Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

Oneiros posted:

I never noticed that when I was looking as Airs. :downs:

The new behavior does seem a bit odd and redundant now, though.

It makes sense for desktop Macs, but not so much for laptops.

Also, did they remove the ability to drag text with 3 finger drag? I hope that's just a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dzarc
Jul 3, 2004

Stupid Newbie
Wait a second, does closing the lid put the computer to sleep no matter if it was on battery or plugged in? Is there a way to turn that off if it's plugged in?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Supgaiz posted:

It makes sense for desktop Macs, but not so much for laptops.

Also, did they remove the ability to drag text with 3 finger drag? I hope that's just a bug.

Three-finger drag defaulted to off when I upgraded, maybe check that.

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Three-finger drag defaulted to off when I upgraded, maybe check that.

Turns out BTT is messing it up for some reason.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

dzarc posted:

Wait a second, does closing the lid put the computer to sleep no matter if it was on battery or plugged in? Is there a way to turn that off if it's plugged in?

InsomniaX used to do that, but it looks like it's no longer in development. The supported way is to plug in an external keyboard (and a display, possibly) and use that to wake it once you close the lid.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Did the file permission structure change for Mavericks? I use a Print Server at the schools I work at and it's throwing me errors regarding file permissions - acting like the files are open in other programs or that I no longer have permissions to authorize them to be sent to the server. Has anyone else had problems with this? Is there a known fix?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My mother's imac is at the lower end of the requirements to upgrade - 2.4ghz core 2 duo (24 inch). Does mavericks run well at that end?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

A Yolo Wizard posted:

My mother's imac is at the lower end of the requirements to upgrade - 2.4ghz core 2 duo (24 inch). Does mavericks run well at that end?

I'm the same processor on a 13 inch MacBook. Runs pretty swell here. I have 8gb of ram though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ziploc posted:

I'm the same processor on a 13 inch MacBook. Runs pretty swell here. I have 8gb of ram though.

As long as you have 3-4GB you should be good for browsing the web and iTunes and such.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

As long as you have 3-4GB you should be good for browsing the web and iTunes and such.

It has 4gb. I think the most intensive thing she uses it for is some light editing in iMovie (not even hd though, just 640x480 footage from her older camera). does imovie get updated with whatever they were talking about w/r/t ilife and iwork?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Yes, iMovie gets updated. And iMovie 10.0 is bugtastic at the moment. But on the plus side, like the iWork apps, the iMovie update leaves the older version in a folder in your Applications folder.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Don't know the best thread for this, since iCloud affects many Apple products. But:

How the gently caress do I get Apple to stop sending me warnings that my iCloud storage is almost full? I don't give a poo poo; it's been "almost full" for two months now and they send me an email about it EVERY DAY. There's no unsubscribe option. I'm very tempted to forward them on a daily basis to Eddy Cue's email address until they stop.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Choadmaster posted:

Don't know the best thread for this, since iCloud affects many Apple products. But:

How the gently caress do I get Apple to stop sending me warnings that my iCloud storage is almost full? I don't give a poo poo; it's been "almost full" for two months now and they send me an email about it EVERY DAY. There's no unsubscribe option. I'm very tempted to forward them on a daily basis to Eddy Cue's email address until they stop.

Flag it as spam in your client or create rule to send it to the ANNOYING poo poo folder. That's what I do to messages that I can't opt-out of for various reasons.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Flag it as spam in your client or create rule to send it to the ANNOYING poo poo folder. That's what I do to messages that I can't opt-out of for various reasons.

I was going to say this wouldn't help me when I'm checking mail on iOS (which is most of the time now), but I googled and to my surprise, iCloud lets you set up server-side filters. Who knew...

I'd still love if there was a way to tell them to gently caress off, but this does solve my problem.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

thegreatcodfish posted:

My '09 App Store version just got shoved into it's own folder under Applications. Check and see if you have them there.

