Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

blackguy32 posted:

It also suffers from the Rockstar treatment where every woman in the game is pretty much treated awfully.

Yeah, I hid that in "brushes off some real horror flippantly". I'm really kind of disappointed they didn't make one of the three protagonists in GTA5 a woman and give an attempt at making a good character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I played another hour or so of Ico, saving at the waterfall. I have a sword and stuff now. You were right, Equilibrium. I don't think this necessarily makes the combat good but it now fits into the game and I'm enjoying it an lot more since I know I don't have to actually sit there and finish a fight before moving on. Really makes the atmosphere more effective when we're actually fleeing.

To be fair I had the same reaction as you did initially, and I assume most people do because as a Ueda game you aren't given a whole lot of direction so it's common to go in with the expectation that every enemy in a puzzle-platformer is to be killed rather than ran from. It wasn't until my second playthrough when I started to learn the route for the sub-2 hour speedrun trophy that I really fell in love with the design. Stuff like this (early on) completely intended skip is too cool.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I would absolutely love to play a R* game with a female protagonist and I know a lot of you feel the same. My GTAO charcter is a woman and it's hilarious/tragic some of the responses that gets. R* clearly have the chops to write a story that would be compelling and fun to play, but I feel like they are held back by a lot of who their major audience is, i.e. idiot young male 'gamers'. It's really a shame, because in a magically non-commercial space I think they could make something that would revolutionize the whole industry.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Chard posted:

I would absolutely love to play a R* game with a female protagonist and I know a lot of you feel the same. My GTAO charcter is a woman and it's hilarious/tragic some of the responses that gets. R* clearly have the chops to write a story that would be compelling and fun to play, but I feel like they are held back by a lot of who their major audience is, i.e. idiot young male 'gamers'. It's really a shame, because in a magically non-commercial space I think they could make something that would revolutionize the whole industry.
I wrote a fairly long email to Rockstar North (not Rockstar itself) about this, and how women are portrayed in GTA5 specifically, along the lines of "Is this part of the negative image America sends out to the world and I don't realize it?". I don't know if I will ever get a response though. I don't know if they can hear me over the sound of all their money.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 26, 2013

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Okay I finished BF3's campaign on PS3 for the first time. The campaign was really easy on PC with M/KB aiming but on console it's been kind of frustrating for me. A lot of instantly getting popped in the face as soon as I got out of cover so I couldn't even shoot anyone. A few pieces of cover weren't actually cover, like one of the last levels had a fallen tree that I hit behind which was not a collidable object at all!

So if you aren't in cover you basically instantly die even on Normal because you just start being focused by five different people that you can never return fire to despite having three AI allies to shoot at. So the first thing you do is run to the closest cover which is a car and oh there was a script for a dude to shoot an RPG at that car to instantly blow it up and it killed you. Well I'm glad my teammate yelled "Stay clear of the cars!" right after I died. Oh by the way that guy who shoots the rocket is invincible if you stay back far enough to snipe him. Until he shoots the car anyway. Then he falls over dead instantly if you shot him already.

Edit: Is GTA5 online fixed yet? Can I play without fearing my character will get deleted? Every time I've wondered into one of the GTA5 threads to ask that question I've made myself look like an idiot so I thought why not ask here because it's apparently a dumb question.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I love Rockstar, but I dropped RDR after like 5-6 missions in Mexico. You were clearly helping evil people do horrible things very transparently, and I only sort of understood why. I just stopped feeling like John was a neutral-whatever-it-takes type and more that he was just a goony thug, and I really had a problem with the already mentioned "one-man-slaughterhouse, I, a single gun wielding man, will now threaten you into doing something" which I never ever bought. I understand the game goes on to greatness, but all of Mexico was such a huge drag, both emotionally and in terms of pacing, that I couldn't care.

Sleeping Dogs, as others have said, was a massive 2012 sleeper and worth that low, low price.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I think like five people kept playing RDR past the Mexico part. Same as Uncharted 3 and the ship graveyard.

edit: GTA5 mellowed out SLIGHTLY on the "you're always going to be working for assholes" element but I guess Rockstar considers it to be their signature thing. Along with women and feminism being portrayed in the worst way they can imagine.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 26, 2013

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I feel bad for not completing RDR because of that. The walk into town would have been awesome at the beginning of the game or if you played a douche the whole game but it was just kind of weird. I also didn't like the duel minigame or many of the characters who were supposed to be sort of wacky and incompetent but your friend or whatever like the salesman. gently caress that guy I want to shoot him in the face.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Equilibrium posted:

Look how wrong this post is.

