Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Update 3

After looking around Rosa's apartment last update, it's time to get moving on the actual story of the game.

:siren: Rosa's Theme :siren:

But first, let's catch up with Joey.

Uh huh.
I know I'm forgetting something.
Well maybe you should have written it down.
You know... I think I did.
Do you remember where?
No.
Well there you go.

So yes, in case you forgot from yesterday, the only "clue" we have about what to actually do is that Rosa is forgetting something.

Where do you think I wrote it down?
Wrote what down?
That... thing I'm forgetting. If I wrote it down, you must have seen me do it.
You're always writing stuff down, sweetheart. When you start scribbling away, I just tune out.

Rosa is insistent about this.

You sure you don't know what it is?
What am I, a calendar? Just forget it.

Joey gives us a subtle hint as to where it might be, which Rosa completely misses.

This is going to drive me CRAZY. What am I forgetting?
All your bills paid this month? Laundry done?
It's nothing like that. It's something important.

Looks like Rosa can add OCD to her list of mental hangups.

So what should we do now?
Do? Nothing. A ghost is saved. The day is done. Nothing else for us except to cool our heels and relax.

Joey attempts to change the subject.

Oh really?
Yeah. It has a lot more personality now. It used to look like you were only halfway trying.
Well I'm glad you approve.

This is a bit of a fun little dig from Gilbert at the background artist in the first game, who up and left a month before the game was due to ship, leaving the backgrounds mostly finished but lacking in detail.

It doesn't take long for Rosa to get back to her issues, though.

What are you pacing around for?
I KNOW there's something I'm supposed to do.
Well it can't have been that important, if you can't remember. Will you just relax?
It's on the tip of my tongue. It's driving me crazy.
If it was important, you'd remember. So just forget it.

Rosa is seriously going nuts here.

Where would you write something you need to remember? On the calendar of course, as Joey hinted early. But honestly, it doesn't seem like Joey really wants Rosa to remember whatever it is she has forgotten.

I... don't see anything. There's absolutely nothing written here.

Sorry, Joey. Let's get Rosa to look at it...

Oh... CRAP. What time is it? 7:15? Damnit. She's going to kill me.

Looks like Rosa got invited to a gallery visit with Nishanthi. Good to see Rosa is still keeping up with her :unsmith:

What's your problem?
The Gallery Opening! Don't you remember? She invited us to go.
Us?
All right, ME. But you're still coming.

As usual, Joey is not even remotely interested in doing anything that doesn't involve saving spooks, and throws a tantrum.

You really want to go to some stupid gallery?
We're going. I'm not flaking out on her again. It's not nice.
Fine. Whatever. Do what you like.
It's not like I have a choice.

Here comes the sulking from Joey.

I never knew you were such a fan of art.
I'm not.
Then why are you dead set on going to this thing?
I'm not flaking out on Nishanthi again.
Why not? You've done it before.
I know. And I don't feel good about it. Besides, you said it yourself.
We've got nothing else to do.
Nothing sounds pretty good to me.

Seriously, these two never stop bickering :3:

One problem - we don't know where the Park Gallery is.

Ah, no.
I have to find the address. We're already late.
You're resourceful, dear. You'll figure it out.

This little puzzle is just here to prompt us to learn how to use the Oogle search on Rosa's computer. Just in case you couldn't figure it out, the two immediately start talking about computers to clue you in.

I'm thinking of getting a new computer.
Oh, really.
Yeah. It's been kinda slow and clunky lately.
Well, you'd know more about slow and clunky than me.
Hmph.

Awesomely, Rosa has a portrait specifically for her to say "hmph" to. Seriously, that's the only line of dialogue that will ever accompany that portrait, but we'll see it a number of times :3:

Okay, let's look this up... the missing text on the image is:

The Park Gallery is excited to have its first public opening. Claude Urdin, a neighbourhood street artist, will be making his debut.

The Park Gallery is curated by Josie Park.

Stop dragging it out.

Glad to see you've accepted this, Joey! It's nice to see Rosa actually dictating the terms for a change, even if it means dragging Joey kicking and screaming the whole way.

Rosa quickly checks to see if Nishanthi is also running late...

Nishanthi isn't home. She's probably at the Gallery.

...but no dice. She's already at the Park Gallery.

Joey can also weigh in on Nishanthi:

That's Nishanthi Sharma's place. A bit too nosy for her own good, but she's okay.

We can ask Joey to head through the door, but he refuses.

I'm not floating through that door. Last time I did that, her dog nearly had a seizure.

Yes, I remember, Joey :unsmith: At least that's a happier memory than the time Rosa tried to DRUG THE DOG WITH DIURETICS.

Here is this game's "world map". Once again, Gilbert decided to go with a Manhattan skyline for his world map, similar to in Unbound. The icon on the top left is for Rosa's apartment.

:siren: The Park Gallery :siren:

Shh!

Rosa and Joey arrive at the Park Gallery. Joey lasts approximately three seconds before letting a sarcastic remark go. Next to Rosa is a bubbly young lady.

Hi! Are you here for the opening?
Yes-
Great! But I'm sorry, I think you came on the wrong night. The public opening's in two days. Tonight's a private showing.
Oh no, I'm with someone. Nishanthi Sharma. Is she here?
Really? Lemme check. Nish? Nish!

She seriously needs to call out to check? There's, like, five people here.

There's our kindly old neighbour. She's voiced by a different actress in this game, who at least tries to put on an Indian accent this time around, which makes sense considering she is only supposed to have moved to America in her teenage years.

Someone here says she knows you.
That must be Rosa. It's all right, Josie. She's with me.
OK, thanks! Sorry about that. You know how it is!
Sure.

When I described Josie as bubbly before, it was an understatement. She comes across as seriously hyperactive here. She's giggling and going high-pitched all over the place.

Anyway, I'm Josie Park, and this is The Park Gallery.
Man, she's clever. I bet she came up with that all by herself.
Go on in. Have fun! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

This "private showing" has literally four people at it, not counting Rosa and Joey. Josie Park is the curator, and I'm guessing beard dude there is Claude Urdin, the artist mentioned on the webpage announcement. That leaves Nishanthi and her friend there as the only other people here.

Too bad.

Rosa and Joey look at one another.

She's just standing there, looking awkward and ill-at-ease. Totally normal, in other words.

Rosa decides to be cultured, and checks out the various paintings.

