Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
The show writers are good at character hangout fanfiction, like the scenes Robert and Cersei, Varys and Littlefinger, Tywin and Arya, Oleanna and everybody, etc. They are bad at wholesale inventing new plot elements, because Martin's world is so intricate that when you mess with it things start to get stupid. Like how replacing Edric with Gendry makes conservation of characters sense, but the logistics of getting him to Dragonstone don't. Or Dany in Qarth, or everything Talisa, or how they had to pad out the Kings Landing marriage schemes in Season 3. It's usually an effort to simplify things and balance character screentime but it just proves that Martin had good reasons for writing the way he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jeffersonlives posted:

There was a recent article on GRRM that indicated it would be released in 2014, and really if you start thinking about how fast he needs to get things out to not get overtaken, it kind of has to be.

if his football teams do terribly that'll probably encourage him to write more this winter.

Thankfully, the Giants at least are doing their part just fine.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

computer parts posted:

if his football teams do terribly that'll probably encourage him to write more this winter.

Thankfully, the Giants at least are doing their part just fine.

But if they're doing terribly then he'll be depressed and won't feel like writing because life is miserable and full of pain.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The showrunners know the entire story so they probably have a better idea about what can be condensed than we do. The only specific instance GRRM has called them out on is killing Mago.

And on that note I have a feeling we'll have some kind of revelation about Khal Drogos death in the next book, that Mago had used the arrow wound as cover to poison him or something.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 25, 2013

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Omnomnomnivore posted:

The show writers are good at character hangout fanfiction

Except with Stannis for some reason.

I'm actually least worried about the ending since the major elements have been foreshadowed so heavily. Martin's problem has been getting all the characters into place again in a sensical way to set it up, and it's only going to be harder for the show with so many characters missing (I think he's also mentioned Loras's brothers as having a role despite being written out of the show), so I'd expect some more irrational links like Gendry's adventures or the Greyjoys' geographic ignorance.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
The show's Red Wedding was so, so much better than the book's. So much more impactful. You don't get 3 chapters of Catelyn whining for weeks. The whole "Don't you want to teach little Ned how to ride a horse" is so poignant. Watching Talisa stabbed in the womb was one of the toughest things I've ever seen.

There's stuff the book does better, and there's stuff the show does better.

But the scene with Bronn and the Hound almost fighting was so poorly written... the dialogue. But I guess GRMM wrote that episode though, didn't he?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

escape artist posted:

The show's Red Wedding was so, so much better than the book's. So much more impactful. You don't get 3 chapters of Catelyn whining for weeks. The whole "Don't you want to teach little Ned how to ride a horse" is so poignant. Watching Talisa stabbed in the womb was one of the toughest things I've ever seen.

There's stuff the book does better, and there's stuff the show does better.

But the scene with Bronn and the Hound almost fighting was so poorly written... the dialogue. But I guess GRMM wrote that episode though, didn't he?

GRRM wrote the episode. David and Dan wrote that scene.

Also disagree on the Show RW being better than the Book RW but whatevs.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Its a medium thing. You cant really beat riding in Cats head as her entire world crumbles around her, culminating in her completely snapping, with tv. Its not possible.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

PootieTang posted:

Stuff like Arya being Tywin's cupbearer or Jeyne Westerling (I think that was her name) being replaced with some other original character (a self insert of one of the shows writers maybe?) are detriments.

The last one was extra confusing to me because it just made such weird changes to it, it didn't even have that huge of an effect on the plot it just made everything a bit more... Amatuer.

The Arya/Tywin interactions are some of the best scenes of the series and Jeyne Westerling is a boring character who comes out of nowhere and does nothing interesting, so changing her into an actual character was a good move.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

In It For The Tank posted:

GRRM wrote the episode. David and Dan wrote that scene.

I believe that was one of the "filler" scenes where they noticed that they got everything they planned and budgeted for and whoops, the episode wasn't long enough. So they filmed that scene in an improvised set at a hallway, around the corner from the throne room or something.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Final scene of the show red wedding was really terrible it felt like I was watching a school play and some kid stumbled in from off stage to cut her throat after almost forgetting to do so. Hell all the finales are pretty bad for some reason they all feel super amateur compared to the rest of their respective seasons, like they always run out of money right at the end.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Mr. Unlucky posted:

Final scene of the show red wedding was really terrible it felt like I was watching a school play and some kid stumbled in from off stage to cut her throat after almost forgetting to do so. Hell all the finales are pretty bad for some reason they all feel super amateur compared to the rest of their respective seasons, like they always run out of money right at the end.

Yeah the bit where Roose does the whole "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" didn't have the climactic impact that I thought it should have. It felt like an afterthought.

But the show has improved a lot of things over the books. Some characters that were mediocre or mostly forgettable in the books like Margaery really shine in the show. Maybe they'll actually manage to make Dorne interesting.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 684 days!)