I love Ico to death, but the combat is easily the worst part of the game and probably the only thing I didn't like. Luckily it's also the a really small part of the game.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Chard posted:

I really think they could pull it off, and even use the fact it's a woman in an stereotypical male environment as part of the story. Like have some goons be all "A woman? :rolleyes:" and then have her feed them their balls. I'd love to basically play as Ma-Ma from Dredd, going from hooker to crimelord or something.

The rage and barely concealed misogyny from GTAforums alone would be worth it too.

And speaking of Sleeping Dogs, I wish they'd left out gun combat entirely, it's too common later in the game and is no fun, especially as the hand to hand was great.

Spalec fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 26, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think like five people kept playing RDR past the Mexico part. Same as Uncharted 3 and the ship graveyard.

edit: GTA5 mellowed out SLIGHTLY on the "you're always going to be working for assholes" element but I guess Rockstar considers it to be their signature thing. Along with women and feminism being portrayed in the worst way they can imagine.

If everyone gave up as easily as you do nobody would finish games, Sanders.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The thing is, Marston knows these guys are dicks too. Even though he's going along with it, he meets them with contempt in his voice. Even right before Mexico he's getting tired of being dicked around. All he wants to do is just go back home.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

If everyone gave up as easily as you do nobody would finish games, Sanders.
You call it "giving up", I call it "stopping playing games that are driving me nuts in favor of others that aren't".

edit: that wasn't the only problem I had with RDR, mind you. It was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I put it back on my shelf and after a month I realized I hadn't felt the desire to play it even once since then, so I sold it. Same as GTA4 before, but not GTA5 from the look of it, unless it goes completely to bullshit 4/5 of the way through or something.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 26, 2013

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Wasn't the whole Mexico section of RDR meant to be a Spaghetti Western with the black vs very grey morality story, while the first section is a more classic western, and the third the modern Unforgiven type Western? I thought Bonnie was a good character, wish she would have caught a break though.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

DeathSandwich posted:

Is Red Dead Redemption + Undead Nightmare worth picking up for $14 on PSN+? I've never really heard much about that game aside from the little one off lines I hear from the Giant Bomb podcast guys (Jeff loving hated it and Brad loving loved it).

Imagine that High Plains Drifter and The Outlaw Josey Wales were actually different parts of the same movie, only a little more ham-fisted and also it's GTA. If this doesn't sound amazing to you then we can't be friends.

Bust Rodd posted:

I love Rockstar, but I dropped RDR after like 5-6 missions in Mexico. You were clearly helping evil people do horrible things very transparently, and I only sort of understood why ... all of Mexico was such a huge drag, both emotionally and in terms of pacing, that I couldn't care.

A lot of people feel that Mexico was the bad part of the game for the reasons you give, but it worked well enough for me. I felt like the pacing of that portion of the game was very deliberate. At first it gives you a cooldown / transition from the previous act, which is fine. After that, I think the game is supposed to feel a little futile. You're supposed to feel like John is wasting his time and being strung along. You're stuck working for complete assholes (of course), but by that point it's already established that you are willing to do almost anything to (early plot device) save your family, and I imagine John is weary and numb by this point, and sort of plodding along on autopilot.

It probably wasn't the most appealing direction for R* to take, provided that it was actually intended to evoke the kind of response I'm talking about. I could be reading way more in to it than there actually is because of my response to that part of the game after 3 or 4 playthroughs. I agree that it was the worst part of the game, but for me it wasn't so much "bad" as it was just not-as-good.

E:

Harlock posted:

The thing is, Marston knows these guys are dicks too. Even though he's going along with it, he meets them with contempt in his voice. Even right before Mexico he's getting tired of being dicked around. All he wants to do is just go back home.

