Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
April
Jul 3, 2006

smg77 posted:

Have we seen what all seven powers are?

Telekinesis
Pyromancy
Mind Reading
Human Voodoo doll
Murder vagina
???
???

I'm not sure what Cordelia's powers are but we've seen her doing something with plants and having snake sex. I'm also not sure if Misty's resurrection power is a standard witch power or if she's special.

It seems like Nan can also predict the future. In one of the first episodes, she told Zoe she would find a strange & unexpected love, or something like that. And Fiona kissed the guy in the first episode & sucked out his life force, I don't even know what you'd call that one. Or maybe it's just another version of murder vagina?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Random Stranger posted:

I'm going to guess that she's going to wind up being the next supreme and unite both factions.

If it were any other show, then yes -- I'd say Queenie would be perfect for that. However, (a) the two covens have no external enemy yet to unite against (well, other than the world), and (b) it's AHS, a series which would be just as happy to end everything with a bonfire where everyone's dead and... I don't know, a satanic minotaur baby kills its babysitter. Plus aliens.

In fact, calling the bonfire + satanic minotaur baby apocalypse now.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

April posted:

It seems like Nan can also predict the future. In one of the first episodes, she told Zoe she would find a strange & unexpected love, or something like that. And Fiona kissed the guy in the first episode & sucked out his life force, I don't even know what you'd call that one. Or maybe it's just another version of murder vagina?

It could be an 'evolution' or something thereof. Succubus-themed powers or something.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

April posted:

It's probably the controlled, trained version of murder vagina. Figure all the girls were weaker and less capable when they first began to manifest. Madison probably did poltergeist stuff, Nan likely couldn't keep the voices out and Zoe is probably a succubus.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

haveblue posted:

I don't think the seven wonders necessarily correspond to what we've seen on the show so far. The way I interpreted that bit was that since a typical witch has one power and an exceptional witch may have 4 or 5, demonstrating mastery of 7 is taken as sufficient proof that she has pretty much all of them and may be recognized as the Supreme.

The Last Supreme was frozen in an iceberg for 100 years while the Voodoo Witch Nation conquered the world and...

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

smg77 posted:

Have we seen what all seven powers are?

Telekinesis
Pyromancy
Mind Reading
Human Voodoo doll
Murder vagina
???
???

I'm not sure what Cordelia's powers are but we've seen her doing something with plants and having snake sex. I'm also not sure if Misty's resurrection power is a standard witch power or if she's special.

She's talked about potion stuff several times. I think that's what she does: Imbues potions with magic. It fits her personality well so far.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I just hope we're done with the rape this season.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Ror posted:

I'm already ashamed of myself for this, but I would really like a looping GIF of the bubbling semen.
One of the odder requests I've ever seen. Had to fulfill.
With.. semenplosion:

Just plain loop:

Rest of the episode;

TheBizzness posted:

Pretty much my sentiments 24/7.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

TheBizzness posted:

The Finer Arts > The TV IV > American Horror Story: Coven - I just hope we're done with the rape this season.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Spiky Ooze posted:

I think like True Blood this show has the weakness of trying to cover too much ground. Pretty much everything from suspense to character development relies on a slow burn, and instead they just have giant casts and all sorts of subplots. I hate to channel my high school art teacher but "less is more!"

I appreciate that opinion on the show, but I just want to throw in that the accelerated pace of AHS is one of the primary reasons I love it so much (the same might be said of another Ryan Murphy show, Nip/Tuck). He's got a great way of making each episode end on a majestic cliff-hanger that feels like you've just watched the season finale of any other drama. The entire landscape of the show often seems to change multiple times over the course of a single episode. IMO it's amazingly creative how they pull it off without completely burning out viewers.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

petewhitley posted:

I appreciate that opinion on the show, but I just want to throw in that the accelerated pace of AHS is one of the primary reasons I love it so much (the same might be said of another Ryan Murphy show, Nip/Tuck). He's got a great way of making each episode end on a majestic cliff-hanger that feels like you've just watched the season finale of any other drama. The entire landscape of the show often seems to change multiple times over the course of a single episode. IMO it's amazingly creative how they pull it off without completely burning out viewers.

The only problem with that is they can end up burning themselves out, like they did with Asylum.