I did, but I deleted it as soon as I upgraded (Pages is around 650MB). People say you can download the old iWork 09 trial and it'll work, but it is undeniably lazy programming to not have an earlier document parser.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I decided to let go of Sparrow's rotting corpse and check out Airmail. It's pretty nice, much like Sparrow only supported and not murdered by Google as of yet. Also at $2 it's a bargain.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Upgrading a MBP 3.1 from 10.4 to 10.9. Thats got to be the biggest jump allowable.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You might want to sit down, it could be a shock. Also wow, someone else on this earth who still uses a 3,1 MBP. :hf:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Stare-Out posted:

You might want to sit down, it could be a shock. Also wow, someone else on this earth who still uses a 3,1 MBP. :hf:

Oh its not my only Mac. I've been using 10.8. The MBP 3.1 was a salvage and the former owner didn't upgrade but did use it up until 6 months ago when the battery blew out. Clean install. New 500G SSHD, 2GB => 4GB, disassemble and clean innards/outside, the works.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 25, 2013

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

Oh its not my only Mac. I've been using 10.8. The MBP 3.1 was a salvage and the former owner didn't upgrade but did use it up until 6 months ago when the battery blew out. Clean install. New 500G SSHD, 2GB => 4GB, disassemble and clean innards/outside, the works.
I'm still rocking all stock stuff, 4GB and a malfunctioning left fan. :haw: The battery went the way of the dodo ages ago though, been considering getting a new one but that stuff's steep.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is there a way to show the estimated time left on battery on the battery icon in the menu bar on Mavericks? I see an option to show the percentage remaining next to the icon, but nothing to show the remaining time like you could on previous OS versions.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

lord funk posted:

I did, but I deleted it as soon as I upgraded (Pages is around 650MB). People say you can download the old iWork 09 trial and it'll work, but it is undeniably lazy programming to not have an earlier document parser.

The word 'lazy' gets thrown around a lot and I don't really agree in this case. Maybe it wasn't on the priority list for the first version of the new Pages, but I'm sure it will be included later. The number of people that have documents created in a 5 year old version of Pages that they never saved in the 4 year old version of Pages is pretty small I would bet.

Since everyone has access to Pages '09 still it's not the worst solution.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

DarkJC posted:

The word 'lazy' gets thrown around a lot and I don't really agree in this case. Maybe it wasn't on the priority list for the first version of the new Pages, but I'm sure it will be included later. The number of people that have documents created in a 5 year old version of Pages that they never saved in the 4 year old version of Pages is pretty small I would bet.

Since everyone has access to Pages '09 still it's not the worst solution.

Nah, it is lazy. Look at it this way: Pages '09 had a way of parsing earlier versions so they would open in '09. The same method can be dropped into today's Pages.

MS Word can open .docs from the 90s. Come on.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Or they could have just made the design decision to remove that cruft because it's trivial for the incredibly small portion of users who haven't updated their files in the past four years to make a few extra clicks to finally bring themselves out of the Stone Age.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Splinter posted:

Is there a way to show the estimated time left on battery on the battery icon in the menu bar on Mavericks? I see an option to show the percentage remaining next to the icon, but nothing to show the remaining time like you could on previous OS versions.

I miss this too. And the time machine icon isn't animated anymore! I'm getting angstier about this than a facebook user raging over a minor design tweak :argh:

My PIN is 4826 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 26, 2013

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Stare-Out posted:

I'm going from a 15" MBP c2d 2.16 with SL to a new Retina 13" MBP with 16 gigs of RAM and a 256 gig SSD. I think it will take some getting used to.

lua
Jun 16, 2013

Splinter posted:

I use Slimbatterymonitor for this. It's ancient and never gets updated but it works fine on Mavericks. You can set it up to just show the hours remaining and put it next to the default battery icon and it's like they never removed that feature.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Arrrrrg. The whole reason I downloaded Mavericks was to fap to higher time remaining on battery numbers than I ever saw on Lion. You'd think with all the emphasis on improved battery life Apple would want to offer more battery stats on the menu bar rather than less. Perhaps constantly recalculating time remaining was draining too much battery..

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Yeah the whole "time remaining" is kind of wildly misleading anyway since it's calculated based on the current load. People were likely freaking out when their battery would drop 3 hours as soon as they loaded a YouTube video.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
The parallels people email me like every day to upgrade from 8 to 9. I'm struggling to find a good reason.