This is a lot of what I was trying to get at, but I forgot how much hate Marston drips while he sneers his way through the last half of the Mexico arc.

titties fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 26, 2013

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Also the side missions in RDR were good even though most were fetch quests, especially the "I Know You" one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I played another hour or so of Ico, saving at the waterfall. I have a sword and stuff now. You were right, Equilibrium. I don't think this necessarily makes the combat good but it now fits into the game and I'm enjoying it an lot more since I know I don't have to actually sit there and finish a fight before moving on. Really makes the atmosphere more effective when we're actually fleeing.

There's a better weapon at the top of the waterfall room. Before the puzzle of jumping across the waterwheel (which is a really over-precise jump that'll piss you right off), there's a secret room. Go push the wall between the rows of stairs in the room with the pillar that launched you all the way up into the air.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Holy poo poo Uncharted 2 and this train ride with the plane. These guys really suck at the whole pacing and shooting gallery thing.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I got RDR for real cheap which was great because it meant I din't feel too bad about giving up after I realized I'd played for two hours and all I'd done was ride a horse next to someone who kept trying to shove my horse off the road.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I found following NPCs while riding even more irritating than forced driving/conversation parts in GTA. At least in GTA you can control where you're going so it feels like you're playing a game instead of watching a cutscene except that you have to hold a button down.

I have so many problems with Rockstar games but same as with Bethesda, no one else does things on the scale or with the budget that they do.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I'm enjoying my first time through The Walking Dead. Is there a general consensus on if it is worth it to play the game again with different choices, or to just enjoy it for what it is ala Heavy Rain and not ruin the illusion of different outcomes and consequences?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

titties posted:

A lot of people feel that Mexico was the bad part of the game for the reasons you give, but it worked well enough for me. I felt like the pacing of that portion of the game was very deliberate. At first it gives you a cooldown / transition from the previous act, which is fine. After that, I think the game is supposed to feel a little futile. You're supposed to feel like John is wasting his time and being strung along. You're stuck working for complete assholes (of course), but by that point it's already established that you are willing to do almost anything to (early plot device) save your family, and I imagine John is weary and numb by this point, and sort of plodding along on autopilot.

It probably wasn't the most appealing direction for R* to take, provided that it was actually intended to evoke the kind of response I'm talking about. I could be reading way more in to it than there actually is because of my response to that part of the game after 3 or 4 playthroughs. I agree that it was the worst part of the game, but for me it wasn't so much "bad" as it was just not-as-good.

That's an interpretation I guess but if their intention was to make people get frustrated and want to quit to identify with the protagonist, then the ideal reaction would be to actually quit which apparently some people do. Mexico could have been 1/3rd the length and it would already be making people check the completion percentage to see if the game will end already. They had this whole great geographical area and tons of cultural and movie references to mine and they made it into the greatest chore possible and made you hate it which is a sincere shame.

The other problem with all of Mexico is that it soured absolutely everything for me until the epilogue. I completely gave up on plot and was just playing to finish it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

the truth posted:

I'm enjoying my first time through The Walking Dead. Is there a general consensus on if it is worth it to play the game again with different choices, or to just enjoy it for what it is ala Heavy Rain and not ruin the illusion of different outcomes and consequences?

You'll at least want to wait a while, but I thoroughly enjoyed my second playthrough. The main points of the story don't change, but enough small things are altered that the journey between those points can feel very different.

Also, at the start of episode 5 (spoiler about one way the big early decision plays out) I had chosen to look for Clem alone. I thought it wouldn't give me the option to lose the arm, there being no friends to perform the surgery. It's still there, Lee just lays his arm on a table and hacks it off himself. It was the most :black101: thing in any videogame.

I'll probably do a third run on Vita at some point when I can pick it up for three bucks like in the current PS3 sale. I kind of need to one day so the missus can see the story.

400 Days though, that wasn't really even worth playing once. Very bland little pile of nothing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Apart from the "I work for assholes" bit, RDR also suffers a bit from the Rockstar mission formula: watch cutscene, go to a setpiece (with more exposition while you travel), have a cover-based shootout, possibly repeat. Also some missions are linear as gently caress and you can fail them at the drop of a hat without any prior indication. I once came across a scene where a man badly beat his wife and thought, you know, John will of course save her, but doesn't have time for this poo poo, also it's been well established that a human life isn't worth much around here, so shot the guy dead on the spot. Mission failed because what the designers want you to do is just take her to a safe place, and later in the game shoot the guy dead in a duel, but only after he's found his wife and killed her. And I thought, yeah guys, that's the better outcome for everyone, sure.