From a certain angle, it looks like a street corner.
These paintings look like part of a set.
It looks pretty abstract.
It looks impressionistic, whatever it is.
Really bold lines. This would look great in my bedroom.
These look like impressionist skyscrapers. Not bad, actually.

Let's be honest, Rosa. The paintings suck. Joey concurs:

Do people really pay to look at this stuff?
They call this art these days?
What an eyesore.
I know what I like, and I don't like this.
I don't know much about art, but I know this is crap.

On a prominent wall, there is a painting that looks very different to the rest of them. Let's get Joey over here...

I can't put my finger on why.

"The Dark Lady"? It's a painting of a creepy old woman? This is all starting to sound very familiar.

Let's play around with Joey a bit. He now has the ability to breathe his magic breath on various people and give them chills :3:

Feel what?
That draft. I'll have to get the super to look into that.

He won't do it to everyone, but he will to some people. He can also blow on Nishanthi:

Are you okay?
Just a chill. I always get them when it rains.

Well, let's hobnob while we're here.

Yep! That's me. And you are?
Rosangela Blackwell.
Rosangela? What a neat name! Anyway, nice to meet you.

Josie is like the artsy girl who always seems way too interested in everything going on around her, yet isn't actually paying any attention at all.

So are you Josie Park as in the "Park Gallery?"
Yep. This place is mine. We just opened. Well, technically we open in two days, but it's my gallery. If I say we're open, then poof! We're open!
Ooh, watch out. She's so sharp she might cut herself.

Yeah, interesting's the word.

Hahaha. I will never, ever get tired of Joey cutting into conversations with sarcasm where all but one participant can't even hear him :3:

You like them?
Sure.
Did you hear that, Claude?
Yeah.
He's convinced that nobody will understand his work.

Claude is a snobby artist prick, apparently.

Oh, you. Pay no attention.
So you're a friend of Nishanthi's?
Oh, Nish? Isn't she marvelous? She comes to all the art events. That's how I know her.

Between walking her dog, playing her bansuri, and attending art events, Nishanthi has a fairly active social life.

An awkward, greasy artist sounds just like Rosa's type. Let's chat him up!

Yeah.
This is Claude Urdin. My discovery.
Some discovery. I've been painting on your street corner for eight years.
Yes, and I've seen you improve. When I got the funding to open this gallery, I knew Claude would be my break-out artist. We're having the public opening in two days. You should come.
Don't count on it lady.

He was drawing these lovely abstract paintings on the street? How the hell did this place ever get off the ground?

Well, I'm going to look around some more.
Sure. Have fun.

Time to chat with Nishanthi!

Don't worry about it. How'd you find the place?
The internet.
Oh, of course. I should really try using it one of these days.

Rosa decides one apology isn't enough.

I know I've been kind of flakey lately...
Oh, don't worry about that. No need to stress on my account. Besides, you look exhausted. Are you all right?
I'm fine.
All right. If you say so.

Let's see who this rather overdressed lady is...

I'm sorry, that was rude of me. This is Monique Stahlman. Monique, this is my neighbor Rosa. The one I was telling you about.
You were talking about me?

Oh geez, what has she been saying about us?

She was just telling me that she had a famous writer for a neighbor.
Famous? I'm hardly famous. I haven't had anything published yet.

Hahaha, "famous writer". Maybe Rosa should have brought along all of her rejection letters :3: Nishanthi seems genuinely impressed with Rosa, though.

She writes ghost stories, Monique.
Nish, please.
Go on, tell her.
It's hardly the time or place.

Rosa can tell there is a story here.

Oh, Monique here has a fascinating ghost story to tell.
I wouldn't call it fascinating, per se.
Please, it sends shivers down my spine. Wait until you hear it. It's about Frank Lyons.
Frank Lyons? The actor?
Nish, please.
Sorry, Monique. Just getting carried away.

A ghost story, hey? It's a long shot, but perhaps this "ghost story" might actually lead to a case.

See? I told you.
Well, all right. But let's not talk about it here. Here's my card. If you want to talk, drop by my office tomorrow. We can discuss it in private.
Thanks, I'll drop by.

Well, well, a potential lead. It might not go anywhere, but at least we got something out of coming to this lovely gallery.

Thanks for inviting me.
I'm glad you could make it. For a while, I was worried that I'd be here all by myself. But Monique was interesting company.
So how are you doing?
Oh, you know. Same old thing. Practicing my flute. Walking the dog. Trying to get out more. Although this weather isn't making it easy.
I think I'll browse around.
Sure Rosa, enjoy yourself.

To be honest, I think we're done here.

Rosa attempts to sneak out, but Nishanthi isn't having any of that.

We were just about to get started on the wine. Why don't you join us?
Well...
Please stay. We hardly see enough of each other, as it is.

We have a choice here, which actually does have an impact on the rest of the game, though only in a couple of dialogue choices. For now, let's see what happens if Rosa leaves.

No, I'd better go.
THANK you.
You sure?
Yeah. I'm kind of tired, but thanks anyway.
You do look worn out. All right. Go home and rest. Try not to work so hard, okay? Life's too short.
Yeah, tell me about it.

With that, Rosa heads home to sleep, and the sun sets. The music fades out at this point. As darkness envelopes the city, we hear muffled whispering, but it's impossible to make out any words.

What happened? How'd I get here?

Rosa finds herself in Nodespace as the stale hiss of blowing wind fills her ears.

With nothing to do here, Rosa attempts to leave, but a ghostly figure materialises behind her.

What? Who are you?
Someone who has been here for far too long.
I... don't understand.
It does not matter. We will meet again soon.

Rosa collapses to the ground, seemingly exhausted.

Your time will come soon.

The ghost vanishes away, with a final ominous comment for us. That was strange. She seemed to know us, whoever she was.

Good morning.
It's a bright new day, and we've got a brand new ghost to nab.
Yeah, I know.
Tick tock, doll. Let's get moving.

And with that odd little dream sequence, a new day starts.

Now, that's the way things go down if Rosa decides to leave the Park Gallery early.

Wonderful!
Fantastic.

If she chooses to stay, however, things turn out slightly differently.

Pour more of that wine and let's get it started.
*sigh*

Rosa enters her dream sequence with a hangover and looks sick the whole time...

...and our ghost is less than impressed with Rosa. "The duty?" I guess she knows something about all of this medium stuff.

The rest of the conversation with her is the same...

...but Rosa wakes up feeling awful.

