both of these updates like 50 loving times

I guess what i need to do is either go get my ML USB stick and start over. Or go buy a rMBP at Best Buy

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Or go buy a rMBP at Best Buy
Now we're talking :getin:

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It left the MAS. Download it from the site.

I know, I used it for a while after it left the MAS.

Gave it a try and it won't even play an MKV file that works fine in VLC. Deleted.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

diehlr posted:

Xabi posted:

I've noticed the same thing and it's somewhat irritating.

Yep, this is really pissing me off.

I contacted Apple Support and they gave me a list of things to do when I restart my Mac and it didn't help

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Xenomorph posted:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm in the same boat. I had a mid-2010 MBP and wasn't very happy with switching graphics. I'm looking at the new rMBP and I'm extremely apprehensive about going back to a dual-GPU setup.

edit: I'm gonna wait to see what Anand says about Iris Pro's performance in OS X.
I've been using my work 15" Retina MacBook Pro for dev stuff since they were first released and the graphics switching hasn't really been a major issue. From watching gfxCardStatus (which is a bit wonky in Mavericks with the current release) I believe that the discrete graphics are only used if an application calls hardware acceleration for graphics. As an example, VMware Fusion 6 won't actually turn the discrete graphics on until you actually start a virtual machine (although older versions of VMware are a little stupider about this) and if you close down all running VMs it'll switch back to integrated graphics. Given that the switching's actually improved going from VMware 5->6, I suspect that it's something that can be addressed on an individual application basis by the developers.

As far as the stuff I use goes, Apple Remote Desktop, Flash, iPhoto, Pixelmator and all the Adobe CC stuff are the main things I've noticed that turn on the discrete graphics. Stuff like Safari, Mail, Messages, iTunes, Spotify, etc doesn't turn it on. If I'm constantly running VMs or the programs I listed then I'll get around 3 and a half hours of battery life. If I'm just doing general use stuff like web browsing etc (the stuff they do in battery life tests) then it's more like 6-8 hours. Mavericks stops Flash Player from running by default which helps a lot since you're unlikely to trigger the discrete graphics card during general web use.

I've ordered one of the new dual-GPU Retina MBP's to replace my own laptop which should get here tomorrow. I'll play around with it for a couple of days and report back if there are any differences but I expect it'll be largely the same.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What's the go-to torrent app now? I tried to install uTorrent but it wants me to install all sorts of crap with it.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's the go-to torrent app now? I tried to install uTorrent but it wants me to install all sorts of crap with it.

Transmission.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
Does anyone know how to get the side pane in Preview to hide, while still showing the table of contents when it gets bumped out? I have some rather large PDFs that I jump around in and this was something that I used every day and now it will only show thumbnails once you hide it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Is it just me or the dock has a delay before showing up when switching screens?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

vty posted:

I'm having an impossible time doing what used to be a simple task, thanks to iPhoto. I'm trying to just insert an image into an email, inline, I used to just click "Picture" then pic the picture from finder. Now I get this stupid iPhoto thing that I put the image into, but no matter what I do that image won't show up on the "Image Browser" to add into the email.

Good work! Let's continue to make simple tasks more convoluted than they would ever need to be.

Your description is lacking in detail so I have no idea where this image you're trying to put into your email is actually starting out. Is it just an image file in Finder? Or is it an image in iPhoto?

In either case the answer is the same anyway. Just drag the drat thing into your email from Finder or iPhoto. Drag and drop is so drat easy I've never considered pressing a button to attach a file so I couldn't even tell you how that works...

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Ratjaculation posted:

Upgraded to 10.9. from Snow Leopard. A little slower on start up but otherwise I'm impressed.

Image Capture keeps opening when I connect my iPhone though, is there a setting to stop this? I've looked but can't see one.

The setting is hiding in iPhoto. loving stupid place for it.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Upgraded from ML with one issue. Calendar will no longer show my subscribed google (sports) calendars, which really ruins its usefulness. I've tried removing my google account, deleting Library\Calendar with no success. Any ideas?

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
So I've been using this a bit more. Mac App store is kinda buggy and being difficult about updates. Either not showing ones in progress (like imovie) or like earlier, asking me to update Keynote when I already did. Weird stuff but minor. Boot up and shut down seem improved for now. Definitely much faster but I'm still not sure if it's going to be the norm. Seems like it may. Dock takes a little longer to show up after logging in, but waiting at the login in screen for a bit seems to make it appear instantly or a bit faster than jumping right in. So far, I like it.

Edit: Now it's showing the progress for imovie. Mac App Store, take your meds!