You just keep building each episode bigger and bigger, sooner or later you need to resolve it all, and in a manner that's satisfying given all of the anticipation. If they don't have some kind of large scale power struggle this time around, I think a lot of people are going to sour on the show.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
We are, what, 3 episodes in? If AHS keeps to its track record then the game's gonna change pretty dramatically by the time we are midway through the season, and will change again, even more dramatically, somewhere near the end of the season. Why are we whinging about the season's ending already? After 2 pretty awesome seasons I have enough faith in the show's writers to create satisfying endings (and I count season 2's "anticlimax" to be a great way to wrap up the crazy that was housed in that asylum).

I wonder if with the death of Madison a new supreme will be chosen automatically/Fiona's demise will not slacken at all. What I really want is for Queenie to become the Supreme Voodoo Queen and have her wreck some poo poo with her army of well built minotaur.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

April posted:

Maybe the "powers of a succubus"?

edit: xeria said this already. I concur.

haveblue posted:

I don't think the seven wonders necessarily correspond to what we've seen on the show so far. The way I interpreted that bit was that since a typical witch has one power and an exceptional witch may have 4 or 5, demonstrating mastery of 7 is taken as sufficient proof that she has pretty much all of them and may be recognized as the Supreme.
I think there are probably other powers than "the seven wonders". I think that's what you meant, too.

I, for one, am glad Madison is gone. And I hope she doesn't come back. And I believe that it will shown that she wasn't the true Supreme anyway, so her death will be all the more tragic-- Fiona's paranoia will have resulted in the death of an innocent, promising young witch, and we know witches are already an endangered species.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 26, 2013

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

This must now be in every op for this show(maybe entire forum?).

April
Jul 3, 2006

Ok this is driving me crazy. In the third episode, the scene where the new neighbor is unloading the truck and a few others, I SWEAR I recognize the music. Is it from Poltergeist?

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I want whatsherface to take Frankenstein out of his suffering by loving him to death. I also want someone to point out that she's gotten really weird about a guy she knew for 15 minutes.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's overcompensation for how incredibly lovely her life has become. He's the personification of a normal life, which is the thing she is mourning the loss of when she runs into him. A good guy that tried to do the right thing and help people out was destroyed by magic. So it really gets to her. Then she sees a way to make it better, so she gets a bit obsessive about the whole thing. Get him fixed, get him back to his mom, make it right. Help him be the nice normal guy again so that she can be reassured 'nice' and 'normal' are things that can still exist after magic.

Of course it's all a giant lie, and not just because he's not really the same person that died [Perhaps literally]. His life was never all that normal and nice, as we see when mommy tries to 'comfort' him. He was hosed up before he ever met her, he just hid it pretty well. So she's fighting for something that never really existed in the first place and didn't have the meaning she thought it did, but it's still a fairly natural reaction to what she's been through.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

I hope that Zombie-Kyle gets un-zombined soon or at least made into a smart-zombie or something, because Evan Peters' too good of an actor and it just seems like a waste.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
You know, Zoe walking in on that is even more hosed up when you realize that she has no idea that Kyle's mom was a child molester. I'm not saying that his mom "deserved" it (she was a hosed-up sexual predator, granted), but Zoe's going to blame herself for Kyle's mom's death. Zoe's going to think that this "thing" she brought back from the dead just killed a woman for no reason while looking like the woman's son.

nutranurse posted:

I hope that Zombie-Kyle gets un-zombined soon or at least made into a smart-zombie or something, because Evan Peters' too good of an actor and it just seems like a waste.

I think he will eventually. It's only been two episodes as a zombie and he already seems to be regaining some sort of recognition or others, possibly some of his past memories.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's overcompensation for how incredibly lovely her life has become. He's the personification of a normal life, which is the thing she is mourning the loss of when she runs into him. A good guy that tried to do the right thing and help people out was destroyed by magic. So it really gets to her. Then she sees a way to make it better, so she gets a bit obsessive about the whole thing. Get him fixed, get him back to his mom, make it right. Help him be the nice normal guy again so that she can be reassured 'nice' and 'normal' are things that can still exist after magic.

Of course it's all a giant lie, and not just because he's not really the same person that died [Perhaps literally]. His life was never all that normal and nice, as we see when mommy tries to 'comfort' him. He was hosed up before he ever met her, he just hid it pretty well. So she's fighting for something that never really existed in the first place and didn't have the meaning she thought it did, but it's still a fairly natural reaction to what she's been through.

In the beginning of the episode, didn't the mom say that she found her son's stash(of meth it seems like)?