Yeuch.
Enjoyed the free booze a little too much, hm?
Bleg.
Clear the cobwebs, kid. We've got work to do.
Yeah, I know.

Depending on whether Rosa stayed behind or not, the characters who were present at the Park Gallery opening will actually react differently to Rosa throughout the game, though it's all just flavour. In the next game, it is revealed that Rosa staying behind and drinking herself stupid is the canon choice, so we'll go with that from now on.

Tomorrow, we'll get started investigating this ghost story, and see if we can figure out what the deal was with that lady ghost chilling around in Rosa's Nodespace. Join me then!

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Honestly, I imagine most mediums turn to drinking sooner or later. Y'know, the ones who don't go crazy that is.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I can understand why going to a party or something like that while you know there's a little frightened ghost girl around, but it's not like Rosangela had a case is wrong, aside from that lead, and the spooky woman doesn't condescend you for not following up on it as soon as possible. Man, what unfair conditions.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 26, 2013

Assoonasitits
Dec 11, 2007

I guess frogout is too polite to simply say "begone".
Joey probably hates going out and about because nobody can see him. Probably sucks to be around people who have no clue you're there, who can't interact with you, and who tend to walk right through you on occasion.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
And I guess even worse than that, the one person who can see you isn't able to talk with you.

Still, seems a bit unreasonable. He must know that getting Rosa to go out to social events is a good way to let her blow off steam, so she doesn't decide to pull a Lauren and just give up on ghostsaving altogether.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
He did encourage her to go to that bar.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

WickedHate posted:

He did encourage her to go to that bar.

Yeah, after seeing how she went last time around a glass of alcohol, I can see why he might want to avoid her being within fifty feet of one from now on!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Joey doesn't really strike me as the "DUTY OR SLEEP" type, I'd think if they were truly done for the day he'd want to do SOMETHING to keep himself interested.

Maybe after Lauren went 'round the bend he decided to get SERIOUSLY dedicated to the ghost saving biz, in hopes of saving the other mediums? Or maybe he can't move on unless a medium succeeds at... whatever?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Bacter posted:

Or maybe he can't move on unless a medium succeeds at... whatever?

"What are you writing about this time?"

"... A story."

"Story about what?"

"A story about none-of-your business."

"Is it that one 50 Shades affair, about the bra-burner dame, who's gone all lovey-dovey over a hunky fella with the awfully large packag-?"

"Yes."

"..."

"..."

"I think... you should publish it."

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

EagerSleeper posted:

"..."

"..."

"I think... you should publish it."

"I'll just... proofread it over your shoulder."

"..."

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
We don't mention the creepy painting to the artist, even though it doesn't look like his usual work?

I suppose one nebulous lead is enough.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Glazius posted:

We don't mention the creepy painting to the artist, even though it doesn't look like his usual work?

I suppose one nebulous lead is enough.

He's not really keen to talk it seems. Actually, dialogue works a bit strange during that scene. Talking to either Claude or Josie fires up the same dialogue. Technically the dialogue is with both of them, except Claude only has a couple of lines.

The same thing happens with Nishanthi and Monique. As far as I can remember, it's the only time in the game it works like that.

Next update coming soon!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Update 4

Let's join Rosa as she struggles, bleary-eyed, to recover from her binge-induced hangover!

Once Joey finishes rubbing it in, of course.

I've never seen anyone get hammered that fast. You've got the alcohol tolerance of a gnat. A baby gnat.
Are you done?
I think so.
Good.

Joey is lying though, he's not done at all.

What got into you, anyway?
I just felt uncomfortable. I thought it would relax me. They all seemed so sophisticated.
Don't envy that crowd, kid. It's all phoney, anyway.

Calling it a "crowd" is being a bit generous, Joey...

Rosa is still concerned, but Joey isn't going to allay her fears.

Wouldn't you like to know.
You're not going to tell me, are you?
And ruin the suspense? No way.

Finally, Rosa moves on.

We might as well talk to that lady we met last night.
Yeah yeah. Monique something. She had a ghost story to tell.
Who knows? It might lead somewhere.

As is common in these games, the first step is to figure out where she is.

How do we find her?
Didn't she give you a business card?
Oh yeah. She did.
well it's not magic. Just check for the address on there.

Time for Rosa to be smug instead of Joey, for a change! :3:

Hm?
You didn't want to go, but we ended up getting a case.
Ended up getting hammered, is more like it. Don't look so smug, kid. Things like this will happen all the time.

While we're here in the apartment, let's look up this Frank Lyons guy. Monique mentioned the ghost story was about him.

Bingo. Apparently he's dead, which I guess makes sense if Monique has a ghost story about him. The article goes on to read:

Lyons leaves behind no family. His last film, "Water Under The Bridge" (Cubestar Films), is due to be released this Spring.

Lyons' last film was shot by Cubestar films, hey?

It just so turns out that Monique is the executive producer of Cubestar Films.

:siren: The Park Gallery :siren:

Before we head over to see Monique, let's check out the Park Gallery again. Josie is busy getting things set up for the public opening.

Hi.
You got home okay? I think Nish had to half-carry you out of here.

Hahaha, oh man. Rosa is a seriously cheap drunk :allears: If Rosa had chosen to leave early instead, Josie is surprised to see her again.

But that's boring, so we'll stick with cheap drunk Rosa :3:

Was I that bad?
Well, I originally thought I had bought too much wine. But it turns out I didn't have to worry, so thanks!
Hah.
Uh, sure. No problem.

Josie is absolutely saccharine-sweet in a backhanded kind of way.

Anyway, I have to go over some stuff. Feel free to look around.

Screw that, Rosa wants to talk.

Hm. I'm kinda swamped, but OK.
So how's everything going?
Oh, you know. Busy busy. This is my first public opening. I want it to be just right.

Rosa can also ask after Claude, the artist. We probably will need to follow up with him eventually to figure out what the deal is with that Dark Lady painting.

Tell me about Claude.
Oh, I found him on the street. Literally. He made his living painting street scenes and selling them to tourists. But he's too much of a genius for that. Don't you think so?
Oh yes. Definitely.
See? I knew he was the right choice for this gallery.

What kind of tourist buys abstract paintings from a street vendor??

Oh, I can't reveal the prices until the public exhibit. But if you're interested in any of them, let me know. I'll discount it for you.
Oh, no thanks. I'm not really in the market for any art right now.
Translation? She can't afford it.
Oh. All right. If you change your mind, let me know.

