Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

There's supposed to be some sort of "Emergency" livestream with an announcement tomorrow morning (8am EST) on Nico: http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/10/22/blazblue-chronophantasma-getting-emergency-livestream-with-important-announcement/

Wish the markup on Japanese PSN points wasn't so bad, always makes buying stuff from there a pain.

Edit: Apparently the Xrd loketest will have a 3rd new character, so there's some more good news.

Edit 2: BlazBlue:CP is now up on the JPSN store if you wanted to get a digital copy of the game.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
Vanguard Princess is up on Steam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=187111395

quote:

Vanguard Princess on Steam will be the latest update of the game (Version 1.4.1). For the first time, Vanguard Princess will be available for Mac OS X and Linux gamers. The game will also be formatted for SteamOS, Steamworks, and Steam-powered devices (such as Nvidia Shield).

Due to popular demand from the Greenlight community, we will release an uncensored version or free game patch of Vanguard Princess on Steam for gamers who want it.

It's also the next bonus game in this bundle once it reaches its unlock target, so you could get that plus Hatoful Boyfriend and some bullet hell title for $1.50: http://groupees.com/doujin2

Anyway after two weeks of waiting for it to come back in stock + six weeks of shipping I finally got one of these NeoGeo usb pads from Play Asia. It's pretty good for a controller, form is small but it still works well enough and the thumb pad's better than most d-pads I've used. Stick is still the better choice but if you don't want something that big or expensive it's a decent alternative. Only problem I've had with it so far is the left shoulder button, it doesn't make a proper connection with its switch so it feels spongy and doesn't work half the time. Probably just a bad unit and not something that's common to the line, but between the wait for a replacement and the fact I wouldn't be using the button much I'll probably just stick with this one.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Another fighting game on Steam that has a flurry of activity and then dies on its arse a month later? Can't wait!

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Extreme VS Full Boost is now up on Play-Asia and other import sites with a release date of January 30th. It's the most popular arcade game in Japan and has a decently big following of former/current FG players in the west for how it incorporates a lot of similar concepts.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
That's because fighting games just don't have any mass appeal. It's a niche genre for the most masochistic subset of gamers.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Popehoist posted:

Extreme VS Full Boost is now up on Play-Asia and other import sites with a release date of January 30th. It's the most popular arcade game in Japan and has a decently big following of former/current FG players in the west for how it incorporates a lot of similar concepts.

Unlimited Brett Works streams this game a bunch and has some cool basics guides up for the original version of the game here.

I wish I had more folks to play locally with, the online is really hit and miss.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

If you liked AquaPazza but want a better version of that game, get Vanguard Princess.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Unlimited Brett Works streams this game a bunch and has some cool basics guides up for the original version of the game here.

I wish I had more folks to play locally with, the online is really hit and miss.

The online is really, really good actually, it's just kind of insular. I never thought a 4p game would be playable with such low frame delay across the atlantic. But you need to know the right people to get into the good rooms, because it only takes 1 lagger to lag the entire room, so if your host isn't on point about keeping the room lag-free you can have issues.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

interrodactyl posted:

If you liked AquaPazza but want a better version of that game, get Vanguard Princess.

While I prefer AP personally, Vanguard Princess is a really fun game. I'm sure it will get greenlit.

Popehoist posted:

The online is really, really good actually, it's just kind of insular. I never thought a 4p game would be playable with such low frame delay across the atlantic. But you need to know the right people to get into the good rooms, because it only takes 1 lagger to lag the entire room, so if your host isn't on point about keeping the room lag-free you can have issues.

I guess I should look into groups then when FB drops then. I lost a lot of matches back when the game hit PS3 because I couldn't keep a stable connection, I just wanted to chuck GMs at people with the Blue Destiny!

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.

I voted yes on this, but I felt incredibly dirty while doing so. I just want more fighting games on Steam.

Cass posted:

Anyway after two weeks of waiting for it to come back in stock + six weeks of shipping I finally got one of these NeoGeo usb pads from Play Asia. It's pretty good for a controller, form is small but it still works well enough and the thumb pad's better than most d-pads I've used. Stick is still the better choice but if you don't want something that big or expensive it's a decent alternative. Only problem I've had with it so far is the left shoulder button, it doesn't make a proper connection with its switch so it feels spongy and doesn't work half the time. Probably just a bad unit and not something that's common to the line, but between the wait for a replacement and the fact I wouldn't be using the button much I'll probably just stick with this one.

