Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Putting Steve in the great Super Soldier costume almost feels like an apology for that bad costume he was stuck with in Avengers

(apology accepted)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I can't imagine any veterans would be all that offended by making Nazis into movie villains.

I mean, the irony is that those soldiers themselves were reading about Captain America killing supervillain Nazis at the time?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Seemlar posted:

Putting Steve in the great Super Soldier costume almost feels like an apology for that bad costume he was stuck with in Avengers

(apology accepted)

I remember reading that Chris Evans didn't like the Avengers costume and wanted to keep his original one - the new one definitely looks better and close to the original. Speaking of which there's a split second near the end of the trailer for Cap 2 that it looks like he is wearing his old one, flashback maybe?

Anyways looks good. I like the political thriller tone of the trailer, hopefully it's like that in the actual movie.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Yeah, I've always thought that reasoning was a bit weak. But at the same time, having Hydra as the main enemy didn't bother me all that much.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Rhyno posted:

We've discussed this at great length in the past. The filmmakers decided that using actual Nazis would have been disrespectful to the real soldiers and that's why they used Hydra.

The problem isn't that they decided to use Hydra as distinct from the Nazis, but that they didn't develop Hydra as being anything more than super-Nazis with the same basic goal: world domination through military force. Hellboy, which plays around with similar ideas, does a better job separating the goals of Rasputin and Hitler.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Sir Kodiak posted:

The problem isn't that they decided to use Hydra as distinct from the Nazis, but that they didn't develop Hydra as being anything more than super-Nazis with the same basic goal: world domination through military force. Hellboy, which plays around with similar ideas, does a better job separating the goals of Rasputin and Hitler.
I was thinking of Hellboy too. It helps that Hellboy had Kroeger who was Nazi as all heck.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

PlushCow posted:

I remember reading that Chris Evans didn't like the Avengers costume and wanted to keep his original one - the new one definitely looks better and close to the original. Speaking of which there's a split second near the end of the trailer for Cap 2 that it looks like he is wearing his old one, flashback maybe?

Wasn't it reported ages ago that there's a scene where Cap breaks into a war museum and retrieves his old suit and such for a showdown with the Winter Soldier?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Strange Matter posted:

I was thinking of Hellboy too. It helps that Hellboy had Kroeger who was Nazi as all heck.

If we were to start listing the ways in which Hellboy is better than Captain America we'd be here all day. They could have done a lot worse (and did!) than simply lifting Rasputin's plot from from that movie (contact and unleash an ancient evil using a magical artifact, which would presumably be the tesseract) and making that the final confrontation with Red Skull.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Yeah Tucci absolutely kills it in that movie. Really, great supporting cast all around: Tucci, Tommy Lee Jones, Hugo Weaving, Toby Jones, Hayley Atwell, Dominic Purcell and that little kid who goes "Don't worry, Cap, I can swim!" are all in top form.
Plus Neal McDonough as Dum Dum Dugan which I thought was pretty apt casting

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Captain America suffered from Joe Johnston's boring direction. It was about as good as Mighty Joe Young or something.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Darko posted:

Captain America suffered from Joe Johnston's boring direction. It was about as good as Mighty Joe Young or something.
It was better than Jurassic Park 3 at least though that is setting the bar very low.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It was about as good as The Rocketeer; that is to say, it kicked rear end.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Trailer did nothing for me but I'll end up seeing it anyways. Plus Scarletts super straight hair is loving gorgeous.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Vintersorg posted:

Plus Scarletts super straight hair is loving gorgeous.

Agreed. One of the highlights of the trailer, along with Cap's new costume. So much better than the avengers one.

I wasn't really hyped for the movie before but I am now, it looks pretty great. Elevator scene looks awesome.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They showed the full elevator scene at Comic-Con, it's pretty loving great.

I'm surprised at how much I really dug that trailer. They're going whole hog into the political thriller aspect from the looks of it, if they don't cut it with boring like they did the first Cap movie, I can see this being really pretty good.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I think I recall Whedon being a strong proponent for that dumb Avengers costume. Another reason for me to dislike him, I guess.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Nah. Rocketeer was a very good, tight, taut film, that had very few action sequences/scenes (which are one of Johnston's weak points, since he can't handle buildup in action). Cap fell apart any time he did anything action-y, as the scenes were about as thrilling as any sequence in JP3. And there was a lot more action in that movie. Were it mostly just people talking, as in Rocketeer, it probably would have been much better.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

I think I recall Whedon being a strong proponent for that dumb Avengers costume. Another reason for me to dislike him, I guess.