Glasgow Kiss fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 24, 2013

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I just installed Mavericks, and youtube isn't working in Safari. It's asking to update flash, and when I try to, adobe's site says it's temporarily unavailable. Tried this yesterday, got the same error.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

ChocNitty posted:

I just installed Mavericks, and youtube isn't working in Safari. It's asking to update flash, and when I try to, adobe's site says it's temporarily unavailable. Tried this yesterday, got the same error.

http://www.youtube.com/html5

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Good lord, I got a bunch of battery time just like they said and I'm on a sandy bridge MBA. I can't even imagine what the 15 hour life on Haswell must be like.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Bob Morales posted:

Just saw a fix on MacRumors:

I also had problems getting 603 but that MacRumors fix is overkill IMO. What worked for me:

1. Delete "Install OS X Mavericks.app" from /Applications (if present).

2. Download from the App Store, but don't use the purchased apps pane. Search for it like you weren't ever in the seed program and download it from there.

My theory: Apple probably uses different App Store application IDs for seed builds and releases. Same name, but different so far as the store is concerned. As soon as they release an OS to the public, they disable seed downloads. So if you're like me and were lazy about moving to 603 because 598 worked, trying to download using 598 and your registered entitlement to the Mavs seed (which is what it knows about in "Purchases") began failing yesterday even though on the 21st it probably would have grabbed the 603 installer.

The end of the ML seed program was smoother because they just gave us App Store redemption codes for the real thing. (yup, it turned out that being in the ML seed program got you free ML)

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Installed Mavericks and now Facebook video chat refuses to work. Installed, reinstalled, deleted, eighty ways from sunday. FF, Chrome and Safari won't recognize its there, I installed the Java MDK 7 Update, installed Flash and...nothing.

I can't use skype, given that my boyfriend (who I video chat with all the time) can't use it on his end.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What did they do to Mail that breaks Gmail? Emails I'm deleting keep coming right back now and don't stay deleted.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Anyone else noticing a weird side to side bounce in Chrome when scrolling down (w/two fingers on the trackpad). I don't recall the bouncyness in 10.8.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

What did they do to Mail that breaks Gmail? Emails I'm deleting keep coming right back now and don't stay deleted.

I've been complaining about this since the first beta. I filed a bug report but they closed it a week or so ago. Of you have a dev account, please, please file a bug report on this.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are you talking about this? http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/1p25c6/mavericks_changes_mailapp_behavior_with_gmail/

Enginerdiest posted:

Just in case you, like me, discovered suddenly your email was going crazy, it's because Mail.app in Mavericks changes the way it deals with Googles wild-rear end IMAP scheme.

The archive function now works correctly, in that it puts in the All Mail for a gmail account, but if you've hidden that folder as a workaround in previous versions of mail.app, it will barf messages back into your inbox. Making sure the "All Mail" system label is marked as "show in IMAP" is correct, and then make sure you use "archive" and not "delete" to send messages there. To my knowledge, you can't remap the Del key to archive instead, but you can set a shortcut for archive.
Hopefully that will save some of you an hour this morning.

I'm glad I came across this because otherwise I would have been deleting emails for a long time until I figured out that the delete key was no longer just archiving my emails. It seems you can't have the delete key do anything other than move emails to the trash now.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
Ok, can someone explain why this is happening?

Slightly annoying, I hope they fix this soon.

Edit: Ugh... I already installed these!

Glasgow Kiss fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 24, 2013

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Have there been any rumors of browser/iCloud based versions of things like iBooks, Maps, iTunes Radio?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Bob Morales posted:

You can't see the scrollbar but I've installed both of these updates like 50 loving times

I guess what i need to do is either go get my ML USB stick and start over. Or go buy a rMBP at Best Buy

I ended up booting the Internet Recovery console, erasing the system partition, and then installing it from the interwebstubez and that worked for me.

dzarc
Jul 3, 2004

Stupid Newbie
I'm new to OSX and the one thing I'm struggling with is window management. I know there are about nine apps in the first post. Which one do most of you guys use? They are look pretty similar and I have no idea which is one worth buying.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
What exactly are you struggling with? It takes a bit to get used to coming from Windows, but you should really try and get used to leaving the windows wherever and let them stack wherever on top of each other and simply use Exposé/Mission Control and the related gestures to navigate between them.

Personally I use BetterTouchTool and a Magic Mouse and map 2finger swipe up to Mission Control, 2finger swipe down to Application Expose, and 3finger swipe up to Show Desktop and it works pretty slick.

dzarc
Jul 3, 2004

Stupid Newbie
You're probably right. I'll use it for a few weeks and see if all the gestures help. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

dzarc posted:

I'm new to OSX and the one thing I'm struggling with is window management. I know there are about nine apps in the first post. Which one do most of you guys use? They are look pretty similar and I have no idea which is one worth buying.
I like BetterSnapTool, if that's the sort of window management you're looking for. I don't have it installed currently, but it appears to still have great reviews on the App Store, and it's the same developer as the highly-respected BetterTouchTool.