I actually had mine arrive a couple days ago. The travel on the thumbpad is a bit bigger than I remember it, but it's so far been good to me. Only problem I've had is the 360 controller emulator hasn't recognized it. It's the second best solution to my idea that someone should just take the Neo Geo Pocket Color's clicky stick and slap that on to a proper controller.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Voted for Vanguard Princess. Ill totally buy it again to have it on Steam and hopefully not need Xpadder to play it.

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

why doesn't greenlight have a "gently caress no" button

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Holy poo poo that game is anime as gently caress

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax

Lonely Rolling Star posted:

I actually had mine arrive a couple days ago. The travel on the thumbpad is a bit bigger than I remember it, but it's so far been good to me. Only problem I've had is the 360 controller emulator hasn't recognized it. It's the second best solution to my idea that someone should just take the Neo Geo Pocket Color's clicky stick and slap that on to a proper controller.

If the emulator problem is with it recognizing the thumbpad then try holding Start + Select while plugging the pad in, its inputs will register as a X/Y axis instead of a point of view hat. Makes it work easier with some games and keybinding programs too.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://twitter.com/Yoshi_OnoChin/status/393257221284315136

Quick someone recommend me so I can save Street Fighter. JK that's impossible.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
It's AH3 revival time again. Everyone go buy and play AH3 now.

EDIT: anime.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Usually I wanna punch people that use "anime" as a genre definition (because they are imbeciles) but Vanguard Princess is FUCKIN' ANIME AS gently caress. It looks a bit bland to me too, just a solid GG-like (or airdasher, or doujin fighter, or I dunno this sub-genre has a thousand names and they all suck) with strikers. Anything I'm missing?

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.

Cass posted:

If the emulator problem is with it recognizing the thumbpad then try holding Start + Select while plugging the pad in, its inputs will register as a X/Y axis instead of a point of view hat. Makes it work easier with some games and keybinding programs too.

Yeah, I've been doing that already, since playing platformers would be a pain using the thumbstick as a pov hat. I've just had trouble getting the emulator to recognize anything other than the face buttons either way. Skullgirls also weirdly doesn't recognize the shoulder buttons, even though they work fine in say FEZ.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dias posted:

Usually I wanna punch people that use "anime" as a genre definition (because they are imbeciles) but Vanguard Princess is FUCKIN' ANIME AS gently caress. It looks a bit bland to me too, just a solid GG-like (or airdasher, or doujin fighter, or I dunno this sub-genre has a thousand names and they all suck) with strikers. Anything I'm missing?

It's actually more similar to 3rd strike (with a button to parry instead of a direction) than guilty gear I believe. Other then being anime as gently caress, I don't think it's an anime fighter. There's no airdash and the combos are dialed way back.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, VP isn't anywhere near as fast as Guilty Gear or Melty or whatever. This is an out-there comparison, but the general feel reminds me a bit of Rage of the Dragons.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

VP is basically like Aquapazza with no chain cancels and a more elaborate assist system, with ST-like supers and damage levels. It's not anything like RotD or Guilty Gear or 3S or any other anime fighter really. Very footsie heavy, massive swings between offense/defense/mid game, super high damage, lots of guard crushes and dizzies.

It's pretty unique and a lot of fun. It has a lot of bugs and still has some weird infinites, though I think those are pretty character/situation specific at this point at least.

Also it's a totally free game, the paid for version just has an English translation and a couple of bug fixes. It's not updated at all anymore either, the author of the game seems to have permanently retired from working on it.

In BB:CP news, Kagura is a ton of fun. Flash Kick and Sonic Boom, giant rear end pokes, stance chains, AND a command grab? That's good stuff. His astral seems exceptionally easy to hit with too.

Oddly, the Japanese version of the game has the English dub included. No English subs or anything though.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 24, 2013

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Well, that actually sounds at least worth a try. Not a lot of footsie-heavy fighters around.

It sucks that fighting games are either the same formulas we've played a hundred times or some neat new concepts packaged in JAPAN-OVERLOAD, some brokeness and weird/non-existent netplay, which makes them even more niche in an already niche genre. :sigh:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
^^^^ I think you're describing videogames in general, just substitute "JAPAN" with "INDIE".

