Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Can someone with Mavericks who also has the Xbox 360 controller drivers installed test to see if it still works? There was a long period of time where I couldn't get them to work on Mountain Lion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do I make Safari warn me when I'm closing multiple tabs with cmd+q?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Got a late 2012 MBP Retina. I'm using the HDMI out to my 20" Dell 1920x1080 monitor. It looks "off". Like it isn't scaled properly. If I use the "Underscan" slider, it makes it worse, but it looks like it doesn't find that right spot where it is 1:1 pixel. The only option I have is 1080p, and not something like 1920x1080 for resolution switching. I tried 1080i and that makes the whole thing flicker. Anyone ever run into this? Text looks janky and half blurry and half sharp. Since it's over HDMI I can't adjust any settings on the monitor end other than brightness, etc.

Also, got an external Apple keyboard and mouse hooked up to this. How do I use it without the lid open? The power button is on the inside. If I close the lid, it makes the monitor go to sleep also.

Mavericks doesn't seem to be able to identify my fancy full-size Apple aluminum wired USB keyboard, either.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you want to use it in closed-lid while connected to an external monitor you have to plug in the AC adapter. Then when you close the lid the computer will go to sleep, then tap a key on your keyboard and it will work again. Make sure you go to Bluetooth preferences and turn on "allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer."

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone updated to Maverick from Lion? I've got an early 2011 MBP and have been debating on going ahead and doing the upgrade or waiting. Wanted to see if anyone had any problems when skipping Mountain Lion before I did anything rash.

roxanne
Sep 5, 2006

blk96gt posted:

Anyone updated to Maverick from Lion? I've got an early 2011 MBP and have been debating on going ahead and doing the upgrade or waiting. Wanted to see if anyone had any problems when skipping Mountain Lion before I did anything rash.

I did, haven't had any problems. I have a late 2011 MBP.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

If you want to use it in closed-lid while connected to an external monitor you have to plug in the AC adapter. Then when you close the lid the computer will go to sleep, then tap a key on your keyboard and it will work again. Make sure you go to Bluetooth preferences and turn on "allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer."

Thanks! It works now!

I also found a fix for my external monitor looking like poo poo: http://ireckon.net/2013/03/force-rgb-mode-in-mac-os-x-to-fix-the-picture-quality-of-an-external-monitor

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

vikingstrike posted:

I remember when the dock was changed in 10.5 people used a hack to change the background image of the dock to get the old one back. Has anyone poked around to see if this is possible on 10.9 with the side dock?

The dock command line changes and such no longer work in 10.9.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Everything's great with the new Safari until animated GIFs enter the equation. First off, they are not fluid at all. Even as I type this post the attention and hot buttons are jumpy. Very slideshowy. Second, if you press spacebar to scroll down the page and there happens to be an animated GIF between where you start and end, the scroll is completely hosed. Basically, it jumps down about a third of the way instantly. Then, three seconds later it goes to where it was supposed to originally...instantly.

What the hell? Is this because I upped my resolution to 1600 x 1050?

e: Switching to 1440 fixes it. drat, I was really liking the other resolution so much. :(

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 25, 2013

dzarc
Jul 3, 2004

Stupid Newbie
Does anyone have this issue with VLC player where if you minimize the video, you cannot get it back up if the original window was set to "float on top". The screen is hidden or something. What's up with that? :(

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I'm having issues with mplayerx after upgrading to mavericks. I usually maximize out something on my second monitor, but after upgrading to mavericks I get a grey bar at the top of the screen on my second monitor where the menu bar is, which is really annoying. I googled a solution, which said to uncheck using the second monitor as spaced in mission control. This solved the menu bar problem, but now when I maximize a video on the second monitor my primary goes blank.

How hard is it to really make this multi-monitor thing actually work? It seems like every version of the OS does something that just doesn't make any sense at all with multiple monitors.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Did you check for updates for mplayerx? I think one came out today for bug fixes.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

Mu Zeta posted:

Did you check for updates for mplayerx? I think one came out today for bug fixes.

I'm updated.

edit: After messing around with my display settings I got the grey bar to disappear. I just changed the resolution and when I changed it back it was gone. I'm not sure if this is a permanent fix but hopefully this method can help anyone else who is having this problem.

mike- fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 25, 2013

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Is it no longer possible to get Pages to automatically capitalise the first letter of a sentence?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Seams posted:

Is it no longer possible to get Pages to automatically capitalise the first letter of a sentence?

There's a hotkey that enables this, but only individually on a sentence-by-sentence basis. "Shift."

I'm an rear end, I can't help it.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Seams posted:

Wait was this actually an option before? Like, I understand the appeal for touch typing devices, but shouldn't you basically be doing that simply by knowing how to type? How and why would that ever be an actual option?

Edit: Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're asking here.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I just hit the shift key, but apparently in the previous version of Pages it changed automatically if you forgot or missed it or whatever.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
What is the recommended ad block extension for Safari?

v Cheers, I have always used Chrome!

imnotinsane fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 25, 2013

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I just use AdBlock and it works fine. You can get it from Safari -> Safari Extensions... It's on the top of the list.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Seams posted:

I just hit the shift key, but apparently in the previous version of Pages it changed automatically if you forgot or missed it or whatever.
Haven't messed with it yet but maybe it was using the system wide text stuff. There's a bunch of stuff under the Edit menu (and contextual menu it seems), mess with those settings and see if any of them does it. And I guess check out Pages' preferences, it might've been in there in the old version.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Scrolling is much improved in Mavericks (on a new RMBP) but I still find it a bit jittery in Safari. Is this a problem that's really hard to fix or something?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

KingEup posted:

Scrolling is much improved in Mavericks (on a new RMBP) but I still find it a bit jittery in Safari. Is this a problem that's really hard to fix or something?

my scrolling was too slow. kind of stupid to have to enable inertia and faster scroll speed through the Accessibility settings

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

jeeves posted:

The dock command line changes and such no longer work in 10.9.