Don't get me wrong though, great game and well worth playing if you never have, especially now that you can pick it up cheaply. But it is the only Rockstar game I ever sold after I was through with it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I am in love with Hotline Miami. I'm terrible at it, but I'm in love with it.

The soundtrack is loving amazing as well.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

EC posted:

You should play the guy's previous game.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

EC posted:

The controls seem a bit finnicky. When you release the aiming stick, are you meant to go back into "you look in the direction you're moving" mode? Because any time I aim with the stick, from then on, I'm locked in whatever direction I pointed the stick, until I aim again.

Seems really weird, to the point where I wonder if my controller just has a janky zero point. (I still use launch-era controllers with no vibration)

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Shalinor posted:

The controls seem a bit finnicky. When you release the aiming stick, are you meant to go back into "you look in the direction you're moving" mode? Because any time I aim with the stick, from then on, I'm locked in whatever direction I pointed the stick, until I aim again.

Seems really weird, to the point where I wonder if my controller just has a janky zero point. (I still use launch-era controllers with no vibration)

I don't think so, I get that on the Vita version too. Seems intentional.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

TaurusOxford posted:

Raiden can parry everything except lasers. Remember that.

Jack is back :supaburn:, and suddenly everything is much simpler.

Also helping is that I finally realised that when the game turns blue, slows down, and splashes [mystery kanji] across half the screen, it's prompting me to enter blade mode. I spent so long loving around in the helicopter fight after beating wolf having no idea how I supposed to kill the bloody thing, just passing over it again and again without landing any hits, wondering why the hell my screen kept going blue :cripes:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Just finished Sleeping Dogs. Not a bad game, but lacks replay value. I will probably jump into Nightmare in North Point in a little bit, I am kind of burnt out on playing it.

The worst thing I can say about it is that the gunplay feels sloppy and I could see one of the big plot twists from a mile away.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I downloaded Dark Souls 2 beta from a code they publicized on Thursday.

Is it expected behavior for it to warn
Me when I try to play it (I know it's not time yet...) that it's an older version and I should go to the PSN store to update to the newest?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Feenix posted:

So I downloaded Dark Souls 2 beta from a code they publicized on Thursday.

Is it expected behavior for it to warn
Me when I try to play it (I know it's not time yet...) that it's an older version and I should go to the PSN store to update to the newest?

Yeah, you're fine.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Jesus what is it that makes the Japanese so drat bad at the internet?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ho Ho, little did I know nobody is fine and everything is the worst!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Ho Ho, little did I know nobody is fine and everything is the worst!

You know, I get that this is a beta and a stress test, but gently caress man, it's live from 3am to 6am EST. People stayed up for this. Why even offer 30,000 codes to the USA on Facebook?

Going to bed. I'd rather sleep than sit here and watch another Japanese developer hit the internet with a bone repeatedly and try to figure out how to work it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My Shadow of the Colossus HD impressions:

"gently caress it's that music again! I love the music in this game!"
"Hey this looks pretty good for what was a PS2 game"
"Oh my god the controls are so clumsy what the hell"

Man I wish the stupid team would release another game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was so disappointed that they didn't tweak the controls for the HD release. They are the one lovely thing I wanted changed about some of the most perfect games ever. I honestly would have rather played Shadow in SD with good controls as opposed to HD with that horrible Japanese-mid-ps2-era-camera that sucks so bad.

Felt the same way about Resident Evil 4 as well. If you are going to re release something please fix the controls so it's playable in 2013. It's so loving hard to navigate those games after I have played newer games that don't feel like they are slapping me in the face every time I try to do something.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 27, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ahahaha:

https://twitter.com/namcogames/status/394372427485949952

Sorry we got your hopes up and made you wait up all night. Now excuse us while we go read "Internet for Dummies".

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Feenix posted:

Ahahaha:

https://twitter.com/namcogames/status/394372427485949952

Sorry we got your hopes up and made you wait up all night. Now excuse us while we go read "Internet for Dummies".
I got accepted for for the Japanese test on Sunday (my Monday), is that one ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZergRushing
Oct 1, 2004

Shalinor posted:

I wanna say that this is because it's a PC game ported to console. Since you move with WASD and aim with the mouse that never really happened to me.

• Locked thread