As far as I can tell, Rosa actually does like the paintings, though God only knows why. I guess she figures they would complement her lava lamp.

How long have you been in business?
Not long. Just a few days, now. This loft opened up and I just nabbed it. Real estate in this neighborhood is harder to get than you'd think.

Let's check up on Monique, as well.

She's a nice lady! Although I don't think she'll be back. She didn't seem to really appreciate Claude's work.
I'm sorry.
No worries. It's not everybody's cup of tea!

I love how Rosa apologises on behalf of Monique :3:

Joey entertains himself by blowing on Josie again. Oh, you scamp, Joey!!

:siren: Monique's Theme :siren:

Okay, let's go speak with Monique, who has a pretty swank office.

Oh. Hello. You're Nishanthi's friend, aren't you? The writer.
Yeah. That's me.
I almost didn't recognize you standing upright.
Heh. Right. I don't usually drink that much.
Well. We all make mistakes.

Hahahaha, it only takes one crazy night to earn a reputation it seems :3:

Rosa does her usual act of entering someone's room, and then poking around while they patiently wait for her to speak to them. Good old Adventure Game Logic!

Nice view from up here.
Please don't close the window. There's a reason why it's open.

It's a bit hard to see, but there is a cat sitting out on the window sill. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with my cat sitting on the outside of a window on a high-rise building :ohdear:

And he's not looking at her face.

Apparently Joey is pretty hot on Monique.

Joey isn't talking about the view out the window here. Does it count as creepy if an invisible ghost is ogling an unwitting lady?

Okay, I think it definitely does.

Ah, the quivering of her back means that I did good.

Hahaha, you're shameless Joey. Rosa just kind of glares at him the whole time.

Although I prefer the view from THIS angle.

Even if you ask Joey to look out the window, he'll literally turn around and stare at Monique instead.

Let's actually speak with Monique.

I'm the executive producer. In a nutshell, I make sure everything gets done, on time, and under budget.
She whips everyone into shape, huh? I like her.

Oh Joey, all it took was twenty five years of watching Lauren drool and you moved right on, I see.

So, you have a ghost story? Is that right?
Oh. Yes. It's really nothing. Kind of embarrassing, really.
Nishanthi said it had to do with Frank Lyons.
Yes. It was all over the news. You know what happened.

Let's say we don't know.

I know he died, but that's all I know.
Yes, he's dead. I saw him die. He died while filming his last scene. It was tragic and all, but in the end we had to finish the movie. We found a look-alike to complete the scene and then released it. That should have been the end of it... but the film was a smash hit.
Really? It was that good?
No it wasn't. People only turned up because a man's death was attached to it. For years we tried to create a moneymaker, and this is how we did it. Be careful what you wish for, Rosangela. That's all I'll say.

Wait, is that the whole ghost story? A trite little idiom?

Next? I hear him.

Oh, good. There is actually more to this.

You hear him?
Over in Central Park? Near the Gothic Bridge? It's where he died. I pass the area every morning, when I go jogging. I can swear I hear him. Calling me.
Really.
It's like he's... well, it's probably just my own guilty conscience. We profited from his death, there's no denying that. But what could we do? Give the money to charity? We have investors to pay back. Anyway, that's my ghost story. Take it or leave it.
I say we take it. We haven't been to the park in awhile.

That does sound like as good a lead as any. If an actor died without finishing the final scene, it's quite plausible he feels like he has unfinished business and is sticking around.

Last of all, Rosa asks about the cat.

I saw a cat on the window ledge outside.
Oh, her? She belonged to Frank. The company asked me to take care of her.

That's... really weird. Why would you expect the executive producer of his company to adopt his cat? Unless the company literally gave him the cat to begin with. I'd be creeped out by looking after the cat of someone who died while working for me. I also probably wouldn't leave it sitting outside on what is almost certainly the top floor of the building.

Thanks for the chat, Monique.
Sure.

Our world map is starting to get a bit filled out. Let's see if we can find a ghost over at Central Park!

:siren: The Gothic Bridge :siren:

Well. That was easy. A ghost, presumably that of Frank Lyons, is just hovering around next to the main path. We could probably have found this guy by just going for a walk. He seems to be reciting lines.

Joey, that's Frank Lyons!
Is he now? It's so rare that we know the spook's name in advance. Saves so much time.

That's actually a good point. Other than The Deacon, we haven't known any ghost's name in advance so far. And we know his profession, his colleagues, even his cat. Chances are details about him are all over the news, too. This should be easy.

What should I say to him?
Say? He's a spook, like any other.
But, you know, he was in show biz. How do you talk to people like that?

I love the way Rosa gets all bashful about talking to a famous ghost :3:

Just act naturally, sweetheart.
Natural.
You know, nervous. That's natural for you.
Hmph.

There's that hmph portrait again!

Rosa summons up her courage...

Atta girl. Maybe, one of these days, you'll talk to a guy who is actually breathing.
Hmph.

...only to get knocked back down a peg by Joey. It's kind of odd that he seems to want her to socialise with other people, given how things went with Lauren.

Joey, meanwhile, has his mind elsewhere.

Oh really.
Oh yes. We should get back to her office and examine her very closely.
Examine her, huh?

Hahahahahaha.

Or better yet, you stay out in the hall. I'll go in and, ah, poke around.
I don't think so. Did you really have to start at Monique like that?
What's your problem? It's not like she can see me.
It's unprofessional, that's all.
You're just jealous.

Let's speak with this dude.

Um, hi there?

Frank floats over dramatically...

I knew you'd come.
Are you Frank Lyons?
Um... Oh, ha ha. Very funny. Let's get back on track, huh? *ahem*
I knew you'd come.

Pretty clear that Frank thinks he's acting in a scene here, though it takes Rosa a while to cotton on.

You did?
Yes, I did... wait.
No, that's not right.
What's not right?
Nevermind. We can do it again. *ahem*
I knew you'd come.

Frank having an "acting" face portrait and a normal portrait is a nice subtle little touch. One that is completely lost on Rosa.

Ah... no. No, that's not right either.
What are you talking about?
Look, don't worry about it. We can do it again, right?
Do what again?
Okay. One more time. *ahem*
I knew you'd come.

This is going to be harder than I thought...

Join me again tomorrow as we attempt to unravel the mystery of Frank Lyons' post-mortem acting!