So why do people like the Arya/Tywin scenes besides them involving two beloved characters? It really does feel like fanfiction, there's absolutely no story or setting justification for Arya engaging in witty repartee with Tywin. It's the basic definition of contrived.

Arya's entire arc is hosed, totally void of everything that made it dramatically potent in the books.

It's like every change they made was to undercut what made those scenes thrilling in the books. No peril, no soup, no Roose, no cold-blooded Arya making her first kill. Season 2 chapped my balls so hard with its incessant sucking.

Sexgun Rasputin fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 25, 2013

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
It's fun to watch witty repartee on TV.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

So why do people like the Arya/Tywin scenes besides them involving two beloved characters? It really does feel like fanfiction, there's absolutely no story or setting justification for Arya engaging in witty repartee with Tywin. It's the basic definition of contrived.

Arya's entire arc is hosed, totally void of everything that made it dramatically potent in the books.

It's like every change they made was to undercut what made those scenes thrilling in the books. No peril, no soup, no Roose, no cold-blooded Arya making her first kill. Season 2 chapped my balls so hard with its incessant sucking.

I prefer Arya's arc. In the book she jumps straight from frightened child to stone-cold killer who murders Northmen. I like that the show is slowing it down a bit. I thought her first kill with the Frey was pretty well done.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 684 days!)

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I prefer Arya's arc. In the book she jumps straight from frightened child to stone-cold killer who murders Northmen. I like that the show is slowing it down a bit. I thought her first kill with the Frey was pretty well done.

Arya was always a hardass who wanted to stab people.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

jsoh posted:

Its a medium thing. You cant really beat riding in Cats head as her entire world crumbles around her, culminating in her completely snapping, with tv. Its not possible.

I guess it depends on what you encountered first. For me, it was the show. I was so annoyed by Cat that when she was killed, it was a relief. She spends literally weeks complaining, pissing off Robb and Edmure and others (myself included).

Either way, some rear end in a top hat spoiled it with avatars 30 minutes before the episode aired, so I never got an unsullied Red Wedding experience.

Also, I thought Arya's transition in the book was fine. She watched her dad get killed. Then killed a boy to escape capture. She sees Jaqen kill all of those people in the book... Then she kills the one dude on the way out of Harrenhal. Not to mention, how many times did we hear her death prayer?

I love Tywin/Arya in the show but I also love Roose Bolton (in the show and book) and I wish he would have gotten more scenes. Season 2 is kind of a clusterfuck. A Clash of Kings is my second favorite book in the series, and Season 2 is just... tough to watch.

One thing I didn't like about the show, but I understand the creative decisions, was giving Robb a lot more scenes.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 25, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The show definitely underplays Roose a lot, but I think in a way the book overplays how hosed up and horrible a person he is and how much a grudge his family has against the Starks, because when he betrays them, I know I personally had been expecting him to turn coat for ages.

So I think the show was aiming at maybe a more blindsidey Red Wedding than to have the creepy flaying dude who leeches himself do the thing his family has a long history of doing.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

GRRM writes on the Marvel sliding scale of time. The next book is always half-done, he's always just about to publish the first half of the next installment so we don't wait too long, etc.

On the plus side, he now just releases books that are half done. Just, six years apart.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

jsoh posted:

Exactly. And because of that, TV Red Wedding was fundamentally inferior because of it, too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Azure_Horizon posted:

fundamentally inferior

This isn't a thing.

The only scene I imagine won't end up better in the show is Tywin's death because you can't have that chapter-ending line.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I think the show's Red Wedding was much better then in the books. Because show Cat is an interesting character while book Cat is not. So nobody interesting actually died at the Red Wedding in the book.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
It was a great loss for Jinglebell fans everywhere.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

tonberrytoby posted:

I think the show's Red Wedding was much better then in the books. Because show Cat is an interesting character while book Cat is not. So nobody interesting actually died at the Red Wedding in the book.

Uh, Grey Wind died there, you rear end in a top hat.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Azure_Horizon posted:

Exactly. And because of that, TV Red Wedding was fundamentally inferior because of it, too.

The addition of Talisa being womb-shanked immediately and completely cancels out any losses from format.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bown posted:

This isn't a thing.

The only scene I imagine won't end up better in the show is Tywin's death because you can't have that chapter-ending line.

I'm 100% positive Tyrion will just say it out loud.

Have they said anything about Tywin making GBS threads gold in the show?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Have they said anything about Tywin making GBS threads gold in the show?

Yup, GRRM made sure of it. In Episode 8 of Season 1, Robb tells a Lannister scout to warn Tywin that 20,000 Northmen are marching south to see if he really does poo poo gold.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's probably going to be a case of Varys asking Tyrion what happened afterwards, and Tyrion responds that he just learned that Tywin does not in fact poo poo gold. It would be a killer penultimate scene in next year's finale.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

CPFortest posted:

It's probably going to be a case of Varys asking Tyrion what happened afterwards, and Tyrion responds that he just learned that Tywin does not in fact poo poo gold. It would be a killer penultimate scene in next year's finale.