Anyone have any compelling arguments for Parallels 9 vs 8? The company kind of annoys me. I understand building a continuing revenue stream but there's a point in time that they decide they won't fix poo poo in the current version and the new one isn't even out yet...

Also I feel like they should fix prior versions and give people better reasons to upgrade to the new one.. not just "Upgrade to Parallels 9 because we fixed bugs we released int he prior version!"

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Use this as an opportunity to switch to VMWare.

lua
Jun 16, 2013

Wario In Real Life posted:

Yeah the whole "time remaining" is kind of wildly misleading anyway since it's calculated based on the current load. People were likely freaking out when their battery would drop 3 hours as soon as they loaded a YouTube video.

Yeah, but that makes it kind of useful beyond just how long your battery will last. If you're just using Pages on 90% and you see it drop to 2 hours, you know something's up.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
What's the easiest way to reinstall Quicktime X? I've been having some weird issues with it that I was hoping that upgrading to Mavericks would clear, but they haven't.

I'm pretty sure it's specific to this computer because it works just fine on my other Macs, so I just need to reinstall it. Is there a way to do so without doing the whole OS?

EDIT: I just noticed that there seems to be no recovery partition.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 26, 2013

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

benisntfunny posted:

The parallels people email me like every day to upgrade from 8 to 9. I'm struggling to find a good reason.

Anyone have any compelling arguments for Parallels 9 vs 8? The company kind of annoys me. I understand building a continuing revenue stream but there's a point in time that they decide they won't fix poo poo in the current version and the new one isn't even out yet...

Also I feel like they should fix prior versions and give people better reasons to upgrade to the new one.. not just "Upgrade to Parallels 9 because we fixed bugs we released int he prior version!"

I went from 7 to 9 and AFAICT it wasn't an improvement in any way other than that 7 doesn't support 10.9.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

lord funk posted:

Nah, it is lazy. Look at it this way: Pages '09 had a way of parsing earlier versions so they would open in '09. The same method can be dropped into today's Pages.

MS Word can open .docs from the 90s. Come on.

From what I've heard this is a ground up rewrite. Some features from Pages '09 aren't even implemented in the new Pages yet. So it's not as simple as dropping it in and saying 'job done', and I don't blame them for cutting it from the design or simply from the release.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Wario In Real Life posted:

Use this as an opportunity to switch to VMWare.

I demoed both for their two week trials and preferred Parallels. Did I miss something? Is there something VMWare does better? It would basically cost the same to switch so I'm open.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

I decided to let go of Sparrow's rotting corpse and check out Airmail. It's pretty nice, much like Sparrow only supported and not murdered by Google as of yet. Also at $2 it's a bargain.

Airmail is indeed awesome and they just introduced a bunch of new features in the latest 1.2 version.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

lord funk posted:

Ahaha, no, Pages. That's actually bullshit.

Oh great, this is going to make migration of the Momputer to a modern machine real fun.

(She's on an old 2006ish iMac running 10.6 and the contemporary iWork. Decided to slow down on updating it a few years ago because 10.7 would have required some retraining and it was working fine as is. Was hoping to move her to a new computer soonish; maybe I should wait till a new iWork release to see if they treat it like FCPX and add in some of the missing poo poo over time.)

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Quidnose posted:

Did the file permission structure change for Mavericks? I use a Print Server at the schools I work at and it's throwing me errors regarding file permissions - acting like the files are open in other programs or that I no longer have permissions to authorize them to be sent to the server. Has anyone else had problems with this? Is there a known fix?

For a little more information, this is using the Print Manager Plus printing suite software web thing. Anyone run into this issue at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

benisntfunny posted:

I demoed both for their two week trials and preferred Parallels. Did I miss something? Is there something VMWare does better? It would basically cost the same to switch so I'm open.

I have found that Parallels is quirkier with more professional workloads, and VMware hasn't really forced you to upgrade versions because there was a new version of OS X, which I find important now that they are yearly.

Also, Vmware is the gold standard for virtualization for Windows, Linux, and enterprise.