It didn't involve the command you're thinking of. Basically you would go into /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Content/Resources and replace the appropriate png files that are used to create the dock background. That's how people got 10.5 got those shelf looking docks. The only command you had to run was "killall Dock" to restart it.

I just checked and this folder is still present with many of the same files.

Here's an old article on it.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20071025084657387

I would try and play around if I was better with PS and wasn't on deadline. Maybe next week if no one else has tried.

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 25, 2013

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

vikingstrike posted:

It didn't involve the command you're thinking of. Basically you would go into /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Content/Resources and replace the appropriate png files that are used to create the dock background. That's how people got 10.5 got those shelf looking docks. The only command you had to run was "killall Dock" to restart it.

I just checked and this folder is still present with many of the same files.

Here's an old article on it.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20071025084657387

I would try and play around if I was better with PS and wasn't on deadline. Maybe next week if no one else has tried.

The included files are only for spaces and a few other minor items now. Most of the dock is software drawn.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Well, here's some kudos for Mavericks for a change.. on an older MacBook, downloading large JPEGs over wireless doesn't make my CPU fan start whining any more.

If anything Safari's a LOT more efficient at loading pages with large static graphics, with 10.8.5 I used to see my CPU go to 72-75C almost all the time, with Mavericks/Safari it never goes above 65C even on the crappiest photo preview pages (like Flickr). Pretty drat sweet for a free OS upgrade if you ask me.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

benisntfunny posted:

The included files are only for spaces and a few other minor items now. Most of the dock is software drawn.

Oh, well. It was worth asking. Thanks for the info.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
The way Mavericks deals with window locations and sizes on multiple monitors is driving me insane. It worked perfectly fine in Mountain Lion, so I don't understand why them officially adding support for multiple monitors has broken the very thing it was supposed to fix.

If I have Application Window A on Monitor 2 in Position X,Y and then close that window or quit that application, the next time I open Application Window A, it should remember to be on Monitor 2 in Position X,Y. That seems like such a simple thing that I can't imagine why it doesn't work anymore.

I realize it's at least possible that I'm just doing something "wrong", if you goons have any ideas. I open Safari, which I want on Monitor 2. The window always comes up in the same random position (not locked to top, bottom, or side) and random size (not full-screen, not half-screen, just kind of an odd size). At least it does remember to use Monitor 2, but every time I close a Safari window or quit the app, the next time I open Safari it's defaulting back to the wrong size and position. Again, I never had this problem with Mountain Lion. Then, it remembered which apps I had on which monitor, and it remembered where on each monitor each applications window(s) were supposed to be located.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
The new behaviour for the power button on laptops in Mavericks seems weird to me. Why default to sleeping when presumably 90% of people just shut the lid? I've managed to hit it accidentally once already and it's a minor annoyance.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Magic Mango posted:

The new behaviour for the power button on laptops in Mavericks seems weird to me. Why default to sleeping when presumably 90% of people just shut the lid? I've managed to hit it accidentally once already and it's a minor annoyance.

What did it used to do? I think the only time I've hit the power button is to hold it to force a reboot.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

What did it used to do? I think the only time I've hit the power button is to hold it to force a reboot.

It used to show the "Are you sure you want to shut down your computer?" dialogue box with options for shutdown, reboot and sleep, which it actually still does if you hold it down.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Ahaha, no, Pages. That's actually bullshit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

lord funk posted:

Ahaha, no, Pages. That's actually bullshit.

And let me guess, there's no way to keep '09 because the MAS just overwrites it?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

And let me guess, there's no way to keep '09 because the MAS just overwrites it?

'09 from the App Store gets updated/overwritten. '09 from a CD stays in place alongside the App Store versions.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My "open with" right-click menu shows two versions of all the iWork apps, even though I only see one copy of each app installed.

Maybe look for that?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Magic Mango posted:

It used to show the "Are you sure you want to shut down your computer?" dialogue box with options for shutdown, reboot and sleep, which it actually still does if you hold it down.

Setting is consistent with iOS behavior now.

I actually prefer the new method. I was always afraid I'd hit the power button while typing something and accidentally hit Enter and shut everything down.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Oneiros posted:

'09 from the App Store gets updated/overwritten. '09 from a CD stays in place alongside the App Store versions.

My '09 App Store version just got shoved into it's own folder under Applications. Check and see if you have them there.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

thegreatcodfish posted:

My '09 App Store version just got shoved into it's own folder under Applications. Check and see if you have them there.

I actually had the CD version. I was just assuming that the App Store version would be overwritten because, you know. thats what the App Store usually does. :iiam:

That's kind of weird. Has the App Store ever preserved previous versions of apps before?

FCKGW posted:

I actually prefer the new method. I was always afraid I'd hit the power button while typing something and accidentally hit Enter and shut everything down.

Magic Mango posted:

How on earth are anyone's fingers anywhere near the power button during normal use? :psyduck:

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Oneiros posted:

How on earth are anyone's fingers anywhere near the power button during normal use? :psyduck:

MacBook Air has the power button as a keyboard key just above backspace and I have big dumb fingers.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Oneiros posted:

It's just another chiclet in the row of function keys and the Air isn't that big?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

I never noticed that when I was looking at Airs. :downs:

The new behavior does seem a bit odd and redundant now, though.