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 27, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Well, if the cat falls off, it'll land on it's feet. :D

I'm guessing he's trying to play his part in the movie, and Rosangela will have to read the script/watch the movie or something to act the scene out with him.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 27, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't think you need to spoiler that, it's pretty obvious that this is exactly what he's doing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't think you need to spoiler that, it's pretty obvious that this is exactly what he's doing.

Ah, alright, I wasn't sure.

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

It is actually possible to respond with the correct, well, response to him, and what happens is, after the 3rd line, HE ends up getting it wrong.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Please tell me his voice acting while he's doing his lines is 'chewing the scenery' bad. Or 'community college Shakespeare' bad.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Geomancing posted:

Please tell me his voice acting while he's doing his lines is 'chewing the scenery' bad. Or 'community college Shakespeare' bad.

I'm afraid not, though that would have been hilarious :xd: He seems be a fairly competent actor, which I guess makes sense for a guy playing the lead role in a fully-funded film.

Mind you, after repeating the same scene to himself for months on end, you'd hope he would have it down pat by now!

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Geomancing posted:

"YOU'RE TEARING ME APART, ROSANGELA!"

"No, Frank. It's you. You are the ghost."

And then, Frank was a ghost.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

So, seeing as this is New York, why don't we see just hundreds and hundreds of ghosts everywhere? Surely there should be at least a couple dozen in view at all times, it being such a big city with a long history!

Incidentally, I'm fine if the answer is "because that would make for a bad game", I just wondered if there was an in-universe explanation.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Bacter posted:

So, seeing as this is New York, why don't we see just hundreds and hundreds of ghosts everywhere? Surely there should be at least a couple dozen in view at all times, it being such a big city with a long history!

Incidentally, I'm fine if the answer is "because that would make for a bad game", I just wondered if there was an in-universe explanation.
It's probably for plot expedience. But, the idea of a city just jam-packed with ghosts who never quite caught on sounds amazing.

Imagine the accumulated crazy homeless people ghosts, gathering in ranting, cursing knots at every street intersection.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I suppose it's possible that most ghosts are easily dealt with, and Joey/Rosa just went on a big ghost-saving party for the first six months and have only now started to hit a dry spell.

But no, I guess the idea is that ghosts are extremely rare and only arise in exceptional circumstances.

It's never really addressed in-game, though I think Rosa and Joey do speak a little about it in a nursing home at one point in the next game, where Joey concludes that most people who die there have already done all the living they're going to do and don't feel like they're leaving anything behind.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Update 5

Following the lead given to them by Monique, Rosa and Joey find the ghost of deceased actor Frank Lyons, seemingly stuck performing his final scene.

Rosa is still trying to chat with Frank...

Huh? Oh, come ON. That's not even close.
Listen, I have to tell you something.
No, no. That comes later. Try and concentrate, will ya?

...but trying to talk to him normally just doesn't work - he keeps interrupting and returning back to his lines. Looks like the only thing to do is to try going along with the act.

I know you, Yvonne. Perhaps too well.
Yvonne? Who's Yvonne?

Unfortunately, Rosa is kind of hopeless with it :doh:

Um, YOU are? *sigh*
Never mind. We'll talk later.
Yeah. I think you need to practice some more.

This isn't working at all. Let's give Joey a spin instead.

Hello?
Oh, hey. You with the company?
Company?
Oh. I guess you're not. They told me to meet 'em out here. I guess they're late.

This is different. I guess Frank thinks Rosa is an actress because there is a lady in the scene, but he just assumes that Joey is a stagehand or a fan or something. He should hopefully be a little bit easier to talk to with Joey.

Are you Frank Lyons?
You recognise me?
Sure.
That's... thank you. That means a lot.
Hey, I live to please. Sort of.

I guess that's a confirmation, not that we really needed it since Rosa recognised him immediately.

Oh, you know. Just waiting to finish up. Just one scene to go and I'm done. Finally.
Done is the word, yeah.
Hm?
Never mind.

You can always rely on Joey for a morbid joke! :3:

So, we're on a movie set?
Yep. The film is called "Water Under the Bridge."
Really.
Yeah. Actually, I'm probably not supposed to tell you that, but we're hardly Paramount Pictures or anything. Just don't tell anyone, okay?
Oh. Lips are sealed.

Water Under The Bridge is the film Monique mentioned, and Frank says he's doing the last scene. So that confirms our suspicion that Frank is constantly reliving the one scene he didn't finish filming before dying.

Joey tries his usual trick of snapping ghosts back to their senses by trying to demonstration a logical disconnection.

Yeah.
Where are all the lights? Equipment? Cameras?
You know, I'm not sure. They should be on their way. I don't know what's keeping them.

Interestingly, Frank is a little different to the ghosts in Unbound. Isaac thought he was in Johnny Ivory's, and Mavis thought she was still in her apartment. I guess when a ghost can come up with a logical reason for not seeing something they should, they will, and if not they'll just imagine it's there. Going all the way back to Alli, she just convinced herself that she was in a dark, lonely park because the Deacon had chased everyone away from her.

Of course, whenever Rosa speaks to Frank he seems to think the cameras are on, so a ghost's handle on reality is obviously situational.

Could you tell me the last thing you remember?
What do you mean? I've just been hanging out here.
And before that?
I was.... hm. Funny thing.

"Funny thing"? Joey pushes the point

Yes?

Suddenly, Frank's facial expression and vocal inflection completely change.

The Minetta?
YEAH. I WAS THERE. I'M ALWAYS THERE.

What the hell is this?

Just what is the Minetta?
Minetta...?

Just as suddenly, Frank is back to normal, and seemingly has no idea what the Minetta is, or why Joey is asking about it.

Yeah. What is it?
THE MINETTA. I'M FAMOUS THERE, YOU KNOW.

And then switches straight back again. Great. A schizophrenic ghost. This could get messy.

YOU CAN ALWAYS FIND A WILLING EAR THERE, AND SOME DONATIONS FOR THE FUND.
The fund? What fund?
YES... THEY ARE VERY KIND.
Why are you talking like that?
Talking like what?
Like you... oh, never mind.

Joey changes the subject.

Ms. Stahlman? She's a good lady. I just wonder where she is.
You expecting her?
Yeah. We can't start without the executive producer, can we? I could swear I saw her run by a couple of times, but why wouldn't she stop?

I guess that was when Monique thought she heard Frank's voice. Next up, Joey tries the direct approach, which works about as well as usual.