Much as I like "Only Cat" or Stoneheart, I think that Tyrion is too much the favorite for the audience to care about anything after his killing Shae and Tywin (or just Tywin).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Mortabis posted:

Yeah the bit where Roose does the whole "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" didn't have the climactic impact that I thought it should have. It felt like an afterthought.

But that is what made it so good. It wasn't an overstated dramatic moment, it was quick, underplayed, and a bit awkward. Which is exactly how Roose would have done it.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

tonberrytoby posted:

Cat in the show is made out to be much stupider character since they don't give you any indication why she should want to trust the Lannisters when she freed Jaime. I don't know how non-readers were able to feel any connection with her after that. In the book, Jaime verfied Tyrion's story about the dagger which lets her know Tyrion wasn't just making it up, which means she knew Tyrion didn't try to kill Bran. She also remembers that Tyrion saved her life.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I think people may overestimate how long it takes for people to go cold like that in such a dangerous environment. Arya is believable in the books (although she obviously has a protagonist's luck.) The show people might have been trying to make her more sympathetic or they decided that to have her kill a man with the coin would be a really keen event to end the season on--which I agree with.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

BrooklynBruiser posted:

The addition of Talisa being womb-shanked immediately and completely cancels out any losses from format.

Which is then counter-cancelled by the fact that nobody gave a loving poo poo about Talisa. The womb-stab was pretty hosed up, but I also didn't really care about Paper-Thin the Character.

If "Roose Change" had been correct at all, then I would agree with you. It wasn't, though.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 25, 2013

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Azure_Horizon posted:

Which is then counter-cancelled by the fact that nobody gave a loving poo poo about Talisa.

You may have spent too much time on the internet. Your average tv show watcher loved the gently caress out of her and Robb.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

rypakal posted:

You may have spent too much time on the internet. Your average tv show watcher loved the gently caress out of her and Robb.

It was a dull romance in the book that was thankfully off-page, and it was even more boring on-screen. I never understood the interest.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Azure_Horizon posted:

It was a dull romance in the book that was thankfully off-page, and it was even more boring on-screen. I never understood the interest.

I won't claim it made sense. Also stabbing her in the baby is just going to elicit a physical response from the audience, of nothing else.

Obtuse Angol
Apr 28, 2010
The Tywin/Arya scenes were fine in and of themselves. But also really kind of dumb in context; Tywin being all "What's that? Oh, just the wind." with Arya doesn't make sense given that in an earlier episode he demonstrates the fact that he can clearly describe some other minor lordling from memory (sorry, but I refuse to sperg it up and reference this). I know they would never have met before, but given he's portrayed as a stone-cold badass, and that the Starks are his rivals, AND that he's actively searching for her, him dropping the ball on that given how obvious Arya was being really undermines his effectiveness as an antagonist.

More importantly (and this is my second biggest criticism of the show), it meant absolutely no establishing for Roose as a character at all. A couple of people I know who hadn't read the books were basically "Who the gently caress's this guy?" when he showed up. This smacks of half-arsed TV adapatation - streamlining characters and plot arcs might be more cost efficient, but it shows a profound lack of forethought when you then have to grease them up and cram them back in to accomodate future developments which, as a writer, you should know are coming up. (See also: the Reed siblings. I wholeheartedly believe that Osha was being set up as Bran's native companion up until the point the writers realised "Oh poo poo, she's actually dead against all this magic stuff. This doesn't make sense. Save us, GRRM!")

My biggest criticism? The Tyrion/Varys/Shae "fish pie" scene. "FNAR, FNAR! Ist funy becos fishes is lyke a bagina!". Whoever thought that qualified as witty, entertaining or just plain old not-totally-loving-puerile should never work in any creative field ever again.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Azure_Horizon posted:

Which is then counter-cancelled by the fact that nobody gave a loving poo poo about Talisa. The womb-stab was pretty hosed up, but I also didn't really care about Paper-Thin the Character.

If "Roose Change" had been correct at all, then I would agree with you. It wasn't, though.

I thought Roose Change was a purposely made conspiracy theory video to throw off non-book-readers?

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Even knowing what was coming that was so brutal, was a perfect way to start the proceedings.

Watching again though, that essay about Dany did show Daario representing war and conquest, and at the end Dany does decide to embrace that part of her. He also suggested, and she ruminated on later, pulling a red wedding of her own. If she did would people see it positively or negatively just from the changed perspective?

Also Game of Thrones meets Mean Girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Obtuse Angol posted:

"FNAR, FNAR! Ist funy becos fishes is lyke a bagina!".

You wrote this. You wrote this and expect to be taken seriously.

• Locked thread