Yeah that's the prevailing opinion. If true it's a textbook case of a nerd trying to be faithful to the source material yet blind to the realities in front of him.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

I thought the jacket part of the Cap costume in Avengers was pretty awesome, it's just that the cowl didn't really work.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Darko posted:

Nah. Rocketeer was a very good, tight, taut film, that had very few action sequences/scenes (which are one of Johnston's weak points, since he can't handle buildup in action). Cap fell apart any time he did anything action-y, as the scenes were about as thrilling as any sequence in JP3. And there was a lot more action in that movie. Were it mostly just people talking, as in Rocketeer, it probably would have been much better.

The final blimp scene in The Rocketeer and the footchase in Captain America are both expertly directed action scenes.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Paul Rudd and Rashida Jones are close to signing up for Ant Man.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=89038

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

lomzus posted:

Furiously writing a "slappin da bass" joke into the script right now.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

lomzus posted:

This is outfuckingstanding news.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I could do without Rashida but Rudd is great news.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Lobok posted:

I could do without Rashida but Rudd is great news.

I apologize for my comic-ignorance but my only exposure to Janet/Wasp is from the Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon and Rashida Jones fits that characterization beautifully.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Paul loving Rudd starring as a superhero in an Edgar Wright movie has got me so goddamn giddy. Just imagine what Rudd would bring to the Avengers dynamic. Marvel is doing exactly what it should be doing right now - focusing on making good movies that also happen to be superhero movies. That's not to say there haven't been missteps but I dig their overall approach.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
Holy poo poo that Cap trailer. I haven't been pumped for a movie this much in a long time, like....Phantom Menace era. Not to say this movie will disappoint anything like Phantom Menace, but remember the original trailer? It was mind blowing at the time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DFu4ever posted:

I thought the jacket part of the Cap costume in Avengers was pretty awesome, it's just that the cowl didn't really work.

Yeah, I hate the cowl, I don't know why they don't just give him a modern combat helmet painted blue. Why does he even need a mask, none of the other Avengers have a secret identity (well maybe Banner/Hulk), and Natasha and Sam Wilson are running around without any type of mask.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The first Cap movie was great up until he became Captain America. After that it became a grossly predictable PG-13 action movie with a hilariously awful ending. It appears this movie is trying something interesting with Cap at odds with SHIELD and I guess the US government. It reminds of how Iron Man 3 tried to do something different.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Joe Don Baker posted:

The first Cap movie was great up until he became Captain America. After that it became a grossly predictable PG-13 action movie with a hilariously awful ending. It appears this movie is trying something interesting with Cap at odds with SHIELD and I guess the US government. It reminds of how Iron Man 3 tried to do something different.

It's fitting, a lot of Captain America's biggest moments are when he's at odds with the government. Like the time it was revealed Nixon was the evil mastermind behind a global domination scheme, and when confronted by Cap, Nixon commits suicide. Or the time Reagan turns into a giant snake and Cap has to punch him in the face. He doesn't represent the American government, or even necessarily the American people. He represents the idealism of America in it's greatest moments.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Absolutely. It's what I like most about him. I figured the movie would be strictly Winter Soldier stuff, but I'm glad it's more than that. I hope they can pull it off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sitting through Captain America I was reminded of the action sequences in Raiders of the Lost Ark for some reason. And I count that as a good thing.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...
Captain America fails because it elects to have a series of weightless montages instead of a real third act. Up to the point that it does this, it's a pretty great movie.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Paul Rudd as Ant-Man in an Edgar Wright movie just sounds loving magical in every way. If I didn't love Marvel Cosmic and James Gunn (and Chris Pratt... and Karen Gillen... and...) I'd say that it's easily my most anticipated Marvel movie.

Winter Soldier trailer looks really solid. I liked Captain America a lot the first time, less so on rewatches, but this one defintely looks like it's going for a more political movie, and it looks like it's doing it pretty well instead of heavy-handing it. I'm cautiously optimistic, but it looks like Marvel might have realized some of the problems in Phase One and are letting the directors do what they have to do to make a good movie, not just an Avengers tie-in.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 25, 2013

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

We're not only getting The Falcon and The Winter Soldier in a major motion picture, but we're getting them along with Robert loving Redford.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Holy gently caress I am so loving amped for Captain America. I freaked out at seeing THE loving FALCON. Then the amazing end shot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was debating if I should make another one of these....but I figured, what the hell.

Captain America gently caress Yeah: Winter Soldier Edition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uia6ygaVdcc

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
So if Paul Rudd and Rashida jones are in, who in the MCU does Jason Segel get to play?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Crunk Abortion posted:

So if Paul Rudd and Rashida jones are in, who in the MCU does Jason Segel get to play?

The Beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Crunk Abortion posted:

Stilt Man

• Locked thread