Anyway, this was another good episode, with a lot more emotional drama. I felt there were a lot of "Everyone has problems" or humanizing moments. That said, Madison's death was sad because not only was she not aware of anything, she didn't seem like she wanted to become supreme in the first place. To be fair though, she was given like, less than 10 minutes to process the whole "You are the next supreme" information, but still, I don't think she has the power hungry trait in her. Fiona wanted to be supreme badly, but the girls seem more like they just want to, y'know, be young adults. I mean, they can do whatever they want to begin with and adding witch powers on top of that makes it even more.

My guess for the finale is that (in true AHS fashion) all of them will die with the exception of Evan Peter's character who will literally become Satan after the final witch dies.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Postal Parcel posted:

(of meth it seems like)?

That was weed. Have you never seen weed before?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Postal Parcel posted:

That said, Madison's death was sad because not only was she not aware of anything, she didn't seem like she wanted to become supreme in the first place. To be fair though, she was given like, less than 10 minutes to process the whole "You are the next supreme" information, but still, I don't think she has the power hungry trait in her.

It was even more sad because during the "bonding with Fiona" scenes, you could tell Madison was really desperate for a mother figure in her life, and she really seemed to enjoy spending time with Fiona. Madison even dropped her usual "I'll use sarcasm and insults as a defensive shield" act around her, and when Fiona said she had cancer, Madison immediately offered to use all of her Hollywood contacts to get her the best doctors available.

For which Fiona thanked her by cutting her throat. :smith:

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

nutranurse posted:

That was weed. Have you never seen weed before?

Sorry, sorry. I came in late to the scene and just heard stash and considering how messed up she looked, I went with the worst.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

I mean, I don't blame you, she seems to fit that PWT demographic that normally uses meth. But Kyle's a good kid, and good kids only do weed.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 26, 2013

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Postal Parcel posted:

Sorry, sorry. I came in late to the scene and just heard stash and considering how messed up she looked, I went with the worst.

As a ganja consumer of the Gulf Coast, I can assure you a woman that dresses and behaves like that is guaranteed to have a glass bowl pipe.
Always date the Cajun women that like their screen-pipe or bat/one hitters. You know theirs won't double as an ice pipe.

Poor Tate, all he wanted was a good mother. I can't wait to see how Misty handles Violate's relationship apart from her.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

nutranurse posted:

I mean, I don't blame you, she seems to fit that PWT demographic that normally uses meth. But Kyle's a good kid, and good kid's only do weed.

New thread title?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Not with that typo.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

nutranurse posted:

Not with that typo.

The real American horror is unnecessary apostrophes.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

smg77 posted:

The real American horror is unnecessary apostrophes.

My grandmother, bless her soul, would say (if someone has gorged themselves on pills and gotten wasted, as opposed to imbibing way too much alcohol) "He's been drinking that dope again!" That's an adorable native Acadian French speaker for you.
So, in essence, it should be Kyle smoked a weed.

uptown
May 16, 2009
Thoughts on this episode...

I loved Nan's "...and guys find me hot." So :3:

I can't stand FrankenTate. Someone mentioned that it sucks that Evan Peters hasn't spoken in two episodes, and I completely agree. Also, obviously the witches are used to supernatural weird poo poo happening, dumping Tate (what's his name? Kyle?) at his mother's door and loving off before making sure she wouldn't have killed him was unwise. She might have just been letting him in so that she could call a priest and burn him to death! And if I were IncestMom, I probably would have, you know, called the cops or a doctor to report that my son was still alive and probably brain damaged.

I find LaLaurie actually quite sympathetic. Yes, she was a horrible person before she was buried alive and still hasn't changed one bit, but Kathy Bates plays her so well. Her sadness about her kids being hung, her fear of Minotaur Man... I don't know. I just feel sorry for her even though she would probably chain me to a stove and whip me periodically for being darker skinned than she is. Also, "lieessssssssss."

uptown fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 27, 2013

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

uptown posted:

I find LaLaurie actually quite sympathetic. Yes, she was a horrible person before she was buried alive and still hasn't changed one bit, but Kathy Bates plays her so well. Her sadness about her kids being hung, her fear of Minotaur Man... I don't know. I just feel sorry for her even though she would probably chain me to a stove and whip me periodically for being darker skinned than she is. Also, "lieessssssssss."