Listen, Frank. You seem like a swell guy, but I have to be honest. You're dead.
What?
I mean it. You've been haunting this area for months now.
Hah. Very funny. My career might have one foot in the grave, but it's not dead YET. My ship will come in. You'll see.

I wonder if that ever works, actually. Perhaps in the the majority of cases the ghost just says "Oh. You're right!" and they move on, but we only see the difficult ones in these games?

So tell me about yourself, Frank.
Oh, I'm just an actor. I just walk and talk the way they want me to.
Oh, come on. There's got to be more to you than that.
I don't really need anything else. I'm not in the magazines, but I think I'm OK with that. I just want to finish what I start.

I'm afraid it won't work out that way, Frank :smith:

Well, see you around.
Yeah, bye.

Joey has cottoned on to Frank's schizophrenia.

You mean multiple-personality disorder.
Yeah. You think he's one of those?
Could be. It would explain a lot.
Two spooks for the price of one. Fantastic.

Haha :unsmith: Rosa is also feeling let-down about her own awkward conversation with Frank.

Talking to Lyons was... different than I expected.
He's a dead guy. What did you expect, scintillating conversation?
I just wondered... well, nevermind.

Joey tries to comfort her a bit.

A spook's a spook. They don't think like living people do. They're strange.
Does that include you?

Thank heaven for that.

Beautiful :3: Rosa quickly gets over her disappointing conversation with Frank.

I know he's dead and all, but this is kind of cool. I've never met anyone famous before.
Just don't ask him for an autograph.

Joey and Rosa chat briefly to figure out what to do next.

Figures. We finally go to the park and the weather is miserable.
At least there's nobody around.
Minetta. I wonder what it could be. Do you have a phone book?
Phone book? Who uses a phone book anymore?
Sorry I asked.

We'll have to follow up with this Minetta place.

So who is Frank Lyons anyway? I'm afraid I'm not up-to-date on pop culture.
He's a movie actor.
Big?
Not really. I don't think he would have been as famous if it weren't for the news reports.
Fame after death, huh? Lucky guy.

Let's give this one more go.

How did you know I'd come?
I know you Yvonne. Perhaps too well.
Listen, I have to tell you something.
Come on. The boat's going to leave any minute.
Boat? What boat?
What boat? Come ON. Let's just do this and get outta here.

This is as far as we can get for now - Rosa can't think of any dialogue options to get her past this stage yet. Hopefully something will clue her in at the Minetta.

Let's just look this place up...

There it is! Time to pay us a visit.

:siren: The Minetta :siren:

The Minetta is an actual tavern in New York. In fact, Gilbert wrote most of the story and much of the dialogue in the Blackwell games there, and really wanted to include it in one of his games.

Ironically, he went to great pains to ensure the artistic rendition of the bar was as accurate as possible... and then, shortly before Convergence was released, the Minetta underwent renovations and no longer actually looks like this, though the bar itself is still pretty much unchanged.

Rosa, meanwhile, has been working on her next awkward joke!

So a ghost walks into a bar...
Don't. Just don't.

I love you, Rosa :allears:

This portrait seems to stand out among the rest...

It's a portrait of an old man.

...but Rosa isn't really interested in it. Never mind.

Nobody else is here, so Rosa chats to the bartender.

Afternoon. What can I get for you?
Oh, no. I'm not here to drink.
Not YET, anyway.

Hahaha, Joey is still riding Rosa about her wild night :3:

I was hoping you could answer some questions for me.
Really?
Yeah. Is that a problem?
Oh no. It's just that this has never happened to me before. You always see bartenders being questioned in the movies, but it never actually HAPPENS. You a detective?
Something like that.
Cool. How can I help?

The bartender looks like a pretty hip dude, which completely clashes with the dorky voice provided by Gilbert. Unfortunately his voice is so distinctive that you start noticing it every time he plays a role.

Frank tols us he was at the Minetta all the time, so maybe this bartender knows something about him?

Frank Lyons? The actor? Didn't he die a few months ago?
Yeah. He did. I think he might have come here before he died.
Hm. Well, we get all sorts in here, but I don't think we've ever seen him.

Oh. Maybe he just kept to himself?

What can you tell me about this place?
The Minetta? Been here forever. Sixty or seventy years at least. I've only been here a few weeks myself. I don't know much of the history.

Ahh. He's only been here a few weeks. That would explain why he never saw Frank, though I don't know why he didn't just tell us that before.

Joey is reasonably impressed with the bartender, or at least, as much as Joey ever is. Unfortunately, he's got nothing else for us, so for the moment at least, the Minetta is a dead end.

Okay, we didn't learn anything from the Minetta, but perhaps Monique knows something about Frank?

Frank? He was a solid actor. Not A-list material, but dependable. He could read his lines and hit his marks and looked good on camera. He didn't demand much, and he was easy to work with. We set him up with an apartment nearby, and that was all he needed. That reminds me, we still haven't moved his stuff out. I'll have to get on that.

His stuff is still around? We might be able to get something useful from that. And we know much Joey loves encouraging Rosa to break and enter!

Anything else you can tell me about Frank?
Like I said, he was the dependable type. He was always willing to work with us, and he worked pretty cheap. I think he was waiting for his next break.
He got one, all right.
You really rented him an apartment? That's very generous.
Not really. The company owns it, and it's rent-controlled. We couldn't pay him much, so it was the least we could do.

Presumably Monique knows the adress. Rosa figures she might as well ask.

Of Frank's old apartment? Why?
I just wanted to look around.
I ask again. Why?
Research.

Hahaha, "research" :xd: "Definitely not to steal his poo poo, or anything like that!"

You're very dedicated, but I'm afraid the answer is no. I'd like to give Frank some bit of dignity.
Thanks for the chat, Monique.
Sure.

Well, it's not much, but we have something to go on. Tomorrow, we'll see if we can figure out what's going on with Frank Lyons!

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 27, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Wow, the art for that bar is really lovely.

Tupperwarez posted:

Imagine the accumulated crazy homeless people ghosts, gathering in ranting, cursing knots at every street intersection.

They would need Shade the Changing Man!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Tupperwarez posted:

Sounds like it would drive a medium.... mad?!

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
I dunno whether I should even mention this, but this is actually a "problem" you see in researching ghosts: You'd think, considering the volume of people nowadays, that you couldn't move for ghosts of the dearly departed, but this does not, in fact, appear to be the case. Nobody knows why, and anyone who says they do is a god-drat liar.