Oh nice, I've been looking for a game with "ANIME APPEAL" for a while now.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

rivals posted:

It's AH3 revival time again. Everyone go buy and play AH3 now.

EDIT: anime.

My best FG event memory was going to Michigan Masters a few years back to play SF4 with my friends but just finding a guy to play AH3 sets with for four hours

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Countblanc posted:

My best FG event memory was going to Michigan Masters a few years back to play SF4 with my friends but just finding a guy to play AH3 sets with for four hours

This past weekend I was at a tournament where a guy managed to organize a 19 man AH3 side tournament.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Mr. Fun posted:

This past weekend I was at a tournament where a guy managed to organize a 19 man AH3 side tournament.

It really is a Good Game, hopefully there's a console release date for LM soon.

theonlypie314SA
Mar 19, 2013

Some new mechanics are confirmed for Ultra Street Fighter IV including the use of both ultras and Red Focus Attacks:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/sf4/system.html

Video of new mechanics here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrUcZyQUl6Y

Also, unblockables are removed.

theonlypie314SA fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 25, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
EDIT: I can't read, disregard this post.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jivjov posted:

Were there even any unblockables in super/arcade?
Paraphrasing because you edited jerk

does the Ken FP jump in count? Im pretty sure that has always been in the game

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I can see the use for the double-Ultra in characters like Chun-Li who barely uses their super for damage purposes.

Also buff Chun.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Tae posted:

Also buff Chun.

Yeah, her legs are pretty thick.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
Well, I like the visual effect of red focus(the smoke is a nice touch).

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

VP is basically like Aquapazza with no chain cancels and a more elaborate assist system, with ST-like supers and damage levels. It's not anything like RotD or Guilty Gear or 3S or any other anime fighter really. Very footsie heavy, massive swings between offense/defense/mid game, super high damage, lots of guard crushes and dizzies.

It's pretty unique and a lot of fun. It has a lot of bugs and still has some weird infinites, though I think those are pretty character/situation specific at this point at least.

Also it's a totally free game
Checked it out, because not like anime fighter+free. I found a japanese 1.08v on a german website, that doesn't require non unicode(? or something) programs to be set to japanese(called vanpri108e).
Anyway, I was overwhelmed by the insane amount of anime. The sprites are really well made though. I especially like the animations of the grappler. But that anime, man.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

apple posted:

It really is a Good Game, hopefully there's a console release date for LM soon.

Yeah, I hope so too. Trying to learn Elsa now after only playing Heart before. She seems fun so far.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

theonlypie314SA posted:

Some new mechanics are confirmed for Ultra Street Fighter IV including the use of both ultras and Red Focus Attacks:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/sf4/system.html

Video of new mechanics here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrUcZyQUl6Y

Also, unblockables are removed.

Huh, so is the red focus meant to replace regular focus attacks, or added alongside them? If the latter, would there be a reason to use the reg over the red?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Ghostpilot posted:

Huh, so is the red focus meant to replace regular focus attacks, or added alongside them? If the latter, would there be a reason to use the reg over the red?

They're added alongside regular focus. Red focus costs meter.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there a new blazblu thread or is this it? Someone i gameshare with bought it so im playing around with it. Is there a character thats considered newbie friendly?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Fauxtool posted:

is there a new blazblu thread or is this it? Someone i gameshare with bought it so im playing around with it. Is there a character thats considered newbie friendly?

Kagura is apparently good for that. Ragna, Jin and Noel aren't bad new player choices in any version of the game. God I hope that game arrives today.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Fauxtool posted:

No thread yet. For characters, just jump in to whatever character you like the look of most. But if you have no opinion on the matter, Bullet is pretty simple and has great normals so she's pretty easy to jump in and push buttons with. Hakumen isn't a bad choice either, big rear end pokes, huge damage, and counters.

Kagura is a little weird due to his drive chains but he's not too difficult to pick up some basic combos with, and his fireball is kinda really stupidly good for everything too.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can you point me towards a current wiki where i can look up the various gimmicks? It seems like everyone has a unique meter or # above the super meter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

Can you point me towards a current wiki where i can look up the various gimmicks? It seems like everyone has a unique meter or # above the super meter.

Gwyrgyn might have a better one, but http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=BlazBlue:_Chrono_Phantasma has some combo and strat stuff on newer characters, and frame data for everyone.

• Locked thread