I entirely forgot about LaLaurie. Man, I love the writers for fulfilling my fantasy of turning the tables on a racist slave-master. American Horror Story is the best show. :3:

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

nutranurse posted:

I entirely forgot about LaLaurie. Man, I love the writers for fulfilling my fantasy of turning the tables on a racist slave-master. American Horror Story is the best show. :3:

Oh yeah, I love when Fiona was just like "I voted for him[Obama], twice" and you could feel the disbelief from LaLaurie. Then she compounded it with the whole "There have been multiple black people in positions of power :smug:".
Though her whole "There's nothing I hate more than a racist" made me laugh a bit. I mean, it's definitely good and it keeps us from needing any sort of redemption or "Oh she's evil and racist too" elements, but it was just hilariously read.

Also, I really want Netflix to start carrying S2 before we get much further. I missed it all due to being out of the country and I'm not prepared to buy it despite hearing pretty much nothing but good things about it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
LaLaurie in tears of abject horror at Obama is like the entirety of Right America: Feeling Wronged condensed into one exquisite moment.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Postal Parcel posted:

Oh yeah, I love when Fiona was just like "I voted for him[Obama], twice" and you could feel the disbelief from LaLaurie. Then she compounded it with the whole "There have been multiple black people in positions of power :smug:".
Though her whole "There's nothing I hate more than a racist" made me laugh a bit. I mean, it's definitely good and it keeps us from needing any sort of redemption or "Oh she's evil and racist too" elements, but it was just hilariously read.

Y'know, I feel like that bit was out of place. The conversation between Fiona and Laveau in the salon was about forms of witchcraft, but there's obviously something troubling about a white woman talking down to a black woman about "hammers chasing nails." They haven't established the reason yet for why the Salem witches and the Voodoo practitioners hate each other so much, have they? Those interactions are very racially charged, I think.

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

Why do I love American Horror Story? Because "Murder Vagina" is a thing

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I could see the two witch groups having to unite against crazy fundamentalist Christians. It's already been depicted as a threat what with Misty being burned at the stakes, and the Christian family moving in next door will probably come to influence their lives somehow. Except for Nan and Shirtless falling in love, obviously :3:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I could see the two witch groups having to unite against crazy fundamentalist Christians. It's already been depicted as a threat what with Misty being burned at the stakes, and the Christian family moving in next door will probably come to influence their lives somehow. Except for Nan and Shirtless falling in love, obviously :3:

I thought they were being made out to be villains and it'd turn out the woman was actually a witch hunter or something, but by the end I'm convinced they were just what they claimed and got poo poo on so badly I ended up feeling kind of bad for them.

I'd be happy if their role in the series continues to be them being horribly offended only to get told a proverbial :fuckoff: every time.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

LaLaurie in tears of abject horror at Obama is like the entirety of Right America: Feeling Wronged condensed into one exquisite moment.

Kathy Bates is owning this season. She's hit just that right note where she can be perfectly vile, but then less smacked down and more.. laughed off, and the way she reacts to that. Every time she tries to make a big speech about her FAMILY NAME with arrogance only to get treated like the piece of poo poo she is just gold; really again more for the acting than the writing. She just looks so confused/lost/flabbergasted/offended/horrified every time.

That scene was the best though. "LIES!!"

Postal Parcel posted:

My guess for the finale is that (in true AHS fashion) all of them will die with the exception of Evan Peter's character who will literally become Satan after the final witch dies.

Did you see season 2? A shocking number of the cast survived that, even though I still think the finale was a let down for failing to deliver some of the promises the season made.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 27, 2013

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
On the Fleetwood Mac front, because I hope that continues to be a thing, I think "Gypsy" and "Gold Dust Woman" are shoe-ins, but I would love them to use "Silver Springs." The end would suit her anger really well, but it's not a popular song so I don't think it seems a likely pick.

AGirlWonder posted:

Y'know, I feel like that bit was out of place. The conversation between Fiona and Laveau in the salon was about forms of witchcraft, but there's obviously something troubling about a white woman talking down to a black woman about "hammers chasing nails." They haven't established the reason yet for why the Salem witches and the Voodoo practitioners hate each other so much, have they? Those interactions are very racially charged, I think.
I agree. I loved the exchange between Fiona and Delphine, but I think maybe the "I hate racists" line was meant to imply hypocrisy on Fiona's part? Or else they shoehorned it in without thinking of the racial tension in the salon scene. That scene definitely seemed to have a racial angle, especially with the juxtaposition of Fiona, a wealthy white woman, making comments like that to Marie Laveau, an immortal voodooienne who, despite her power and longevity, isn't living in good circumstances. I think it might be that Fiona doesn't think of herself as a racist, but she definitely has a racist tone in the salon.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Kathy Bates is owning this season. She's hit just that right note where she can be perfectly vile, but then less smacked down and more.. laughed off, and the way she reacts to that. Every time she tries to make a big speech about her FAMILY NAME with arrogance only to get treated like the piece of poo poo she is just gold; really again more for the acting than the writing. She just looks so confused/lost/flabbergasted/offended/horrified every time.