But in any case, if I remember, the VA for Frank Lyons isn't all that bad, but is slightly hammy... After all, the guy was a B-Lister all his life, the poor dab. As to the game itself, while I loved the graphical improvements, the story gets a bit... weird, and I wasn't entirely sure I liked it. But the stuff Gilbert uses for material in this game is fascinating, and he really deserves heavy kudos for his research here.

Also, WickedHate is wrong: Only Shadowman can deal with the vast majority of the dead here! Shame he's too busy elsewhere.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

There is, of course, another explanation for where all the ghosts went.

I don't know if anybody's played this (fantastic, awful) game, but in SOME continuities,New York is ABSOLUTELY not a place you want to be.

Of course, this wouldn't really explain Joey, or, for instance, why Rosa and Lauren aren't already insane, but the ghosts COULD all be in Stygia!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

JamieTheD posted:

I dunno whether I should even mention this, but this is actually a "problem" you see in researching ghosts: You'd think, considering the volume of people nowadays, that you couldn't move for ghosts of the dearly departed, but this does not, in fact, appear to be the case. Nobody knows why, and anyone who says they do is a god-drat liar.

Not if remaining as a ghost is a very rare event.

Take the math of this game - Per Google, there are about 150 deaths per day in New York City. If only one person in a thousand "stays around", that totals up to about one ghost per week. Since it's fairly clear that there are days where there aren't any real cases, that doesn't seem unreasonable.

You could also make the argument that even if there are tons of ghosts, the only ghosts who people notice are the ones that cause issues. The ghosts who aren't knocking over lamps or making objects move (or playing jazz music at 3 am on a dock) just don't have any impact on the living. The ghost whose "haunting" consists of quietly watching TV at the sports bar? He's just as welcome to watch the game as we living fans are.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wonder if he's picked up another, weaker, ghost.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Presumably any large city without a resident medium would just be jam-packed with ghosts, though.

I'll get the next update up fairly soon!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Update 6

So last time Frank told us that he spent a lot of time in The Minetta. However, if he did, the bartender didn't know about it. Let's follow up with him.

They never heard of you.
Why would they?
You said you went there all the time.
I've never heard of the place.

Oh geez, here we go again.

You told me you were famous there.
Famous?
Yeah. Famous at the Minetta.
THE MINETTA? I GO THERE ALL THE TIME! IT'S LIKE MY SECOND HOME.

There we go, he's in his Minetta mode now.

But you just said-
SAY, COULD YOU SPARE SOME MONEY FOR THE JOE GOULD FUND?
Joe Gould Fund? What's that?
What's what?
The Joe Gould Fund.
I have no idea.
But you just... oh, never mind.

Well, that didn't last long.

At least we got something new out of him this time. The "Joe Gould" fund, whatever that is. Joey decides to give this one more attempt.

Let's try this again. I went to the Minetta.
Minetta? I've never heard of it. What is it?
A tavern, over on Macdougal?
OH YES! I'M WELL KNOWN THERE!

Joey is starting to get sick of the runaround here.

Okay, fine. But - listen careful to me now - they've never heard of you.
Why would they? I've never been there.
For crying out loud!

Joey screams this line out. He's absolutely frustrated by this whole scene :3:

Hey, what did I say?
Nothing, just...
SAY, CAN YOU TALK TO SEAGULLS?
What? No I cannot talk to seagulls!
I CAN. IT'S A BEAUTIFUL LANGUAGE.

Hahaha, Jesus Christ. Joey fumes for a second before angrily retorting:

Congratulations. For once, I'm totally speechless.

Frustrated Joey is the best Joey :allears: Let's see if we can figure out what this Joe Gould Fund thing is.

Could you tell me what the Joe Gould Fund is?
WHY, YOU WANT TO DONATE A COUPLE OF DOLLARS?
I would, if you could tell me what it was for.
FOR THE UPKEEP AND MAINTENANCE OF JOE GOULDS EVERYWHERE, OF COURSE.
Any Joe Gould in particular?
Who is Joe Gould?
You know what? Never mind. I'm getting a headache talking to you.

This just isn't working.

Let's try following up on that other lead, about Frank's stuff still lying around in his apartment somewhere.

Ah... sorry, but I hardly know you.
Aw, come on. You can trust me.
I really don't think so. Sorry.

I love Joey's creepy-rear end smile :3: He pulls it out so often in Convergence.

Rosa and Joey head back home to nut this one out.

I'm not sure it means anything. Nutty spook like that. You've got to filter out all the crazy before anything makes sense.
It's worth looking into, isn't it?
If you think so.

I don't know... in Frank's case, if you filtered out all of the crazy nothing would be left over. Rosa's probably right.

Joey's mind is elsewhere, however.

Really?
Sure. If I had the right start in life. Or, you know, an actual LIFE.

Meanwhile, Rosa comes up with a terrible idea.

I should tell Monique the truth about why I want to find Frank's apartment. She'd probably be more willing to help. You think that's a good idea?
Sure. It's worth a shot. What's the worst that could happen?

Joey lets it hang for a moment before quickly following himself up with:

Oh, right. She could call the cops and they'd lock you away. So, ah, better not do that. That Monique woman isn't going to spill. We need to find someone else who knew where Frank lived.
Maybe someone else who lived in that apartment?
Hm. Maybe.

There's a bit of a clue for how to find Frank's apartment. Have you figured it out yet? Don't worry if you haven't, a more blatant hint will come up soon!

Let's do a bit of research. The article goes on to say:

He claimed he was writing a book entitled the "Oral History of the World", and spent most of his time soliciting money (the "Joe Gould Fund") in order to keep working on it.

In reality, this book never existed, but his energy and enthusiasm was said to inspire other writers such as Joseph Mitchell.

Oh wow, Joseph Mitchell again? Let's research him as well.

Joseph Mitchell was on the staff of The New Yorker magazine for nearly 60 years, from 1938 until his dead in 1996. He was known for his plain-soken essays of eccentrics and unstable people on the fringes of society. Joseph Mitchell is also known for a legendary case of writer's block. After completing his last biography in 1964, he continued to go to his New Yorker office every day until his death, but never completed another article for the magazine.

Apparently Mitchell is now dead, though he lived for more than 20 years after Lauren and Joey met him in 1973. Sure enough, he stuck to his word and never wrote another article, although presumably he could have, since Lauren killed The Countess. But he's not to know that. I guess they never told him?

Again, like Mitchell, Joe Gould was a real person, who the real Joseph Mitchell did actually write about, and he really was a drifter who solicited money at The Minetta, ostensibly to write his "Oral History of the World" book that never actually existed, and claimed to be able to speak to seagulls. We'll see exactly how his story fits into the Blackwell universe soon enough!

Funny. I often wonder the same thing about you.
Hmph.

Hahaha :unsmith: I like the way Rosa's hmph portrait is effectively this game's version of a rimshot for all of Joey's one-liners :3:

I'd like to know more about Frank. At least, more than what Monique or that internet box has to say.
Who can we ask?
I dunno. We just gotta pound the pavement and ask around. I'm sure we'll find some cat with the info we need.

"Find some cat with the info we need"? You may have cottoned onto what is going on here.

:siren: The Minetta :siren:

First though, let's head back to the Minetta to ask about Joe Gould. Notice that it's now started to rain. Gilbert decided early to make rain a theme in Convergence, and so it will often rain throughout the game, although only at scripted points.

Sure. Ask away.
Have you ever heard of Joe Gould, or anything called the "Joe Gould fund?"
Heh. Yeah, you could say that. Sometimes I think they should just rename this place the "Joe Gould Bar" and be done with it.

He's only been here a few weeks and he's already aware of its history? I guess this Joe Gould guy must be pretty famous, considering he died over 50 years ago.

Really?
People hear about him, and come in here to ask about him. That's his portrait up there. Behind you. He died a long time ago.

The big portrait on the wall is apparently Joe Gould. We'll check him out in a minute, but first let's finish talking to the bartender.

He was a homeless guy who wandered the West Village in the 50s and 60s. He told some crazy stories, and people found it entertaining. So they gave him money for his food and his beer. He referred to the money as the "Joe Gould Fund." He also tried to write a book, or something.
He never finished it?
Nope.
Hey, sounds like your soulmate.

Harsh call, Joey. Rosa finished her book. She just couldn't find anyone willing to publish it :smith:

Anything else you can tell me about Joe Gould?
I don't know much else, sorry. If you want to know more, check in another time. Lots of artist types come in here. They all know about Joe Gould.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, Gilbert is something of a Joe Gould fan.

Here's a huge longshot. Maybe this guy is just the "cat" we need to speak to!!

You a groupie or something?
Ah... no. Not exactly.
Well either way, I can't help you.

Worth a shot.

Apparently this guy is Joe Gould. Looks half crazed, whoever he is.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present Joe Gould, sitting with several half-finished beers. Not sure why he wouldn't just finish one before moving to the next. Guess he was just that kind of insane homeless drifter.

Again, the Joe Gould portrait was based on one in the real-life Minetta. Gilbert claims he regularly sat underneath it as he wrote the first three Blackwell games.

To Gilbert's extreme disappointment, the portrait which had been prominently featured at The Minetta for decades, was removed entirely after the Minetta was renovated.

Okay, so in case the clues were too subtle for you, we need to find someone that lived in Frank's apartment, some "cat" if you will.

Yes, we need to find Frank's actual cat. If it's got a collar or a tag, we might be able to find Frank's phone number, or even his address.

Now that it's raining, the cat decides that she wants to come inside for the warmth.

Careful. That was Frank's cat. She's a mean one.

Looking from afar, Rosa sees a tag, just as we were hoping!

She's a little black cat. I don't recognize the breed. She's wearing a little collar with an ID tag.

Rosa approaches the cat, but as she mentioned in Legacy, animals usually hate her. And the one that didn't, Moti, probably should have.

Sure enough, when she tries to reach for the cat, she gets a handful of claws instead.

She tries again...

Ow! drat it.

And again...

Shhh. I'm not gonna hurt you.
Ow! Stupid cat.
Has that thing had all her shots? Last thing I need is for you to start frothing at the mouth.

And again...

I just want to look at your-
Ow!
Are you enjoying this?

This is pretty sad, Rosa.

It's sometimes easy to forget that animals can see me. Hey little fellah.

Maybe Joey will have more luck?

Adorably, Joey jiggles his tie while Ilsa plays with it :3:

With the cat distracted, Rosa creeps up behind it, while Monique no doubt wonders what on earth Rosa thinks she's doing.

All right, Ilsa. Let's see what's on your ID tag. Twelfth street and Avenue A. Hopefully that's where we need to be.

Bingo!

I swear, Rosa, every time you get near an animal, criminal thoughts start entering your head...

Join me tomorrow as we loot a dead actor's few remaining possessions for fun and profit!!

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 27, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So Joe Gould is like a New York Emperor Norton, huh? I like how Gilbert includes a lot of real life stuff. It makes it all feel like a hidden part of history.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

WickedHate posted:

So Joe Gould is like a New York Emperor Norton, huh? I like how Gilbert includes a lot of real life stuff. It makes it all feel like a hidden part of history.

Slightly less famous (judging from a cursory glance at Wikipedia, anyway!) but yes, that's a good analogy for Joe Gould. His wacky life and his relationship with Joseph Mitchell (who wrote two articles and a book about him) is a apparently a common undergraduate study for journalism students, and there is even an indie film about his life, "Joe Gould's Secret" (based on Mitchell's book) which earned a modest $500k at the box office, and which starred, of all people, Sir Ian Holm (most recently notable as Bilbo Baggins in the Peter Jackson LOTR/Hobbit movies) as Joe Gould.

I agree that having real-life characters woven into the storyline is a pretty cool touch. Once we've gotten further into the story, I'll talk a bit more about how the real-life tale plays into the fictional story here.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
According to Wikipedia, Joe Gould died in 1957. Seems like Gilbert messed up the timeline.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Either that or Rosa was just sloppy on her research, I guess!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
From now on, all plot holes will be blamed on Rosa. All of them.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

WickedHate posted:

From now on, all plot holes will be blamed on Rosa. All of them.

All the ghosts that should be haunting New York but aren't? Rosa.

Wow, we've just solved that mystery. Guess she did go on a ghost hunting spree.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I really disliked that bit with the cat, because it isn't really a puzzle at all. It basically completely relies on the old adventure game fallback of "if you can't progress, revisit all locations again." That one vague throwaway pun from Joey isn't nearly enough indication that you should, in fact, look for the actual animal "cat." I got stuck for quite a while at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It could be a lot worse.

Thank god these games haven't gotten too bad with adventure game logic, though drugging the dog pretty close.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 29, 2013

• Locked thread