That scene was the best though. "LIES!!"
She is killing it. I love her in general and was so excited when she was cast, but the extreme sadism in the first episode followed by this general confusion and horror at the modern world and her own loss of power makes Delphine, at least for me, one of the highlights of the season. It takes chops to play a character like that, I think, and she's really showing them off.

uptown posted:

I can't stand FrankenTate. Someone mentioned that it sucks that Evan Peters hasn't spoken in two episodes, and I completely agree. Also, obviously the witches are used to supernatural weird poo poo happening, dumping Tate (what's his name? Kyle?) at his mother's door and loving off before making sure she wouldn't have killed him was unwise. She might have just been letting him in so that she could call a priest and burn him to death! And if I were IncestMom, I probably would have, you know, called the cops or a doctor to report that my son was still alive and probably brain damaged.
Zoe's kind of dumb right now. She seems really naive, and I think these things just honestly don't occur to her. And I think IncestMom, considering that she's been raping her son for God knows how long, doesn't really care. One of my friends pointed out that what struck her is IncestMom's focus on Kyle's body being what's different; she (my friend) said that she wondered if some of the emotional distress (like him sitting in silence and kind of rocking) is something she's actually seen him do even before he died. And her focus on his body makes it seem so much like she doesn't really care about him, despite believing she does.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well, poo poo. I just figured something out that I might actually be right. You know how at the house the boy was all into Addie instead of the "hotter" girl, and I personally chalked it up to him being all wholesome or something, which I think is how most people read it?

Well someone was rewatching this now and noticed she says earlier in the episode "I get it all the time, and the boys find me hot." In a very braggy moment.

... I don't think she can just read minds. Maybe I'm over thinking the way this came off, but knowing how this show goes, I am almost wanting to call it now that at some point we see a guy's POV and she looks entirely different to him.

Taliaquin posted:

Zoe's kind of dumb right now.

My problem with her is how unrealistic everything about how she is written is, pretty much.

"Oh hey honey, sorry we didn't tell you that you're a witch. Now these nice men in black will whisk you to Xavier's School of Hogwarts and explain to you there are witches and they can all do things, and you live there now."

From this point, as far as I can tell, she proceeds to.. mill around, go to a party, mill around some more, go to a morgue to sew body parts together and create a zombie... wait, what?

That's "dragged out of my house kicking and screaming away from my family" to "Sure, let's raise the dead" in 0-30 seconds. The other girls know they are witches and have been at this clearly far longer. But Zoe? Zoe's horribly written. There's nothing in her character that has even a shred of grounding to it. She sounds all calm and morose in her voice overs and we haven't seen her get upset about having her life ripped away to live at a school that doesn't teach anything, not once, and it just doesn't ring true.

Before anyone wants to say it'd be cliche to have her whine, or boring, then fine. Make her excited. Or interested. Or horribly guilty for killing her boyfriend. Or something. Not one of her actions seems to follow much reason or logic, given her character's arc - I think it'd been better if they implied she's been living there for a year or more before the story.

EDIT: It's been less than a month since she not only killed out her boyfriend and found out she's a witch with a murder vagina, but also that things like telekinesis and magic are real. Keep that in mind with most of her scenes and it's really goofy.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Oct 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Blazing Ownager posted:

From this point, as far as I can tell, she proceeds to.. mill around, go to a party, mill around some more, go to a morgue to sew body parts together and create a zombie... wait, what?

That's "dragged out of my house kicking and screaming away from my family" to "Sure, let's raise the dead" in 0-30 seconds. The other girls know they are witches and have been at this clearly far longer. But Zoe? Zoe's horribly written. There's nothing in her character that has even a shred of grounding to it. She sounds all calm and morose in her voice overs and we haven't seen her get upset about having her life ripped away to live at a school that doesn't teach anything, not once, and it just doesn't ring true.

I'm not sure why you picked that moment as "out of character". She didn't sew him together and it wasn't her idea to raise him from the dead, it was Madison's idea and Zoe protested most of the way.

The out of character moment was when she strolled into a hospital and raped the rapist to death.

• Locked thread